[Today at 07:24:54 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by WhiteTrash
[April 18, 2024, 09:34:43 PM]

MU Gear by TallTitan34
[April 18, 2024, 07:27:40 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Uncle Rico
[April 18, 2024, 05:33:25 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: NM  (Read 1932767 times)

warriorchick

• All American
Re: NM
« Reply #6800 on: July 05, 2019, 08:00:22 PM »
Catching up on Scoop waiting for my town fireworks to start while listening to a Huey Lewis cover band.

Does your town not have a calendar?
Have some patience, FFS.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #6801 on: July 05, 2019, 08:01:05 PM »
Pennsylvania isn't as far across as Texas, obviously, but it's still one of those drives that, after hours and hours and hours and hours, you go, "We're STILL in effen Pennsylvania?!?!"

At least it's not 55 mph anymore. PA was one of the last states to go to 65+ on interstates. It used to be even more brutal.

Florida also is a very long drive from north to south.

I have done both the PA and FL drives. In fact, I once did FL from the western end of the panhandle to the southern tip in Key West...and then back.

Nebraska and Kansas are awfully long from east to west.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #6802 on: July 05, 2019, 08:01:15 PM »
Illinois is one long, sorry a$$ state.

In 1982, drove one June night from SB to Milwaukee, made it to Real Chili at close. Ate it at The Swamp, and returned home to SB.  No beer was involved  :o ;)

I think a lot of people fail to realize how long of a state Illinois is. If you drive from Chicago to Memphis, one will for sure find out. Southern tip of Illinois (Cairo) is a hop, skip, jump to Arkansas to the west and Tennessee to the east.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #6803 on: July 05, 2019, 08:12:41 PM »
Does your town not have a calendar?

Most Connecticut towns do their own firework display so towns close to each tend to spread out the dates so they don't overlap.  Depending what day of the week the 4th falls on you may get a display 5 days after the 4th.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #6804 on: July 05, 2019, 08:16:56 PM »
Mine is having it's firework display on 7/6.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #6805 on: July 05, 2019, 09:03:21 PM »
Oh yeah, and I've been to the beautiful 'state' of PR!   ;D
;D When are you coming back for beer?
Goal is National Championship

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #6806 on: July 05, 2019, 09:05:11 PM »
Went skiing Vail area twice, and even flying over Texas is overwhelming

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #6807 on: July 05, 2019, 09:09:00 PM »
For spring break during MU my friends and I drove all the way down to Key West, then used to go up to Ft Lauderdale for a couple of days. We took 10 cases of beer with us amongst other stuff.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #6808 on: July 05, 2019, 10:56:58 PM »
I think a lot of people fail to realize how long of a state Illinois is. If you drive from Chicago to Memphis, one will for sure find out. Southern tip of Illinois (Cairo) is a hop, skip, jump to Arkansas to the west and Tennessee to the east.

Made the Chicago to St. Louis drive more times than I can count. Not a fun drive. I'd say the scenery was boring, but that would be suggesting there actually was some scenery.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #6809 on: July 05, 2019, 11:13:13 PM »

A good friend lives south of Carbondale. He lives closer to Tupelo, MS than he does Chicago.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #6810 on: July 05, 2019, 11:15:57 PM »
A good friend lives south of Carbondale. He lives closer to Tupelo, MS than he does Chicago.

Made the trip from Milwaukee to Carbondale my freshman year to visit a friend in Southern.

Didn’t even drive, took the Amtrak but never made the trip down there ever again. Funnily enough, that was the last time I’ve actually seen said friend in person:

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #6811 on: July 06, 2019, 08:03:53 AM »
There is no question that the Carbondale area is in 'The South'.  Very little to do with northern Illinois culturally.  That said, it is one of only two attractive areas in the entire state with the other being Jo Davies county in the NW corner.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #6812 on: July 06, 2019, 09:05:40 AM »
I have been to all 50 states. Was lucky that I got both coasts and the poplulous midwest states early. Then worked hard down the stretch getting the big low population Western states. Last one was Wyoming.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #6813 on: July 06, 2019, 10:08:59 AM »
There is no question that the Carbondale area is in 'The South'.  Very little to do with northern Illinois culturally.  That said, it is one of only two attractive areas in the entire state with the other being Jo Davies county in the NW corner.

This is spot on.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #6814 on: July 06, 2019, 10:29:16 AM »
Mine is having it's firework display on 7/6.

its vs. it's

One of my cities has its fireworks display on 7/13.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #6815 on: July 06, 2019, 10:40:51 AM »
It's National Fried Chicken Day, my brothers.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/food/2019/07/05/national-fried-chicken-day-2019-chicken-deals-free-delivery-and-more/1653451001/

For Spring Break, we were in Florida .. we were stocking up at the grocery store and needed dinner, so I grabbed grocery-store fried chicken.   It. was. delicious.

Fast forward a few months and my wife took the kids to the grandparents, so I'm going to get dinner someplace they wouldn't eat.  KFC.  I hit the one on North avenue.  I sit in the drive thru lane for 20 minutes .. each car is taking 5 minutes.   I get up to the speaker and the gal says "uhhh, this is gonna take a while."    So, like others ahead of me, I drove off.

So I hit the Popeye's on Capitol.  I walk in .. it's like a needle scratching across the record, as I'm, um, the only ummm Irish guy in the joint.  There is bullet proof glass surrounding the cashiers.  The line was 8 deep and after 45 seconds I tip-toed out the door.

I ended up going to Pick n' Save and buying their fried chicken.  It was OK.

The end.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #6816 on: July 06, 2019, 10:55:02 AM »
Man, ya missed out. Pop's sets up his bar-b-que in da gas station on 76th & Good Hope. Ya can smell it all da wey ta Brown Deer. Pick up sum yams and greens and ewe are set, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #6817 on: July 06, 2019, 11:12:14 AM »

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/food/2019/07/05/national-fried-chicken-day-2019-chicken-deals-free-delivery-and-more/1653451001/

For Spring Break, we were in Florida .. we were stocking up at the grocery store and needed dinner, so I grabbed grocery-store fried chicken.   It. was. delicious.

Fast forward a few months and my wife took the kids to the grandparents, so I'm going to get dinner someplace they wouldn't eat.  KFC.  I hit the one on North avenue.  I sit in the drive thru lane for 20 minutes .. each car is taking 5 minutes.   I get up to the speaker and the gal says "uhhh, this is gonna take a while."    So, like others ahead of me, I drove off.

So I hit the Popeye's on Capitol.  I walk in .. it's like a needle scratching across the record, as I'm, um, the only ummm Irish guy in the joint.  There is bullet proof glass surrounding the cashiers.  The line was 8 deep and after 45 seconds I tip-toed out the door.

The end.
The key to grocery store chicken is to get there when they put it out at around 11:00 am. The Jewel on 550 North State street was overall a crappy store, but they put some real effort into their chickens, and they have many lunch  regulars lined up to get it when it comes out fresh.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #6818 on: July 06, 2019, 11:13:17 AM »
I’ve found that you can’t go wrong with Golden Chicken. Although their fries suck.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MU82

• All American
« Reply #6819 on: July 06, 2019, 11:14:39 AM »

I'd argue that Chicago is the most attractive area of Illinois, depending upon how one defines "attractive."
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #6820 on: July 06, 2019, 12:48:53 PM »
I'd argue that Chicago is the most attractive area of Illinois, depending upon how one defines "attractive."

It also depends on how you define “Chicago.” You talking Gold Coast or Englewood?

MUUWUWM

• All American
« Reply #6821 on: July 06, 2019, 12:57:00 PM »

The end.
Sounds like you live northwestish  side of town....
Should have gone to Champion Chicken on  Lisbon
« Last Edit: July 06, 2019, 03:01:35 PM by mu_hilltopper »

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #6822 on: July 06, 2019, 01:13:01 PM »
It's also National Hand Roll Day.

I'll stop there....

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #6823 on: July 06, 2019, 01:14:41 PM »
Tandem is the place in Milwaukee.  You can only order blues brothers style (by the chicken)

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #6824 on: July 06, 2019, 01:36:57 PM »
Tandem is the place in Milwaukee.  You can only order blues brothers style (by the chicken)

Do they also sell dry white toast?

feedback