Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

“I’m worried that Marquette will miss the 2025 NCAA Tournament.” -Field of 68 by Viper
[Today at 07:27:04 PM]

NM by mu_hilltopper
[Today at 07:15:38 PM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by zcg2013
[Today at 01:19:59 PM]

Go Here by tower912
[Today at 11:41:21 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Herman Cain
[May 30, 2024, 06:21:03 PM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by MarquetteMike1977
[May 30, 2024, 05:04:33 PM]

2024-25 Roster by StillAWarrior
[May 30, 2024, 03:43:45 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Recruiting as of 5/15/24  (Read 8772156 times)

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
Re: Recruiting as of 10/15/17
« Reply #11200 on: November 01, 2017, 04:45:27 PM »
Can tell Stan is a little bitter about this.

https://twitter.com/MUCoachJohnson/status/925828597532823555

Nah, he's just continuing to do his job, to make MU's case for now and the future.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #11201 on: November 01, 2017, 04:49:57 PM »
Herro at MU is not going to happen at this point.  Herro stock has really risen in the past couple months to the point that his camp believes he is a one and done.  A majority of the one and dones the past few years go to a blue blood that pumps out NBA picks- Duke, UK, KU, Zona, etc.  Or they go to an average major conference team that will let the one and done be "The Man" from day one- see Ben Simmons, Fultz, Porter, our own Henry Ellenson.

UW offers him neither of these.  They are the opposite of a NBA one and done factory, and they weren't going to promise him anything because they will have all of their guards back next year (who they are high on) and possibly Happ.  That's why he decommited from UW.  Pretty much the same thing with MU, they will have basically the whole team back including Howard, both Hausers, Morrow, etc next year.  They are not going to hand the keys to Herro and promise him X number of shots, points, minutes etc. 

Not to mention, Ike Wilson is pretty heavily involved with Herro at this point and he's not the biggest supporter of Wojo or MU right now, based on perceived slights toward his son.

So Herro isn't going to UW or MU because they have too many good players?
Too much competition? But he might go to UK? LOL. The competition will be much tougher there and no way Cal is going to guarantee him time.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #11202 on: November 01, 2017, 04:50:06 PM »
KO really lucked out in coming into the MU job when one of the top classes of Wisconsin HS talent ever was available, Key McIlvaine and Lgtermann.  Also, Curry transferred from the school where KO had been an assistant the year before.  Everything KO did was based off that first year's recruiting class.

KO's greatest legacy is he told his players no one was going to Tennessee (though some wanted to initially).  And all of his recruits kept their commitments.

Mike Deane (who i absolutely adore) was able to put together a NIT Runner up, a 4 seed and a CUSA Tourney champ because KO kept it all together for MU.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #11203 on: November 01, 2017, 04:51:37 PM »
To comment on something someone said a few pages back, I think the quality of parents is a bigger factor in recruiting than many might think. Coaches don't tell their players what they want to hear. They tell them what they need to hear to get better and to help the team. Oftentimes, players don't like what they hear. Unfortunately, the generation of parents today tends to side with their child over their teachers. I've always thought this comic was incredibly true:

Coach is just another word for teacher. Teams nowadays get good in one of three ways. They either add elite one and one type talent (Duke, UK, etc). Or they get old and experienced (Villanova, Wisconsin, etc). Or some combination of the first two (KU, Michigan State, etc). The recruitment of Grimes shows us that Wojo wants to get to that third category, but until we can attract that kind of talent, we have to go with strategy #2. In today's "Give me playing time or I'll transfer" culture, it is a great benefit to have players whose parents understand that what is best for their child is often not what the child might want in the moment. Look at Sacar. I'm sure he was devestated when Wojo approached him about redshirtting. But from interviews with Sacar, he said that he talked it over with his family and they helped him see that it was actually the best thing for him. Now he appears set to have a major role off the bench and possibly even a starting role. Sub in another set of parents and Sacar would have likely transferred.

I have no idea if Herro's parents are what's keeping us away. I have heard his dad is a handful but I've never met the man so I don't want to pass judgement. Personally, I just don't think he is a match for what we need. I think Wojo is focused on securing another PG in either 2018 or 2019.

I agree with this analysis.

esotericmindguy

• All American
« Reply #11204 on: November 01, 2017, 04:53:42 PM »
Herro at MU is not going to happen at this point.  Herro stock has really risen in the past couple months to the point that his camp believes he is a one and done.  A majority of the one and dones the past few years go to a blue blood that pumps out NBA picks- Duke, UK, KU, Zona, etc.  Or they go to an average major conference team that will let the one and done be "The Man" from day one- see Ben Simmons, Fultz, Porter, our own Henry Ellenson.

UW offers him neither of these.  They are the opposite of a NBA one and done factory, and they weren't going to promise him anything because they will have all of their guards back next year (who they are high on) and possibly Happ.  That's why he decommited from UW.  Pretty much the same thing with MU, they will have basically the whole team back including Howard, both Hausers, Morrow, etc next year.  They are not going to hand the keys to Herro and promise him X number of shots, points, minutes etc. 

Not to mention, Ike Wilson is pretty heavily involved with Herro at this point and he's not the biggest supporter of Wojo or MU right now, based on perceived slights toward his son.

So let me get this straight. MU or UW won't hand over the keys but Duke, UK, KU or Zona will? Please. Herro committed too early and blew up, no kid should commit that early. "Handing over the keys" isn't why Grimes or Herro will pick a blue blood. History, sending multiple kids to the NBA every year, deep runs into the tournament, television, playing against other pros every day in practice and top notch coaching is a good sell. Not to mention the "swag" factor of putting a Kansas/Kentucky jersey on. That's what it means when he eventually says the cliche, "at the end of the day it felt like the right place for me".
« Last Edit: November 01, 2017, 04:55:45 PM by esotericmindguy »

muguru

• All American
« Reply #11205 on: November 01, 2017, 04:57:51 PM »
Can tell Stan is a little bitter about this.

https://twitter.com/MUCoachJohnson/status/925828597532823555

I still think(and it's a gut feel), that something happened towards the end here. The deleting of Wojo on Twitter, and vice versa, just seems like someone was "angry" about something. I mean losing out on a kid is one thing, and it's happened to Stan/Wojo plenty, but I just get this vobe that something happened here that made it end.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

SaveOD238

• All American
« Reply #11206 on: November 01, 2017, 05:01:00 PM »
Does anyone know how we are progressing on the Nobel Days recruitment?

I'll ask around with my students.  The top hoops guys in Racine all know each other, so I'll see if any of them know or have heard anything re: Nobal.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #11207 on: November 01, 2017, 05:03:09 PM »
I still think(and it's a gut feel), that something happened towards the end here. The deleting of Wojo on Twitter, and vice versa, just seems like someone was "angry" about something. I mean losing out on a kid is one thing, and it's happened to Stan/Wojo plenty, but I just get this vobe that something happened here that made it end.

I am guessing it's because he knew our exhibition record would hurt our seeding.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

DienerTime34

• All American
« Reply #11208 on: November 01, 2017, 05:08:56 PM »
I am guessing it's because he knew our exhibition record would hurt our seeding.

Yeah, now I'm dying to know how it went so wrong, so quickly. Especially after reports that the visit went well.

mr.MUskie

• All American
« Reply #11209 on: November 01, 2017, 05:15:24 PM »
Yeah, now I'm dying to know how it went so wrong, so quickly. Especially after reports that the visit went well.

Calling Big Daddy!

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #11210 on: November 01, 2017, 05:16:47 PM »
Maybe nothing went wrong, we just were always the fourth wheel and the coaches did not realize that.

MomofMUltiples

• All American
« Reply #11211 on: November 01, 2017, 05:20:57 PM »
FWIW, I've heard Nobal is a UW lean.

I will say that I do blame a lot of this on the one-and-done culture, and elite group of players who are just looking for a place to play pickup ball until the NBA allows them to enter the draft.  I'm thinking we need to go back to kids going straight from HS to the draft, with at least a two year commitment for kids who decide to go to college instead.  If you have to play that game to win, there will only ever be a few winners because of the pipeline of these guys to UK, KU, Duke and maybe a handful of others.  It always heartens me when we see teams like Villanova, Gonzaga, and even the hated Badgers make it to the top level with three and four year players.  So, I would say keep going after these guys, because we know what difference makers they are, keep locking up the top WI talent, and build with guys who have a team mentality and are not just there to showcase their abilities for the NBA.  I feel really good about this program, and I'm happy (and patient) to watch where it goes.  I know some of you on this board don't agree with me, but personally my life is affected very little by whether or not MU wins a national championship.  I just want to watch our boys play their hearts out and win a good share, hopefully with regular tourney appearances.  Anything else to me is icing on the cake.
I mean, OK, maybe he's secretly a serial killer who's pulled the wool over our eyes with his good deeds and smooth jumper - Pakuni (on Markus Howard)

dw3dw3dw3

• All American
« Reply #11212 on: November 01, 2017, 05:23:29 PM »
I'll ask around with my students.  The top hoops guys in Racine all know each other, so I'll see if any of them know or have heard anything re: Nobal.
he was at madness with Sibley

TheyWereCones

• Starter
« Reply #11213 on: November 01, 2017, 05:31:01 PM »
I see everyone giving up on Grimes, but has any actual evidence outside of a lot of speculation and interpreting Twitter behavior occurred? Is it confirmed that we aren’t visiting this week still?
Those could have been guests at her wedding.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #11214 on: November 01, 2017, 05:39:39 PM »
The Badger fans' treatment of Herro might have the big name kids in Wisconsin souring on the Badgers...
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #11215 on: November 01, 2017, 05:40:38 PM »
I see everyone giving up on Grimes, but has any actual evidence outside of a lot of speculation and interpreting Twitter behavior occurred? Is it confirmed that we aren’t visiting this week still?

Nah but apparently Mark Miller said we’re out
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

TinyTimsLittleBrother

• Starter
« Reply #11216 on: November 01, 2017, 05:43:37 PM »

How do we know it went wrong? 

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #11217 on: November 01, 2017, 05:58:59 PM »
/EDIT/

KO also had Tony Smith his first year who pretty much single-handedly pulled them into the NIT.
You're welcome

I jest. I am to Tony Smith as MUFINY is to a program insider, no relation
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

Skitch

• All American
« Reply #11218 on: November 01, 2017, 06:05:38 PM »
The Badger fans' treatment of Herro might have the big name kids in Wisconsin souring on the Badgers...

Wasn't it Nobal Days father who had some unflattering comments about internet fans (message board and twitter) after Herro's decommit?

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #11219 on: November 01, 2017, 06:17:03 PM »
Wasn't it Nobal Days father who had some unflattering comments about internet fans (message board and twitter) after Herro's decommit?

Yes....and Badger fans attacked him for it. Jalen Johnson also tweeted support for Herro and the Badger fans attacked him for it. Just loads of stupid. Think Jalen is heading to a blue blood anyway.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #11220 on: November 01, 2017, 06:53:11 PM »
FWIW, I've heard Nobal is a UW lean.

I will say that I do blame a lot of this on the one-and-done culture, and elite group of players who are just looking for a place to play pickup ball until the NBA allows them to enter the draft.  I'm thinking we need to go back to kids going straight from HS to the draft, with at least a two year commitment for kids who decide to go to college instead.  If you have to play that game to win, there will only ever be a few winners because of the pipeline of these guys to UK, KU, Duke and maybe a handful of others.  It always heartens me when we see teams like Villanova, Gonzaga, and even the hated Badgers make it to the top level with three and four year players.  So, I would say keep going after these guys, because we know what difference makers they are, keep locking up the top WI talent, and build with guys who have a team mentality and are not just there to showcase their abilities for the NBA.  I feel really good about this program, and I'm happy (and patient) to watch where it goes.  I know some of you on this board don't agree with me, but personally my life is affected very little by whether or not MU wins a national championship.  I just want to watch our boys play their hearts out and win a good share, hopefully with regular tourney appearances.  Anything else to me is icing on the cake.

Agree.  I would not waste my time on one and drones.  It's not a good way to build a program.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #11221 on: November 01, 2017, 07:03:09 PM »
Anybody who says they wouldn’t take the Anthony Davis’s of the world is either completely crazy or trying to make themselves feel better with Grimes moving on. Give me as many one and dones at Marquette as possible. We’re starting to sound like Badger fans here.

“I just want our guys to try really hard on the court and even harder in their agricultural studies classes. Diamond Stone had no business being at Wisconsin, he only cares about basketball and not what’s really important here, school!”

Let’s be honest, these kids are here to help MU make money by winning basketball games. If they’re doing illegal things and/or things that put people at harm then there is an issue. Otherwise? Put a basketball through a rim with a Marquette jersey on for 1-4 years and everything else is gravy.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

🏀

• All American
« Reply #11222 on: November 01, 2017, 07:05:59 PM »
Anybody who says they wouldn’t take the Anthony Davis’s of the world is either completely crazy or trying to make themselves feel better with Grimes moving on. Give me as many one and dones at Marquette as possible. We’re starting to sound like Badger fans here.

“I just want our guys to try really hard on the court and even harder in their agricultural studies classes. Diamond Stone had no business being at Wisconsin, he only cares about basketball and not what’s really important here, school!”

Let’s be honest, these kids are here to help MU make money by winning basketball games. If they’re doing illegal things and/or things that put people at harm then there is an issue. Otherwise? Put a basketball through a rim with a Marquette jersey on for 1-4 years and everything else is gravy.

Some are sounding like Badger fans, mostly the response is pretty good.

UNC Eagle

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #11223 on: November 01, 2017, 07:09:03 PM »
Thanks , I have to pay attention to auto correct re Nobal lol Apple thinks it’s the Nobel prize or something.
UNC Grad MU Fan

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #11224 on: November 01, 2017, 07:12:13 PM »
Some are sounding like Badger fans, mostly the response is pretty good.

I just mean in terms of passing on one and dones and wins somehow meaning more if it’s done with 4 year guys who are on the Dean’s List. If it happens that way? Sweet. But if you told me I can have a bunch of Otules get me to an E8 with a really solid season or I can take a bunch of one and done NBA guys and win a National title? Give me a title.

I couldn’t care less how long kids are here. Win some basketball games. If you’re good enough to make millions of dollars in your profession after 1, 2, 3, or 4 years who am I to say you should stick around for longer or value your wins less because you had the opportunity of a lifetime and left before you were required to?
« Last Edit: November 01, 2017, 07:13:55 PM by QuentinsWorld »

feedback