'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Wojo's Leash  (Read 56934 times)

CTWarrior

• All American
Re: Wojo's Leash
« Reply #300 on: March 14, 2016, 09:18:11 AM »
But this is part of my point - isn't some of the evaluation of Wojo what kind of roster  he can put together?  If if he doesn't fill the holes effectively isn't that just as problematic as losing games?

Of course it is, but what about his performance so far has you worried about his recruiting? 

When you get down to it, the main down theme about this year is that we played a poorly designed schedule and there were a few games where we were dominated and there were no games against high-major teams where just rolled to an easy win.  That probably means, if anything, we were more likely worse than our record, not better. 

Wojo inherited a mess.  He is making strides to pull us out of it.  He appears to be a solid recruiter and camera-friendly and capable and organized.  We'll get better.  It's just that I don't know when and the wait is getting frustrating.  I'd love to see us progress to the NCAAs next year, but if HE doesn't return we will need more than the normal freshman to sophomore improvement cycle.  We need some bangers inside.  You can't successfully play 4 small, one big when the one big is not an athletic shot blocker and the 4 smalls are not 3 point savants.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #301 on: March 14, 2016, 09:19:41 AM »
But this is part of my point - isn't some of the evaluation of Wojo what kind of roster  he can put together?  If if he doesn't fill the holes effectively isn't that just as problematic as losing games?

I have more patience with roster issues after this year as it's only his second recruiting class after the dumpster fire Buzz left behind. And his first two have been very good so far.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #302 on: March 14, 2016, 09:40:06 AM »

At the end of the day this year's roster was fine - an A+ would have added a JUCO or grad transfer - but it was a pretty darn good recruiting class. 

For next year its way to early to comment.  Too much will likely change.  I think we are all happy that our guards will all be taking a step forward on the experience spectrum -- now its up to the coaching staff to take the rest of the moving pieces and improve.

For me I worry less about roster management and more about some of the tactical coaching items around in-game management and our regression on defense toward the end of the year.  We will see what Wojo does with this.  He is not incompetent - he knows people are frustrated, he knows attendance is down and he clearly wants to succeed.  I dont think these things are lost on him or the current MU admin (the prior is another story).

« Last Edit: March 14, 2016, 09:43:20 AM by Frenns Liquor Depot »

tompopsicle

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #303 on: March 14, 2016, 10:00:19 AM »
Europe my 4am posting friend.

Yes'sir. Spain time. I only sleep during siesta.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #304 on: March 14, 2016, 10:12:21 AM »
I said this before and I'll say it again. It takes time to rebuild.

Look, Coach Wojo didn't inherit what Hank Raymonds did. Coach Raymonds inherited a national champion, mature team with a solid group of underclassmen who were prepared to step up. He had a guard-in-waiting in Sam Worthen for after Butch left.

Too much of this Board thinks Coach Wojo should be boiled in oil and fed to the wolves because he can't turn us around in one year and do what Coach Raymonds did in 1978 or 1979.

I'm actually more concerned about avoiding what happened through much of the 1980s than I am about where we are at this moment. I hope Henry stays another year, but if doesn't, OK, how do we fix it? Years ago, Jim Chones left and we "fixed it" with Maurice Lucas. Life moved on! Let's hope we can do that this year.

I know The Tanned One is hated around here, but when he left for Indiana -- a basketball blue blood school if there ever was one -- he got a 10 year contract from the Hoosiers. Coach Tanned One knew his program was in shambles and it was not a one-year rebuild. It took time but he's a lot closer now to making Indiana what it was than he was in Years 1 or 2 of his reign.

mu-rara

• All American
« Reply #305 on: March 14, 2016, 10:37:48 AM »
Glad your not on the BOT, or the executive level of Athletics, or a big donor.

feedback