[April 26, 2024, 10:00:30 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by avid1010
[April 26, 2024, 07:48:11 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[April 26, 2024, 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Wojo's Leash  (Read 56951 times)

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: Wojo's Leash
« Reply #250 on: January 17, 2016, 11:04:37 AM »
Oh STFU with bumping this today. We lost to two top-10 teams this week. If this team finishes 8-10 or better in league this year, it's a success. Wojo's doing fine.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #251 on: January 17, 2016, 12:17:42 PM »
So with a bit of a body of work now where are we at?  Non-con overall above expectations, conference play about at expectations (1 for 3 on big time scalps, but offset by fact we should have beat SH or Gtown - and neither a bad team, but SH a very bad loss) - if we run out the season on this trajectory (but I would say more downside than upside risk at this point) we are NIT and Wojo won't have wowed us but not terribly disappointed us either.  I know nothing short of a 12 game losing streak to end the season could disappoint Tower (or would even that?) but everyone else?

I predicted 17 wins for this team.  So far, this team as exceeded my expectations.  I don't believe that a team so heavily reliant on freshmen can be expected to be any kind of consistent.   I don't believe that parts of the growth process can be skipped.   Young players need to learn how to compete at much higher levels than they are accustomed to.    Xavier had a whole bunch of 22-23 year olds facing a whole bunch of 18-19-20 year olds.    Size (vertical and horizontal) matters and so does experience.     More than anything, I am patient.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

WarriorPride68

• All American
« Reply #252 on: January 17, 2016, 12:31:55 PM »
More or less, people on Scoop are getting restless. Haven't missed the tourney 3 straight years since the 4 year stretch in Deane's last 2 years & Creans first 2 years (1997/98 - 2001/02)

This team has talent & will come around. The plan is in place.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #253 on: January 17, 2016, 12:58:57 PM »
So with a bit of a body of work now where are we at?  Non-con overall above expectations, conference play about at expectations (1 for 3 on big time scalps, but offset by fact we should have beat SH or Gtown - and neither a bad team, but SH a very bad loss) - if we run out the season on this trajectory (but I would say more downside than upside risk at this point) we are NIT and Wojo won't have wowed us but not terribly disappointed us either. I know nothing short of a 12 game losing streak to end the season could disappoint Tower (or would even that?) but everyone else?

I'd be careful what I said about Georgetown.  They started off the year poorly, but IMO they have the most talented roster of any team in the Big East.

I'd be disappointed by a loss to Stetson, at St Johns or in either of the DePaul games.  Other than that, we're playing five teams that are better than us, and have three games left with two teams that (hopefully) are roughly on our level.  18 wins, 7-11 in conference would be a solid season from my point of view.

MU beating out Seton Hall and Creighton for sixth in the Big East and making the NCAA tournament is my absolute ceiling prediction, and would leave me ecstatic.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2016, 01:05:42 PM by Crean to Ann Arbor »
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #254 on: January 17, 2016, 01:36:47 PM »
So with a bit of a body of work now where are we at?  Non-con overall above expectations, conference play about at expectations (1 for 3 on big time scalps, but offset by fact we should have beat SH or Gtown - and neither a bad team, but SH a very bad loss) - if we run out the season on this trajectory (but I would say more downside than upside risk at this point) we are NIT and Wojo won't have wowed us but not terribly disappointed us either.  I know nothing short of a 12 game losing streak to end the season could disappoint Tower (or would even that?) but everyone else? 

To answer your question, he doesn't have a short leash.  They just signed him to an extension.

My goodness, they just lost to two top ten teams in back to back games.  What exactly were you expecting?

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #255 on: January 17, 2016, 02:19:50 PM »

To answer your question, he doesn't have a short leash.  They just signed him to an extension.

My goodness, they just lost to two top ten teams in back to back games.  What exactly were you expecting?

My guess is that the people who are bitching on this thread are the same morons who said in a thread awhile back that any Marquette basketball team who doesn't win the NCAA tournament doesn't deserve an "A" for their performance in a given year.
Have some patience, FFS.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #256 on: January 17, 2016, 11:30:39 PM »

My position on this earlier in this thread was to give Wojo a mulligan for the non conference and set an expectation of him to go 9-9 in conference to stay off hot seat. Since then the school extended his contract so he doesn't have to worry about being on hot seat. However, my expectation is still the same. He needs to show .500 in conference. There are 4 strong teams in the conference, so realistically we are playing to be the top dog of the next 6 or at worst 2nd in order to get to 9-9.  We have the talent relative to the rest of the league to achieve this with the right coaching leadership.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

MU82

• All American
« Reply #257 on: January 17, 2016, 11:38:07 PM »
I say dey shoulda fired da bum after losing by 8 to the No. 6 team in da nation!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

warriorfan 14

• Starter
« Reply #258 on: January 20, 2016, 09:01:48 PM »
time for wojo to start feeling some heat. guy can't coach. losing to depaul means just making the NIT will be a struggle. poor performances in front of the home crowds. little improvement. another disappointing season. as a longtime mu fan i'm very disappointed in this staff and am tired of this team being the whipping boy in the big east. this program is better than that

Shark

• All American
« Reply #259 on: January 20, 2016, 09:06:39 PM »
time for wojo to start feeling some heat. guy can't coach. losing to depaul means just making the NIT will be a struggle. poor performances in front of the home crowds. little improvement. another disappointing season. as a longtime mu fan i'm very disappointed in this staff and am tired of this team being the whipping boy in the big east. this program is better than that

I wanna tell you to relax but I just want to yell at the top of my lungs after watching that game.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #260 on: January 20, 2016, 09:14:10 PM »
So is the talent. But Wojo got a longer leash from MU by the extension. This game was a good judge of the state of the program.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

MomofMUltiples

• All American
« Reply #261 on: January 20, 2016, 09:14:17 PM »
Nothing to see here, people.  Move along.
I mean, OK, maybe he's secretly a serial killer who's pulled the wool over our eyes with his good deeds and smooth jumper - Pakuni (on Markus Howard)

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #262 on: January 20, 2016, 09:14:49 PM »
So is the talent. But Wojo got a longer leash from MU by the extension. This game was a good judge of the state of the program.

That extension means nothing.

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #263 on: January 20, 2016, 09:15:06 PM »
Gnaw that leash off Wojo and run for the woods.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #264 on: January 20, 2016, 09:22:07 PM »
That extension means nothing.
It sure as hell does if he doesn't get the job done. More coin will be paid out!!!!!!

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #265 on: January 20, 2016, 09:38:53 PM »
It sure as hell does if he doesn't get the job done. More coin will be paid out!!!!!!
True, but it won't prevent them from doing anything.

1SE

• All American
« Reply #266 on: January 21, 2016, 08:42:34 AM »

To beat DePaul at home. 
Real Warriors Demand Excellence

crazyfannyboy54

• Walk-On
« Reply #267 on: January 21, 2016, 09:07:23 AM »
In October coach Wojo told me directly this season would be better. For season ticket holders and casual fans in this really better?? just asking..

1SE

• All American
« Reply #268 on: January 21, 2016, 09:16:27 AM »
Wojo should take away his MU gear until he can start to win some games.  And he should take a pay cut - if he wants to get paid like a top-20 coach he needs to coach like a top-20 coach.

WarriorPride68

• All American
« Reply #269 on: January 21, 2016, 09:25:32 AM »
Wojo should take away his MU gear until he can start to win some games.  And he should take a pay cut - if he wants to get paid like a top-20 coach he needs to coach like a top-20 coach.

He's getting that much money!?

1SE

• All American
« Reply #270 on: January 21, 2016, 09:45:42 AM »
He's getting that much money!?

I don't think terms have been made public (certainly on extension but maybe even on original?) but Buzz was making 2.8 mil - which was top ten.  I think the rumor is that Wojo is around 2 mil all told - which would have him in the top-20 ballpark.  But someone with inside info can correct me if I'm wrong

WarriorPride68

• All American
« Reply #271 on: January 21, 2016, 09:49:21 AM »
I don't think terms have been made public (certainly on extension but maybe even on original?) but Buzz was making 2.8 mil - which was top ten.  I think the rumor is that Wojo is around 2 mil all told - which would have him in the top-20 ballpark.  But someone with inside info can correct me if I'm wrong

Appreciate the insight. Wojo making serious dough

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #272 on: January 21, 2016, 10:13:13 AM »
More or less, people on Scoop are getting restless. Haven't missed the tourney 3 straight years since the 4 year stretch in Deane's last 2 years & Creans first 2 years (1997/98 - 2001/02)

This team has talent & will come around. The plan is in place.
Whatever the plan is, it needs to come out of the place and show something. Right now, it has shown little. Recruiting talent, a good thing, but not developing the talent to win games against good competition.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #273 on: January 21, 2016, 10:18:30 AM »

Next year's tax returns will provide details.  Until then we are just guessing.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #274 on: January 21, 2016, 10:36:48 AM »
In October coach Wojo told me directly this season would be better. For season ticket holders and casual fans in this really better?? just asking..

If you don't think this season is better than last season, you have blocked last season out of your memory. Which I don't blame you for.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.