[Today at 06:18:19 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by the eagle
[Today at 06:05:16 PM]

Sweet 16 presser by MuMark
[Today at 04:40:13 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by The Sultan of Semantics
[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Recruiting as of 3/15/24  (Read 8338264 times)

MU82

• All American
Re: Recruiting as of 4/15/19
« Reply #17525 on: May 16, 2019, 08:35:29 PM »
Nope, just don't have the confidence that Wojo has the chops to get it done.

And that is your right, no matter how gleefully you say it.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #17526 on: May 16, 2019, 09:21:50 PM »
Jalen Wilson is an Adidas kid.He will end up at Kansas.

Is the suitcase still full?

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #17527 on: May 16, 2019, 10:12:27 PM »
Hold on a minute 82.  Goose, 4ever, Jon and Lenny have stated outright they are not rooting for MU and by extension Wojo to fail as Cheeks claimed.  They would never be gleeful with any failure.  They would never be passive aggressive about that.  You are out of line 82.  How dare you!

MU82

• All American
« Reply #17528 on: May 17, 2019, 05:24:55 AM »
Hold on a minute 82.  Goose, 4ever, Jon and Lenny have stated outright they are not rooting for MU and by extension Wojo to fail as Cheeks claimed.  They would never be gleeful with any failure.  They would never be passive aggressive about that.  You are out of line 82.  How dare you!

I don't want to get into it with any of them, or with you -- or with chicos, who made a bold accusation and then couldn't back it up with evidence.

I don't know that Doc wants Marquette/Wojo to fail; indeed, he is a big MU fan, so I'll take him at his word that he hopes we succeed.

However, it doesn't take a Rhodes Scholar to notice that as soon as it looks like Wojo might not land one of the highly rated recruits he (and many other P5 coaches, including bluebloods) is pursuing, Doc is quick on the board with a snarky comment mocking our coaching staff for the miss.

That's why I said he almost seemed to be taking joy from it. I don't remember him being anywhere near as joyful when we landed Joey or Markus or Symir, but I fully allow that I could be misremembering.

MUMonster03

• All American
« Reply #17529 on: May 17, 2019, 05:51:40 AM »
MU not mentioned...

Wilson did inform 247Sports that he intends to look at Kansas, North Carolina, Oklahoma State and Florida, along with considering Michigan going forward.

https://247sports.com/college/basketball/recruiting/Article/Four-star-top-50-Michigan-signee-Jalen-Wilson-requests-a-release-from-his-National-Letter-of-Intent-132087598/

Kinda surprised we are not mentioned. We were in his final 6 and now have playing time up for grabs for next year. Seems like there would still be interest since he could play the 3 if we went big and slide to the 4 if we decided to use a small ball lineup.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #17530 on: May 17, 2019, 07:08:12 AM »
I don't want to get into it with any of them, or with you -- or with chicos, who made a bold accusation and then couldn't back it up with evidence.

I don't know that Doc wants Marquette/Wojo to fail; indeed, he is a big MU fan, so I'll take him at his word that he hopes we succeed.

However, it doesn't take a Rhodes Scholar to notice that as soon as it looks like Wojo might not land one of the highly rated recruits he (and many other P5 coaches, including bluebloods) is pursuing, Doc is quick on the board with a snarky comment mocking our coaching staff for the miss.

That's why I said he almost seemed to be taking joy from it. I don't remember him being anywhere near as joyful when we landed Joey or Markus or Symir, but I fully allow that I could be misremembering.

My "snarky" comments are more directed to our numerous posters literally get wood for any and all available basketball players. People get excited about some "name" they know nothing about, other than what's written on the internet. Talent evaluation and recruitment is difficult. You will lose more than you win. And, sometimes you actually lose when you are successful in the recruitment of an athlete. I will put my "fandom" up against any other poster on this board. As Al would say, I've "stood the test of time." Wojo's failure in the entire Hauser fiasco, regardless of who is to blame, will have detrimental consequences on his ability to recruit, particularly in Wisconsin. I also question his evaluation of talent and how it relates to whatever style of offense and defense he wants to play. In short, after 5 years, I question his ability to get the job done.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

jsglow

• All American
Re: Recruiting as of 5/15/19
« Reply #17531 on: May 17, 2019, 09:31:02 AM »
Reading the various stories, I decided to put Bridges in as a '19.

Skip Intro

• Team Captain
« Reply #17532 on: May 17, 2019, 09:47:05 AM »

And you can cross off Ethan Morton from the 20-21 list.  He verballed to Purdue last week.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #17533 on: May 17, 2019, 10:10:05 AM »

I do not read that into his posts at all. My take is he wants Wojo and the program to succeed. After 5 seasons Doc feels Wojo is not the right guy. He has seen enough MU hoops over the years and watched many coaches. He is not operating in a vacuum. Why some folks get offended by that is beyond me. Also, I am not saying you are offended personally.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #17534 on: May 17, 2019, 10:33:54 AM »
I agree with 97% of what 4ever posted. One difference, I am not convinced that he cannot recruit at high level and still hold out hope. I have to admit that 82 would even acknowledge the idiotic post from Shooter McGavin. Of all people, 82 should know that the folks Shooter listed are not guys pulling for MU/Wojo to fail. The fact that we all believe Wojo is in over his head is nothing more than that.

4ever is 100% accurate in regards to the nonsense on here regarding recruiting. There are more high school basketball experts/talent scouts than in in entire D1 coaching ranks. Recruiting has always been hard and now more so than ever. My gripe has been every believing that 2020 is a slam dunk A+ class for Wojo. I have no idea why folks believe that it will be that easy.

Can only speak for myself, but I would be happiest guy in the world if Wojo had a knockout recruiting class. That said, my confidence on that happening is lower than most on here.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #17535 on: May 17, 2019, 10:40:33 AM »
Goose, I must admit I am in your school as well about Wojo.  But he only needs 1 player more in the top 100 as he has one already.  Getting 2 in my mind is being
successful, any more it would be really a great year.  I think he will.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #17536 on: May 17, 2019, 10:49:53 AM »
BCHoopster

I think it comes down to defining a big time recruiting class. IMO, it is top ten nationally ranked class. Our talent level needs big upgrade and signing three top 100 kids is nice, but far from what I believe the program needs.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #17537 on: May 17, 2019, 10:54:44 AM »
Getting three top 100s sounds nice but the three times in my fandom it's happened they were

Sam, Markus, Bailey: Sams our, Markus is amazing at scoring and Bailey only arrived last year.

JJJ, Duane, Burton: never remotely lived up to the hype

Junior, Maymon, Williams: How was this three top 100 players? (Still loved Junior but top 100?)
Maigh Eo for Sam

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #17538 on: May 17, 2019, 11:00:04 AM »
My gripe has been every believing that 2020 is a slam dunk A+ class for Wojo. I have no idea why folks believe that it will be that easy.

And this is why I was careful about my language when you said Dawson was a lock earlier. You keep saying that "people believe that 2020 is a slam dunk A+ class for Wojo." I can't remember anyone ever saying that but you've insisted repeatedly that it is the case. I have seen people hope for an A+ 2020 class, I have seen people talk about their dream 2020 class, I've seen people talk about Wojo needing an A+ 2020 class....I have yet to see someone say it would be easy, a slam dunk, or a lock for Wojo.

Personally, I think it is off to a great start with the Symir commitment. I like the players Wojo and co are pursuing, I have no idea if they will land them or not. I would like to see us land two more quality players before the early signing period before I will start to be confident with the 2020 class. And even if they do land a highly ranked class, what matters is how they perform on the court, so we won't know if they were successful until the 20-21 season.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #17539 on: May 17, 2019, 11:04:53 AM »
BCHoopster

I think it comes down to defining a big time recruiting class. IMO, it is top ten nationally ranked class. Our talent level needs big upgrade and signing three top 100 kids is nice, but far from what I believe the program needs.

That's fine if that's your standard. Just know that Marquette has had 0 consensus top 10 recruiting class since 2000 (actually longer than 2000 but I don't have data going back farther). ESPN gave them a top 10 ranking once (under Wojo). 247 gave them a top 10 ranking once (under Buzz). Rivals has never given them a top 10 ranking. So your standard is something that Crean and Buzz were never able to achieve and Wojo has yet to achieve.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #17540 on: May 17, 2019, 11:30:50 AM »
TAMU

I have always felt that was the standard to be considered a great recruiting class. In addition, I admit I bought into the hype on here and placed my own expectations for the 2020 class. As I have said many times, I believe the program needs a big uptick in talent or a very, very big uptick in coaching. A top thirty recruiting class is simply not enough at this point.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #17541 on: May 17, 2019, 11:46:02 AM »
My "snarky" comments are more directed to our numerous posters literally get wood for any and all available basketball players. People get excited about some "name" they know nothing about, other than what's written on the internet.

How dare fans discuss recruits on a fan message bird thread directly dedicated to recruiting. The audacity!
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #17542 on: May 17, 2019, 12:04:24 PM »
Jalen Bridges last week said he is going to go to prep school and be a 20. Here is the interview:

http://wvmetronews.com/2019/05/10/fairmont-senior-jalen-bridges-explains-prep-school-decision/

Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #17543 on: May 17, 2019, 12:08:03 PM »
How dare fans discuss recruits on a fan message bird thread directly dedicated to recruiting. The audacity!
What does a message bird look like?

source?

• All American

MU82

• All American
« Reply #17545 on: May 17, 2019, 12:14:40 PM »

My "snarky" comments are more directed to our numerous posters literally get wood for any and all available basketball players. People get excited about some "name" they know nothing about, other than what's written on the internet. Talent evaluation and recruitment is difficult. You will lose more than you win. And, sometimes you actually lose when you are successful in the recruitment of an athlete. I will put my "fandom" up against any other poster on this board. As Al would say, I've "stood the test of time." Wojo's failure in the entire Hauser fiasco, regardless of who is to blame, will have detrimental consequences on his ability to recruit, particularly in Wisconsin. I also question his evaluation of talent and how it relates to whatever style of offense and defense he wants to play. In short, after 5 years, I question his ability to get the job done.

Thanks for the thoughtful response. A pleasure to read.

We disagree somewhat on Wojo, but not as much as you might think. I say he still has a ton to prove, and that's a little disarming given that he is entering Year 6. I have assigned him significant blame in Hausergeddon, and I also have worried that it will irreparably damage his ability to recruit. Unlike you, I think he has recruited well to date -- not knock-it-out-of-the-park great, but as well as or better than his predecessors did most years.

Each of us has different ways to deal with what has transpired so far and what we believe the direction of the program will be. Maybe I misread you seemingly enjoying Wojo's inability to land every recruit -- I interpreted it as you saying "I told you Wojo sucks" in your inimitable way every time a recruit decided to go elsewhere. If that's wrong, well, I never like to misrepresent anybody's thoughts.

I certainly don't think you are less of a fan than I am or any other Scooper is. Indeed, I specifically said I didn't doubt you're a big MU hoops fan. Why would I? We're all hoping to have a great team to root for. We are Marquette!

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #17546 on: May 17, 2019, 12:34:00 PM »
Wee good, Nads, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

MU82

• All American
« Reply #17547 on: May 17, 2019, 01:21:58 PM »
Wee good, Nads, hey?

Ho.

BTW, back when I lived in Chicago, my golf buddies used to call me Nads. Or sometimes M-Nads. Always liked those nicknames.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #17548 on: May 17, 2019, 02:11:41 PM »
Ho.

BTW, back when I lived in Chicago, my golf buddies used to call me Nads. Or sometimes M-Nads. Always liked those nicknames.
When You were playing well did your buddies shout out  "Go Nads" 
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

MU82

• All American
« Reply #17549 on: May 17, 2019, 02:49:20 PM »
When You were playing well did your buddies shout out  "Go Nads"

Who says I ever played well?!?!

feedback