[April 26, 2024, 10:47:48 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by avid1010
[April 26, 2024, 07:48:11 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[April 26, 2024, 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Wojo's Leash  (Read 56992 times)

CTWarrior

• All American
Re: Wojo's Leash
« Reply #275 on: January 21, 2016, 11:00:24 AM »
If you don't think this season is better than last season, you have blocked last season out of your memory. Which I don't blame you for.

Last year we were watching several guys who had no chance of ever being big time contributors on a future good MU team use up a lot of minutes.  We may not be good, but at least this year we're watching some guys play who can eventually be part of something good at MU.  Good games by our seniors last year were nice, but didn't hold promise of anything.  I think from this point forward I'll be looking more for signs of maturation and improvement from our young guys than I will for wins.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #276 on: January 21, 2016, 11:50:22 AM »
MU's admin is going to take the long view of this.   He has a long leash.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #277 on: January 21, 2016, 12:42:54 PM »
I am sticking with my earlier thought on this thread. Mulligan for Non Conference. Needs to go 9-9 in conference. We are not half way finished with the conference.

We have plenty of tools it is just a matter of putting them all together and getting on a run.  The coaches and the kids area all committed so lets see what the rest of the year brings us.

The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #278 on: January 21, 2016, 12:51:29 PM »
MU's admin is going to take the long view of this.   He has a long leash.

Agreed, Wojo is doing fine given the long term nature of the plan.  As long as the recruits continue to come in and then stay so that they can be competitive as upperclassmen, Wojo will be on track to make MU a player in the Big East.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #279 on: January 21, 2016, 12:56:04 PM »
Needs to go 9-9 in conference.

Needs to go 9-9?

Or what?

You personally are going to fire Wojo?
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #280 on: January 21, 2016, 12:59:54 PM »
Needs to go 9-9?

Or what?

I let it go, but I was thinking along the same lines....
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #281 on: January 21, 2016, 03:21:00 PM »
Needs to go 9-9?

Or what?

This is an Internet message board.

If he doesn't go 9-9 I think he deserves to be on the hot seat. Like I said I was willing to give him a free pass through non conference. I am not in the camp that thinks we are starved of talent.

That is just my opinion and maybe you have another one. I would be delighted to hear it.
            ---Al McGuire

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #282 on: January 21, 2016, 03:23:03 PM »

If he doesn't go 9-9 I think he deserves to be on the hot seat. Like I said I was willing to give him a free pass through non conference. I am not in the camp that thinks we are starved of talent.

That is just my opinion and maybe you have another one. I would be delighted to hear it.

Who's hot seat?  Yours?  He isn't going to be on any other hot seat in the country, I assure you. 

KenoshaWarrior

• All American
« Reply #283 on: January 21, 2016, 03:23:42 PM »

Not starved at talent at all

We have a roster full of top 100 guys

MomofMUltiples

• All American
« Reply #284 on: January 21, 2016, 03:42:25 PM »

I don't think we're starved for talent - we're starved for experience.  And the only way to resolve that is more time.

Only hot seat Wojo's got is the heated driver's seat in his car.
I mean, OK, maybe he's secretly a serial killer who's pulled the wool over our eyes with his good deeds and smooth jumper - Pakuni (on Markus Howard)

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #285 on: January 21, 2016, 03:46:21 PM »
I don't think we're starved for talent - we're starved for experience.  And the only way to resolve that is more time.

Only hot seat Wojo's got is the heated driver's seat in his car.

Agree completely.  Rarely does inexperience win.  There are exceptions, including Crean's team with Wes, DJ, Jerel, etc.  But those are typically exceptions and that team had Novak as a senior....pretty damn good Senior to have on a team to steady things.

WarriorPride68

• All American
« Reply #286 on: January 21, 2016, 03:53:58 PM »
Not starved at talent at all

We have a roster full of top 100 guys

Fwiw, you are right. I forget how highly these kids were ranked. Only Sacar & Wally are outside the top 150 per "247" national comp:

PG - Cheatham - #76 Natl comp
SG - Duane - #59 Natl comp
SF - Sandy - #74 Natl comp
SF - JJJ - #32 Natl comp
PF - Fish - #88 Natl comp
C - Henry - #9 Natl comp

Heldt - #136 Natl comp
Traci - #126 Natl comp

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #287 on: January 21, 2016, 04:46:15 PM »
Fwiw, you are right. I forget how highly these kids were ranked. Only Sacar & Wally are outside the top 150 per "247" national comp:

PG - Cheatham - #76 Natl comp
SG - Duane - #59 Natl comp
SF - Sandy - #74 Natl comp
SF - JJJ - #32 Natl comp
PF - Fish - #88 Natl comp
C - Henry - #9 Natl comp

Heldt - #136 Natl comp
Traci - #126 Natl comp
That talent ranking is probably better than 80 to 90% of D1 teams.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #288 on: January 21, 2016, 06:09:49 PM »
Who's hot seat?  Yours?  He isn't going to be on any other hot seat in the country, I assure you.
Yes Of course mine. The school already extended his contract so he is clearly not on theirs.

Now get off my lawn.
            ---Al McGuire

MU82

• All American
« Reply #289 on: January 21, 2016, 07:35:17 PM »

My opinion is that he needs to go 9-9 ... because if he doesn't, he will have a record that is different from that.

1SE

• All American
« Reply #290 on: March 14, 2016, 03:19:33 AM »
Ok, other than Tower I think most people were at least mildly disappointed by this year's outcome. (Yes there were some bright spots, but on the whole, a mildly disappointing effort).  Of course Wojo's seat isn't warm now, but I think it is very reasonable to think that he has to prove something (to fans, future recruits, admin) next year.  The question is what?  Let's set the marker now.

I think a coach getting paid what we are paying Wojo with the resources he has should be able to 1) go out and get some beast of a 4 as a juco/grad transfer and 2) with that piece plus current and incoming talent. end next season as absolutely no worse than a team squarely on the bubble (I.e. In the tourney or a NIT 1 seed).  Thoughts?
Real Warriors Demand Excellence

tompopsicle

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #291 on: March 14, 2016, 03:56:03 AM »
I expect him to schedule more difficult games and win some of them. If we had a more difficult schedule this year and won the same number of games, I think we'd at least be in the NIT.

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #292 on: March 14, 2016, 03:59:31 AM »
Do you guys ever sleep?

1SE

• All American
« Reply #293 on: March 14, 2016, 04:08:44 AM »
Do you guys ever sleep?

Europe my 4am posting friend.

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #294 on: March 14, 2016, 04:12:38 AM »
Europe my 4am posting friend.
Ha that's funny. I guess I'm the only crazy one still up.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #295 on: March 14, 2016, 06:09:54 AM »
Ok, other than Tower I think most people were at least mildly disappointed by this year's outcome. (Yes there were some bright spots, but on the whole, a mildly disappointing effort).  Of course Wojo's seat isn't warm now, but I think it is very reasonable to think that he has to prove something (to fans, future recruits, admin) next year.  The question is what?  Let's set the marker now.

I think a coach getting paid what we are paying Wojo with the resources he has should be able to 1) go out and get some beast of a 4 as a juco/grad transfer and 2) with that piece plus current and incoming talent. end next season as absolutely no worse than a team squarely on the bubble (I.e. In the tourney or a NIT 1 seed).  Thoughts?

It was what I expected.   Disappointed that it has come to this?    Sure.    But looking at the roster objectively, it was what I expected. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #296 on: March 14, 2016, 07:36:18 AM »

I'm conflicted in my thoughts about the season. I expected to make the NIT and we didn't. But I also only expected 17 or 18 wins abd we exceeded that. We also only had one truly bad loss. We won more that I didn't expect to win than lost that I didn't expect to lose. In the end, I think we made my expectations but a terrible schedule and 15 NIT autobids kept us out of the postseason.

Wojo had already overachieved in recruiting so I really don't expect more there. I expect to finish in the top half of the conference and to make the ncaas. If we don't, then wojos seat gets a little warm for me. If after year four we still aren't in the promised land, I'm ready to move on.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #297 on: March 14, 2016, 08:13:12 AM »
I'll render judgement after I see the roster composition in May. HE is a shoe yet to drop, could be another, then we have to see what Wojo picks up in recruits.

Hauser's coming in and Rowsey will be eligible, those will be helpful. If Wojo can keep everything but HE together and add a rebounding/defensive PF then NCAA is the expectation.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

MU82

• All American
« Reply #298 on: March 14, 2016, 08:29:24 AM »
My expectations for next season is that lots of Scoopers will moan no matter what the team does.

1SE

• All American
« Reply #299 on: March 14, 2016, 09:05:17 AM »
I'll render judgement after I see the roster composition in May. HE is a shoe yet to drop, could be another, then we have to see what Wojo picks up in recruits.

Hauser's coming in and Rowsey will be eligible, those will be helpful. If Wojo can keep everything but HE together and add a rebounding/defensive PF then NCAA is the expectation.

But this is part of my point - isn't some of the evaluation of Wojo what kind of roster  he can put together?  If if he doesn't fill the holes effectively isn't that just as problematic as losing games?