[Today at 05:39:36 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by WhiteTrash
[April 18, 2024, 09:34:43 PM]

MU Gear by TallTitan34
[April 18, 2024, 07:27:40 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Uncle Rico
[April 18, 2024, 05:33:25 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Wojo's seat  (Read 65298 times)

cheebs09

• All American
Re: Wojo's seat
« Reply #250 on: December 07, 2017, 07:13:32 AM »
I'd rather be in Wojo's seat than Gard's. Working for an AD with a huge ego that was backed into hiring you in the ugly departure of your predecessor. That will be an interesting one to watch if he doesn't turn the ship around.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #251 on: December 07, 2017, 07:58:15 AM »
He ain't your Cuz, amigo!
He ain't your amigo, chum!
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #252 on: December 07, 2017, 08:25:20 AM »
He ain't your amigo, chum!

He ain't your chum, bub!
Have some patience, FFS.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #253 on: December 07, 2017, 08:57:28 AM »
He ain't your chum, bub!

Who you calling bub, missy?
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

mug644

• All American
« Reply #254 on: December 07, 2017, 09:14:32 AM »

That lady ain't no missy, dude!

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #255 on: December 07, 2017, 09:24:14 AM »
Wojo's first recruiting class included 4-star PG Traci Carter.
Wojo's second recruiting class included 4-star PG Markus Howard.
Howard is a shooting guard. He be a one star point guard, if he shot the ball like Derrick Wilson.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #256 on: December 07, 2017, 09:27:35 AM »
I'd rather be in Wojo's seat than Gard's. Working for an AD with a huge ego that was backed into hiring you in the ugly departure of your predecessor. That will be an interesting one to watch if he doesn't turn the ship around.
I agree with you on this. Gard deserved the Wisconsin job, but he was also forced on them by Bo. Gard is gone, if he misses the tournament two straight years.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #257 on: December 07, 2017, 09:29:58 AM »
Howard is a shooting guard. He be a one star point guard, if he shot the ball like Derrick Wilson.

And he'd be a 5-star center if he were a 7-footer who 50 percent from three.
Your point?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #258 on: December 07, 2017, 09:44:13 AM »

Howard is a combo guard who likely will be running point next year.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #259 on: December 07, 2017, 11:12:19 AM »

Who you calling missy, fella?
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

🏀

• All American
« Reply #260 on: December 07, 2017, 11:16:59 AM »
He ain't your Cuz, amigo!

He ain't your amigo, chief!

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #261 on: December 07, 2017, 11:19:13 AM »
He ain't your amigo, chief!

He ain’t your chief, mate!
Maigh Eo for Sam

MU82

• All American
« Reply #262 on: December 07, 2017, 11:31:43 AM »

And he'd be a 5-star center if he were a 7-footer who 50 percent from three.
Your point?

Exactly.

No offense, bilsu, but statements like yours are silly - which maybe is what you were trying to be.

What matters is that Markus doesn't shoot like Derrick ... thank goodness!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #263 on: December 07, 2017, 01:40:53 PM »
I agree with you on this. Gard deserved the Wisconsin job, but he was also forced on them by Bo. Gard is gone, if he misses the tournament two straight years.

If this is the case, and if this is really how results-driven the UW admins and AD are, is that too aggressive, or is that an attitude worth emulating? I would imagine that many Scoopers would think that a 2 year window is way too aggressive, but at the same time, I wonder if UW would be willing to give him the 5-6 years that so many on the boards here feel is needed for a new head coach.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #264 on: December 07, 2017, 01:43:39 PM »
If this is the case, and if this is really how results-driven the UW admins and AD are, is that too aggressive, or is that an attitude worth emulating? I would imagine that many Scoopers would think that a 2 year window is way too aggressive, but at the same time, I wonder if UW would be willing to give him the 5-6 years that so many on the boards here feel is needed for a new head coach.

I highly doubt Wisconsin snags a good coach if they get rid of Gard. They aren’t a basketball school, they’re in a small unattractive city, they play an unattractive brand of basketball and have a known dbag as an AD.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #265 on: December 07, 2017, 01:52:12 PM »
I hope you are right, but Madison is an attractive college town and they have a great campus. A new coach would determine what kind of style they play and they play in a major power conference. Barry won't be there forever and there are enough people that respect him. They would get a good high level coach.

I agree the new coach would be able implement his own system but Wisconsin doesn’t exactly have a bunch of high major recruits that are adaptable to run and gun. It’d be a really really rough first year or two.
Maigh Eo for Sam

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #266 on: December 07, 2017, 01:58:37 PM »
I agree the new coach would be able implement his own system but Wisconsin doesn’t exactly have a bunch of high major recruits that are adaptable to run and gun. It’d be a really really rough first year or two.

That's true, they would have to find a coach that can adapt to the players he has available to recruit or recruit other markets.

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #267 on: December 07, 2017, 02:07:44 PM »
I hope you are right, but Madison is an attractive college town and they have a great campus. A new coach would determine what kind of style they play and they play in a major power conference. Barry won't be there forever and there are enough people that respect him. They would get a good high level coach.

I would agree with this. I hope basketball coaches wouldn't view them as a desirable option, but I think UW could probably make the sale to a lot of people. Madison has its perks, the university as a good reputation, and the basketball program has been better than average in a good conference. If I was part of the program, I'd expect to land a quality candidate.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #268 on: December 07, 2017, 02:29:20 PM »

Two different situations. Wojo was an outsider who was given a dumpster fire and has made slow progress every season. We can also look ahead and see that the next two seasons will be great on paper at least.

Gard was an insider who was given a team that was expected to be a top competitor for at least the next two years. Badger fans are looking ahead and they see a 2018 recruiting class with 2 low three star recruits (one of whom is a walk on) and their highest rated recruit since Dekker decomitting. The future is a little more cloudy. And fair or not, the manner in which Gard got the job changes the expectations a little bit.

All that being said, I think it is premature for Gard's seat to get warm. A step back should have been expected this season with four starters graduating. They have a lot of losses but they are all to quality teams. The only "unacceptable" loss was the 25 point beatdown at home by Ohio State. Even if they miss the postseason this year, they have zero seniors and should be in a for a bounceback year. Now if that doesn't go as well.....then I think Gard's derriere starts to get a little sweaty. 
TAMU

DCHoopster

• Team Captain
« Reply #269 on: December 07, 2017, 02:39:36 PM »
Two different situations. Wojo was an outsider who was given a dumpster fire and has made slow progress every season. We can also look ahead and see that the next two seasons will be great on paper at least.

Gard was an insider who was given a team that was expected to be a top competitor for at least the next two years. Badger fans are looking ahead and they see a 2018 recruiting class with 2 low three star recruits (one of whom is a walk on) and their highest rated recruit since Dekker decomitting. The future is a little more cloudy. And fair or not, the manner in which Gard got the job changes the expectations a little bit.

All that being said, I think it is premature for Gard's seat to get warm. A step back should have been expected this season with four starters graduating. They have a lot of losses but they are all to quality teams. The only "unacceptable" loss was the 25 point beatdown at home by Ohio State. Even if they miss the postseason this year, they have zero seniors and should be in a for a bounceback year. Now if that doesn't go as well.....then I think Gard's derriere starts to get a little sweaty.

The Wisky team next year may or may not have Happ, 5th year senior.  I really do not see him coming back.  If he does not, they have nothing to hang there hat on.
Bo really left a good team to Gard last year, but now he has a junior class that it very weak.  He maybe in a lot of trouble moving forward.  Not getting Herro, or what
I heard took the scholarship away from him, and Bo not giving Sam a scholarship was a huge mistake.  NO Sam, no Joey.  It is not like this state is full of D1 players.
MU will move in to a new building that will be first class, it will impress some of upcoming high school kids as well.  Gard will  has bigtime work in the future.  Style is boring as well.  Good luck.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #270 on: December 07, 2017, 03:25:06 PM »
Exactly.

No offense, bilsu, but statements like yours are silly - which maybe is what you were trying to be.

What matters is that Markus doesn't shoot like Derrick ... thank goodness!
I was not trying to be silly. I posted that Wojo has trouble recruiting point guards, which I found surprising since he was a all-American point guard. I know Howard can play the point guard position if needed, but he is a not a true point guard. The poster also pointed out that Wojo recruited Traci Carter. Carter was a true point guard, but Wojo decided to start Hani over him at point, so how good was Carter who could not beat out a fellow freshmen that was more suited for small forward than he was at point? I have been attending MU games since 1962 and have seen many great point guards. Howard is the best pure shooting guard we have ever had. I am really impressed by his ability this year to drive and make the 2 point shot, which is a significant improvement over last year. He is not a point guard by nature and he is out of position when he plays there. Just like Sam is out of position when he plays the four or subs in at center.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #271 on: December 07, 2017, 03:45:36 PM »
yup, agree on all counts. Except nothing compares to Bryan/College Station

Ha! On gameday maybe.
TAMU

1SE

• All American
« Reply #272 on: February 01, 2018, 05:59:30 AM »
Warmer than it was yesterday.
Real Warriors Demand Excellence

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #273 on: February 01, 2018, 06:42:31 AM »
Warmer than it was yesterday.

Thankfully the people that make those decisions are smart enough not to look at a single game result and be influenced whatsoever by it.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

tower912

• All American
« Reply #274 on: February 01, 2018, 07:01:48 AM »
It has gone from 0 Kelvin to 1 Kelvin.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

feedback