[Today at 07:27:40 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by lawdog77
[Today at 07:14:12 PM]

Maximilian Langenfeld by Tyler COLEk
[Today at 07:03:51 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Uncle Rico
[Today at 05:33:25 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Wojo's seat  (Read 65290 times)

MU82

• All American
Wojo's seat
« on: December 02, 2017, 06:33:08 PM »
In other threads, the warmth of Wojo's seat is again a topic of conversation.

I get it, I really do. We all want Marquette to be not just good but great, Wojo is in Year 4, we seem to be taking a step backward after a general upward trend, many of us are frustrated, he doesn't seem to have command of his huddles, we keep making the same mistakes, etc, etc, etc.

But I'm curious to know what the "or else" is.

In other words, let's say we lose the next two games - a mid-major Vermont at home, and on the road against an obviously mediocre-at-best F&cky team. Dozens of Scoopers will declare Wojo's seat to be hot - or at least saying they think it should be. Some might even say something like, "If we don't improve, and quickly, Marquette has to consider going another direction."

Or else what? You will withhold contributions to the MU general fund until Wojo is fired and a "real" coach is hired? You won't use your season tickets for the rest of this season and won't renew for next season? You will refuse to buy any MU gear until we make the NCAAs again? You will email Lovell and/or Scholl to complain - multiple times if you feel you're not being heard? You will go to games and boo the team mercilessly? What?

Over the last couple of years, I have seen comments from some folks and have responded with the one-liner, "Or else what?" I was clearly being snide. I'm not being snide here. I genuinely want to know what actions folks who are frustrated beyond the pale are prepared to do.

Thanks in advance.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

4everwarriors

• All American
Re: Wojo's seat
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2017, 06:42:03 PM »
Go out ta dinner, read a book, talk to humans, invest the bread in somethin’ that’ll appreciate, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2017, 06:43:35 PM »
This year:

Rowsey/Howard
Howard/Elliott
Anim/Cain
Hauser/Cain/Anim
Heldt/John/Hauser

Next year:

Howard/hopefully a grad transfer
Elliott/Anim/Bailey
S Hauser/Cain/Bailey
J Hauser/Morrow/S Hauser
Morrow/Froling/Heldt/John/Eke

His seat is ice cold if for no other reason than we upgrade gigantically in talent and depth next year. If we aren’t a top 6 seed in the NCAA Tournament next year his seat warmer should be going on. And that team only graduates Heldt.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2017, 06:45:40 PM »
Barry said Paul saved da program. Perhaps we knead a water walkin’ dude, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2017, 06:51:00 PM »
This year:

Rowsey/Howard
Howard/Elliott
Anim/Cain
Hauser/Cain/Anim
Heldt/John/Hauser

Next year:

Elliott/Anim/Bailey
S Hauser/Cain/Bailey
J Hauser/Morrow/S Hauser

His seat is ice cold if for no other reason than we upgrade gigantically in talent and depth next year. If we aren’t a top 6 seed in the NCAA Tournament next year his seat warmer should be going on. And that team only graduates Heldt.
Agree with this. The jury is adjourned this year. Next year is a different story
No Finish Line

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2017, 06:52:15 PM »
Agree with this. The jury is adjourned this year. Next year is a different story

+1

revive this thread near the end of NEXT season

AZWarrior

• All American
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2017, 06:57:20 PM »
This year:

Rowsey/Howard
Howard/Elliott
Anim/Cain
Hauser/Cain/Anim
Heldt/John/Hauser

Next year:

Elliott/Anim/Bailey
S Hauser/Cain/Bailey
J Hauser/Morrow/S Hauser

Do you predict Howard will be an effective point guard?

I seem to recall him having difficulty bringing the ball up against pressure.  Maybe I'm wrong on this.  I hope I'm wrong on this.

We may have increased talent and depth next year, but without an effective PG we will not have an effective offense, especially against pressure.
All this talk of rights.  So little talk of responsibilities.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2017, 06:58:18 PM »

I get it, I really do. We all want Marquette to be not just good but great, Wojo is in Year 4, we seem to be taking a step backward after a general upward trend, many of us are frustrated, he doesn't seem to have command of his huddles, we keep making the same mistakes, etc, etc, etc.

In other words, let's say we lose the next two games - a mid-major Vermont at home, and on the road against an obviously mediocre-at-best F&cky team. Dozens of Scoopers will declare Wojo's seat to be hot - or at least saying they think it should be. Some might even say something like, "If we don't improve, and quickly, Marquette has to consider going another direction."

Or else what? You will withhold contributions to the MU general fund until Wojo is fired and a "real" coach is hired? You won't use your season tickets for the rest of this season and won't renew for next season? You will refuse to buy any MU gear until we make the NCAAs again? You will email Lovell and/or Scholl to complain - multiple times if you feel you're not being heard? You will go to games and boo the team mercilessly? What?

Over the last couple of years, I have seen comments from some folks and have responded with the one-liner, "Or else what?" I was clearly being snide. I'm not being snide here. I genuinely want to know what actions folks who are frustrated beyond the pale are prepared to do.

Thanks in advance.

This is exactly what I intend to do...I'm just tired of the program "spinning it's wheels". Honestly, If it weren't for so many losses at home the last few years(to teams they are better or equal to), I might feel differently, but that's the part that is beyond frustrating to me.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2017, 06:59:04 PM »
+1

revive this thread near the end of NEXT season

And there it is...the "wait till next year" mantra that's been stated numerous times here.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2017, 06:59:42 PM »
start a poll?

tower912

• All American
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2017, 07:05:54 PM »
Cool as a cucumber. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2017, 07:11:46 PM »
Win or lose, Wojo is not going anywhere.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2017, 07:20:36 PM »
Do you predict Howard will be an effective point guard?

I seem to recall him having difficulty bringing the ball up against pressure.  Maybe I'm wrong on this.  I hope I'm wrong on this.

We may have increased talent and depth next year, but without an effective PG we will not have an effective offense, especially against pressure.

That was the worry and why I hope for a grad transfer at PG. If we can bring that in then he plays the same roll as he has his first 2 years. Start off the ball and be a secondary ball handler.

I was VERY worried about his ability to play the PG effectively early in the year. He has looked capable lately though. But it would still be, in my opinion, the biggest concern for next year if it’s Howard backed up by Elliott.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2017, 07:21:37 PM »
How’s Greg Gard’s arse?  Maybe Bo will come back from Exile Island, like Fulmer?

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2017, 08:03:43 PM »
Go out ta dinner, read a book, talk to humans, invest the bread in somethin’ that’ll appreciate, hey?

Bingo, Doc!

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2017, 09:02:32 PM »
Coach Wojo is what Marquette needs.  Super young team, nice class coming in, new building next year.  They will be picked as a top 3 team in the conference next season.  Still should surprise a few teams this season, but may lose a few games they shouldn't.  Lack of depth, youth = mistakes.
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

GE911

• Walk-On
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2017, 09:31:13 PM »
Coach Wojo is what Marquette needs.  Super young team, nice class coming in, new building next year.  They will be picked as a top 3 team in the conference next season.  Still should surprise a few teams this season, but may lose a few games they shouldn't.  Lack of depth, youth = mistakes.

This sounds like something a DePaul fan would say.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2017, 09:37:39 PM »

According to you, Wojo can go 0-28 and not loose his job. Since when is he coaching 4th grade soccer?

Since I'm new here, maybe I misunderstood what you are saying. Is your statement an indictment of the MU AD and president? I am not "in the know" about MU's administration and it's expectations for the flagship program of the university but I find it hard to believe that any institution in the Big East would be indifferent about the performance of it's basketball team.

For the record, I feel that Wojo, short of a disaster season (less than 10  wins) should be here next year and hopefully more.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2017, 09:43:43 PM »
This year:

Rowsey/Howard
Howard/Elliott
Anim/Cain
Hauser/Cain/Anim
Heldt/John/Hauser

Next year:

Elliott/Anim/Bailey
S Hauser/Cain/Bailey
J Hauser/Morrow/S Hauser

wades, nowhere did I say Wojo is or should be on the hot seat. I don't think he is. I am just curious about what those who feel his seat should be hot are "doing" about it.

guru being guru, he said what he will do - basically, stop acknowledging the existence of Marquette basketball until it's "fixed." Not sure I totally believe him because, based on what he's said for years, he'd be lost without MU hoops. But maybe.

I like knowing what's going on in the noggins of my fellow Scoopers.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2017, 09:49:13 PM »
wades, nowhere did I say Wojo is or should be on the hot seat. I don't think he is. I am just curious about what those who feel his seat should be hot are "doing" about it.

guru being guru, he said what he will do - basically, stop acknowledging the existence of Marquette basketball until it's "fixed." Not sure I totally believe him because, based on what he's said for years, he'd be lost without MU hoops. But maybe.

I know. I’m saying that even if Wojo doesn’t deserve our faith, the talent next year is undeniable with the obvious need of a PG that can contribute right away. Even if people think Wojo is hopeless, it’s worth seeing how next year goes. And then next year Heldt is our only graduating player, so the year after next should be even better.

This year is going to be frustrating. We’re small and thin. Cheatham leaving was a big blow for this year. But if we can pick up a PG in the offseason it could help us in the long run. I think the early departure of players expected to contribute is an issue and is certainly partly on Wojo. It’s why MU is not where they should be right now. But next year I’m of the belief MU will be where we should be.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2017, 10:14:35 PM »

Thanks in advance.

My "or else" is simple - I'll continue to become less interested. I was a fanatic in the Al years, first as a student, then as a young alum. Never missed a home game, traveled often to see the Warriors. Still rooted for the team in the dark days of Dukiet but only made the Chicago to Milwaukee trip e few times a year. KO got me back on the bandwagon and Buzz got me to make the Chicago to Milwaukee trip 18 times a year again. Now I watch on TV. Still really want our guys to win but I can't get as excited over mediocrity as I do over excellence. OTOH, I'm not emailing the president or the AD about it. If they think Wojo is "the one" I'll wait a couple more seasons hoping they're right.

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2017, 10:35:04 PM »
I doubt the Top 3 conference pick next year.

Class71

• All American
« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2017, 10:49:28 PM »
[/quote
 The administration thinks Wojo walks on water, win or loose since he give the  team the right image?  I assume winning games is, shall we say, secondary? 
⛵⛵⛵⛵⛵

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2017, 11:15:29 PM »
The way we talk with our most spending in college stuff, I think he should be gone.  But I also believe in guys getting better. So I actually think that Wojo will improve.  And unless we hire Buzz, we’re going to regress. 
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2017, 11:42:20 PM »
The truth is, I don't think MU has much of a chance of finding a coach who is so much better than Wojo that its worth another year of no/practically no recruits as the recruitis that Wojo has for whatever year he's replaced scatter to the winds after he is let go, and the rebuilding process starts all over again.

To get to the next level what this program needs is some Freaking stability.

People forget how almost every school that lets its coach go starts out the the hunt for a replacement with very high expectations only to find that hiring away a top coach is much more difficult then it used to be.  How many schools thought they could get Buzz? Shaka? Marshall from Wichita?  There are no more McGuires from a Belmont Abbey who are building programs where their team plays all away games because they have no home court.

In my case, I believe its spyders spinning webs.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2017, 11:44:12 PM by 4everCrean »
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.