[Today at 04:00:16 PM]

Dallas bars tonite by Dr. Blackheart
[Today at 03:40:45 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by NickelDimer
[Today at 03:31:19 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by The Sultan of Semantics
[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Recruiting as of 3/15/24  (Read 8337921 times)

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
Re: Recruiting as of 5/15/19
« Reply #17550 on: May 17, 2019, 02:56:22 PM »
Who says I ever played well?!?!

So, it was “No Nads”, hey?

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #17551 on: May 17, 2019, 03:09:19 PM »
BCHoopster

I think it comes down to defining a big time recruiting class. IMO, it is top ten nationally ranked class. Our talent level needs big upgrade and signing three top 100 kids is nice, but far from what I believe the program needs.

Goose,  MU is not a Top 10 school for basketball, maybe Top 30 if that.  So to get 2 Top 100 kids or maybe 3 would be a great recruiting year.  Can Wojo do it, not sure.
Wojo is not Al McGuire either, good guy but not a great personality like Al.  I do not see MU ever being in the Top 10 for recruiting, the 2019-2020 class had a chance if
they had gotten Jalen Johnson but that is out of the window now.   MU has a lot to sell right now, not sure Wojo is the man, hope I am wrong.  Even Al barely ever had a Top 10 class, he just got a Top 10 kid or two every year.  Always small recruiting classes, only played 7 kids every year.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #17552 on: May 17, 2019, 04:10:41 PM »
Goose,  MU is not a Top 10 school for basketball, maybe Top 30 if that.  So to get 2 Top 100 kids or maybe 3 would be a great recruiting year.  Can Wojo do it, not sure.
Wojo is not Al McGuire either, good guy but not a great personality like Al.  I do not see MU ever being in the Top 10 for recruiting, the 2019-2020 class had a chance if
they had gotten Jalen Johnson but that is out of the window now.   MU has a lot to sell right now, not sure Wojo is the man, hope I am wrong.  Even Al barely ever had a Top 10 class, he just got a Top 10 kid or two every year.  Always small recruiting classes, only played 7 kids every year.
MU needs to avoid having misses on recruiting.  I define a miss as a player who is not a Big East starter or viable reserve. Consistently recruiting solid players allows the team to be led by Seniors and Juniors which is a good formula for success. Then when MU does recruit a very talented player  the team will have some traction in terms of the tournament rankings etc. I think that is the formula for most programs that are not populated with one and dones.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #17553 on: May 17, 2019, 05:13:32 PM »
MU needs to avoid having misses on recruiting.  I define a miss as a player who is not a Big East starter or viable reserve. Consistently recruiting solid players allows the team to be led by Seniors and Juniors which is a good formula for success. Then when MU does recruit a very talented player  the team will have some traction in terms of the tournament rankings etc. I think that is the formula for most programs that are not populated with one and dones.
Seems reasonable. However, a player can be starting because nobody on the team is better. That player can still be a miss. Matt Heldt would be an example of this. He went from being a  starter to third string.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #17554 on: May 17, 2019, 05:28:30 PM »
Seems reasonable. However, a player can be starting because nobody on the team is better. That player can still be a miss. Matt Heldt would be an example of this. He went from being a  starter to third string.

I don't think Heldt was a miss. He was a viable reserve. Good enough to contribute off the bench when needed. You need guys like that. On an 11-13 man roster, not everyone will play. Having guys who accept roles at the end of the bench & are able to deliver when called upon is important to overall success.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #17555 on: May 17, 2019, 05:47:33 PM »
I don't think Heldt was a miss. He was a viable reserve. Good enough to contribute off the bench when needed. You need guys like that. On an 11-13 man roster, not everyone will play. Having guys who accept roles at the end of the bench & are able to deliver when called upon is important to overall success.

Yep......Mbao was a miss.......Ferguson was a miss.......for UW Evan Anderson was a miss.....

Obviously Heldt wasn't a difference maker but he contributed to some decent teams......I'd take him,over guys that were more talented but bailed after 1 season......or 1/2 a season.....

Very unlikely that in a 5 person class everybody is going to be good enough to start.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #17556 on: May 17, 2019, 06:20:47 PM »
Yep......Mbao was a miss.......Ferguson was a miss.......for UW Evan Anderson was a miss.....

Obviously Heldt wasn't a difference maker but he contributed to some decent teams......I'd take him,over guys that were more talented but bailed after 1 season......or 1/2 a season.....

Very unlikely that in a 5 person class everybody is going to be good enough to start.

Tell that to Penny Hardaway...unbelieveable that he can pull that kind of talent into Memphis...yes, I'm jealous, I would LOVE for MU to pull a class like that.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #17557 on: May 17, 2019, 06:23:59 PM »
It could happen if DWade wanted to be a head coach!

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #17558 on: May 17, 2019, 06:25:49 PM »
Yep.  Matt was a real team guy and contributed when needed.  That’s called depth.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #17559 on: May 17, 2019, 06:44:51 PM »
Yep.  Matt was a real team guy and contributed when needed.  That’s called depth.

Heldt slander won’t stand.  4-year kid that busted his ass off and did all you said.  Need kids like him
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #17560 on: May 17, 2019, 06:45:27 PM »
Tell that to Penny Hardaway...unbelieveable that he can pull that kind of talent into Memphis...yes, I'm jealous, I would LOVE for MU to pull a class like that.

Me, too.  We need some bagmen
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

MU82

• All American
« Reply #17561 on: May 17, 2019, 08:05:52 PM »
So, it was “No Nads”, hey?

Yep, I'm one of the Unsullied.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MU82

• All American
« Reply #17562 on: May 17, 2019, 08:08:16 PM »

Calipari pulled big talent into Memphis, too, as did Dana Kirk way back when.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #17563 on: May 17, 2019, 08:14:35 PM »
Here is the NCAA Division 1 Recruiting calendar.

https://ncaaorg.s3.amazonaws.com/eligibility/recruiting/calendars/2018-19DIMBB_RecruitingCalendar.pdf

There currently is a dead period that last through May 24. No in-person recruiting
contacts or evaluations,and official and unofficial visits by recruits to the college’s campus are
not permitted.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #17564 on: May 17, 2019, 09:35:00 PM »
I agree with you and , he was a poor example used by me.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #17565 on: May 17, 2019, 09:58:16 PM »

Once again proving you need a different team to follow.  If you think how Memphis operates their program and recruits is how MU is going to operate, you are in for a rough disappointment.  That is a program that cannot go a decade without a ncaa investigation and has been caught with hand in th cookie jar again and again.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Shooter McGavin

• All American
Re: Recruiting as of 4/15/19
« Reply #17566 on: May 17, 2019, 11:25:05 PM »
I don't want to get into it with any of them, or with you -- or with chicos, who made a bold accusation and then couldn't back it up with evidence.

I don't know that Doc wants Marquette/Wojo to fail; indeed, he is a big MU fan, so I'll take him at his word that he hopes we succeed.

However, it doesn't take a Rhodes Scholar to notice that as soon as it looks like Wojo might not land one of the highly rated recruits he (and many other P5 coaches, including bluebloods) is pursuing, Doc is quick on the board with a snarky comment mocking our coaching staff for the miss.

That's why I said he almost seemed to be taking joy from it. I don't remember him being anywhere near as joyful when we landed Joey or Markus or Symir, but I fully allow that I could be misremembering.

Sorry 82,  my text was in jest.  Should have put in teal.  I think you are one of the most reasonable persons on this board and the fact that you skew toward optimism makes you more readable than others.

D'Lo Brown

• All American
Re: Recruiting as of 4/15/19
« Reply #17567 on: May 18, 2019, 06:13:35 AM »
I don't want to get into it with any of them, or with you -- or with chicos, who made a bold accusation and then couldn't back it up with evidence.

I don't know that Doc wants Marquette/Wojo to fail; indeed, he is a big MU fan, so I'll take him at his word that he hopes we succeed.

However, it doesn't take a Rhodes Scholar to notice that as soon as it looks like Wojo might not land one of the highly rated recruits he (and many other P5 coaches, including bluebloods) is pursuing, Doc is quick on the board with a snarky comment mocking our coaching staff for the miss.

That's why I said he almost seemed to be taking joy from it. I don't remember him being anywhere near as joyful when we landed Joey or Markus or Symir, but I fully allow that I could be misremembering.

Sorry 82,  my text was in jest.  Should have put in teal.  I think you are one of the most reasonable persons on this board and the fact that you skew toward optimism makes you more readable than others.

Put him on ignore then.

Anyway, recruiting?

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #17568 on: May 18, 2019, 08:55:30 AM »
THE TERROR.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #17569 on: May 18, 2019, 10:54:29 AM »
Once again proving you need a different team to follow.  If you think how Memphis operates their program and recruits is how MU is going to operate, you are in for a rough disappointment.  That is a program that cannot go a decade without a ncaa investigation and has been caught with hand in th cookie jar again and again.

Please don't tell me what I need to do..Never once did I say(but thanks for implying) that I want them to use the same recruiting tactics as Memphis(and you do not know if Penny is dirty), I simply said I would LOVE to land a class that highly rated at MU(and do it legitimately).

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #17570 on: May 18, 2019, 11:03:47 AM »
Please don't tell me what I need to do..Never once did I say(but thanks for implying) that I want them to use the same recruiting tactics as Memphis(and you do not know if Penny is dirty), I simply said I would LOVE to land a class that highly rated at MU(and do it legitimately).

You don’t land a top 2 class in the country by doing it “legitimately.”
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

muguru

• All American
« Reply #17571 on: May 18, 2019, 01:02:38 PM »
You don’t land a top 2 class in the country by doing it “legitimately.”

Duke does it all the time, Kentucky does it, etc. Now say what you want about them being dirty...I mean why doesn't MU start playing that game, it's obvious as we have seen from the bribery case and Sean Miller, that the NCAA isn't going to do anything about it.

Heck, look at the class TC has landed at Georgia...I'd gladly take that class, and I'm certain he has done it legitimately.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #17572 on: May 18, 2019, 01:07:32 PM »

Let's see what Penny can do with the talent. Mullin recruited fine at SJU, but was an awful coach....

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #17573 on: May 18, 2019, 01:10:20 PM »
Duke does it all the time, Kentucky does it, etc. Now say what you want about them being dirty...I mean why doesn't MU start playing that game, it's obvious as we have seen from the bribery case and Sean Miller, that the NCAA isn't going to do anything about it.

Heck, look at the class TC has landed at Georgia...I'd gladly take that class, and I'm certain he has done it legitimately.

Duke and Kentucky are not doing it legitimately.  They may be able to say plausible deniability but they are not doing it legitimately. 

If you want Marquette to cheat if necessary and winning matters at all costs, say so.  I’m a fan, not an alum, what they do or how they do it matters little to me. 

I know the world we live in today, winning trumps integrity.  What’s the final cost?  Banners is a closet is about it.  It’s up to the individual institutions to decide if they care how they win and alumni have a lot of say in that

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #17574 on: May 18, 2019, 01:27:59 PM »

Nope, instead you said how jealous or envious you were, cannot remember which....from a school that has had more than their share of NCAA investigations and probations

Dana Kirk - NCAA probation
John Calipari - NCAA probation

And of course squeaky clean Josh Pastner.....

Five of their Sweet 16's vacated by the NCAA.

Through 2015, Memphis is tied for 5th all time with the most NCAA major infractions....tied with Wisconsin and others.  Maybe Penny is clean or maybe he isn't.  Due to their history, I have a hard time giving them the benefit of the doubt.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2019, 01:34:45 PM by Cheeks »
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

feedback