[Today at 08:12:40 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by WhiteTrash
[Today at 07:58:02 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by MU82
[Today at 04:38:12 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Uncle Rico
[Today at 04:09:20 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Wojo's seat  (Read 65366 times)

wadesworld

• All American
Re: Wojo's seat
« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2017, 11:56:41 PM »
Win or lose, Wojo is not going anywhere.
[/quote
 The administration thinks Wojo walks on water, win or loose since he give the  team the right image?  I assume winning games is, shall we say, secondary?

More like the administration, unlike most MUScoopers, understands that a complete tear down and rebuild like MU is going through takes a bit of time and patience is necessary.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2017, 12:19:46 AM »
More like the administration, unlike most MUScoopers, understands that a complete tear down and rebuild like MU is going through takes a bit of time and patience is necessary.

Dude, it’s a basketball team, not football. This rebuild stuff is old. Can’t have a revolving door of transfers or every year it’s a rebuild. Plenty of coaches in basketball are rolling by year 4. Who know what next year will bring , but if history is any indication, somebody will be leaving so I would not be making big predictions just yet.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #27 on: December 03, 2017, 12:36:53 AM »
Dude, it’s a basketball team, not football. This rebuild stuff is old. Can’t have a revolving door of transfers or every year it’s a rebuild. Plenty of coaches in basketball are rolling by year 4. Who know what next year will bring , but if history is any indication, somebody will be leaving so I would not be making big predictions just yet.

Who ever said it was football? That’s weird.

I don’t really care what other coaches did with other programs. Obviously different situations.

Thankfully you aren’t the one making decisions around here. If coaches needed to make big splashes by year 3 of their coaching careers some of the greatest coaches in the history of sports would’ve never made it to year 4. Whether you want to be realistic or not, rebuilds take time.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #28 on: December 03, 2017, 12:48:00 AM »
Firing Wojo before we see what next season has in store would be an unforgivable mistake.

But it’s never gonna happen.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #29 on: December 03, 2017, 01:26:43 AM »
Front burner on...

vogue65

• All American
« Reply #30 on: December 03, 2017, 05:50:35 AM »
What am I missing?
Stop with the hook shots.
Stop driving into the Redwood forests with midgets.
Don't they have enough data to make those two simple changes?
I don't think coach realizes fully that his team is not DUKE.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #31 on: December 03, 2017, 06:43:27 AM »
This year:

Rowsey/Howard
Howard/Elliott
Anim/Cain
Hauser/Cain/Anim
Heldt/John/Hauser

Next year:
Here some go again. For some it is perpetually "next year" and "possibly" which is now the Wojo defense mantra. And this year as in past years, a middle of the pack BEast finish. We are fast becoming the mediocrity of the midwest. Wojo needs to be told to produce or move on. But wait..."next year we will be really good"...because a powerpoint demo and the internet told me so. Why settle for BEast championships (after all, it is a great conference with such high majors as Creighton, Butler and Providence) and deep runs in the NCAA, when we can always get a one and done in the NIT.

Howard/hopefully a grad transfer
Elliott/Anim/Bailey
S Hauser/Cain/Bailey
J Hauser/Morrow/S Hauser
Morrow/Froling/Heldt/John/Eke

His seat is ice cold if for no other reason than we upgrade gigantically in talent and depth next year. If we aren’t a top 6 seed in the NCAA Tournament next year his seat warmer should be going on. And that team only graduates Heldt.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #32 on: December 03, 2017, 06:45:21 AM »
+1

revive this thread near the end of NEXT season
Which will surely happen again this season and surely 10 games into next. And don't call me Surely.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #33 on: December 03, 2017, 06:46:52 AM »
Do you predict Howard will be an effective point guard?

I seem to recall him having difficulty bringing the ball up against pressure.  Maybe I'm wrong on this.  I hope I'm wrong on this.

We may have increased talent and depth next year, but without an effective PG we will not have an effective offense, especially against pressure.
Yes, we need to see if Derrick has any eligibility left.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #34 on: December 03, 2017, 06:51:30 AM »
Win or lose, Wojo is not going anywhere.
Well......that's it then....we are stuck with mediocrity....because Al ain't walking through that door again...or O'Neil, or Crean. So we need to accept 9-9 each year in the BEast. After all, we ain't Wisky with final 4 runs in us.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #35 on: December 03, 2017, 07:12:24 AM »
The way we talk with our most spending in college stuff, I think he should be gone.  But I also believe in guys getting better. So I actually think that Wojo will improve.  And unless we hire Buzz, we’re going to regress. 

The most spending in college basketball thing isn’t really accurate. Marquette is dedicated to basketball. It’s very obvious. 

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #36 on: December 03, 2017, 07:42:30 AM »
Well......that's it then....we are stuck with mediocrity....because Al ain't walking through that door again...or O'Neil, or Crean.

To borrow one of his favorite phrases, Crean would "crawl on his hands and knees from Bloomington to Milwaukee" to get the MU job back. Fortunately, nobody at Marquette wants him.

fjm

• All American
« Reply #37 on: December 03, 2017, 08:07:59 AM »
Ice cold.
Huge recruiting class next year with some real talented players. (Morrow was a beast in the B1G)

Also, yes it's slow progress but this is technically season 3 of rebuild.
He's doing it right. The administration will keep him for quite a while.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #38 on: December 03, 2017, 08:12:41 AM »
Wojo is not yet on the hot seat. But there are some things that are concerning.

1) Yesterday's game and, indeed, much of this year, has been a very strong disappointment. The team is still "young" but we are making fundamental mistakes. The turnovers, the sloppiness, poor shot selection, our poor interior game, the fouls and living and dying only by the three ball. Those things are on the coaches. We've had the same problem for three years now and things do not get materially better. To be candid, we made the tournament last year because of an incredible victory over Villanova. Had we had the same record without the Villanova win, we'd have been in the NIT.

2) People talk about expectations. Since the Hillbilly ignited things and moved us closer to where many of us think we should be, seeing our beloved Warriors sink to a very mediocre basketball team that can't beat an even more mediocre team is troublesome. Our expectations should be for an annual tournament berth, competitive for the Big East and competitive for Sweet 16 and Final Four. Some of us, including this Scooper, believe we should be moving toward another banner next to 1977's.

3) I understand rebuilding. Wojo's first year was on on us. We're now in the fourth year. The recruiting has been good, yes. But not good enough to overcome the problems in Item 1, above.

4) For Marquette, expectations translate into attendance and net income. If the enthusiasm isn't there, the attendance and consequently the net income won't be either. We're moving into a new arena and I can bet costs just skyrocketed. If our team continues on its current path, revenues will be down because folks just won't continue to pay to see a very undisciplined, fundamentally mediocre team. The alumni that drives up from Chicago for weekends or stays for the game after a business meeting in Milwaukee will watch on it on TV or, go do the grocery shopping!

I recognize starting over would be a disaster. Wojo is where Majerus was in the mid-1980s, learning on the job. You hope that by staying with him, we end up with what the University of Utah had with our cast-off. I'm also not advocating we go down the start over route because the chances are too high we end up with a new version of Bob Dukiet. That pushes the rebuild out beyond my reasonable expectation for a remaining lifespan.

Yes, I'm frustrated. I bleed blue and gold and remember fondly the "good ole days." I'm hopeful for next year and maybe yet for this year. But I'm NOT a Cub fan and "wait 'til next year" is repugnant.

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #39 on: December 03, 2017, 08:18:11 AM »
Wojo is not yet on the hot seat. But there are some things that are concerning.

1) Yesterday's game and, indeed, much of this year, has been a very strong disappointment. The team is still "young" but we are making fundamental mistakes. The turnovers, the sloppiness, poor shot selection, our poor interior game, the fouls and living and dying only by the three ball. Those things are on the coaches. We've had the same problem for three years now and things do not get materially better. To be candid, we made the tournament last year because of an incredible victory over Villanova. Had we had the same record without the Villanova win, we'd have been in the NIT.

2) People talk about expectations. Since the Hillbilly ignited things and moved us closer to where many of us think we should be, seeing our beloved Warriors sink to a very mediocre basketball team that can't beat an even more mediocre team is troublesome. Our expectations should be for an annual tournament berth, competitive for the Big East and competitive for Sweet 16 and Final Four. Some of us, including this Scooper, believe we should be moving toward another banner next to 1977's.

3) I understand rebuilding. Wojo's first year was on on us. We're now in the fourth year. The recruiting has been good, yes. But not good enough to overcome the problems in Item 1, above.

4) For Marquette, expectations translate into attendance and net income. If the enthusiasm isn't there, the attendance and consequently the net income won't be either. We're moving into a new arena and I can bet costs just skyrocketed. If our team continues on its current path, revenues will be down because folks just won't continue to pay to see a very undisciplined, fundamentally mediocre team. The alumni that drives up from Chicago for weekends or stays for the game after a business meeting in Milwaukee will watch on it on TV or, go do the grocery shopping!

I recognize starting over would be a disaster. Wojo is where Majerus was in the mid-1980s, learning on the job. You hope that by staying with him, we end up with what the University of Utah had with our cast-off. I'm also not advocating we go down the start over route because the chances are too high we end up with a new version of Bob Dukiet. That pushes the rebuild out beyond my reasonable expectation for a remaining lifespan.

Yes, I'm frustrated. I bleed blue and gold and remember fondly the "good ole days." I'm hopeful for next year and maybe yet for this year. But I'm NOT a Cub fan and "wait 'til next year" is repugnant.
what he said. 

and there is nothing wrong  with goose and 4ever demanding excellence.  that's how you become excellent.

burger

• All American
« Reply #40 on: December 03, 2017, 08:23:20 AM »
WOJO for not realizing to play Elliott, Rousey, and Howard in 3 guard line up to rain 3's down on those guys.....The time outs.....Everything......

Just a poorly coached game.....

I totally disagree with starting Elliott......You punch them in the nose.....Take that 10 point lead.....and then bring in Elliott.....How many games do we start out on fire and have to let the other team catch up......That is "our" method......The Elliott starting and Howard fouls led to 3 points in the first 5 minutes or something like that......Terrible.....

PS.....How does that Vermont game look now......At least if we lose......It won't be like 30ish like Bucky at home......Gard will be on thin ice.....Especially considering it does not like he is a great recruiter either.....

WOJO clearly not on the hot seat until end of next year......But I think next year will be Sweet 16 min.....

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #41 on: December 03, 2017, 08:28:34 AM »
Or else what? You will withhold contributions to the MU general fund until Wojo is fired and a "real" coach is hired?

This where perspective is important. Giving to the AMF is not a function of basketball wins and losses. It's a function of your belief in what Marquette is doing as a university -- educating and preparing people to lead exemplary lives.

Yes, I'm disappointed by our basketball team so far this year. I'll bet Dr. Lovell is too! At least in some ways. But what I give to Marquette is dependent on the mission of the university and not the wins and losses of our basketball team.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #42 on: December 03, 2017, 08:36:46 AM »
dgies

I agree with your statement completely. I have stated for years that it would be great to know what school wants from the program. My guy says that aside from a bit more success on the court, they are happy with the program as a whole. I have no problem with it that is the case. My only issue, they give impression that they want to be a big time program, but accept mid level success.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #43 on: December 03, 2017, 09:11:21 AM »
I have stated for years that it would be great to know what school wants from the program.

Cash flow. As long as the cash flows, the university is getting what it wants and needs. But when it doesn't........

That's what concerns me. For Marquette to get what it needs, it needs strong cash flow from basketball. That's not going to happen if the program languishes too much longer.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #44 on: December 03, 2017, 09:19:01 AM »
dgies

100% correct across the board. That said, I think they believe the base is there and will keep supporting the program.

Daniel

• All American
« Reply #45 on: December 03, 2017, 09:37:26 AM »
Wojo’s seat is air-conditioned.  Next year will be the year he makes it or does not. Until then, carry on.

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #46 on: December 03, 2017, 09:46:24 AM »
what he said. 

and there is nothing wrong  with goose and 4ever demanding excellence.  that's how you become excellent.
random old guys anonymously demanding excellence on an internet forum is how the program will become excellent?????

That's bizarre.

Just in case you are right, I DEMAND EXCELLENCE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

lohaus

• Starter
« Reply #47 on: December 03, 2017, 09:51:08 AM »
I wouldn't call Wojo seat hot. We lost to #8 Wichita State, Purdue, and Georgia. We are sitting at 5-3.  I think we win at least 3 of the next 4 and hopefully 4 out of 4. I haven't really heard of any player sexual assaults, bar fights, or any of that other crap.

I guess it depends on what the Beast season brings.  Am I happy with a 500 record in the Beast? I am if it squeaks us into the NCAA tourney again. Man, I will be really disappointed with NIT or some other crappy post season tournament.

Or else? I won't spend my money making the trip to Milwaukee for 3 games a year. I won't watch on tv as much.  My expectations are easy to meet because I was on campus during the Mike Deane years and just wishing we would be consistent NCAA.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #48 on: December 03, 2017, 09:52:05 AM »
Atl MU Warrior

I hope Marquette is a success on and off the court. I believe on court success makes the off court success easier. I am not demanding anything from anyone. Not sure why everyone feels a need to jump on everyone that has a different viewpoint.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #49 on: December 03, 2017, 09:53:46 AM »
Cash flow. As long as the cash flows, the university is getting what it wants and needs. But when it doesn't........

That's what concerns me. For Marquette to get what it needs, it needs strong cash flow from basketball. That's not going to happen if the program languishes too much longer.

I think a big part of what they want is consistency. Look at the top of the league. Wright has been at Nova 17 years. Mack, Willard, and Cooley are at 9, 8, and 7 years. I don't know if Wojo is the long term answer, but unless we could replace him with a true marquee name, we'd likely be turning the clock back 4 years.

The next two years we'll get the first true glimpses of Wojo's vision. If we become a perennial NCAA team starting in 2019 with the potential for some deep runs, I think that's the hope. If not, then I think they start considering alternatives in 2020.

Patience sucks, but the consensus top-4 in the league all entered the year with coaches that had double Wojo's tenure. Building and sustaining a winner takes a lot of time. We were spoiled by Buzz and burned by his fallout. Wojo is far from perfect to date, but there's enough reason for optimism that I think he still has a couple years of rope left.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.