[Today at 07:19:53 AM]

D-I Logo Quiz by IL Warrior
[April 24, 2024, 09:57:20 PM]

Best case scenarios by We R Final Four
[April 24, 2024, 08:12:40 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Uncle Rico
[April 24, 2024, 04:09:20 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: NM  (Read 1937636 times)

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
Re: NM
« Reply #6750 on: July 04, 2019, 09:20:15 PM »
I loved Spy vs Spy.

It’s a shame, but honestly I had no idea they were even still publishing. I wouldn’t be surprised if sales peaked in the 70s.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #6751 on: July 04, 2019, 09:38:47 PM »
I think the same about North Dakota. Never met a person from there. Never been there. Pretty sure it's fake.

I have been to 47 states. One of the 3 I haven't been to is North Dakota ... even though I lived in Minnesota for nearly 10 years and got pretty darn close to the border on a couple of occasions. Even when we drove to Yellowstone, we went through South Dakota.

Now that we live in NC, probably will never get to ND. My loss, I guess.

If it exists.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #6752 on: July 05, 2019, 02:27:31 AM »
Seedy looking group.  ;D

Those two look like men’s men

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #6753 on: July 05, 2019, 07:19:12 AM »
I'm still not convinced Delaware is a real place

My family vacations in Delaware every summer. So, I hope it’s real. If not, someone owes us an explanation.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #6754 on: July 05, 2019, 07:58:36 AM »
I have been to 47 states. One of the 3 I haven't been to is North Dakota ... even though I lived in Minnesota for nearly 10 years and got pretty darn close to the border on a couple of occasions. Even when we drove to Yellowstone, we went through South Dakota.

Now that we live in NC, probably will never get to ND. My loss, I guess.

If it exists.

I have lived in Minnesota for over 20 years and while I have never been to North Dakota, I have met several people who claim to be from there. But there is always a contrived sound in their voices when they say it, like you hear when people claim to have been abducted by aliens or seen Sasquatch.

One of these days I just may drive up to that "border" and peer over to the other side....

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #6755 on: July 05, 2019, 08:01:29 AM »
My family vacations in Delaware every summer. So, I hope it’s real. If not, someone owes us an explanation.

Want to do a little loop out that way.  I can envision flying into BWI and hitting the Delaware/Maryland shore.  Having been through ND as a youngster MU82, I'm down to 2 states.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #6756 on: July 05, 2019, 08:09:28 AM »
Having been through ND as a youngster MU82, I'm down to 2 states.

Which 2, glow?

For me, it's North Dakota, Arkansas and Idaho.

As I mentioned, I got within a few miles of North Dakota during my time in MN, and I literally could have walked into Arkansas when I was in Memphis years ago but didn't do it.

My grown kids live in Chicago and Seattle, so I could knock out Idaho and North Dakota by driving from one to the other. Then I'd be obligated to take a trip to Arkansas, I suppose.

If I had 22 states to go or something like that, I wouldn't even think about it. But at 47, I might as well do all 50.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #6757 on: July 05, 2019, 08:37:38 AM »
48 and 47 states are pretty impressive numbers.

By my best count, I have been to 44...missing Alaska, North Dakota, South Carolina, Vermont, New Hampshire and Maine. My wife keeps talking about a New England trip, so we could get up to 47. And it's about a 4 1/2 hour driver me  to this mythical land of North Dakota....

MU82

• All American
« Reply #6758 on: July 05, 2019, 08:47:31 AM »

By my best count, I have been to 44...missing Alaska, North Dakota, South Carolina, Vermont, New Hampshire and Maine. My wife keeps talking about a New England trip, so we could get up to 47. And it's about a 4 1/2 hour driver me  to this mythical land of North Dakota....

I'm not a ski bum (just a regular bum), so New England in the winter holds no appeal to me, but I think you would love a visit there in the summer. Beautiful country. You could add side trips to Montreal and Quebec City, which would be well worth it. We did just that as a family vacation about 20 years ago, and my kids still talk about that being one of their favorite trips.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #6759 on: July 05, 2019, 09:19:36 AM »
Fargo is very real.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #6760 on: July 05, 2019, 11:01:45 AM »
Which 2, glow?

As I mentioned, I got within a few miles of North Dakota during my time in MN, and I literally could have walked into Arkansas when I was in Memphis years ago but didn't do it.

My grown kids live in Chicago and Seattle, so I could knock out Idaho and North Dakota by driving from one to the other. Then I'd be obligated to take a trip to Arkansas, I suppose.

If I had 22 states to go or something like that, I wouldn't even think about it. But at 47, I might as well do all 50.

Delaware and Hawaii.  My most two recent adds were Louisiana about 5 years ago (now do New Orleans every other year.... great 3 day weekend) and Alaska in 2018.

In some ways it takes a little luck.  I lived in Boston getting all of New England then and I have family (and did some business) in the South.  North Dakota is tough.  I passed through on way back from Banff as a kid.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #6761 on: July 05, 2019, 11:11:04 AM »
My wife is also obsessed with getting to 50.  I think she's around 46 or so.  I care zero for these shenanigans and never need to visit North Dakota again.  I do not get this craze.

Question: Do Europeans do the same thing, trying to hit all 44 in their neck of the woods?  Or is this just an American deal ..

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #6762 on: July 05, 2019, 11:15:01 AM »

A New England loop is great Goooo.  Highly recommend.  My vote (without kids) would be leaf peeping season.  In my view north is better than south although Newport is a cool sailing town.  All possible with reasonable sightseeing in a week, especially if you do Boston itself as a separate trip.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #6763 on: July 05, 2019, 11:16:36 AM »
My wife is also obsessed with getting to 50.  I think she's around 46 or so.  I care zero for these shenanigans and never need to visit North Dakota again.  I do not get this craze.

Question: Do Europeans do the same thing, trying to hit all 44 in their neck of the woods?  Or is this just an American deal ..

Yeah, ND is down there unless you're just passing through.  Kansas is right there with it.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #6764 on: July 05, 2019, 11:23:57 AM »
Which 2, glow?

Something to consider 82.  Distance wise it's almost exactly the same distance to Billings, MT using either 90 (SD) or 94 (ND) where they reconnect out west.  But the SD run actually has cool things to do as discussed in the Montana thread.  That said, if I ever have to solo to Seattle I might go north next time.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #6765 on: July 05, 2019, 11:26:52 AM »
Delaware and Hawaii.  My most two recent adds were Louisiana about 5 years ago (now do New Orleans every other year.... great 3 day weekend) and Alaska in 2018.

In some ways it takes a little luck.  I lived in Boston getting all of New England then and I have family (and did some business) in the South.  North Dakota is tough.  I passed through on way back from Banff as a kid.

Delaware should be easy enough on any trip from DC to NY ... can't help driving through, but don't blink or you'll miss it!

Hawaii ... get there, my friend. If you're like me and Mrs. 82, you and chickadee would love it so much you'll want to go back over and over again. We are partial to Kauai first and then Maui, but we've enjoyed the Big Island and Oahu, too. One can be as touristy as one wants in Hawaii, or one can get away from the crowd to almost be in one's own personal paradise. It's exotic, yet it's America. We love Hawaii.

Hankering to get back to New Orleans. It's been too long. Love the food and the vibe.

I can't speak for your wife or others, but I'm not obsessed, nor is it a "craze" for me. I've been to 47 states, probably at least half of those because my work took me to 'em. With just 3 to go, I figure I might as well get there if the opportunity presents, but I'm not gonna go way out of my way to go.

I mean, I don't think I'll be telling my wife that we're skipping vacay in Hawaii to hang out in Bismarck.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #6766 on: July 05, 2019, 11:34:29 AM »
Delaware should be easy enough on any trip from DC to NY ... can't help driving through, but don't blink or you'll miss it!

Hawaii ... get there, my friend. If you're like me and Mrs. 82, you and chickadee would love it so much you'll want to go back over and over again. We are partial to Kauai first and then Maui, but we've enjoyed the Big Island and Oahu, too. One can be as touristy as one wants in Hawaii, or one can get away from the crowd to almost be in one's own personal paradise. It's exotic, yet it's America. We love Hawaii.

Hankering to get back to New Orleans. It's been too long. Love the food and the vibe.

I can't speak for your wife or others, but I'm not obsessed, nor is it a "craze" for me. I've been to 47 states, probably at least half of those because my work took me to 'em. With just 3 to go, I figure I might as well get there if the opportunity presents, but I'm not gonna go way out of my way to go.

I mean, I don't think I'll be telling my wife that we're skipping vacay in Hawaii to hang out in Bismarck.

Definitely on our list.  We're uggggee Caribbean fans and access is easy for a week long vaca so Hawaii is probably right up there almost immediately after retirement.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #6767 on: July 05, 2019, 11:49:11 AM »

It also seems like more of an attempt to hit Alaska, Hawaii and the isolated north-western states.  With no intentional effort I have 44 - higher if the burden is to only have passed through the state but not have done anything of substance. 

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #6768 on: July 05, 2019, 12:06:13 PM »
I've been to north Dakota, so I got that going for me, which is nice.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #6769 on: July 05, 2019, 12:32:36 PM »

+1

Even though the touristy vibe of Waikiki gets old pretty quickly, it's a must-see kinda place. My favorite areas are the North Shore of Oahu (Haliewa and such), the northern area of the Big Island, and the coffee-growing areas to the south of the touristy part of Kona. We stay in the Kona area and make day trips for horseback riding, coffee plantations and such. Only been to Kauai once, but loved it...especially the hiking up around the Na Pali Coast. Ended up lost in the rainforest for a few hours after Hurricane Iniki wiped out parts of the main trail back in '92.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #6770 on: July 05, 2019, 01:00:04 PM »

+1

Even though the touristy vibe of Waikiki gets old pretty quickly, it's a must-see kinda place. My favorite areas are the North Shore of Oahu (Haliewa and such), the northern area of the Big Island, and the coffee-growing areas to the south of the touristy part of Kona. We stay in the Kona area and make day trips for horseback riding, coffee plantations and such. Only been to Kauai once, but loved it...especially the hiking up around the Na Pali Coast. Ended up lost in the rainforest for a few hours after Hurricane Iniki wiped out parts of the main trail back in '92.

Sweet. Each island is so different.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #6771 on: July 05, 2019, 01:10:07 PM »

Nah, but Brits did find it really strange when I said I could drive six hours and not even be out of my own state.

Don’t even know what they would say if I told them my daily commute is 45 minutes to an hour each way.

To them, a six hour drive may as well be three days.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #6772 on: July 05, 2019, 01:27:41 PM »
Nah, but Brits did find it really strange when I said I could drive six hours and not even be out of my own state.

A lot of New Englanders are that way as well.

Glow was on a ski lift once with someone who, when they learned he was from Illinois, asked if people from there drive to Colorado to ski on the weekend because "it's only about 3 states away".
Have some patience, FFS.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #6773 on: July 05, 2019, 01:39:56 PM »
I've travelled NODAK a fair amount for work.  Spent most time in Fargo, some time in Bismarck.  Been to the patch too.  Great people, very self sufficient. 

They've got some Badlands, and the Bakken is cool in an erie kind of way at night.  Crossing the Missouri just past Bismarck is always scenic.  Lake Sakakawea is very nice.  Some amazing fishing in many lakes.  Need to get to Devils Lake for perch under the ice. 

If you are a college football fan, the NDSU program and their fan base are very fun.  We also have "something" in common with the Fighting Sioux too.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #6774 on: July 05, 2019, 01:41:50 PM »

Don’t even know what they would say if I told them my daily commute is 45 minutes to an hour each way.

To them, a six hour drive may as well be three days.

Don't tell them about Texas. Get to the right part of Texas and you could go 15 hours in one direction and still be in Texas
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.