[Today at 12:54:01 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 12:00:22 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 04:23:26 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by mugrad_89
[April 27, 2024, 12:29:11 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Wojo's seat  (Read 65483 times)

genious expert

• Team Captain
Re: Wojo's seat
« Reply #400 on: February 03, 2018, 07:54:24 PM »
I realize all of us want want Marquette to be a top 25 program. Trust me I want the same thing. But when I’m at the game today and our best lineup has 3 sophomores and 2 freshman, why are we expecting to beat a team as talented and experienced as providence? To be honest I was excited for this team after the first several games even though preseason I expected a down year. Now we are at expectations. Look at the roster and the ages of our best players. Good things are still to come. I know everyone is sick of hearing about next year but it’s the truth. We will look back on this year as a growing pains year. We have talent. Just need upperclassmen now. Step off the ledge.

jonny09

• Team Captain
« Reply #401 on: February 03, 2018, 07:56:33 PM »
I realize all of us want want Marquette to be a top 25 program. Trust me I want the same thing. But when I’m at the game today and our best lineup has 3 sophomores and 2 freshman, why are we expecting to beat a team as talented and experienced as providence? To be honest I was excited for this team after the first several games even though preseason I expected a down year. Now we are at expectations. Look at the roster and the ages of our best players. Good things are still to come. I know everyone is sick of hearing about next year but it’s the truth. We will look back on this year as a growing pains year. We have talent. Just need upperclassmen now. Step off the ledge.

The same reason Vegas had us favored by 6.   That's why.   We play below our talent level.  Like when we were favored by 3 vs. Butler and lost by 20.   How bout that for a reason. 

genious expert

• Team Captain
« Reply #402 on: February 03, 2018, 07:58:20 PM »
The same reason Vegas had us favored by 6.   That's why.   We play below our talent level.  Like when we were favored by 3 vs. Butler and lost by 20.   How bout that for a reason.

So you think we have more talent than Butler and Providence? Do you watch the games or just check box scores?

jonny09

• Team Captain
« Reply #403 on: February 03, 2018, 08:01:34 PM »
So you think we have more talent than Butler and Providence? Do you watch the games or just check box scores?

Beat providence away and then lost to them at home.  Then got blown off the unnatural carnal knowledgeing court by Butler.   Both at home.  Gave up a career high to a straight up bum vs. Butler.    Don't become a bookie........You'll go bankrupt.

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #404 on: February 03, 2018, 08:06:00 PM »
Wojo’s seat is as Ice Cold as a Miller High Life left outside on a January night in Milwaukee.

Tough three game stretch. We came up short. Call next game. That job won’t be decided over three games.
We Are Marquette

genious expert

• Team Captain
« Reply #405 on: February 03, 2018, 08:09:06 PM »

Beat providence away and then lost to them at home.  Then got blown off the unnatural carnal knowledgeing court by Butler.   Both at home.  Gave up a career high to a straight up bum vs. Butler.    Don't become a bookie........You'll go bankrupt.

Not a bookie. Also not sure what any of that has to do with what i said. Condolences on losing money or whatever you’re upset about

jonny09

• Team Captain
« Reply #406 on: February 03, 2018, 08:11:00 PM »
Not a bookie. Also not sure what any of that has to do with what i said. Condolences on losing money or whatever you’re upset about

I know you're not a bookie.  You're a moron. 

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #407 on: February 03, 2018, 08:25:25 PM »
I know you're not a bookie.  You're a moron.

Can always count on jonny boy being active after a loss.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #408 on: February 03, 2018, 08:28:02 PM »
Can always count on jonny boy being active after a loss.

And if by "active," you mean "posting dumb sh*t" you are correct.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #409 on: February 03, 2018, 08:28:41 PM »
And if by "active," you mean "posting dumb sh*t" you are correct.

That is accurate.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

jonny09

• Team Captain
« Reply #410 on: February 03, 2018, 08:38:31 PM »
That is accurate.

I love it.  Two bums who think they know basketball.  Keep it coming. 

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #411 on: February 03, 2018, 09:02:04 PM »

I love it.  Two bums who think they know basketball.  Keep it coming.

Shocked that you weren’t around after the Seton Hall game. I might be a bum and I might know nothing about basketball, but I do know we can count on you to be blasting away on the keyboard when MU goes on a losing streak but absolutely MIA when MU plays well. And that is the kind of man that has some balls, folks.

jonny09

• Team Captain
« Reply #412 on: February 03, 2018, 09:03:51 PM »
Shocked that you weren’t around after the Seton Hall game. I might be a bum and I might know nothing about basketball, but I do know we can count on you to be blasting away on the keyboard when MU goes on a losing streak but absolutely MIA when MU plays well. And that is the kind of man that has some balls, folks.

Yeeeees!!!!   Great stuff...........More please

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #413 on: February 04, 2018, 08:03:56 AM »

We beat Providence on the road without their best player and it took overtime for us to do it, plus a out of body experience by Markus.
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #414 on: February 04, 2018, 08:58:25 AM »
Well, back to Wojo's seat; in addition to it apparently being ice cold due to Marquette's indifference to having a successful men's basketball program, the bright side is we don't have to worry about Wojo leaving.  I think we can all agree that no other program in the country would want our coach (maybe/hopefully in the future). Stress and rumor free off season ahead! 

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #415 on: February 04, 2018, 09:08:13 AM »
Well, back to Wojo's seat; in addition to it apparently being ice cold due to Marquette's indifference to having a successful men's basketball program,m

Laughable.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #416 on: February 04, 2018, 09:20:52 AM »
I don't think Wojo is in any danger this year. Even if we miss the NCAAs, which I still think is about a 50/50 proposition (looking at that 0-21 combined record for SJU/GT/DPU against other BE teams) the years Wojo has always been building toward were the next two. Now if we are a bubble team next year, he will be on the precipice. Miss the tourney in 2018 and 2019 and I think he could be replaced.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #417 on: February 04, 2018, 09:26:02 AM »
I don't think Wojo is in any danger this year. Even if we miss the NCAAs, which I still think is about a 50/50 proposition (looking at that 0-21 combined record for SJU/GT/DPU against other BE teams) the years Wojo has always been building toward were the next two. Now if we are a bubble team next year, he will be on the precipice. Miss the tourney in 2018 and 2019 and I think he could be replaced.

The problem with this is that the cabinet is likely relatively empty at that point as we would assume players havent developed and incoming recruits would leave.  If they don't make the NCAA next year he should be gone.  That said...I don't think that will be an issue.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #418 on: February 04, 2018, 09:27:51 AM »
Laughable.

I don't actually believe that statement, just a poke at all the insane "wins no matta" and the like posts on this board.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #419 on: February 04, 2018, 09:34:41 AM »
The problem with this is that the cabinet is likely relatively empty at that point as we would assume players havent developed and incoming recruits would leave.  If they don't make the NCAA next year he should be gone.  That said...I don't think that will be an issue.

From a roster perspective, the cabinet will always be empty for a new hire, especially if they approve immediate eligibility for all transfers. At any point going forward, we should assume that any coach we hire will require a complete and total rebuild. So anyone thinking "I want to replace Wojo with X", make damn sure you are content with the idea of Coach X building this thing from the ground up, Tom Crean at Indiana style.

That's part of the reason for my list in the "Making a Trade" thread. I'm confident Dan Hurley could succeed at this level. McDevitt has proven he can keep elevating win totals despite losing players. Wardle has shown he can do a rebuild twice. If you are counting on the new coach winning with what's here, that's simply a losing gambit, especially in the long term.

As much as Wojo was left with an empty roster (and anyone arguing otherwise is lying) that is going to be the norm for anyone now.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #420 on: February 04, 2018, 11:27:29 AM »
The only place that Wojo's seat is hot is on internet forums.    And so many of the young guys and incoming recruits chose MU BECAUSE of Wojo that if he were fired,  the next coach's rebuild would be more daunting than Wojo's. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #421 on: February 04, 2018, 11:35:00 AM »
Yup...always next year.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #422 on: February 04, 2018, 12:12:12 PM »
Yup...always next year.

Last year we made the tournament, yes?
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

Spaniel with a Short Tail

• All American
« Reply #423 on: February 04, 2018, 12:57:16 PM »
I believe that Wojo's seat remains frigid. Not on the Board of course, but where it matters.

There has always been a desire on this board to get a coach who is willing to stay here long term. Not jump at the first well paying Power 5 job that opens up. That means if the coach has a great year, the administration and the fan base want the coach to show MU some loyalty and stick around. The other side of that is when the coach has a down year, the expectation of the coach is the fan base and administration will show some loyalty and not run him out of town.

Wojo isn't at the point where he can be considered our "long term" coach but I think the consensus is we would like to have SOMEONE fill that role sometime. I don't think we can be calling for his head or request that the heat be turned up on him after a bad loss, bad season, or bad post-game presser in his tenure...yet. As others smarter than me have persistently noted, we need to see the results from next season and 2019-2020. If next season unfolds in a less than acceptable manner, turn the burner up. If that persists into the following season, then it's time to get serious about moving on. (And yes, there's a sixth year in there to make up for the Henry Ellenson wasted season and, to a lesser extent, surprise transfers.)

Just my 2 cents worth.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #424 on: February 04, 2018, 12:59:33 PM »
This board would have run a number of high caliber coaches out of town. It's quite amusing.

No, I am not saying wojo is defined as high caliber.

But many coaches weren't in their first few years.

feedback