[Today at 09:58:46 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Viper
[Today at 09:52:10 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by MU Fan in Connecticut
[Today at 09:25:35 AM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by MarquetteDano
[Today at 09:22:06 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Wojo's seat  (Read 64499 times)

Spaniel with a Short Tail

• All American
Re: Wojo's seat
« Reply #425 on: February 04, 2018, 01:15:51 PM »
Wojo’s seat is as Ice Cold as a Miller High Life left outside on a January night in Milwaukee.

Tough three game stretch. We came up short. Call next game. That job won’t be decided over three games.

Mmmmmm...

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #426 on: February 04, 2018, 01:16:48 PM »
The only place that Wojo's seat is hot is on internet forums.    And so many of the young guys and incoming recruits chose MU BECAUSE of Wojo that if he were fired,  the next coach's rebuild would be more daunting than Wojo's.

I'm firmly in the camp of giving Wojo at least one more year and I'm sure the MU admin is not considering a change now. That said, I don't see any harm in some fans questioning his performance and future at MU. Trump will be our president for at least three more years, should we shut down any criticism of him by stating "his seat is ice cold and he's not going anywhere for three more years"?

Just curious, seems to me if a coach like Wojo was so dynamic and successful that his departure would gut a program we would be hearing a lot of rumors of him for other "bigger" jobs, no? I think the one thing everyone on this board can agree on (well maybe also the day of the week) is that no other school is looking to hire our coach.   

Also, should the day ever come that MU's admin comes to the conclusion that Wojo is not the man for the job I hope they don't fall hostage to the cowardly mentality of "who can we get that is better?" or "if we fire him, all the players will leave".  MU is a world class institution and Wojo and the players should feel honored to represent this great university and so will anyone who is fortunate enough to be part of the men's basketball program in the future.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #427 on: February 04, 2018, 03:02:19 PM »
We all know the future, right?

As Brew has noted, it's still a 50/50 shot for the NCAAs this year (yay, math!). 

Zero chance Wojo is fired in 2 months, however our record this year.

2019 MU will have more experience, and new recruits.  We'll be north of 9 wins in the BE next year, which means MU is in the NCAAs next year = Wojo not fired in 2019.

2020, MU should again be north of 9 BE wins, and NCAA again.  No coach gets fired the year he makes the NCAAs.

2021 is the season to watch.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #428 on: February 04, 2018, 03:47:42 PM »
We all know the future, right?

As Brew has noted, it's still a 50/50 shot for the NCAAs this year (yay, math!). 

Zero chance Wojo is fired in 2 months, however our record this year.

2019 MU will have more experience, and new recruits.  We'll be north of 9 wins in the BE next year, which means MU is in the NCAAs next year = Wojo not fired in 2019.

2020, MU should again be north of 9 BE wins, and NCAA again.  No coach gets fired the year he makes the NCAAs.

2021 is the season to watch.

I'll sign up for this. Maybe a Sweet Sixteen in there too?

jaygall31

• Team Captain
  • Just get shots up...Turnovers are what KILL you.
« Reply #429 on: February 04, 2018, 08:17:53 PM »
If our defense doesn't improve we won't be north of 9 wins.
It's not about ME,
It's about US.

genious expert

• Team Captain
« Reply #430 on: February 04, 2018, 10:12:27 PM »
I’ll take any sort of stability over changing coaches every other year like this board wants. Do we really want another rebuild from nothing after what we’ve just been through? Name me a coach we can get that will turn it around in 2 years?

MU82

• All American
« Reply #431 on: February 04, 2018, 10:26:25 PM »
Not including tangents, there are 2 topics here.

1. Is Wojo's seat getting warmer?

2. Should Wojo's seat be getting warmer?

The answers to the latter question are based upon opinions. "We are underachieving, so he should be on the hot seat" ... "He sucks, so he should be fired" ... "We should give him at least until this next recruiting class has a couple of years to play" ... "The cupboard was empty and he's just now building something, so firing him now and starting over would be counterproductive" ... etc. Even if one thinks his or her opinion is based upon sound reasoning, the answers are subjective.

The answers to No. 1 are fact-based. People who are plugged in to how university brass think say Wojo's seat is not even the tiniest bit warm.

So the disgruntled among us can opine and whine that Wojo should be in big trouble, but that's all it is: opining and letting off steam because Wojo simply isn't on the hot seat. And yes, the same people would have been whining about K in his early days at Duke, about Wright in his early days at Nova, etc, etc.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MU82

• All American
« Reply #432 on: February 04, 2018, 10:41:19 PM »
Here's Coach K on trying to motivate his team against St. John's:

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/article198288464.html?#emlnl=Sports_Newsletter&id=bWlrZW5hZGVsQHNiY2dsb2JhbC5uZXQ=

“It was disgusting, really,” Krzyzewski said of Duke’s play. “ No matter what we said, nothing worked with our team – until the last eight minutes, and then we had a chance to win.

“You can say ‘why?’ Look, I do not know why. I can tell you that that’s not the group that I have coached all year. And they were a very frustrating group to coach today, because they did not respond to anything.”

Bottom line:

One of the greatest coaches in the history of college sports couldn't motivate his team in its game against a team that is winless in Big East play. Just thought it was interesting in the context of discussing other coaches.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Small Orange Soda

• Team Captain
« Reply #433 on: February 04, 2018, 11:14:44 PM »
I figured now that the dumpster fire that Buzz left has been extinguished by Wojo that we'd be a tourney team.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #434 on: February 05, 2018, 12:06:05 AM »
If our defense doesn't improve we won't be north of 9 wins.

Our defense wasn't the problem against Providence.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #435 on: February 05, 2018, 01:17:21 PM »
Hay PR Nightmare, I  have a close friend, former co-worker, FEMA manager in Puerto Rico, we have no idea how bad it is.  Peace
Who?
Goal is National Championship

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #436 on: February 05, 2018, 01:28:06 PM »
Our defense wasn't the problem against Providence.

I believe that the disappointing losses lately have been the fault of the offense moreso than the D

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #437 on: February 05, 2018, 03:23:05 PM »
I know this is a long string of posts but I don't think Wojo's seat is hot.

I do think we have some problems. After four years of Wojo, we're still playing way too much "Hero Ball" as its called. First it was Matt Carlino (who probably had to be the hero), then Henry Ellenson, then Katlin Reinhardt and now the Rowsey/Howard combo.

Our opponents have figured us out. Let's em score inside if you must, but Marquette is not going to win if you contain the "3" ball. The fact that Rowsey has been in a slump during the past few games is indicative of that trend.

Our guys still don't have the confidence and moxey it takes to make me feel good when we're down a few and backed against the wall. That's coaching, pure and simple. You have to make your guys feel invincible and simply put, we're not there yet. They may not be invincible, but they have to feel that way and our guards have to know the (a), (b) and (c) options when they need a basket, one of which is not to find Rowsey and have him hurl one up from mid-court.

Next year, we hope we have the talent and depth to beat someone from anywhere. If we don't, something is really wrong. I'm going to go out on a limb and say that, on paper, we should be good for 12 or 13 Big East wins based on the advanced billing for our talent next year (and the hoopla surrounding our new arena). If we don't get that, there should be a lot of questions asked about the state of our program.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #438 on: February 05, 2018, 06:43:39 PM »
So much awesome in one GIF:
- are they playing at some sort of St. Patty's Valentine gig?
- should the bassist get immediate help for his scoliosis or is that necklace deceptively heavy?
- striped ascot.  bold choice but it works.
- "are we singing backup or doing equestrian training tonight?"...."i don't know but where your knee high boots just in case"

i have more but i'll stop

That is a video clip from one of the biggest hits of the early 2000's.  Don't tell me you have never seen it before.
Have some patience, FFS.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #439 on: February 05, 2018, 10:00:08 PM »
I believe that the disappointing losses lately have been the fault of the offense moreso than the D

Markus and Rowsey are way too easy to disrupt with length. Everyone in the league has length, so at worst our opponents have to weather the storm from one of them. Sometimes, like Howard at Providence, that's too much. More often than not, however, a good team can overcome one good performer.

Against Providence, we allowed 1.04 ppp. That should be good enough with our offense. But when they aren't executing, even good defense isn't enough.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #440 on: February 05, 2018, 10:52:35 PM »
That is a video clip from one of the biggest hits of the early 2000's.  Don't tell me you have never seen it before.
To my recollection, I have never seen it.  Early 2000's I was deep into RATM, NIN, RHCP with a bunch of Aimee Mann, RadioHead and Lenny Kravitz just to balance things off.  Who gave us this pure gold funk?

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #441 on: February 07, 2018, 07:10:19 AM »
To my recollection, I have never seen it.  Early 2000's I was deep into RATM, NIN, RHCP with a bunch of Aimee Mann, RadioHead and Lenny Kravitz just to balance things off.  Who gave us this pure gold funk?

OutKast!
https://youtu.be/PWgvGjAhvIw

NorthernDancerColt

• All American
« Reply #442 on: February 07, 2018, 07:24:12 AM »
Not including tangents, there are 2 topics here.

1. Is Wojo's seat getting warmer?

2. Should Wojo's seat be getting warmer?

The answers to the latter question are based upon opinions. "We are underachieving, so he should be on the hot seat" ... "He sucks, so he should be fired" ... "We should give him at least until this next recruiting class has a couple of years to play" ... "The cupboard was empty and he's just now building something, so firing him now and starting over would be counterproductive" ... etc. Even if one thinks his or her opinion is based upon sound reasoning, the answers are subjective.

The answers to No. 1 are fact-based. People who are plugged in to how university brass think say Wojo's seat is not even the tiniest bit warm.

So the disgruntled among us can opine and whine that Wojo should be in big trouble, but that's all it is: opining and letting off steam because Wojo simply isn't on the hot seat. And yes, the same people would have been whining about K in his early days at Duke, about Wright in his early days at Nova, etc, etc.

Phenomenal post!
Zenyatta has a lot....a lot... of ground to make up. She gets there from here she’d be a super horse......what’s this.....Zenyatta hooked to the grandstand side....Zenyatta flying on the outside....this....is...un-belieeeeeevable!...looked impossible at the top of the stretch...

NorthernDancerColt

• All American
« Reply #443 on: February 07, 2018, 07:30:36 AM »
This board would have run a number of high caliber coaches out of town. It's quite amusing.

No, I am not saying wojo is defined as high caliber.

But many coaches weren't in their first few years.

Thank You Thank You Thank You!

Zenyatta has a lot....a lot... of ground to make up. She gets there from here she’d be a super horse......what’s this.....Zenyatta hooked to the grandstand side....Zenyatta flying on the outside....this....is...un-belieeeeeevable!...looked impossible at the top of the stretch...

tower912

• All American
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

feedback