[Today at 06:33:56 PM]

Arby's National Roast Beef Day Deal by oldwarrior81
[Today at 05:24:39 PM]

2024-25 Roster by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[June 08, 2024, 07:42:23 PM]

Incoming freshmen by MuMark
[June 08, 2024, 07:03:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Recruiting as of 5/15/24  (Read 8887250 times)

Marcus92

• All American
Re: Recruiting as of 10/15/17
« Reply #11250 on: November 02, 2017, 10:45:40 AM »
Agreed completely. Seeing a thread pop up about next year when this hasn't even started...I love the enthusiasm but I hope we aren't putting all our eggs in a basket that might look totally different in 12 months when we have a season to enjoy starting in a week.

+1,000,000

A year ago, the Big East coaches picked MU to finish 7th in the Big East. Thanks in part to the long-range prowess of newcomers Markus Howard, Andrew Rowsey, Sam Hauser and Katin Reinhardt, that team surprised everyone — finishing tied for 3rd and earning an NCAA bid.

This year, the coaches once again have us slotted for the 7th place spot in the conference. (Behind St. Johns? Seriously?) But this team has every bit as much talent as last season's roster. I'd say even more. The heart of the offense returns in Howard, Rowsey and Hauser. Rebounding could actually be a strength for once — with the addition of players like Theo John and Harry Froling. And based on the law of averages alone, the defense should be improved.

Yes, the future looks bright for the program. But I'm very excited for this season.
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #11251 on: November 02, 2017, 10:55:36 AM »
+1,000,000

A year ago, the Big East coaches picked MU to finish 7th in the Big East. Thanks in part to the long-range prowess of newcomers Markus Howard, Andrew Rowsey, Sam Hauser and Katin Reinhardt, that team surprised everyone — finishing tied for 3rd and earning an NCAA bid.

This year, the coaches once again have us slotted for the 7th place spot in the conference. (Behind St. Johns? Seriously?) But this team has every bit as much talent as last season's roster. I'd say even more. The heart of the offense returns in Howard, Rowsey and Hauser. Rebounding could actually be a strength for once — with the addition of players like Theo John and Harry Froling. And based on the law of averages alone, the defense should be improved.

Yes, the future looks bright for the program. But I'm very excited for this season.

St. John's is sorta loaded.  Their main position they have problems at is coaching.

barfolomew

• All American
« Reply #11252 on: November 02, 2017, 11:18:07 AM »
St. John's is sorta loaded.  Their main position they have problems at is coaching.

Offensively, yes, loaded.
MU could definitely lose to them, but if they do, I'd put the over/under at about 200.
Relationes Incrementum Victoria

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #11253 on: November 02, 2017, 11:33:31 AM »
Yes, we could lose to St. John's. We did just that last season, falling on the road in a January game that was incredibly frustrating to watch.

But this is the same St. John's team that finished 14-19 a year ago, winning just 7 Big East games and finishing 8th in the conference. In our second matchup, we beat them by 22. Their talent and athleticism were apparent, but they were wildly inconsistent — with not only the 4th least efficient offense in the conference, but also the 3rd least efficient defense (barely ahead of Marquette).

I'm not sure what the Big East coaches see that makes St. John's at least 3 games better relative to MU for the 2017-18 season.

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #11254 on: November 02, 2017, 12:11:21 PM »
Yes, we could lose to St. John's. We did just that last season, falling on the road in a January game that was incredibly frustrating to watch.

But this is the same St. John's team that finished 14-19 a year ago, winning just 7 Big East games and finishing 8th in the conference. In our second matchup, we beat them by 22. Their talent and athleticism were apparent, but they were wildly inconsistent — with not only the 4th least efficient offense in the conference, but also the 3rd least efficient defense (barely ahead of Marquette).

I'm not sure what the Big East coaches see that makes St. John's at least 3 games better relative to MU for the 2017-18 season.

Kind of a lot of ignorant statements in there.  All the things that you attribute to Mullin being a horrible could be attributed to any new coach that had a roster entirely blown up before arriving.  Sort of like Wojos first few teams, undertalented, inconsistant, young, etc.  All because Wojo was a bad coach?  SJU is another year older, sophs have become juniors and freshman have become sophs.  Additionally, they have two extremely talented transfers eligible this year, one from Arizona and the other from Michigan State.  Sort of like we are putting stock in Morrow.  Both were Top 40 national recruits, have 3 yrs of eligibility and received a ton of minutes as freshman for big time programs.  Clark put up a double double n simon 7 assists in their exhibition.  Will be major contributirs.  Very similar programs in that Coming on from big rebuilds, you really cant have it both ways in discounting what SJU is doing and their coach n at the same time complimenting MU for the same thing.  Especially when a vastly younger team split with MU last year.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2017, 12:18:04 PM by Mr. Sand-Knit »
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

PJDunn

• All American
« Reply #11255 on: November 02, 2017, 12:23:53 PM »
The Big East (MU included) would benefit from a resurgent St John's program.  We would also benefit from a resurrection at DePaul, although that is probably not in the cards for a while. 

Martin Monster...anything to add?

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #11256 on: November 02, 2017, 12:28:53 PM »
The Big East (MU included) would benefit from a resurgent St John's program.  We would also benefit from a resurrection at DePaul, although that is probably not in the cards for a while. 

Martin Monster...anything to add?

Every conference needs doormats

In a conference of 10, two is fine

GoldenDieners32

• All American
« Reply #11257 on: November 02, 2017, 12:29:14 PM »
Don't remember if this was mentioned or not but De'Vion Harmon is committing tomorrow

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #11258 on: November 02, 2017, 12:36:32 PM »
Don't remember if this was mentioned or not but De'Vion Harmon is committing tomorrow

To Oklahoma.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #11259 on: November 02, 2017, 12:45:04 PM »
Kind of a lot of ignorant statements in there.  All the things that you attribute to Mullin being a horrible could be attributed to any new coach that had a roster entirely blown up before arriving.  Sort of like Wojos first few teams, undertalented, inconsistant, young, etc.  All because Wojo was a bad coach?  SJU is another year older, sophs have become juniors and freshman have become sophs.  Additionally, they have two extremely talented transfers eligible this year, one from Arizona and the other from Michigan State.  Sort of like we are putting stock in Morrow.  Both were Top 40 national recruits, have 3 yrs of eligibility and received a ton of minutes as freshman for big time programs.  Clark put up a double double n simon 7 assists in their exhibition.  Will be major contributirs.  Very similar programs in that Coming on from big rebuilds, you really cant have it both ways in discounting what SJU is doing and their coach n at the same time complimenting MU for the same thing.  Especially when a vastly younger team split with MU last year.

Came here to say this.  Well said.  The transfers are huge for them.

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #11260 on: November 02, 2017, 12:46:29 PM »

Not sure how anything I said was ignorant — that's a pretty loaded term to be casually throwing around. I stated facts about MU's games against St. John's last season, facts about St. John's record last season, facts about St. John's efficiency last season. And I watched them play maybe a half dozen other games. My post didn't include a word about Mullin or any other member of the St. John's coaching staff.

I don't dispute their talent and potential. What I question is the assumption on the part of the Big East coaches that St. John's has leapfrogged Marquette (a team 3 games ahead of them in the conference standings last season).

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #11261 on: November 02, 2017, 12:49:12 PM »

One interesting thing I noticed about St. John's when writing the preview for them this season. They went 7-11 in conference. Only 2 of those 7 conference wins were by double digits (10 vs. DePaul and 14 vs. Marquette). Only 1 of those 11 conference losses were by single digits (5 vs. Xavier). So when they managed a win they barely won and when they lost, they lost big. I don't think St. John's was as close to the rest of the pack as their 7-11 record might have suggested.

Came here to say this.  Well said.  The transfers are huge for them.

I like the Marvin Clark Jr addition a lot. I'm not as big on Justin Simon but he must have been a top 40 recruit for some reason. What I don't like about either of their additions is that they were both poor defenders at their last schools. Seems like St. John's is doubling down on offense and giving up on defense. Barf is right, o/u on our matchups with St. John's might be 200.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #11262 on: November 02, 2017, 12:52:17 PM »
Not sure how anything I said was ignorant — that's a pretty loaded term to be casually throwing around. I stated facts about MU's games against St. John's last season, facts about St. John's record last season, facts about St. John's efficiency last season. And I watched them play maybe a half dozen other games. My post didn't include a word about Mullin or any other member of the St. John's coaching staff.

I don't dispute their talent and potential. What I question is the assumption on the part of the Big East coaches that St. John's has leapfrogged Marquette (a team 3 games ahead of them in the conference standings last season).

We lost Fisher, Jajuan, and Katin.

Three starters.  You can toss our numbers out since they included three efficient starters.

St. Johns lost nothing, gained experience, and gained two great transfers.

That's how they jump Marquette.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #11263 on: November 02, 2017, 12:53:21 PM »
One interesting thing I noticed about St. John's when writing the preview for them this season. They went 7-11 in conference. Only 2 of those 7 conference wins were by double digits (10 vs. DePaul and 14 vs. Marquette). Only 1 of those 11 conference losses were by single digits (5 vs. Xavier). So when they managed a win they barely won and when they lost, they lost big. I don't think St. John's was as close to the rest of the pack as their 7-11 record might have suggested.

I like the Marvin Clark Jr addition a lot. I'm not as big on Justin Simon but he must have been a top 40 recruit for some reason. What I don't like about either of their additions is that they were both poor defenders at their last schools. Seems like St. John's is doubling down on offense and giving up on defense. Barf is right, o/u on our matchups with St. John's might be 200.

Love games like that, sign me up!

MomofMUltiples

• All American
« Reply #11264 on: November 02, 2017, 12:55:32 PM »

Wow, Sand-knit, aside from calling Marcus ignorant, if you continue with this reasonable and useful philosophical/analytical bent you're on, I may even have to un-ignore you.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2017, 01:35:00 PM by MomofMUltiples »
I mean, OK, maybe he's secretly a serial killer who's pulled the wool over our eyes with his good deeds and smooth jumper - Pakuni (on Markus Howard)

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #11265 on: November 02, 2017, 12:57:08 PM »
My mustake marcus seems i lumped ur comments n hards about mullin in together.  Bottom line mullins first few years reflected WoJos to call the teams no good this year because of tge ashes from the previous two or the coaches incompitent because of what they inherited woukd be wrong in both cases.

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #11266 on: November 02, 2017, 12:57:57 PM »
Wow, Sand-knit, aside from calling Marcus ignorant, if you continue with this reasonable and useful philosophical/analytical ben you're on, I may even have to un-ignore you.

Plz dont

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #11267 on: November 02, 2017, 01:06:22 PM »
Kind of a lot of ignorant statements in there.  All the things that you attribute to Mullin being a horrible could be attributed to any new coach that had a roster entirely blown up before arriving.  Sort of like Wojos first few teams, undertalented, inconsistant, young, etc.  All because Wojo was a bad coach?  SJU is another year older, sophs have become juniors and freshman have become sophs.  Additionally, they have two extremely talented transfers eligible this year, one from Arizona and the other from Michigan State.  Sort of like we are putting stock in Morrow.  Both were Top 40 national recruits, have 3 yrs of eligibility and received a ton of minutes as freshman for big time programs. Clark put up a double double n simon 7 assists in their exhibition.  Will be major contributirs.  Very similar programs in that Coming on from big rebuilds, you really cant have it both ways in discounting what SJU is doing and their coach n at the same time complimenting MU for the same thing.  Especially when a vastly younger team split with MU last year.

Don't necessarily disagree with your conclusion but you have some facts mixed up in the bolded.

Justin Simon was a top 40 recruit. Marvin Clark Jr. was ranked 150-200 by most services.

Simon has three years eligibility left, Clark Jr. only has two left.

Both Simon and Clark Jr were end of the bench players for big time programs. Clark Jr. was eleventh in minutes for Michigan State his last season there. Simon was the last man off the bench for Arizona and only started getting minutes when Elliott Pitts was lost to injury after the seventh game of the season. He only cracked double digit minutes 6 times (5 out of the 6 were 15+ point victories, 4 of the 5 were 24+ point victories, so mostly garbage time) and was cut from the rotation in February. In the last 11 games of the season, he made 4 appearances and played a total of 15 minutes.

Solid additions for St. John's but I don't see either as a top player in the Big East this season. I could see both potentially developing into top players by the time they are seniors.
TAMU

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #11268 on: November 02, 2017, 01:13:20 PM »
Clark 14 boards in exh.  Simon 7 assisuts.  Maybe they will amount to something by the time they r seniors? We shall see

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #11269 on: November 02, 2017, 01:17:29 PM »

Three starters.  You can toss our numbers out since they included three efficient starters.

We'll see what happens.

I agree that St. John's should be better. But I think you can easily argue Marquette will be better, as well — despite the loss of 3 seniors (and Duane Wilson).

MU returns 4 players who averaged 20+ minutes a game (Howard, Rowsey, Hauser, Cheatham), plus a center with starting experience (Heldt) — all of whom played in the NCAA tournament last season. Plus, a redshirt sophomore (Anim) with two years of experience with the program. Plus, a sophomore transfer (Froling) who's a former 4-star prospect and has drawn comparisons to NBA players Enes Kanter and Nikola Jokic. Plus, a potential stud rebounder and defender (John), at least if you've followed his progress during the offseason.

I'll take that core and the rest of the MU bench any day over St. John's roster. That's anything but an "ignorant statement." I'm fully aware of the facts — but simply interpret them differently. In general, I prefer to see some actual results on the court before anointing St. John's the better program.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #11270 on: November 02, 2017, 01:20:11 PM »
Clark 14 boards in exh.  Simon 7 assisuts.  Maybe they will amount to something by the time they r seniors? We shall see

That's not what I said. I said I don't see either as "top Big East players" this season. Think like top 25 players in the conference. I think both are solid additions and could become top Big East players by the time they are seniors.
TAMU

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #11271 on: November 02, 2017, 01:22:58 PM »
What's Ramey's new recruitment looking like?

Most recent thing I could find:

https://247sports.com/college/wichita-state/Article/1-On-1-With-Courtney-Ramey-109200987

It's an interview between VUSports (Nova site) and Ramey. Most interesting tidbit:

Right now a lot of schools have been constantly reaching out but the most have been: Ohio State, Purdue, Texas, Marquette, Villanova, Seton Hall, Missouri, Gonzaga, & Wichita State

I don't know what "consistently reaching out" means but as of two weeks ago, Ramey counted us in his list of schools pursuing him.
TAMU

oldwarrior81

• All American
« Reply #11272 on: November 02, 2017, 01:40:04 PM »

Not sure how much their loss will hurt the Johnnies, but I think Mussini, Ellison, Freudenberg and Sima no longer are on the team that started last season.  About 17 points a game are gone.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #11273 on: November 02, 2017, 02:10:32 PM »
We'll see what happens.

I agree that St. John's should be better. But I think you can easily argue Marquette will be better, as well — despite the loss of 3 seniors (and Duane Wilson).

MU returns 4 players who averaged 20+ minutes a game (Howard, Rowsey, Hauser, Cheatham), plus a center with starting experience (Heldt) — all of whom played in the NCAA tournament last season. Plus, a redshirt sophomore (Anim) with two years of experience with the program. Plus, a sophomore transfer (Froling) who's a former 4-star prospect and has drawn comparisons to NBA players Enes Kanter and Nikola Jokic. Plus, a potential stud rebounder and defender (John), at least if you've followed his progress during the offseason.

I'll take that core and the rest of the MU bench any day over St. John's roster. That's anything but an "ignorant statement." I'm fully aware of the facts — but simply interpret them differently. In general, I prefer to see some actual results on the court before anointing St. John's the better program.

I didn't say ignorant statement, I just think you're seeing things through Blue and Gold tinted glasses.  I'm very happy with our team, but I don't think you'll find many pundits that will be picking Marquette to finish higher than St. Johns.

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #11274 on: November 02, 2017, 02:37:14 PM »
If you remember, Georgetown was one of the trendy picks a year ago.

The Hoyas were coming off a less-than-successful 2015-16 season — finishing 7-11 in the Big East and 15-18 overall. But the pundits were all excited by the potential of transfers Rodney Pryor and Jonathan Mulmore. The coaches picked the Hoyas to finish fourth in the Big East.

We all know how that turned out. The team never gelled, limping along to a record of 14-18 (5-13) — followed by the dismissal of head coach John Thompson III.

It's not a perfect parallel, of course. St. John's is loaded with amazing athletes who play their guts out. Can a year's experience and a couple new players take them to the next level? Like I said before, we'll see. I'm skeptical. Wojo has already proven he can take disparate pieces and forge them into an NCAA team. Mullin hasn't.

feedback