[Today at 10:40:35 AM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Galway Eagle
[Today at 10:35:41 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by PGsHeroes32
[Today at 10:14:22 AM]

Katz has MU in Final Four by Scoop Snoop
[Today at 09:51:44 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Recruiting as of 3/15/24  (Read 8337018 times)

Pakuni

• All American
Re: Recruiting as of 3/15/23
« Reply #33900 on: March 22, 2023, 10:12:53 AM »
I was probably hyperbolic saying 70%. Communications and Arts and Sciences technically offer more "majors" than Engineering, Nursing, and Business Administration. (I am aware that BA majors are not restricted and some are)

It differs by coach and by school.

The main point is, in the famous words of Cardale Jones "We ain't come to play school".

Hyperbolic is not a synonym for wrong.
I learned that in the College of Communications.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #33901 on: March 22, 2023, 10:15:33 AM »
The current EVP and COO of Marquette (Pogo) was an Accounting major and MUBB hooper.

jfp61

• All American
« Reply #33902 on: March 22, 2023, 10:19:15 AM »
Hyperbolic is not a synonym for wrong.
I learned that in the College of Communications.

hyperbolic: of, relating to, or marked by language that exaggerates or overstates the truth

To quote Will Hunting- "You dropped a 150k on an education you coulda' got for a dollar fifty in late charges at the public library. "

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #33903 on: March 22, 2023, 10:46:29 AM »
hyperbolic: of, relating to, or marked by language that exaggerates or overstates the truth

To quote Will Hunting- "You dropped a 150k on an education you coulda' got for a dollar fifty in late charges at the public library. "
Or completely wrong. There's not one major that an MU Basketball has to avoid. If the SA wants to major in that area, MUBB and MU will find a way. It's a part of the recruiting pitch as well.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #33904 on: March 22, 2023, 10:48:27 AM »
No but they'll stop recruiting comp science majors early.

This even happens for many D1 non earning sports like women's soccer, basketball, and lacrosse. The coaches of those teams often exclude them from becoming nurses.

It happens all the time.

I coached a decent number of kids who went on to play D1 men's volleyball in college (so not exactly a revenue generating sport) and they handled it VERY differently from the way you're describing it.  Two went to Stanford where one was an Academic All American (and volleyball All American) mechanical engineering major, the other was a finance major.  Three went to Loyola Chicago where at least two were accounting majors (not sure on the third).  Two went to Ohio State, one majored in actuarial science and the other was on the team for 5 years, where he ended up getting his MBA at.  One went to Lewis and majored in physics.  One went to UC Irvine and double majored in finance and accounting.  And a couple went to a very small school in South Carolina where one studied business and the other studied communications.

Most of the people I know of (both on the men's and women's side of volleyball) used their athletic abilities to get educational opportunities they might not have been able to otherwise get.  One of the kids who ended up choosing Loyola Chicago was down to there and NYU, which was able to make an admissions exception on X amount of players on their roster and had offered him one of those spots.  One of the kids that went to Stanford would have otherwise had no shot at being accepted into Stanford had he not been a student athlete they were recruiting (he met their listed minimum requirements, but would not have been a realistic acceptance if he was a "standard" application).

Ali Barber was an All American on Marquette's women's volleyball team a few years ago and was pre-med and was in the 99th percentile on her MCAT.

It's almost as if some people are better students and end up taking more difficult studies, while other people have a harder time in school and end up in what are considered easier majors.  Hence why you have guys who were known as really good students coming out of high school in Stevie and Oso in finance.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2023, 10:52:31 AM by wadesworld »
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #33905 on: March 22, 2023, 10:49:28 AM »

I love it! Don't back down. This is a hill you should die on. Fight On!

GoFastAndWin

• Team Captain
« Reply #33906 on: March 22, 2023, 10:59:15 AM »
Or you guys could go out for some caramels. It’s just as arbitrary as coffee or discussing athletes’ choice of a major.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2023, 11:02:12 AM by GoFastAndWin »

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #33907 on: March 22, 2023, 11:03:54 AM »
Or you guys could go out for some caramels. It’s just as arbitrary as coffee or discussing athletes’ choice of a major.

If I had a caramel place as good and as close as the coffee place a few blocks away, that'd be dangerous.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #33908 on: March 22, 2023, 11:15:02 AM »
Marquette already reached out to Tyler Nickel of UNC.

Puff Johnson now in the portal as well. He's 6'8" and left handed. Seems like another Shaka target.
VIOLENCE!

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #33909 on: March 22, 2023, 11:35:11 AM »
No but they'll stop recruiting comp science majors early.

This even happens for many D1 non earning sports like women's soccer, basketball, and lacrosse. The coaches of those teams often exclude them from becoming nurses.

It happens all the time.

I went to a school with D-1 football and basketball and hockey, as well as a host of non-rev sports like field hockey, soccer, volleyball, etc...  I was a finance and psychology double major.  In my finance/business coursework, I had countless athletes from all sorts of sports.  I had a football player, a star VB player, and a basketball player from both the mens and womens team who were in my abnormal psych specialization and in at least 1 class with me per semester.  I had a good friend there who was a 4 star FB recruit and had a cup of coffee in the NFL (so not an also-ran) who came in as a marketing major and then switched to economics his sophomore year.  My roommate for 2 years was pre-med/chemistry and he had hockey and football players in his classes.

Are there "easier" course tracks and majors for athletes who have little interest in school or academics?  Of course.  But no school is precluding athletes from majors that they personally have interests or aspirations in.

It's almost as if some people are better students and end up taking more difficult studies, while other people have a harder time in school and end up in what are considered easier majors.  Hence why you have guys who were known as really good students coming out of high school in Stevie and Oso in finance.

Just like...every other student.  Non-athletes go from tougher majors to easier majors all the time.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #33910 on: March 22, 2023, 11:44:46 AM »
Just like...every other student.  Non-athletes go from tougher majors to easier majors all the time.

Exactly.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #33911 on: March 22, 2023, 11:54:30 AM »
Are there "easier" course tracks and majors for athletes who have little interest in school or academics?  Of course.  But no school is precluding athletes from majors that they personally have interests or aspirations in.

Respectfully, this is not true. I obviously cannot speak for every school -- or even Marquette for that matter -- but there absolutely are schools that preclude athletes from some majors. Having had my daughter (and her teammates) go through the recruiting process, I have seen it. It might not be the norm, but it does happen.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #33912 on: March 22, 2023, 12:47:52 PM »

Bet ya know lotsa dentists, hey?
The only dentists I speak with are through plexiglass during visiting hours.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #33913 on: March 22, 2023, 12:49:25 PM »
My sympathies to you, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #33914 on: March 22, 2023, 01:01:07 PM »
The only dentists I speak with are through plexiglass during visiting hours.
Do they visit you often?

GoFastAndWin

• Team Captain
« Reply #33915 on: March 22, 2023, 01:21:47 PM »
Do they visit you often?

You got me down here. May as well talk about somethin. Ain’t no cable in this damn place.
-Clive Driscoll

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #33916 on: March 22, 2023, 02:48:43 PM »
Respectfully, this is not true. I obviously cannot speak for every school -- or even Marquette for that matter -- but there absolutely are schools that preclude athletes from some majors. Having had my daughter (and her teammates) go through the recruiting process, I have seen it. It might not be the norm, but it does happen.

Yup...know this as a fact as well...just flat out told that a certain major would not be possible given the travel in their schedule and the requirements of the major.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #33917 on: March 22, 2023, 02:52:02 PM »
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

jfp61

• All American
« Reply #33918 on: March 22, 2023, 03:24:42 PM »
I went to a school with D-1 football and basketball and hockey, as well as a host of non-rev sports like field hockey, soccer, volleyball, etc...  I was a finance and psychology double major.  In my finance/business coursework, I had countless athletes from all sorts of sports.  I had a football player, a star VB player, and a basketball player from both the mens and womens team who were in my abnormal psych specialization and in at least 1 class with me per semester.  I had a good friend there who was a 4 star FB recruit and had a cup of coffee in the NFL (so not an also-ran) who came in as a marketing major and then switched to economics his sophomore year.  My roommate for 2 years was pre-med/chemistry and he had hockey and football players in his classes.

That's just not true.

If you want to say the University itself does not do this, that might be technically true. But it is an unwriting requirement from D1 coaches and  athletic department staffers. They push students in directions with the overwhelming leverage they have. Occasionally, in bigger squad sports, like football, they won't do anything the first year and then try their best to rescind scholarships in subsequent years. They'll force the students to choose between their major and a sport.

They want people in specific majors so they can have a flexible, team first schedule.

Having been involved in some recruiting processes and having worked in a compliance office before, I know what i am talking about

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #33919 on: March 22, 2023, 03:43:25 PM »
That's just not true.

If you want to say the University itself does not do this, that might be technically true. But it is an unwriting requirement from D1 coaches and  athletic department staffers. They push students in directions with the overwhelming leverage they have. Occasionally, in bigger squad sports, like football, they won't do anything the first year and then try their best to rescind scholarships in subsequent years. They'll force the students to choose between their major and a sport.

They want people in specific majors so they can have a flexible, team first schedule.

Having been involved in some recruiting processes and having worked in a compliance office before, I know what i am talking about
While I'm sure you describing what is happening mostly in the real world, I know an engineer who was a starter for a Rose Bowl Wisconsin team (even started grad school in his 5th year). I remember one or two pre-med players for tOSU. The football factories have some exceptions.

jfp61

• All American
« Reply #33920 on: March 22, 2023, 03:44:35 PM »
I coached a decent number of kids who went on to play D1 men's volleyball in college (so not exactly a revenue generating sport) and they handled it VERY differently from the way you're describing it.  Two went to Stanford where one was an Academic All American (and volleyball All American) mechanical engineering major, the other was a finance major.  Three went to Loyola Chicago where at least two were accounting majors (not sure on the third).  Two went to Ohio State, one majored in actuarial science and the other was on the team for 5 years, where he ended up getting his MBA at.  One went to Lewis and majored in physics.  One went to UC Irvine and double majored in finance and accounting.  And a couple went to a very small school in South Carolina where one studied business and the other studied communications.

Most of the people I know of (both on the men's and women's side of volleyball) used their athletic abilities to get educational opportunities they might not have been able to otherwise get.  One of the kids who ended up choosing Loyola Chicago was down to there and NYU, which was able to make an admissions exception on X amount of players on their roster and had offered him one of those spots.  One of the kids that went to Stanford would have otherwise had no shot at being accepted into Stanford had he not been a student athlete they were recruiting (he met their listed minimum requirements, but would not have been a realistic acceptance if he was a "standard" application).

Ali Barber was an All American on Marquette's women's volleyball team a few years ago and was pre-med and was in the 99th percentile on her MCAT.

This is true.

What I would add is that at any point in time a new Head Coach or a new directive from the current HC could have put those Student Athletes in a predicament where they would have to choose between their major and their sport and sometimes their scholarships.

Now, I am not saying this happens all the time because most coaches are human beings with hearts that genuinely want the best for their athletes, but it can and does happen. 

From experience most coaches or departments with specific team directive are honest about it in the recruiting process.

Student athletes get told that specific majors aren't available for them all of the time.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #33921 on: March 22, 2023, 03:54:18 PM »
That's just not true.

I know for a fact Marquette does not preclude SAs from picking certain majors

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #33922 on: March 22, 2023, 08:47:57 PM »
Have we offered Janowski?

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #33923 on: March 22, 2023, 09:01:23 PM »

We did a long time ago……not sure if we are still actively recruiting him though. Seems like Shaka has other priorities.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #33924 on: March 22, 2023, 09:37:53 PM »

We did a long time ago……not sure if we are still actively recruiting him though. Seems like Shaka has other priorities.

Guys, this thread is to discuss what majors our players can take. Take the recruiting discussion elsewhere.

feedback