[Today at 08:11:30 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by GoldenEagles03
[Today at 12:21:14 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Spotcheck Billy
[Today at 11:11:22 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 11:00:09 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Recruiting as of 3/15/24  (Read 8469752 times)

wadesworld

• All American
Re: Recruiting as of 1/15/17
« Reply #5350 on: January 19, 2017, 09:19:30 AM »
6'3" guy with suspect defense who is barely in the top 300 might pick us over Toledo and Rice.  Not shaping up to be a great class.

Completely disagree.  This is a great class.

If you follow recruiting rankings then JJJ is a better basketball player than Zach LaVine.  DOH!
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #5351 on: January 19, 2017, 09:22:35 AM »
6'3" guy with suspect defense who is barely in the top 300 might pick us over Toledo and Rice.  Not shaping up to be a great class.

Elliott is a late bloomer. He's starting to get more attention. Michigan and MSU have both been in to see him. I think Pitt too. The kid is averaging 32 points a game in a tough high school league. That doesn't happen in accident
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #5352 on: January 19, 2017, 09:31:24 AM »
Completely disagree.  This is a great class.

If you follow recruiting rankings then JJJ is a better basketball player than Zach LaVine.  DOH!

There are exceptions to almost every rule and late bloomers are often better than their rankings. But I'll take top 100 guys and give you guys ranked around 300 and take my chances.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #5353 on: January 19, 2017, 09:36:20 AM »

Cain and John are legit.

Eke is a bit of a project, but one that could turn into a special player down the road.  One of those guys you see on a mid major team as an upperclassman and wonder how in the hell he ended up there. I personally am excited for Eke.

I think Elliott is a great pick up, assuming the kid knows getting off the bench next year with any regularity is a long shot.  Let him develop, and see what happens. He can certainly fill it up, and some say he is the leader in the clubhouse for Mr. Basketball in Michigan.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #5354 on: January 19, 2017, 09:43:23 AM »
Cain and John are legit.

Eke is a bit of a project, but one that could turn into a special player down the road.  One of those guys you see on a mid major team as an upperclassman and wonder how in the hell he ended up there. I personally am excited for Eke.

I think Elliott is a great pick up, assuming the kid knows getting off the bench next year with any regularity is a long shot.  Let him develop, and see what happens. He can certainly fill it up, and some say he is the leader in the clubhouse for Mr. Basketball in Michigan.

Heard that also.  Rankings can not mean anything when you have a late bloomer.  The bolded reinforces why suddenly a lot of big schools are running to watch.  In Wojo I trust.

frozena pizza

• All American
« Reply #5355 on: January 19, 2017, 09:47:51 AM »
Yes, there are always exceptions and I know we have Froling coming in.

There are three Big East teams that currently do not have an ESPN top 100 recruit for 2017 - DePaul, Providence and Marquette.  There are 5 Big East teams ranked in the top 40 classes and we are not one of them.

The last time MU did not have a top 100 recruit in its class was 2011.  That class included Todd Mayo as a post-grad and Derrick Wilson and Juan Anderson were both ranked higher than anyone in our current class.

Ideally we would have a couple of headliners (top 100) and 1 or 2 potential late bloomers that address roster needs to mix in with a transfer.  That's sort of what we had this year with Howard, Hauser, Reinhardt and Rowsey becoming eligible.  I'm just saying this class doesn't have any real high end talent that is likely to help push us to the upper echelon of the Big East.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #5356 on: January 19, 2017, 09:56:05 AM »
How often do guards red shirt?  Seems odd that a lot of people would expect GE to.  I know Big Daddy had referenced that someone may red shirt but I would think it would be more like to be a big man like Eke.

Edmond Sumner on line one...

GE is quite thin, so I wouldn't rule redshirting out completely.  Depends on a number of things...do we land a grad transfer, and if we do what position?  Add another wing to Cheatham, Wilson, Cain, Anim and I don't see much pt for GE.  Why not red shirt?

Eke may red shirt as well.  The only thing that worries me is only having two big men for the first 10 games.  But we only have 2 big men this year so I can see how Wojo might go that route until Froling is eligible.

Wouldn't surprise me if Eke redshirts.  Maybe both Eke and GE would, but we have to land the latter first.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #5357 on: January 19, 2017, 09:56:29 AM »

There are three Big East teams that currently do not have an ESPN top 100 recruit for 2017 - DePaul, Providence and Marquette.  There are 5 Big East teams ranked in the top 40 classes and we are not one of them.

The last time MU did not have a top 100 recruit in its class was 2011.  That class included Todd Mayo as a post-grad and Derrick Wilson and Juan Anderson were both ranked higher than anyone in our current class.

Ideally we would have a couple of headliners (top 100) and 1 or 2 potential late bloomers that address roster needs to mix in with a transfer.  That's sort of what we had this year with Howard, Hauser, Reinhardt and Rowsey becoming eligible.  I'm just saying this class doesn't have any real high end talent that is likely to help push us to the upper echelon of the Big East.

The crux of the future is already here in Howard, Haany, Hauser, Froling, Rowsey, and Wilson. Squad lacks athleticism and jumping jack board men which is why the additions will be a redshirt Anim, John, Cain, and Eke.

Wojo's recruiting is addressing that which we lack now. It's weird to consider it a negative to fix a problem.

GoldenDieners32

• All American
« Reply #5358 on: January 19, 2017, 09:56:50 AM »

Rankings don't mean anything

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #5359 on: January 19, 2017, 10:02:07 AM »
The crux of the future is already here in Howard, Haany, Hauser, Froling, Rowsey, and Wilson. Squad lacks athleticism and jumping jack board men which is why the additions will be a redshirt Anim, John, Cain, and Eke.

Wojo's recruiting is addressing that which we lack now. It's weird to consider it a negative to fix a problem.

a.k.a. pogo stick?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #5360 on: January 19, 2017, 10:03:35 AM »
Rankings don't mean anything

Sorry but that's just not true.  The correlation between rankings and quality basketball players is a positive one.  Now they don't mean as much as some people *think* they do.  But they most definitely mean something.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #5361 on: January 19, 2017, 10:12:20 AM »

Cain is top 100 on Rivals and one other ranking site.  Probably won't have a freshman year as good as Henry or Markus but a very nice prospect.

John rebounds and defends.  Two things we need.  Wojo beat out 5 other high majors.  The kind of player that helps you win games by doing the dirty work.  I think college coaches value him more than the ranking gurus who tend to favor offensive ability above all else.

Yep, Eke is a project and Elliot is a late blooming diamond in the rough.  They may amount to nothing but both are long and athletic.  I'm ok having a couple low floor, high ceiling players at the end of the roster.  Maybe Wojo can develop them into contributors in 2-3 years, maybe not.  We'll have to wait and see.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2017, 10:15:12 AM by Lazar's Headband »

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #5362 on: January 19, 2017, 10:14:49 AM »

You're a bit too worried about rankings, IMO.  But, I bet Cain gets in the top 100 at the end of the day, and wouldn't be surprised if John does. 
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #5363 on: January 19, 2017, 10:26:26 AM »
If we can sign Greg Elliot it would be frosting on the cake as far as our 2017 class goes. Remember, he plays in one of the best high school leagues in the country so what he is accomplishing is not a fluke thing.

We are recruiting the type of athletes that will give us a competitive advantage.

1. Jamal Cain is a Pogo Stick with Length and skills
2. Ike Eke is a Pogo Stick with Length and has a body that can get even bigger
3. Greg Elliot is a Pogo Stick with Length on the uptrend.
4. Theo John is a rim protector with a Big East ready body .

It is important to note that Ike Eke was the starting center on a Class A State championship team in Michigan as a junior. Historically those players go on to very good college careers.

The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

tower912

• All American
« Reply #5364 on: January 19, 2017, 10:52:27 AM »
Who is saying that GE is weak defensively?    I lamented that in his highlight videos we don't see on-ball defense.     And that we need guys who can play defense.    This class, regardless of what the rankings say, has the potential to alleviate many of MU's weaknesses.       A number of athletic bigs, an athletic wing, a scoring guard....what's not to like?
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #5365 on: January 19, 2017, 10:59:39 AM »
If only we had some experience with non top 100 kids out of high school going on to have great careers at MU and/or the NBA it would be easier to believe that John, Eke and Elliott could turn out to be good players.......

Jimmy Butler....Jae Crowder......DJO.......DWADE....Gardner.....

fjm

• All American
« Reply #5366 on: January 19, 2017, 11:01:06 AM »
If only we had some experience with non top 100 kids out of high school going on to have great careers at MU and/or the NBA it would be easier to believe that John, Eke and Elliott could turn out to be good players.......

Jimmy Butler....Jae Crowder......DJO.......DWADE....Gardner.....

BOOOO! Down with facts.

frozena pizza

• All American
« Reply #5367 on: January 19, 2017, 11:28:15 AM »
BOOOO! Down with facts.

If the facts are that you can name 5 guys from the past 20 years who were not highly rated out of high school and had success at this level (3 highly accomplished JUCOs, one who was rated 88 by ESPN btw and a non-qualifier who became a superstar), then I'll gladly give you that.  If it means we would rather have unrated guys then rated guys, or you'd rather have our class than Kentucky's, that's wrong.  Obviously I hope these guys are all highly successful four years players.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #5368 on: January 19, 2017, 11:57:00 AM »
If the facts are that you can name 5 guys from the past 20 years who were not highly rated out of high school and had success at this level (3 highly accomplished JUCOs, one who was rated 88 by ESPN btw and a non-qualifier who became a superstar), then I'll gladly give you that.  If it means we would rather have unrated guys then rated guys, or you'd rather have our class than Kentucky's, that's wrong.  Obviously I hope these guys are all highly successful four years players.

I think the point is that rankings don't tell the whole story.  The incoming class does a very good job of filling the biggest holes that we currently have on the roster.  We have seen rankings be spot on (Hank) and we have seen rankings be horrible in both directions (Davante incredibly underrated, JJJ, Eric Williams, Duane, Juan, etc. overrated).  If you get a guy ranked in the top 25 there's a pretty good bet you got yourself a good player.  Outside of that?  Rankings can help, but they overvalue athleticism (see: Wilson, Jamil) and undervalue skill (see: Hauser, Samuel).

While the top end talent may not be there, the size and athleticism needed for the roster to compete for a BE title in 2 years is.

Respect the process, ai'na?
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #5369 on: January 19, 2017, 12:00:30 PM »
There are exceptions to almost every rule and late bloomers are often better than their rankings. But I'll take top 100 guys and give you guys ranked around 300 and take my chances.
The problem with this is that the rankings for this year are not final. He could very well end up being top 100 when the final rankings come out.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #5370 on: January 19, 2017, 12:01:11 PM »
Never said I'd rather have our class then Kentucky's.......just trying to give a little perspective so that people don't assume the class stinks before the kids even get to campus.

I didn't even bring up all the top 100 kids we have had over the years that didn't do jack here.

Why keep quoting ESPN? They are only 1 service and probably not even the best. Cain is top 100...https://sites.google.com/site/rscihoops/2017-summer

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #5371 on: January 19, 2017, 12:10:07 PM »
Never said I'd rather have our class then Kentucky's.......just trying to give a little perspective so that people don't assume the class stinks before the kids even get to campus.

I didn't even bring up all the top 100 kids we have had over the years that didn't do jack here.

Why keep quoting ESPN? They are only 1 service and probably not even the best. Cain is top 100...https://sites.google.com/site/rscihoops/2017-summer
I always wondered if we got some of those recruits, because other coaches knew they were not as good as their rankings and Buzz did not. I loved Buzz, but he was not good at recruiting high school players who turned out better than their rankings.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #5372 on: January 19, 2017, 12:13:48 PM »
I always wondered if we got some of those recruits, because other coaches knew they were not as good as their rankings and Buzz did not. I loved Buzz, but he was not good at recruiting high school players who turned out better than their rankings.

Bazz liked the physical athletes.  The recruiting rankings favor athleticism over skill and IQ, so the type of player Bazz went after was typically favored over the less athletic but more skilled player was.

Bazz's problem was that, with a few obvious exceptions (Davante, Vander, etc.), the players that excelled under Bazz were the athletes who were coached up by somebody else for him (the Jae's, DJO's, and Jimmy Butler's of the world).  The high school guys he got did not have the benefit of honing in their skills for 2 years under someone else.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #5373 on: January 19, 2017, 12:27:17 PM »

I think Buzz has a great Juco network that helps him dig up those guys. 

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #5374 on: January 19, 2017, 12:28:27 PM »
Bazz liked the physical athletes.  The recruiting rankings favor athleticism over skill and IQ, so the type of player Bazz went after was typically favored over the less athletic but more skilled player was.

Bazz's problem was that, with a few obvious exceptions (Davante, Vander, etc.), the players that excelled under Bazz were the athletes who were coached up by somebody else for him (the Jae's, DJO's, and Jimmy Butler's of the world).  The high school guys he got did not have the benefit of honing in their skills for 2 years under someone else.

Yeah I'm not sure how much skills honing went on the one year JFB and DJO were at a Juco.  Same with Jae who was at two different ones.  I just think he has the network to unearth these guys.