Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 01:02:54 AM]

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 12:10:57 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by CountryRoads
[Today at 12:05:42 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[March 28, 2024, 08:47:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Wojo's seat  (Read 64491 times)

4everwarriors

• All American
Re: Wojo's seat
« Reply #200 on: December 05, 2017, 03:18:41 PM »
Bailey red shirting or what?

And, if Joey isn’t pencilled in as a starter, ya might as well have recruited Herro, then. What the fook, ai na?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #201 on: December 05, 2017, 03:19:12 PM »
We vastly overrate our program based on the amount of money spent. The amount of money MU pours into basketball is the price to overcome its inherent disadvantages vs its competition, and is sufficient to bring it back on to even footing in many respects. But it doesn't put it on a higher plane, or make it a uniquely desirable job.

Yep.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #202 on: December 05, 2017, 03:21:36 PM »
Based on the candidates who were viable that I know about when we landed Wojo, I guess it depends on your definition of viable. Well regarded assistant, absolutely. Established, proven HC...that's where I'm not so sure unless you are going into tier 2 (SWAC, MAEC, etc) conference (like Waddle or Harris being hired if they prove they're good.)

Like Shaka?

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #203 on: December 05, 2017, 03:26:02 PM »
So, you realize high school rankings don't always translate to college success, right?

Stealing Brew's name that player format:

RSCI top 100 rankings for Sam Hauser, Steve Taylor, Juan Anderson, and Sandy Cohen

Player 1.  #75
Player 2.  #81
Player 3.  #82
Player 4.  #94

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #204 on: December 05, 2017, 03:29:18 PM »
Stealing Brew's name that player format:

RSCI top 100 rankings for Sam Hauser, Steve Taylor, Juan Anderson, and Sandy Cohen

Player 1.  #75
Player 2.  #81
Player 3.  #82
Player 4.  #94
Can add on

Jamail Jones  #74
Erik Williams #67

If this doesn’t prove rankings are always accurate i don’t know what does  ::)
Maigh Eo for Sam

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #205 on: December 05, 2017, 03:34:03 PM »
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #206 on: December 05, 2017, 03:35:14 PM »
We vastly overrate our program based on the amount of money spent. The amount of money MU pours into basketball is the price to overcome its inherent disadvantages vs its competition, and is sufficient to bring it back on to even footing in many respects. But it doesn't put it on a higher plane, or make it a uniquely desirable job.

#parochialism
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #207 on: December 05, 2017, 03:36:47 PM »

Or a fired coach on the rebound.

That would send 4never back into a grain based diet...

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #208 on: December 05, 2017, 03:45:58 PM »

Or a fired coach on the rebound.

Crean baby! Taking a page out of the DePaul book of coaching hires.

Class71

• All American
« Reply #209 on: December 05, 2017, 03:46:37 PM »
My "or else" is simple - I'll continue to become less interested. I was a fanatic in the Al years, first as a student, then as a young alum. Never missed a home game, traveled often to see the Warriors. Still rooted for the team in the dark days of Dukiet but only made the Chicago to Milwaukee trip e few times a year. KO got me back on the bandwagon and Buzz got me to make the Chicago to Milwaukee trip 18 times a year again. Now I watch on TV. Still really want our guys to win but I can't get as excited over mediocrity as I do over excellence. OTOH, I'm not emailing the president or the AD about it. If they think Wojo is "the one" I'll wait a couple more seasons hoping they're right.

Know exactly how you feel. It is very disappointing to see how far the program has fallen. Wojo screams until he is hoarse but some just do not listen. I can accept the lack of talent of some of our players but the deliberate disregard of the coach is unacceptable. It is very hard to watch the same old flaws over and over again.
⛵⛵⛵⛵⛵

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #210 on: December 05, 2017, 03:47:23 PM »
Crean sucks
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #211 on: December 05, 2017, 03:53:39 PM »

What disadvantages would you say Marquette has as a basketball program or university that force us to outspend our most similar competition? I don't see MU as disadvantaged compared to any of the schools in the conference except for maybe Nova. We certainly shouldn't have to outspend Xavier, Butler, Creighton, or DePaul to be seen as equal.

Are we going to compete with Kentucky or Kansas for coaches? Of course not. But I don't see any reason why we couldn't land a top guy if/when we ever have to replace Wojo. If Wichita State, Butler and VCU can have top-tier coaching talent, I think we can too.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #212 on: December 05, 2017, 03:55:37 PM »
Sure, you will have the people that crow "see, told ya it takes 5 years to really see the effects", but that's just boasting to boast with no evidence to back it up, since Coaches HAVE rebuilt faster.

A few questions...

1) Can you cite for me some examples of coaches that have rebuilt faster and sustained that success at a similar program?

2) Who do you think would've done better had they been hired in the Spring of 2014?

3) Where were your expectations set for year 4 of the Wojo era?
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #213 on: December 05, 2017, 04:21:26 PM »
Well, the NCAA tournament committee placed MU 39th on their seeding S-curve.
Does that work for you?

Here's my point ... by every objective or unbiased measure I can come up with, Marquette exceeded their preseason expectations last year. So, to me at least, when someone comes here complaining about how they way underperformed, it doesn't jibe with reality.
Preseason expectations did not project that Creighton and Xavier would lose their point guards to injury. I still believe, if those injuries did not happen we would not of swept those teams. Go two and two in those games, we may of even missed out on NIT again. Give Wojo credit for taking advantage of the breaks he got last year. However, making the NCAA last year unfairly raised expectations for this year.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #214 on: December 05, 2017, 04:24:13 PM »
Preseason expectations did not project that Creighton and Xavier would lose their point guards to injury. I still believe, if those injuries did not happen we would not of swept those teams. Go two and two in those games, we may of even missed out on NIT again. Give Wojo credit for taking advantage of the breaks he got last year. However, making the NCAA last year unfairly raised expectations for this year.

Umm X still managed an elite 8 bid without their PG I think that was still a pretty big win
Maigh Eo for Sam

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #215 on: December 05, 2017, 04:30:20 PM »
Umm X still managed an elite 8 bid without their PG I think that was still a pretty big win
We beat them twice during their big losing streak. They got going again, when they beat DePaul in Big East tournament. Had they lost to DePaul they would not of got a bid.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #216 on: December 05, 2017, 04:35:09 PM »
What I find ironic is Wojo, who was a point guard, has trouble recruiting point guards.

The new arena will not see an increase in attendance. Someone who wants to see the new arena needs to go to only one game to do that and there are a lot more buck's games than MU games to choose from.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #217 on: December 05, 2017, 04:42:38 PM »
4ever

Joey is starting, regardless of folks on here think.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #218 on: December 05, 2017, 04:48:26 PM »
4ever

Joey is starting, regardless of folks on here think.

I guess I'm guilty of setting the bar a little lower so that I'm pleasantly surprised if Joey starts and plays 28+ mpg.  Some of the people expecting Joey to start could end up mildly disappointed if he has a lesser role.  As it is, I expect about 22 mpg as a 6th man (starting no matta).  Hopefully his ankle heals up for next year!

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #219 on: December 05, 2017, 04:50:31 PM »
What I find ironic is Wojo, who was a point guard, has trouble recruiting point guards.

Wojo's first recruiting class included 4-star PG Traci Carter.
Wojo's second recruiting class included 4-star PG Markus Howard.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #220 on: December 05, 2017, 09:02:24 PM »
Bump  ;D
Have some patience, FFS.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #221 on: December 05, 2017, 09:23:49 PM »
I think this thread can be summed up pretty much like this:

There are two groups of fans, one who sets season expectations based on where the program should be and one that sets season expectations based on where the program currently is. Both want the program to be in the same place. Neither is wrong. Neither is a bad group fans. Just different ways of viewing the same thing.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

NorthernDancerColt

• All American
« Reply #222 on: December 05, 2017, 09:25:57 PM »
Bump  ;D
Speaking of "bump", Steve Bardo is changing his announcer handle to Markus'sSoreTailbone.
Zenyatta has a lot....a lot... of ground to make up. She gets there from here she’d be a super horse......what’s this.....Zenyatta hooked to the grandstand side....Zenyatta flying on the outside....this....is...un-belieeeeeevable!...looked impossible at the top of the stretch...

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #223 on: December 05, 2017, 09:32:52 PM »
Bump  ;D

I'm sure this is mostly just tongue in cheek, but let's not oversell a win over a small mid-major at home. This was a great performance with a lot of positives, but we should be expected to win this kind of game at home. Not trying to be a downer here or nit pick the game, but tonight isn't the kind of W that makes a difference for a coach's standing. This one isn't going on a t-shirt any time soon.... right?

NorthernDancerColt

• All American
« Reply #224 on: December 05, 2017, 09:40:24 PM »
I'm sure this is mostly just tongue in cheek, but let's not oversell a win over a small mid-major at home. This was a great performance with a lot of positives, but we should be expected to win this kind of game at home. Not trying to be a downer here or nit pick the game, but tonight isn't the kind of W that makes a difference for a coach's standing. This one isn't going on a t-shirt any time soon.... right?

So you're saying this win catAMOUNTS TO NOTHING!! TShirt Presses Rolling!!
Zenyatta has a lot....a lot... of ground to make up. She gets there from here she’d be a super horse......what’s this.....Zenyatta hooked to the grandstand side....Zenyatta flying on the outside....this....is...un-belieeeeeevable!...looked impossible at the top of the stretch...

feedback