[Today at 08:18:48 AM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[Today at 08:16:25 AM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[April 26, 2024, 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Recruiting as of 3/15/24  (Read 8458898 times)

wadesworld

• All American
Re: Recruiting as of 5/15
« Reply #1675 on: May 22, 2016, 10:12:42 PM »
No error.

The authority that determines who can run for federal office (the Constitution) imposes limits, so there's no reason that the authority that determines who plays in the NBA (the NBA rules) couldn't do the same.

You might disagree that it should do so, but I made no error in implying that it could.

The NBA does.  It says you need to be 19.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

martyconlonontherun

• All American
« Reply #1676 on: May 22, 2016, 10:31:56 PM »
Love Marquette basketball.  Henry should have stayed.  The NBA should not sign plAyers under 21.
Why? So college fans can watch great players play for free?

Would Kobe have gotten any better because he played college? Lebron? Is durant special because of his year at Texas? I think these guys all got better by playing in the pros at a younger age.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #1677 on: May 23, 2016, 03:12:13 AM »
No error.

The authority that determines who can run for federal office (the Constitution) imposes limits, so there's no reason that the authority that determines who plays in the NBA (the NBA rules) couldn't do the same.

You might disagree that it should do so, but I made no error in implying that it could.

Stated perfectly

Death on call

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #1678 on: May 23, 2016, 05:45:42 AM »
Ah now we're turning on Henry. He's never said or done anything to hurt Marquette, but now he's...confident?

Who knows...
great that he's confident...i never felt a player needed to tell everyone he was the best player on his TEAM.  wade was extremely confident...don't ever remember him bragging about being the best player on the team to a national audience after a game. 

it is what it is...i have no issues with the kid....just not one of my favorites. 

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #1679 on: May 23, 2016, 06:46:34 AM »
nm

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #1680 on: May 23, 2016, 07:24:42 AM »
So, we talking to ANYONE or is it all quiet out there right now?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #1681 on: May 23, 2016, 07:43:11 AM »
No error.

Actually the age limit in the NBA is in place due to the collective bargaining agreement with the players union.  IOW it is a mutual agreement.

mu-rara

• All American
« Reply #1682 on: May 23, 2016, 08:18:20 AM »
Henry did not cost us a single game last year.
MU would have sucked with out HE.

We were a very young team.  Thank God we had a lottery pick to help us.  I don't want to build our program on 1 and done.  Henry helped a young team look OK. 

We'll be better next year with all the experience the young guys received.

DoggyDaddy

• Team Captain
  • We're Warriors son, not Beagles.
« Reply #1683 on: May 23, 2016, 08:38:27 AM »
If Fish can stay healthy, Heldt provides solid minutes and overall team shooting improves with the arrival of the new guys, we'll be okay. Outside shots going in more often makes JJJ an even more effective weapon in close games; Duane, too. MU will be a tough opponent in BE play.
Will they make the dance?
That depends on many things but I think Fish must stay healthy all year, to get there.   

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1684 on: May 23, 2016, 09:36:49 AM »

Actually the age limit in the NBA is in place due to the collective bargaining agreement with the players union.  IOW it is a mutual agreement.

This.

No outside "authority" has any jurisdiction on NBA age limitations, despite how much others might wish that were the case.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MomofMUltiples

• All American
« Reply #1685 on: May 23, 2016, 10:19:47 AM »
off–season
noun  off–sea·son \ˈȯf-ˌsē-zən\

1. sports - A period of time when official games, tournaments, etc, are not being played

2. MUscoop - a period of time when scoopers revise recent history, wax rhapsodically about the good ol' days, endlessly debate "might've beens," trash coaches, recruiting and program standards, and make bold predicitions (frequently stated as facts) about how Marquette will do in the next season.  Grows increasingly negative the longer it goes on.

Shame on any of you for trashing Henry.  He's a kid who gave Marquette his best last year and has an opportunity to be one of a select few basketball players who will get to do what he loves and get paid for it at the highest levels of his craft.  He deserves to be confident and proud of his accomplishments.  And I have seen nothing in his interviews that say anything to me other than, this is a kid who was raised well, worked hard for where he is today and is excited about his future.  I enjoyed watching him play and will likely follow his career in the NBA, as I have Dwyane, Jimmy, Jae and all MU players who have been in and out of the league.  Lay off the kid already.

Now, weren't we talking about recruiting?
I mean, OK, maybe he's secretly a serial killer who's pulled the wool over our eyes with his good deeds and smooth jumper - Pakuni (on Markus Howard)

tower912

• All American
« Reply #1686 on: May 23, 2016, 10:41:30 AM »
Thanks, mom. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

DUNKS45

• All American
  • never too old
« Reply #1687 on: May 23, 2016, 10:58:03 AM »
Right on mom.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #1688 on: May 23, 2016, 11:12:19 AM »
off–season

1. sports - A period of time when official games, tournaments, etc, are not being played

2. MUscoop - a period of time when scoopers revise recent history, wax rhapsodically about the good ol' days, endlessly debate "might've beens," trash coaches, recruiting and program standards, and make bold predicitions (frequently stated as facts) about how Marquette will do in the next season.  Grows increasingly negative the longer it goes on.

Shame on any of you for trashing Henry.  He's a kid who gave Marquette his best last year and has an opportunity to be one of a select few basketball players who will get to do what he loves and get paid for it at the highest levels of his craft.  He deserves to be confident and proud of his accomplishments.  And I have seen nothing in his interviews that say anything to me other than, this is a kid who was raised well, worked hard for where he is today and is excited about his future.  I enjoyed watching him play and will likely follow his career in the NBA, as I have Dwyane, Jimmy, Jae and all MU players who have been in and out of the league.  Lay off the kid already.

I agree with everything you say except for the interviews. As a player, fantastic and those who said he cost us games are just silly but recent interviews are kind of iffy. I don't even care about the best player in wisconsin one because that was fact but ever since he declared it's like he's gotten big for his britches.

Side note, if you're 18, you should be able to declare for the draft. Get rid of this one year in college garbage. Let them go straight out of high school again.

Groin_pull

• All American
« Reply #1689 on: May 23, 2016, 11:12:59 AM »
off–season

Strange group here. They whine and moan about never getting a legit top-10 recruit at MU. Finally, after years and years, one signs with MU...he plays well enough to leave after one season...and he gets sh*t from this sad crew on his way to the NBA.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #1690 on: May 23, 2016, 12:29:41 PM »
Right on mom.

Agreed.

Hank who?  He helped us immensely.  Now that he's moved on, I want to talk about Marcus Howard.  He's going to be great for this team.  A real compliment to Hanni and Jcubed.

fjm

• All American
« Reply #1691 on: May 23, 2016, 12:33:43 PM »
Agreed.

Hank who?  He helped us immensely.  Now that he's moved on, I want to talk about Marcus Howard.  He's going to be great for this team.  A real compliment to Hanni and Jcubed.

I don't want this to happen, but imagine this scenario, 15 sec left, we are down 3.

We have Hanni, Howard, Rowsey, du Wilson, and Hauser to all put in to try and hit a 3 to tie. (And depending on how Cohen is feeling)

That's an exciting group to have, granted Wilson had a few iladvised 3's last year he was still quite decent from 3 and Hanni really came on strong from 3 last year.

MomofMUltiples

• All American
« Reply #1692 on: May 23, 2016, 02:51:47 PM »
I'd rather we were down two.  Then we could go inside to Luke or outside to any number of players, as you noted.
I mean, OK, maybe he's secretly a serial killer who's pulled the wool over our eyes with his good deeds and smooth jumper - Pakuni (on Markus Howard)

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1693 on: May 23, 2016, 03:19:10 PM »
I'd rather we were up 26 ... but he said to imagine we were down 3.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

HoopsterBC

• All American
« Reply #1694 on: May 23, 2016, 03:19:25 PM »
Luke will probably be out by then with 5 fouls, hope Matt can score.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #1695 on: May 23, 2016, 03:28:49 PM »
gotta love scoop, a 68 page thread that's barely a week old

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #1696 on: May 23, 2016, 03:31:16 PM »
gotta love scoop, a 68 page thread that's barely a week old

It's actually almost ten months old, the title just gets updated.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #1697 on: May 23, 2016, 04:09:26 PM »
Luke will probably be out by then with 5 fouls, hope Matt can score.
Matt does not need to score. We have three double digit scorers returning, which is a lot. Most teams have only one, two is common and there might be half of dozen teams in the country having 3 returning double digit scorers. JJJ was also close to averaging double digits. Reinhardt averaged double digits the last two years and Rowsey averaged almost 20 points a game.

HoopsterBC

• All American
« Reply #1698 on: May 23, 2016, 04:18:02 PM »
Matt does not need to score. We have three double digit scorers returning, which is a lot. Most teams have only one, two is common and there might be half of dozen teams in the country having 3 returning double digit scorers. JJJ was also close to averaging double digits. Reinhardt averaged double digits the last two years and Rowsey averaged almost 20 points a game.

I agree that if down by 2, take out all the bigs and play your best 5 shooters, even if Luke is in there, I would like to go thru Luke and let him find an open man.  I was more impressed today with Howards dunk, looks like he has some hops.  Gets up more than Butch did.  The team should definitely be better shooters than last here, and
the court was always off kilter when Henry shot a three, no rebounding at all.  At Henry might have made 1 out of every 4.  This year hoping for 2 out of 4, and that is
not out of the question.

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #1699 on: May 23, 2016, 04:55:51 PM »
I predict (and it's not a very bold prediction) that we'll be in a similar late-game situation more than once.

Last season, we had 7 games decided by 3 or fewer points — including losses to Belmont (83-80), DePaul (57-56) and Creighton (65-62), and wins over LSU (81-80), Wisconsin (57-55), Providence (65-64) and Georgetown (88-87).

By contrast, the only teams we beat by 26 or more were Grambling State (95-49) and Maine (104-67).
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

feedback