collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Marvel Cinematic Universe  (Read 71225 times)

jesmu84

• All American
Re: Marvel Cinematic Universe
« Reply #425 on: May 05, 2022, 05:44:02 PM »
I'm just now watching No Way Home.

Granted, I'm only halfway through.

This is bad

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #426 on: May 05, 2022, 08:05:40 PM »
Strange was dumb.

The post endgame direction is gonna make a lot of these movies difficult for me.

Not into the overall direction of the multiverse and magic.

Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #427 on: May 05, 2022, 08:24:27 PM »
Just got back from Strange. Meh.

CreightonWarrior

• Starter
« Reply #428 on: May 05, 2022, 08:24:54 PM »
I liked it

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #429 on: May 07, 2022, 07:36:27 AM »
I like magic MCU & the turn to a more comic book nature of the world. I really enjoyed Strange from an aesthetic perspective and my biggest worry was that they would overreach with all the storyline rumors, but they kept it tight and cohesive. The fan service was also excellent.

We're seeing the MCU expand so it has genres within the genre. What I loved about the early MCU was how you had different genres contained in the overall universe. You had the spy movie Winter Soldier, the space opera Guardians of the Galaxy, the heist movie Ant-Man, and they brought all those together for the Avengers/Infinity events.

With the series option, they can expand on that. The spy movie is now its own genre (F&WS, Black Widow, Hawkeye). So are cosmic (Guardians, Thor, Eternals, Marvels), magic (Strange, WandaVision), mech suit (Iron Man, Armor Wars, Ironheart), and many others to come. I expect this is how we'll come to Fantastic Four, X-Men, and other properties, by carving out a corner inside the genre.

Anything that gives us this much world building and fan service I'm going to love. It's everything 1990s me ever wanted.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #430 on: May 07, 2022, 08:31:36 AM »
I like magic MCU & the turn to a more comic book nature of the world. I really enjoyed Strange from an aesthetic perspective and my biggest worry was that they would overreach with all the storyline rumors, but they kept it tight and cohesive. The fan service was also excellent.

We're seeing the MCU expand so it has genres within the genre. What I loved about the early MCU was how you had different genres contained in the overall universe. You had the spy movie Winter Soldier, the space opera Guardians of the Galaxy, the heist movie Ant-Man, and they brought all those together for the Avengers/Infinity events.

With the series option, they can expand on that. The spy movie is now its own genre (F&WS, Black Widow, Hawkeye). So are cosmic (Guardians, Thor, Eternals, Marvels), magic (Strange, WandaVision), mech suit (Iron Man, Armor Wars, Ironheart), and many others to come. I expect this is how we'll come to Fantastic Four, X-Men, and other properties, by carving out a corner inside the genre.

Anything that gives us this much world building and fan service I'm going to love. It's everything 1990s me ever wanted.

I don’t know how tight and cohesive I’d call it but it was fine from a popcorn viewing experience.  Sam Raimi was certainly the director given the various devices used throughout the film.  Had more recalls to Darkman than Spider-Man from a directing standpoint in my mind but that’s fine. 

Very curious of the one cameo and if that’s the future of that character and friends or if that was strictly a fan service moment given the casting wishes of the fans

Was legit surprised at the first post-credit scene and excited for that particular character/actress and potential storylines
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #431 on: May 07, 2022, 08:55:48 AM »
I have not seen yet but read the Rolling Stone interview with Sam last week.  He said it was a difficult film to make because it was a sequel to 3 Marvel movies and shows and the fact that they were still writing parts of the script due to tight Disney requested deadlines.  He said making this film reinvigorated him as a director.  He wants to make Spiderman 4 or another Marvel move and Tobey McGuire and Kristen Dunst were two of the best actors he ever worked with.  (At some point he was working to make some other movie with the both of them but it didn't pan out )

I will hope to see in the next week or so

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #432 on: May 07, 2022, 09:28:00 AM »
I don’t know how tight and cohesive I’d call it but it was fine from a popcorn viewing experience.  Sam Raimi was certainly the director given the various devices used throughout the film.  Had more recalls to Darkman than Spider-Man from a directing standpoint in my mind but that’s fine. 

Very curious of the one cameo and if that’s the future of that character and friends or if that was strictly a fan service moment given the casting wishes of the fans

Was legit surprised at the first post-credit scene and excited for that particular character/actress and potential storylines

Considering the potential of venturing into more of the What If? storylines, more multiple villain options that were foreshadowed, and how many universes were glimpsed but not explored, it could've been far less cohesive. Boiling it to the characters and relatively straight line plot they did made for a better movie from a popcorn plot perspective.

My guess is that one cameo you allude to was just a one-off. 10 years ago, it's probably the long-term foreshadow, but I think they'll go in a different direction, especially as that project may be delayed with recent developments.

And agree on that post credit reveal. Gave me the same "oh we're doing this" vibes that seeing Patton Oswalt as Pip and Harry Styles as Starfox gave in the Eternals post credits.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #433 on: May 16, 2022, 08:25:30 AM »

I finally saw Dr. Strange 2 over the weekend.  An entertaining film. 

Like Uncle Rico, I'm curious of the one cameo and if that’s the future of that character and friends or if that was strictly a fan service moment given the casting wishes of the fans.  In the same scene/part of the movie is that an official introduction for another character (the film has already been announced with no casting names) since these characters are nearly the same in all multi-verses?

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #434 on: June 08, 2022, 10:09:39 PM »
Ms Marvel is pure joy. Aesthetically creative, excellent casting, for my money the best pilot so far. Really enjoyed the first episode.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #435 on: June 08, 2022, 10:47:48 PM »
Ms Marvel is pure joy. Aesthetically creative, excellent casting, for my money the best pilot so far. Really enjoyed the first episode.

Eh, wasn’t a fan. Probably my second least favorite pilot behind Wandavision.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #436 on: June 09, 2022, 05:21:28 AM »
Eh, wasn’t a fan. Probably my second least favorite pilot behind Wandavision.
Sexist

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #437 on: June 29, 2022, 08:20:41 PM »
Ms Marvel remains awesome. Quite possibly the best MCU series so far. Captures the mix of teen angst, parental drama, and the supernatural that made Buffy such a brilliantly relatable superhero show. Not to mention awesome aesthetics, the by far best lead casting so far, and the most comic book feel of any show so far. The definition of joy on screen.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #438 on: July 07, 2022, 07:01:34 PM »
Thor was very ok.

Marvel has become very oversaturated with all the Disney+ content and still many movies a year mostly new stories. My fear was it died with endgame. I still feel that.

Better than Dr. Strange and Eternals? Yes. But thats not saying much when Thor should be one of your ringers.

Its not often I say a movie needed to be longer. But this absolutely did. Needed waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more Bale. A great villain badly underused.

And the tone was a sh it show.

CreightonWarrior

• Starter
« Reply #439 on: July 07, 2022, 09:27:49 PM »
Yeah it was fine. Tried pretty hard to be as funny as Ragnarok, which felt more natural.

I’m sure people will handle all the gay relationships in the movie with grace.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #440 on: July 10, 2022, 03:49:30 PM »
Good, fun popcorn movie. I don't imagine we'll look at it as moving the MCU forward the way other recent MCU movies have, but still entertaining. I did like how they brought Jane back in and Gorr was excellent.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #441 on: July 11, 2022, 07:49:44 AM »
I saw over the weekend and thought it was enjoyable fun for a summer popcorn film.
I thought the GOTG would have a bigger role, but it was probably better they didn't. 
Sneaky tie-ins to the Eternals and an inferred loose tie-in to Moonknight.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #442 on: July 13, 2022, 06:10:02 AM »
Ms Marvel finale was fantastic. The last five minutes open the door to so much MCU expansion going forward. This show just finishes with such strong Buffy vibes. This was my favorite MCU show so far by a mile.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #443 on: July 24, 2022, 07:52:51 AM »
Lots of announcements from Comic-Con. First, the timeline:

Phase 4: Ends with Wakanda Forever (Nov 11, 2022)

Phase 5
  • Ant-Man & The Wasp: Quantamania (Feb 17, 2023)
  • Secret Invasion (Spring 2023 on D+)
  • Guardians of the Galaxy, Vol 3 (May 5, 2023)
  • Echo (Summer 2023 on D+)
  • Loki S2 (Summer 2023 on D+)
  • The Marvels (July 28, 2023)
  • Blade (November 3, 2023)
  • Ironheart (Fall 2023 on D+)
  • Agatha: Coven of Chaos (Winter 2023/24 on D+)
  • Daredevil: Born Again (Spring 2024 on D+)
  • Captain America: New World Order (May 3, 2024)
  • Thunderbolts (July 26, 2024)
Phase 6
  • Fantastic 4 (November 28, 2024)
  • Avengers: The Kang Dynasty (May 2, 2025)
  • Avengers: Secret Wars (November 7, 2025)

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #444 on: July 24, 2022, 09:54:56 AM »
I thought this last three are end if phase 5?
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #445 on: July 24, 2022, 10:30:55 AM »
Phase 4 was a bust.

But pumped about the future.

Cannot wait for DD to return. 18 eps?? Lets go.

CreightonWarrior

• Starter
« Reply #446 on: July 24, 2022, 10:35:43 AM »
Wakanda Forever looks amazing.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #447 on: July 25, 2022, 09:46:00 AM »
Phase 4 was a bust.

But pumped about the future.

Cannot wait for DD to return. 18 eps?? Lets go.

I think Phase 4 was like Phase 1. It's just setup. I thought we got three good movies (Shang-Chi, No Way Home, Multiverse of Madness), two that were more to set up the future (Eternals, Love & Thunder), and Black Widow to close Natasha's story. Hopefully Wakanda Forever can be a signature movie like Avengers was to cap it off and launch us into the next two phases.

The TV side was also huge, and I thought some of it (Ms Marvel, WandaVision, Hawkeye) was truly excellent.

Regardless, it was all just prelude to the Phase 6 Avengers movies, similar to how Iron Man, Incredible Hulk, First Avenger, and Thor were prelude to the Phase 3 Infinity movies. A few thoughts after seeing the announcements at Comic-Con. First, Phase 4:

• Armor Wars: We get Riri Williams in Wakanda Forever, I'm expecting she will end up at MIT and we'll see MJ & Ned in Ironheart. Who all ends up with Stark Tech will be interesting, but I'm guessing it will pave the way for Thunderbolts as well as Ned becoming Hobgoblin. My guess is Armor Wars will be in Phase 6, since there are no TV series announced there yet.
  • Quantamania: Have to think we'll get a first glimpse of the Fantastic 4 here, maybe in a post-credit. Otherwise, entirely possible they reveal the cast at D23. Guessing we could see some original Guardians parallels as they set up Kang to be the next big bad ala Thanos.
  • Secret Invasion: Supposed to be a suspenseful, bordering on horror type thriller. Will be interesting to see how this impacts things going forward, as it could effect both cosmic  (GOTG3, Marvels) and street level (Echo, Daredevil, Cap) storylines.
  • Daredevil: Born Again: How they turn a 7-issue arc into 18 episodes will be interesting. Guessing they'll break it into two 9-part segments to hit multiple Emmy seasons.
  • Thunderbolts: No coincidence that this comes right out of the next Cap movie. What will the roster be? Baron Zemo as Citizen V is a given. Ghost replacing Goliath seems plausible. I think there's a chance we get Roscoe Sweeney from Daredevil (Fixer character, was an original Thunderbolt) in Stark Tech and possibly another Stark villain. Finally seeing Thunderbolt Ross as Red Hulk is also possible. Other candidates would include Abomination, Sonny Burch, Taskmaster, Bullseye, and Batroc.
Spider-Man gets his own category:

• Hobgoblin: Ned meets Riri at MIT, perfect opportunity for him to play around with Stark Tech, which sets him up as the best friend/villain trope the Peters talked about in NWH. Of course, Peter won't realize it's Ned until after a couple battles.
  • The Black Suit: In the comics, Spider-Man first encounters the symbiote in the Secret Wars comics. My guess is the symbiote that remained in 616 after Brock's cantina visit will join up with Peter on Battleworld. That sets up a two-villain return to earth in 2026's Spider-Man: Home Alone when the symbiote leaves him to become Venom and Ned's Hobgoblin moves to center stage.
  • Norman Osborne: Will they or won't they? I could see Zemo getting the Norman Osborne "save the world, become the villain running earth's security" job, but another Spidey movie where Spider-Man is alone and friendless sets up perfectly for a new group of acquaintances that includes both Harry and Norman.
  • Background Character: With everyone (except maybe Dr. Strange?) forgetting Spidey, I think we might see him become a background character who shows up everywhere. Rumors that Matt Murdock or Jen Walters will have to defend him in court, the Daily Bugle news stream with Jonah talking about the Spider-Menace as someone flips through channels, maybe getting into a fight with Johnny Storm in F4. Sony doesn't have to release a movie until mid-2027 to keep the license.
And what's missing?

• There are two big movie gaps in the calendar. February 2024 and Summer 2025. It wouldn't surprise me if we get something added in to one or both of those slots, maybe Deadpool 3.
  • What If? season 2 wasn't on the calendar, but on Friday they confirmed at the animation special that it's coming in early 2023.
  • Marvel Zombies and Spider-Man: Freshman Year are likely to be added to Phase 5/6 on the animation side.
  • No series announced for Phase 6, but expanding on Hawkeye, Moon Knight, Ms Marvel, or the street level (Punisher, Cage, Jessica Jones?) seems possible, as does Nova (after GOTG3) or the new Wakanda series. I definitely think a fourth movie and 2-4 more series are on the table for Phase 6.
  • Hanging storylines include a possible War of the Realms with Zeus (and Herc factoring in to Battleworld), Starfox and where the space-bound Eternals go (maybe GOTG3 crossover?), where Clea took Strange (Dark Dimension, or maybe Battleworld?), what Sharon Carter is up to, the Young Avengers coming together, and the now-acknowledged presence of mutation.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #448 on: August 10, 2022, 12:02:43 PM »
I Am Groot is a fun little watch. It's 5 episodes, each is listed at 6 minutes each, but probably only take 3-4 minutes to watch before the credits roll. Nothing required or ground-breaking, but enjoyable. You can probably watch it all in about 20 minutes.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #449 on: August 23, 2022, 10:18:46 AM »
She-Hulk was pleasant.   A breezy 40 minutes setting up the rest.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.