Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[Today at 02:07:56 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by tower912
[Today at 01:40:18 PM]

Banquet by tower912
[Today at 01:37:41 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[Today at 01:23:01 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 12:00:22 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 04:23:26 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by mugrad_89
[April 27, 2024, 12:29:11 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Wojo's seat  (Read 65486 times)

tower912

• All American
Re: Wojo's seat
« Reply #325 on: February 02, 2018, 03:48:21 PM »
Wardle.

Heard some info though that the admin loves Wojo and his seat is ice cold, regardless of NCAAs this year.

As it should be.   The admin got what they wanted as far as building and running a squeaky clean program.     This year, with the roster make up, should be a down year.     Admin is taking a long view.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #326 on: February 02, 2018, 03:50:15 PM »
Wardle.

Heard some info though that the admin loves Wojo and his seat is ice cold, regardless of NCAAs this year. Not the news I was hoping to hear.

Can you cite why exactly Wardle would do better at MU compared Wojo? I mean other than "he gets Marquette" because he played here.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #327 on: February 02, 2018, 03:51:38 PM »
As it should be.   The admin got what they wanted as far as building and running a squeaky clean program.     This year, with the roster make up, should be a down year.     Admin is taking a long view.

I disagree it should be a down year this year....I think it should be at worst a flat year compared to last year. If we don't make the NCAA we underachieved.

Having said this, if that happens this would be the first year we underachieved so I'm certainly not going to panic about it
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #328 on: February 02, 2018, 03:58:55 PM »
I disagree it should be a down year this year....I think it should be at worst a flat year compared to last year. If we don't make the NCAA we underachieved.

Marquette replaced JJJ (solid, four year player), Luke (best interior scorer), Duane (three year player) and Katin (solid grad transfer) with three freshmen, none of whom were highly ranked, and a mid-year transfer.

Yeah I know players develop from year to year.  But I have no idea you think this team should have been at the same level as last year.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #329 on: February 02, 2018, 04:04:28 PM »

Marquette replaced JJJ (solid, four year player), Luke (best interior scorer), Duane (three year player) and Katin (solid grad transfer) with three freshmen, none of whom were highly ranked, and a mid-year transfer.

Yeah I know players develop from year to year.  But I have no idea you think this team should have been at the same level as last year.

Difference between pre-season (I don't know the new players) and in-season (I know what we're capable of). The pieces we've lost haven't been replaced one for one but this year our talent is better than last year and our experience is less. For me it works out to be net neutral so we should expect a bid this season.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #330 on: February 02, 2018, 04:12:29 PM »
On a 1-10 scale,  a 6 talent with 4 years of experience usually beats an 8-9 talent with one year of experience.     See:   Mid-major upsets in the NCAA tourney.   It is almost always a team of 4 year guys upsetting a young talented team.     Or at least scaring the hell out of them.      I think that this group has a higher ceiling compared to last year's team, but it won't be reached this season.    I think Cain is going to be really good, but we have just seen him get thrown to the ground at a critical juncture by a 4th year junior with 25 lbs of muscle.     We have watched Theo and Greg's ups and downs.    I think Greg can start at the point next year and I am giddy about what Theo's ceiling as a junior or senior might be.   They have progressed well, a rebuttal to those who say Wojo can't develop talent.    But they were never supposed to be instant impact players and they aren't.     
My point is that if Wojo DOES turn this roster into a second weekend team, as Herman so blithely predicts, it will be a coaching job on a par with Buzz and the midgets. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #331 on: February 02, 2018, 04:18:07 PM »
Difference between pre-season (I don't know the new players) and in-season (I know what we're capable of). The pieces we've lost haven't been replaced one for one but this year our talent is better than last year and our experience is less. For me it works out to be net neutral so we should expect a bid this season.

I don't think our talent is better this year.

JJJ>>>>Jamal
Luke>>>>Theo
Duane = Greg (And I'm being generous here)
Katin and Harry are hard to compare

And yeah you essentially are replacing players who had a combined 15 years of experience with a combined half-year experience.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #332 on: February 02, 2018, 04:21:18 PM »
What's most troublesome to me is how badly the team is getting beat, losing at home, lack of player development and incomplete roster, seemingly being out coached, and a terrible defense. As for recruiting, I'd rate Wojo a 6 on a scale of 10 given the resources available to him. It all raises legitimate concerns as to the head coach's ability to lead this program back to elite status.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

tower912

• All American
« Reply #333 on: February 02, 2018, 04:25:40 PM »
What's most troublesome to me is how badly the team is getting beat, losing at home, lack of player development and incomplete roster, seemingly being out coached, and a terrible defense. As for recruiting, I'd rate Wojo a 6 on a scale of 10 given the resources available to him. It all raises legitimate concerns as to the head coach's ability to lead this program back to elite status.

I'm having trouble understanding.    Can you translate that into your usual jargon so I can figure out what you meant?

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #334 on: February 02, 2018, 04:26:40 PM »
Sho 'nough, Bro. It all sucks ass, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

tower912

• All American
« Reply #335 on: February 02, 2018, 04:41:43 PM »

Got it.  Thanks.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #336 on: February 02, 2018, 05:06:44 PM »

Incomplete roster for sure. I think there are legit questions about building a BE quality roster.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #337 on: February 02, 2018, 05:08:19 PM »

Goddammit that's funny

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #338 on: February 02, 2018, 05:09:33 PM »
I think this thread has resurfaced because of how truly bad the team played last night. I can't remember when a MU team gave no effort in a home game like that and I think that has a lot of fans upset thus a 'Wojo's seat' topic to the top of the board.

A single loss does not merit a call for Wojo's job nor does his record overall at MU in my opinion. But I think reasonable people/fans can disagree on that point. I believe with MU's resources, conference affiliation, fan support and history you can rationally argue that a coach could produce better results than Wojo has so far. On the other hand I believe he has done a good job overall and has the program headed in the right direction and I am willing to give him more time to get the program to a level of success that I think it can reasonably be at.

As for Wojo's seat, I heard earlier, coming into this season, that the people who matter were happy with the direction things were going and I suspect there has been nothing to change their opinion. But remember, as in most well run organizations, someone like Wojo's seat will be Ice Cold until the moment he is fired.

vogue65

• All American
« Reply #339 on: February 02, 2018, 05:22:39 PM »
Lets see after the new arena is being used as a selling point to new recruits, it should be the most impressive stadium in the country.  I expect good things down the
line in recruiting because I know one thing, MU has the budget to recruit and Wojo and group work there ass off trying to find good talent.

The recruits want an NBA track record, not a fancy arena.

vogue65

• All American
« Reply #340 on: February 02, 2018, 05:29:22 PM »
Your comment is a lot too light on the second "o" in "to."

Interesting, at first I used "too", but it did not look right.  I  looked up the deninition of to vs. too, I chose "to".
You may be right, but I did not want to say they are to, to, to young or too young, etc.
They are just a little to young, light, short, etc..
Thanks anyway, its better than talking about the games.

The BOT are happy, they have what they want,  a good image. 

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #341 on: February 02, 2018, 05:38:56 PM »
The recruits want an NBA track record, not a fancy arena.

I'm my experience they want both.

Interesting, at first I used "too", but it did not look right.  I  looked up the deninition of to vs. too, I chose "to".
You may be right, but I did not want to say they are to, to, to young or too young, etc.
They are just a little to young, light, short, etc..
Thanks anyway, its better than talking about the games.

The BOT are happy, they have what they want,  a good image. 

Happy for now. Good image is important. Winning is just as important.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

LloydsLegs

• All American
« Reply #342 on: February 02, 2018, 06:20:32 PM »
Goddammit that's funny

Yessir, dat sho is funny. 

Funny like Stepin Fetchit.

He can pretend whatever he wants, and I won’t bother to try to figure out where his heart is.  Maybe he really is obtuse (as Andy might say) and thinks the act is funny and not offensive and an embarrassment to this board and MU. 

But it’s not funny.  It is an embarrasment.  And it’s racist. 

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #343 on: February 02, 2018, 06:58:34 PM »
We are a little to slow, a little to short, a little to light, a little to young, a little to nice (not one thug), so we lose a little more than we win. 

The BOT got exactly what they wanted, a class act all the way around.   The low risk approach gets the results we see. 

I think we lose because we are not aggressive or athletic enough.  Can that be coached?

Recently, I really enjoyed watching V.Tec  beat NC, ND and BC.

I vote to stick with Wojo, I like the image.
Wojo is 100% responsible for this team.  Starting with the recruitment, training and coaching of the team.  He is highly paid to win.  This isn't high school.  Unfortunately he is not succeeding.  I wish it weren't so, but, it is what we see.

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #344 on: February 02, 2018, 07:22:14 PM »
Yessir, dat sho is funny. 

Funny like Stepin Fetchit.

He can pretend whatever he wants, and I won’t bother to try to figure out where his heart is.  Maybe he really is obtuse (as Andy might say) and thinks the act is funny and not offensive and an embarrassment to this board and MU. 

But it’s not funny.  It is an embarrasment.  And it’s racist.
OK, as one of the resident social liberals who doesn't see it, i have to ask....racist against whom?  My take was that his schtick was being a rural Wisconsinite, like one of the characters in Making a Murderer, amped up to 11. 

Edit: i had to look up Stepin Fetchit.  He's WAY more Allan Avery than Stepin Fetchit.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2018, 07:32:17 PM by naginiF »

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #345 on: February 02, 2018, 07:37:08 PM »
Two different situations. Wojo was an outsider who was given a dumpster fire and has made slow progress every season. We can also look ahead and see that the next two seasons will be great on paper at least.

Gard was an insider who was given a team that was expected to be a top competitor for at least the next two years. Badger fans are looking ahead and they see a 2018 recruiting class with 2 low three star recruits (one of whom is a walk on) and their highest rated recruit since Dekker decomitting. The future is a little more cloudy. And fair or not, the manner in which Gard got the job changes the expectations a little bit.

All that being said, I think it is premature for Gard's seat to get warm. A step back should have been expected this season with four starters graduating. They have a lot of losses but they are all to quality teams. The only "unacceptable" loss was the 25 point beatdown at home by Ohio State. Even if they miss the postseason this year, they have zero seniors and should be in a for a bounceback year. Now if that doesn't go as well.....then I think Gard's derriere starts to get a little sweaty.
I think your overly dramatic  by classifying MU as a dumpster fire at that time. Yes, it is true Buzz had lost the fire in the belly but we were coming off a winning season and Buzz had some decent recruits coming in. If he had stayed I doubt we would have had the train wreck we did in 2014-15.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

MomofMUltiples

• All American
« Reply #346 on: February 02, 2018, 08:29:12 PM »
I mean, OK, maybe he's secretly a serial killer who's pulled the wool over our eyes with his good deeds and smooth jumper - Pakuni (on Markus Howard)

UNC Eagle

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #347 on: February 02, 2018, 08:44:11 PM »
On a 1-10 scale,  a 6 talent with 4 years of experience usually beats an 8-9 talent with one year of experience.     See:   Mid-major upsets in the NCAA tourney.   It is almost always a team of 4 year guys upsetting a young talented team.     Or at least scaring the hell out of them.      I think that this group has a higher ceiling compared to last year's team, but it won't be reached this season.    I think Cain is going to be really good, but we have just seen him get thrown to the ground at a critical juncture by a 4th year junior with 25 lbs of muscle.     We have watched Theo and Greg's ups and downs.    I think Greg can start at the point next year and I am giddy about what Theo's ceiling as a junior or senior might be.   They have progressed well, a rebuttal to those who say Wojo can't develop talent.    But they were never supposed to be instant impact players and they aren't.     
My point is that if Wojo DOES turn this roster into a second weekend team, as Herman so blithely predicts, it will be a coaching job on a par with Buzz and the midgets.
Greg is doing a very good job this year, despite a nagging injury. Really looking forward to him running the offense next year.  Greg has excellent chemistry with all the players  on floor and I think as he gets older that gets even more valuable .
UNC Grad MU Fan

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #348 on: February 02, 2018, 08:45:48 PM »
Just win baby!

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #349 on: February 02, 2018, 08:48:20 PM »

So much awesome in one GIF:
- are they playing at some sort of St. Patty's Valentine gig?
- should the bassist get immediate help for his scoliosis or is that necklace deceptively heavy?
- striped ascot.  bold choice but it works.
- "are we singing backup or doing equestrian training tonight?"...."i don't know but where your knee high boots just in case"

i have more but i'll stop