[April 18, 2024, 09:34:43 PM]

Maximilian Langenfeld by TSmith34, Inc.
[April 18, 2024, 09:22:20 PM]

MU Gear by TallTitan34
[April 18, 2024, 07:27:40 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Uncle Rico
[April 18, 2024, 05:33:25 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: NM  (Read 1932393 times)

Jon

• All American
  • Fire Wojo!
Re: NM
« Reply #7250 on: August 30, 2019, 12:49:41 AM »
I was going to put this in the grievance thread, but the inevitable happened.

I have a grievance to present before scoop. Today I watched Texas State try to keep up with the Fighting Texas Aggies. Sitting in the row in front of me was a group of 5 students that had somehow broken free of the student section. About halfway through the first quarter, my wife leans over and in a judging whisper says "these kids have done nothing but take pictures of themselves the whole game."

I started paying attention after that and it became a game for my wife and I (something had to keep us entertained, Texas State got 1 first down in the first half). They took group selfies 37 times by the time they left (right after the halftime show). Now I could understand if they were doing it from different angles or different poses or had the field in the background....but all 37 were the exact same picture from what we could tell. The same person held up their phone from the same angle and they all did the stupid duckface pose (that's a whole separate grievance) with nothing in the background besides the seats they were sitting on.

Maybe they were doing different filters or something, but how do you need the same posed picture 37 times? What possible worth does that bring?

I guess it's time for me to don a sweater vest and start talking about how much better the student section was when I was an undergrad.

There was a spate of directional schools grabbing the State title - Missouri State, Minnesota State, Texas State. I always thought a trite, cynical marketing ploy.

You can change the name of a Dodge to some German word but it's still a Dodge. 

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #7251 on: August 30, 2019, 07:17:23 AM »
Quite possibly of no interest to anyone, but I figured I'd share.  Sirius/XM recently added their streaming service for subscribers to their "Select" package.  Previously, it was an additional cost unless you subscribed to the "All Access" package.  I don't know when they made the change, but I just learned about it yesterday.  This gives access to their stations on your phone and/or computer.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2019, 07:40:17 AM by StillAWarrior »
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #7252 on: August 30, 2019, 08:10:48 AM »
Quite possibly of no interest to anyone, but I figured I'd share.  Sirius/XM recently added their streaming service for subscribers to their "Select" package.  Previously, it was an additional cost unless you subscribed to the "All Access" package.  I don't know when they made the change, but I just learned about it yesterday.  This gives access to their stations on your phone and/or computer.

I used my SiriusXM during the trial period after buying my new car, but let it lapse. I thought "commercial free" music was a great idea...until I realized they had a SiriusXM promo by some DJ after every single song. And it wasn't just introducing the next song, but rather promoting upcoming shows and such, often on other SiriusXM channels. Maybe they don't consider them "commercials because they're for their own network, but some dude talking between songs is still a commercial to me.

I have gone back to streaming from Spotify in my car....

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #7253 on: August 30, 2019, 08:34:34 AM »
We got XM free with our first minivan .. but it's no where near worth $15+ a month.   I call in every 6 months and cancel, get the $5/month plan.

It's .. just OK.  It's barely worth $5 a month.

UWW2MU

• All American
« Reply #7254 on: August 30, 2019, 08:48:14 AM »

I have a grievance to present before scoop. Today I watched Texas State try to keep up with the Fighting Texas Aggies. Sitting in the row in front of me was a group of 5 students that had somehow gotten loose from the student section. About halfway through the first quarter, my wife leans over and in a judging whisper says "these kids have done nothing but take pictures of themselves the whole game."

I started paying attention after that and it became a game for my wife and I (something had to keep us entertained, Texas State got 1 first down in the first half). They took group selfies 37 times by the time they left (right after the halftime show). Now I could understand if they were doing it from different angles or different poses or had the field in the background....but all 37 were the exact same picture from what we could tell. The same person held up their phone from the same angle and they all did the stupid duckface pose (that's a whole separate grievance) with nothing in the background besides the seats they were sitting on.

Maybe they were doing different filters or something, but how do you need the same posed picture 37 times? What possible worth does that bring?

I guess it's time for me to don a sweater vest and start talking about how much better the student section was when I was an undergrad.

No no, this is all wrong.  This doesn't belong in grievences, this belongs in the superbar "Things I don't Get" thread.   You're going to get the NM thread locked for going off topic!

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #7255 on: August 30, 2019, 09:02:28 AM »
Warning: this topic is currently locked! Only admins and moderators can reply.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #7256 on: August 30, 2019, 09:21:35 AM »
Warning: this topic is currently locked! Only admins and moderators can reply.

The Scoop NAZI party has made this place unbearable! 
- J.  Arby's Stalin

UWW2MU

• All American
« Reply #7257 on: August 30, 2019, 10:01:31 AM »
Wuhoo!  I'm an admin or moderator now!!     ;D

Oh....

NM

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #7258 on: August 30, 2019, 02:04:28 PM »
Red is the new teal.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #7259 on: August 30, 2019, 02:31:26 PM »
We got XM free with our first minivan .. but it's no where near worth $15+ a month.   I call in every 6 months and cancel, get the $5/month plan.

It's .. just OK.  It's barely worth $5 a month.

a number of years ago, i had sirius radio.  when i cancelled it, they damn near paid me to keep it.  it was almost like they weren't going to let me cancel.  and you can't just hang up on them until you get confirmation that the cord was cut.  that's when the fun begins.  after another minute or so more of conversation with me,  i drove them so crazy, they couldn't wait to get rid of me. 

on another note, when i was switching from cox cable(have fun with that name)  i was returning my equipment(no pun intended) to the store and ya had to feel sorry for the employees.  everyone in line was returning/cancelling there cable too.   the poor sack behind the counter-they didn't make any company policy 
don't...don't don't don't don't

Slim

• All American
« Reply #7260 on: August 30, 2019, 07:42:33 PM »

I have a grievance to present before scoop. Today I watched Texas State try to keep up with the Fighting Texas Aggies. Sitting in the row in front of me was a group of 5 students that had somehow gotten loose from the student section. About halfway through the first quarter, my wife leans over and in a judging whisper says "these kids have done nothing but take pictures of themselves the whole game."

I’m thinkin’ Mrs. TAMU had a low cut shirt in the background and the joke is on you

harryp

• Starter
« Reply #7261 on: August 31, 2019, 08:47:36 PM »
I am especially interested in Benny B. I can trace my ancestors back to about 1630.They left England at that time. England at that time when England was in great turmoil like it is today, maybe worse as they were then beheading people.
They lived in Wisconsin from about 1845 until today (about 5 generations). Benny -- what part of WI is your family from?
One terrific source is census records and phone books?

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #7262 on: August 31, 2019, 09:03:47 PM »

Many years ago our company owned a good chunk of XM before they’re merged with Sirius.  They had two satellites, Rock and Roll.  The second was a spare and was stored across the street from my building at Boeing Space Systems.   We still subscribe, I like being able to get national politics, sports, etc.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #7263 on: August 31, 2019, 09:21:00 PM »
I am especially interested in Benny B. I can trace my ancestors back to about 1630.They left England at that time. England at that time when England was in great turmoil like it is today, maybe worse as they were then beheading people.
They lived in Wisconsin from about 1845 until today (about 5 generations). Benny -- what part of WI is your family from?
One terrific source is census records and phone books?

Not Benny here, but I have ancestors who came from England as early as the 1600s (can’t recall exact decade) and ultimately settled in Dodge and Grant Counties in Southwest WI. My grandparents married and moved to Milwaukee in the 20s.

harryp

• Starter
« Reply #7264 on: September 01, 2019, 01:10:02 PM »
My ancestors came in 1630, exact year is in my records to which I don't have access right now. They were on
the east coast until 1847 when they moved to WI. I believe to Southwest Waukesha Colunty. Near Big Bend.
More specifically to an area between the two Muskego Lakes.
Those who arrived first in this country, were Puritans associated with Rev Thomas Hooker, a Puritan of the strictest order.
To my knowledge no one has ever been able to learn where in England they came from. When my brother was in England
her went to an historical site that had the names of the Knights who were with William the first and our family name
was on it.
We have some old documents (copies) including wills that predate the American Revolution. We have other documents
dating to the very early 20th century, including photos. Our original resident of WI is buried in West Bend.

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #7265 on: September 01, 2019, 03:37:24 PM »
My ancestors came in 1630, exact year is in my records to which I don't have access right now.

To my knowledge no one has ever been able to learn where in England they came from. When my brother was in England

If you haven't researched the records of Southampton (England) maybe some info there you could use.  Many people Departing from there in the 1600's.  Good Luck.
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #7266 on: September 01, 2019, 05:12:44 PM »

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #7267 on: September 01, 2019, 06:01:25 PM »
Less salacious, but Minnesotans (or anyone driving in MN) should be aware of this new law that prohibits even holding a cellphone while driving, with very limited exceptions. If you don’t already use hands-free mode, it would be a great time to start.

https://www.twincities.com/2019/06/27/mn-unleashes-campaign-ahead-of-aug-1-law-restricting-drivers-phone-use/

harryp

• Starter
« Reply #7268 on: September 01, 2019, 06:27:20 PM »
Loose canon, thanks for your ideas. How do you contact South Hampton?

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #7269 on: September 01, 2019, 07:53:13 PM »
José Andrés is an inspiration. In the Bahamas now to feed storm victims.

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #7270 on: September 01, 2019, 09:18:25 PM »
Loose canon, thanks for your ideas. How do you contact South Hampton?

If you get into Google I would start with these 3 places.

1) Hampshire Chamber of Commerce which services Southampton as well as 2 others.

2)  Southampton City Council.

3)  Historical Society of Southampton.

Maybe the local Library and schools might have other leads.
Don't forget your Sherlock Hat.  Good Luck
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #7271 on: September 01, 2019, 10:07:39 PM »
Less salacious, but Minnesotans (or anyone driving in MN) should be aware of this new law that prohibits even holding a cellphone while driving, with very limited exceptions. If you don’t already use hands-free mode, it would be a great time to start.

https://www.twincities.com/2019/06/27/mn-unleashes-campaign-ahead-of-aug-1-law-restricting-drivers-phone-use/

same thing in arizona as of april 2019

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #7272 on: September 02, 2019, 08:57:44 PM »

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #7273 on: September 02, 2019, 10:16:17 PM »
Neigh...Wilbur Post is turning in his grave.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/travel/9844225/american-airlines-horse-service-animal/

This is getting a little out of hand.  Where do they draw the line?  Hippos?  Elephants?  2 of each?  Noah’s airline?  What if I tell them I don’t feel safe?  Don’t my feelings matter? 2 can play this game...or not?   Flying is not a right. 

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #7274 on: September 03, 2019, 07:19:22 AM »
This is getting a little out of hand.  Where do they draw the line?  Hippos?  Elephants?  2 of each?  Noah’s airline?  What if I tell them I don’t feel safe?  Don’t my feelings matter? 2 can play this game...or not?   Flying is not a right.

Actually,  miniature horses were one of the two original animals allowed onto flights. The ADA only allows for two kinds of animals to be service animals,  dogs and miniature horses. So this is not an example of things getting hand... it's more of a getting back to the roots of service animals on planes.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.