[April 18, 2024, 09:34:43 PM]

Maximilian Langenfeld by TSmith34, Inc.
[April 18, 2024, 09:22:20 PM]

MU Gear by TallTitan34
[April 18, 2024, 07:27:40 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Uncle Rico
[April 18, 2024, 05:33:25 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: NM  (Read 1932380 times)

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
Re: NM
« Reply #11350 on: July 11, 2022, 11:12:09 PM »
Nice list on Reddit:

He who smelt it, dealt it
He who detected it, ejected it
He who felt the breeze, cut the cheese
But he who refuted it, tooted it.
He who appealed it, unsealed it.
He who’s poking fun is the smoking gun

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #11351 on: July 12, 2022, 09:40:22 AM »
Random thought today. How did I not know Mt McKinley was named Denali? Anyone have any seemingly obvious facts they did not know?

This one about preparing corn on the cob for big parties which somehow slipped by me.

https://discover.hubpages.com/food/How-to-Make-Cooler-Corn

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #11352 on: July 13, 2022, 09:03:20 AM »
This one about preparing corn on the cob for big parties which somehow slipped by me.

https://discover.hubpages.com/food/How-to-Make-Cooler-Corn

MMM...BPA infused corn  :-\

Edit:  apparently I don't know enough about plastics...
https://huntingwaterfalls.com/are-coolers-bpa-free/
« Last Edit: July 13, 2022, 09:10:54 AM by rocky_warrior »

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #11353 on: July 13, 2022, 02:08:17 PM »

BPA-free needed for your home brewing too.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #11354 on: July 13, 2022, 02:17:11 PM »

Seems to be unsafe:

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #11355 on: July 13, 2022, 03:35:18 PM »
I'm aware that BMW's recently reported decision to charge a monthly fee to use some features is not happening in the US (yet), but what a load of crap. It takes a lot of gall for a car company to spend the money to install hardware, spend the money to install software, and then disable everything and charge a customer a monthly fee to disable the disabler.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #11356 on: July 13, 2022, 04:32:28 PM »
I'm aware that BMW's recently reported decision to charge a monthly fee to use some features is not happening in the US (yet), but what a load of crap. It takes a lot of gall for a car company to spend the money to install hardware, spend the money to install software, and then disable everything and charge a customer a monthly fee to disable the disabler.

No different that Hyundai charging for GPS and remote services after the 1st 3 years are up.

I recall when Acuras had mapping via a trunk located DVD player. If you wanted to update your maps a new DVD was close to $500.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #11357 on: July 13, 2022, 04:37:32 PM »
No different that Hyundai charging for GPS and remote services after the 1st 3 years are up.

I recall when Acuras had mapping via a trunk located DVD player. If you wanted to update your maps a new DVD was close to $500.

I think that there is a big difference between using a service and a using a feature in the car. It costs Hyundai something to continue to provide that service. They provide it free for three years and then charge after that. Once BMW puts those seats in the car, there is no incremental cost to allow you to use it.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #11358 on: July 13, 2022, 04:48:35 PM »

Talk about your first world problems....

If you don't like it, buy a Ford.
Have some patience, FFS.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #11359 on: July 13, 2022, 04:53:35 PM »
Talk about your first world problems....

If you don't like it, buy a Ford.

I assure you, this will not be limited to cars.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #11360 on: July 13, 2022, 05:12:39 PM »
I assure you, this will not be limited to cars.

My point still stands. If you don't like it, don't buy it.
Have some patience, FFS.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #11361 on: July 13, 2022, 05:29:35 PM »
My point still stands. If you don't like it, don't buy it.

Buy no cars?  Subscription economy is coming for everyone and everything.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #11362 on: July 13, 2022, 05:54:44 PM »

Seems fair to me.  You are only paying for what you use.

And if no one subscribes, it will fail.  See: Quibi.
Have some patience, FFS.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #11363 on: July 13, 2022, 06:00:30 PM »

Eh. I'm assuming sale price of the car reflects the cost of the hardware and software that's in the car already upon purchase.

Then you additionally pay to access it.

Remove those costs from my initial sale price and I agree with you.

If my above assumptive narrative is true, then it won't fail. Sure, car companies won't have the extra money from the subscription/access. But they won't care since they already would have covered all their costs.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #11364 on: July 13, 2022, 06:38:12 PM »
Eh. I'm assuming sale price of the car reflects the cost of the hardware and software that's in the car already upon purchase.

Then you additionally pay to access it.

Remove those costs from my initial sale price and I agree with you.

If my above assumptive narrative is true, then it won't fail. Sure, car companies won't have the extra money from the subscription/access. But they won't care since they already would have covered all their costs.

I didn't mean the company will fail.  I meant that charging for the service will fail.

The only reason companies charge what they charge for anything is that they believe people are  willing to pay it.
Have some patience, FFS.

Jables1604

• Team Captain
« Reply #11365 on: July 13, 2022, 07:51:47 PM »
For years I didn't realize that Cal and UC-Berkeley were the same school
Found out this weekend that there is absolutely no difference between a fiddle and a violin. I’m 54 years old.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #11366 on: July 13, 2022, 08:58:35 PM »
I didn't mean the company will fail.  I meant that charging for the service will fail.

The only reason companies charge what they charge for anything is that they believe people are  willing to pay it.

While true, this is a horrible example of market power.  Everyone hates what the airlines have done with baggage fees, seat fees, talking to a human fees .. but due to market power, the airlines can do it because are you going to walk to Seattle?   Then tough sh1t, enjoy your fee.  Consumers despise it, it happens anyway.

Pretty soon you will not be able to own your car, you'll just have a licensing agreement, with fees for every mile, using the radio, the wipers and headlights.  Probably an airbag activation fee too.  They'd NEVER do that except they totally will some day.

“Things are going to get unimaginably worse, and they are never, ever, going to get better.” - Kurt Vonnegut

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #11367 on: July 13, 2022, 10:17:03 PM »

Subscription economy has been here for a decade+, Mr. Cord Cutter. Good-Better-Best

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #11368 on: July 14, 2022, 04:49:07 AM »

I didn't think you meant that.

But, again, why would charging for the service fail if the car companies already have they money they need up front?

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #11369 on: July 14, 2022, 06:10:47 AM »

I, for one, am excited for police and fire department subscriptions!

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #11370 on: July 14, 2022, 06:14:06 AM »
While true, this is a horrible example of market power.  Everyone hates what the airlines have done with baggage fees, seat fees, talking to a human fees .. but due to market power, the airlines can do it because are you going to walk to Seattle?   Then tough sh1t, enjoy your fee.  Consumers despise it, it happens anyway.

Pretty soon you will not be able to own your car, you'll just have a licensing agreement, with fees for every mile, using the radio, the wipers and headlights.  Probably an airbag activation fee too.  They'd NEVER do that except they totally will some day.

“Things are going to get unimaginably worse, and they are never, ever, going to get better.” - Kurt Vonnegut

And that is just it.  When the stock price needs to continue to increase despite there being no more market to grab, people will get creative in new ways to increase the bottom line... especially when their own bottom line is impacted.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #11371 on: July 14, 2022, 04:52:01 PM »
And that is just it.  When the stock price needs to continue to increase despite there being no more market to grab, people will get creative in new ways to increase the bottom line... especially when their own bottom line is impacted.

Most airline stock prices are down 40-80% over the last 5 years. If they “need to continue to increase” their stock much further they’ll be out of business.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #11372 on: July 14, 2022, 04:59:39 PM »
Most airline stock prices are down 40-80% over the last 5 years. If they “need to continue to increase” their stock much further they’ll be out of business.

And correlation doesn't equal causation.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #11373 on: July 14, 2022, 06:33:10 PM »
And correlation doesn't equal causation.

So why did you use it as an example?

BMW does not have a monopoly on automobiles.  If you don't like all their crazy charges, there are plenty of other choices. And if you buy a BMW anyway, you have just demonstrated that you are willing to pay them in order to drive their car.  And the execs who made this pricing decision have done their job successfully.

It's a luxury vehicle, not groceries.  There is nothing wrong with charging what the market will bear.

« Last Edit: July 14, 2022, 06:36:06 PM by warriorchick »
Have some patience, FFS.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #11374 on: July 15, 2022, 06:05:29 AM »
So why did you use it as an example?

BMW does not have a monopoly on automobiles.  If you don't like all their crazy charges, there are plenty of other choices. And if you buy a BMW anyway, you have just demonstrated that you are willing to pay them in order to drive their car.  And the execs who made this pricing decision have done their job successfully.

It's a luxury vehicle, not groceries.  There is nothing wrong with charging what the market will bear.

I didn't, Lenny did.  Airline prices aren't down down because they added baggage fees, etc.  They're down because of a global pandemic.

My point is that you see BMW doing this now, and you don't think that the other car manufacturers will follow suit?  If it adds to the stock price and there is no measurable push back... and with subscription services there usually isn't because after a month or two people forget about them... then you better believe that others will do the same.

feedback