[Today at 12:21:14 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Spotcheck Billy
[Today at 11:11:22 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 11:00:09 AM]

Banquet by muwarrior69
[Today at 08:43:40 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Recruiting as of 3/15/24  (Read 8469443 times)

wadesworld

• All American
Re: Recruiting as of 5/15/18
« Reply #13350 on: May 18, 2018, 09:11:00 AM »
Pros and cons to each.  SoCal obviously has great weather, the landscape is awesome, you don't have to deal with potholes, shoveling, raking, rain, etc.  But you have to sit in your car for forever if you want to go more than a mile from where you are, the people in general are a bit less welcoming, it's expensive, it can get dry, etc.

In the Midwest people are kinder, you have more personal space, it's cheaper, but you have to deal with all of the weather and everything that comes with it.

PNW is awesome to visit but the hippies and hipsters would get obnoxious, some parts are getting crowded, and you can still get some of the bad Midwestern weather, etc.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

DCHoopster

• Team Captain
« Reply #13351 on: May 18, 2018, 09:34:39 AM »
Pros and cons to each.  SoCal obviously has great weather, the landscape is awesome, you don't have to deal with potholes, shoveling, raking, rain, etc.  But you have to sit in your car for forever if you want to go more than a mile from where you are, the people in general are a bit less welcoming, it's expensive, it can get dry, etc.

In the Midwest people are kinder, you have more personal space, it's cheaper, but you have to deal with all of the weather and everything that comes with it.

PNW is awesome to visit but the hippies and hipsters would get obnoxious, some parts are getting crowded, and you can still get some of the bad Midwestern weather, etc.

Brother lives in Malibu, loves it, rarely leaves the area, maybe goes to Santa Monica once in awhile.  Can not beat the weather, shocked Pepperdine does not do better.  Hates going to downtown LA and the traffic.  If you have the money, that is where you go!

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #13352 on: May 18, 2018, 09:51:08 AM »
West Coast kids deal with earth quakes, no big deal.  They feel one earth quake of significance every decade, the weather in the midwest winter is daily.  West coast kids are soft when it comes to weather.
Right on. You gotta be tough to survive Wisconsin's nine month winters.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #13353 on: May 18, 2018, 10:01:12 AM »

This is going to inflame Scoop given where most of its members live but the myth that people in the midwest are kinder then people from other parts of the country needs to die. And die quickly.

Keeping this thread on topic, no recruit gives a god damn crap about any of this drivel the dopey old folks discuss here.

barfolomew

• All American
« Reply #13354 on: May 18, 2018, 10:19:59 AM »
Earthquakes and sharks to start us off,
If Chupacabras ain't enough,
Black widow spiders and killer bees,
Ain't no shade and ain't no trees.
Black bears and heat, polluted air,
There's traffic jams beyond compare.
That's all I got to warn ya bout Mexico and California.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tTIUDsb2XGs
Relationes Incrementum Victoria

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #13355 on: May 18, 2018, 11:01:39 AM »
DJ Carton will be at Homestead HS in the Quon this weekend I believe.

Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #13356 on: May 18, 2018, 11:37:53 AM »
This is going to inflame Scoop given where most of its members live but the myth that people in the midwest are kinder then people from other parts of the country needs to die. And die quickly.

Keeping this thread on topic, no recruit gives a god damn crap about any of this drivel the dopey old folks discuss here.

Not from other all other parts of the country, but certainly from some parts of the country.  In very populated parts of the country it's hard to be kind/warm/welcoming to everyone you see.  There are just too many people living in NYC, SoCal, Dallas/Houston/Austion, Chicago, etc. to avoid being "rude" to people.

When you're a 6'8" volleyball player in SoCal you don't care who's trying to watch what, you'll stand anywhere and chat it up with your buddies because there are too many people to worry about whose sightline you're cutting off.  When you're in Milwaukee people typically notice, "Hey, there's a lot of space around here, I'm really tall, this person is standing here watching the court I just stopped in front of, I'll move over to a different part of the building to chat with my buddies so this person can see."  When you're playing beach volleyball at Huntington Beach and your ball rolls onto/very close to another court, the people at that court ignore it whereas if you go to Bradford Beach and play in Milwaukee if a ball rolls on/near your court you pick it up and throw it back to the people.  When you're driving in SoCal/Chicago/Boston/TX you squeeze into tight spots in traffic or you'll never be able to merge/move over a lane and you don't clear space to let people in, it's just too crowded.  That's not something you have to worry about in smaller cities.

In general, I find people in Milwaukee/Minneapolis/Louisville/Cincinnati/St. Louis far more aware of their surroundings than people in Chicago/New York City/SoCal/Dallas/Houston/Boston.  In those bigger cities you can't worry about being accommodating to other people, there are just too many people to accommodate.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2018, 11:40:22 AM by wadesworld »
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

bilsu

• All American

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #13358 on: May 18, 2018, 02:22:23 PM »
Not from other all other parts of the country, but certainly from some parts of the country.  In very populated parts of the country it's hard to be kind/warm/welcoming to everyone you see.  There are just too many people living in NYC, SoCal, Dallas/Houston/Austion, Chicago, etc. to avoid being "rude" to people.

When you're a 6'8" volleyball player in SoCal you don't care who's trying to watch what, you'll stand anywhere and chat it up with your buddies because there are too many people to worry about whose sightline you're cutting off.  When you're in Milwaukee people typically notice, "Hey, there's a lot of space around here, I'm really tall, this person is standing here watching the court I just stopped in front of, I'll move over to a different part of the building to chat with my buddies so this person can see."  When you're playing beach volleyball at Huntington Beach and your ball rolls onto/very close to another court, the people at that court ignore it whereas if you go to Bradford Beach and play in Milwaukee if a ball rolls on/near your court you pick it up and throw it back to the people.  When you're driving in SoCal/Chicago/Boston/TX you squeeze into tight spots in traffic or you'll never be able to merge/move over a lane and you don't clear space to let people in, it's just too crowded.  That's not something you have to worry about in smaller cities.

In general, I find people in Milwaukee/Minneapolis/Louisville/Cincinnati/St. Louis far more aware of their surroundings than people in Chicago/New York City/SoCal/Dallas/Houston/Boston.  In those bigger cities you can't worry about being accommodating to other people, there are just too many people to accommodate.

Stretching hard to hold up the myth. Admire the grit no matter how wrong it is.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #13359 on: May 18, 2018, 02:27:53 PM »
I have lived in the Midwest, West Coast, South, and visit the east coast a lot to visit the in laws. In general, I find the people in the midwest to be kinder/more welcoming than either of the coasts and its not close IMHO. However, the south has the midwest beat....as long as your straight, white, and christian....though its become more inclusive even in the 5 years I've been living down here.

But by far the most welcoming place I have ever lived? Salt Lake City, UT. May have just been lucky, but every person I met there was pleasant, friendly, and in general fun to hang out with.

All my personal opinion of course but there are definitely different cultures in different parts of the country and the coasts tend to be more abrasive in my experience....or at least the parts of the coast that I have been too.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #13360 on: May 18, 2018, 02:30:12 PM »
Everyone everywhere is nice.  Nothing to see here!   ;D

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #13361 on: May 18, 2018, 03:28:59 PM »
I have lived in the Midwest, West Coast, South, and visit the east coast a lot to visit the in laws. In general, I find the people in the midwest to be kinder/more welcoming than either of the coasts and its not close IMHO. However, the south has the midwest beat....as long as your straight, white, and christian....though its become more inclusive even in the 5 years I've been living down here.

But by far the most welcoming place I have ever lived? Salt Lake City, UT. May have just been lucky, but every person I met there was pleasant, friendly, and in general fun to hang out with.

All my personal opinion of course but there are definitely different cultures in different parts of the country and the coasts tend to be more abrasive in my experience....or at least the parts of the coast that I have been too.

Pretty much the same as how I've experienced it.

Stretching hard to hold up the myth. Admire the grit no matter how wrong it is.

It's not a myth and there's no stretching.  It's what I've experienced.  Glad you've had a different experience.

Floorslapper

• All American
« Reply #13362 on: May 18, 2018, 07:38:57 PM »

This is rich.  Considering the source.  Your consistently condescending tone here essentially proves Wades point true - coasties (especially Jersey dudes like you), generally are smug/aloof tools.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #13363 on: May 18, 2018, 08:06:46 PM »
Full stop.  Thank you.

Now back to Friday drinking boys.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #13364 on: May 18, 2018, 09:04:40 PM »
I’ve got to think the number of Arby’s per capita has to play into the mood of a region. Thus, affecting the overall kindness of a region.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #13365 on: May 18, 2018, 11:32:16 PM »

If people from either coast would quit saying it after they come here, it might die quicker. I have had people say it to me over and over - especially people from the NYc-Boston corridor.

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #13366 on: May 19, 2018, 01:12:39 AM »
Ah, recruiting thread?
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

NorthernDancerColt

• All American
« Reply #13367 on: May 19, 2018, 01:49:19 AM »
If people from either coast would quit saying it after they come here, it might die quicker. I have had people say it to me over and over - especially people from the NYc-Boston corridor.

Yep. Didn't Jay Wright say it about MU fans at the Bradley Center?

And didn't he also say @Marquette is one of the best atmospheres in the BigEast?

So.....nice and raucous can coexist?......nice.

Sounds like a pretty good recruiting thread to me.
Zenyatta has a lot....a lot... of ground to make up. She gets there from here she’d be a super horse......what’s this.....Zenyatta hooked to the grandstand side....Zenyatta flying on the outside....this....is...un-belieeeeeevable!...looked impossible at the top of the stretch...

GoldenDieners32

• All American
« Reply #13368 on: May 20, 2018, 01:23:30 PM »
Desmond Polk 2020 is transferring from New Berlin West to Nicolet High School, Jamari Sibley plays at Nicolet also

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #13369 on: May 20, 2018, 05:31:39 PM »
Yeah butt, duzant he gotta sit out a year, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

GoldenDieners32

• All American
« Reply #13370 on: May 20, 2018, 06:02:33 PM »
Yeah butt, duzant he gotta sit out a year, hey?
Nope, finishing his school year there

MU82

• All American
« Reply #13371 on: May 20, 2018, 06:21:58 PM »
This is rich.  Considering the source.  Your consistently condescending tone here essentially proves Wades point true - coasties (especially Jersey dudes like you), generally are smug/aloof tools.

When in doubt, bring out the namecalling.

Ners 101.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

lessthannick11

• Team Captain
« Reply #13372 on: May 20, 2018, 07:19:15 PM »
Desmond Polk 2020 is transferring from New Berlin West to Nicolet High School, Jamari Sibley plays at Nicolet also

Because the west coach quit?

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #13373 on: May 20, 2018, 07:43:00 PM »
I would be telling them the great earth quake is due and it is safer to be in Wisconsin, which does not have a fault line.
When Haanif was on his recruiting trip to Cal there was an earthquake, which he cited at the time helped to close the deal with MU.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #13374 on: May 20, 2018, 07:54:51 PM »
Yeah butt ders hurricanes and chit in Florida, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"