Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Recruiting as of 5/15/24  (Read 8720610 times)

MuMark

• All American
Re: Recruiting as of 7/15/16
« Reply #2750 on: August 03, 2016, 04:20:40 PM »
.@Theojohn123 has 2 offical visits set up: Cal Bears Aug 25-28 & Marquette Sept 1-3 & also possible meet with Gophers in Sept. #PULLEYHOOPS

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #2751 on: August 03, 2016, 04:41:36 PM »
.@Theojohn123 has 2 offical visits set up: Cal Bears Aug 25-28 & Marquette Sept 1-3 & also possible meet with Gophers in Sept. #PULLEYHOOPS
Hopefully there will be another Earthquake at Cal when Theo visits. It worked wonders when Haanif visited there....
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

MUDPT

• All American
« Reply #2752 on: August 03, 2016, 06:41:59 PM »

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #2753 on: August 03, 2016, 07:06:33 PM »

That means there are two questions here.

1. Has Wojo truly been "unfair" to Duane

Interesting discussion.
Wojo does not have to be unfair for Duane to think he is unfair. I suspect Duane was really disappointed at the start of the season, because Haanif started at point. It seemed to me it took a half of season last year for Duane to come out of a funk, where he just seemed to go through the motions. This is a new season and it will interesting to see how Duane plays at the start. I think he will be okay as long as he retains his starting job.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #2754 on: August 03, 2016, 07:20:26 PM »
Wojo does not have to be unfair for Duane to think he is unfair. I suspect Duane was really disappointed at the start of the season, because Haanif started at point. It seemed to me it took a half of season last year for Duane to come out of a funk, where he just seemed to go through the motions. This is a new season and it will interesting to see how Duane plays at the start. I think he will be okay as long as he retains his starting job.

Retains? DU came off the bench for a significant portion of the season.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #2755 on: August 03, 2016, 09:18:22 PM »
            ---Al McGuire

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #2756 on: August 03, 2016, 09:50:20 PM »
Retains? DU came off the bench for a significant portion of the season.

He might have meant "regains"?

Seems unlikely though......but really minutes are what's important and he got plenty last year.

Hope he plays well and continues to be a significant contributor but if he doesn't Wojo will,have other options this year.

At this level you get what you earn.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #2757 on: August 03, 2016, 10:37:20 PM »
it's not uncommon for a new coach to favor his own players over leftovers from the previous regime.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #2758 on: August 03, 2016, 11:16:46 PM »
it's not uncommon for a new coach to favor his own players over leftovers from the previous regime.

A coach will play the players that give him the best chance to win games.  "His guys," "the past guy's guys," "the assistant's guys," whoever will win him games.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #2759 on: August 04, 2016, 06:16:25 AM »
It's an important year for Wilson.  Lucky for him he can dictate how it goes through his play.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #2760 on: August 04, 2016, 07:34:51 AM »
So we have 3 more slots to fill for '17 unless here somewhere Wojo uses a slot on a transfer.  Anybody hear anything along those lines?  If not we'll need at least one more big and we'll be really young up front come next year at this time.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #2761 on: August 04, 2016, 08:12:12 AM »
So we have 3 more slots to fill for '17 unless here somewhere Wojo uses a slot on a transfer.  Anybody hear anything along those lines?  If not we'll need at least one more big and we'll be really young up front come next year at this time.

Yes, one more big.  Theo John is a huge priority for us.

fjm

• All American
« Reply #2762 on: August 04, 2016, 08:53:50 AM »
I kinda hope we go SF, PF, Pf, C.

We have enough Guards at this point. In 2017 we will still have Carter, Wilson, rowsey, Hanni, Howard. We will also have a 20 year old Bailey coming in.

But it doesn't look like we are going after much in the way of a C for next year.

HoopsterBC

• All American
« Reply #2763 on: August 04, 2016, 09:15:21 AM »

We have enough Guards at this point. In 2017 we will still have Carter, Wilson, rowsey, Hanni, Howard. We will also have a 20 year old Bailey coming in.

But it doesn't look like we are going after much in the way of a C for next year.

That is why any senior will realize there is immediate playing time next year,  if you can not recruit then, then there is a slight problem with Wojo and recruiting.  The
school has proven in the past they can get players plus Wojo has more ammunition with a new NBA facility coming on board.  He might have to go for a JC kid if they
let him.  Those kids have to start right away.  The graduate transfer can work but very risky to wait till spring,  he has had some success there.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #2764 on: August 04, 2016, 09:18:26 AM »
That is why any senior will realize there is immediate playing time next year,  if you can not recruit then, then there is a slight problem with Wojo and recruiting.  The
school has proven in the past they can get players plus Wojo has more ammunition with a new NBA facility coming on board.  He might have to go for a JC kid if they
let him.  Those kids have to start right away.  The graduate transfer can work but very risky to wait till spring,  he has had some success there.

This is the 3rd coach that I have been old enough to understand how things work in college basketball for at Marquette.  If Wojo isn't able to land any talented bigs, this will have been the 3rd coach now that we've said, "He has immediate playing time available, if he can't get these kids in here now he never will and his recruiting is a problem."
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #2765 on: August 04, 2016, 09:20:46 AM »

Bailey won't be here until 2018 right?

Also, is John the guy we've been recruiting the longest for this class? I think him along with McKinley Wright and Tre Jones were the first guys Wojo was mentioned recruiting for 2017. I feel good about our chances with him. Although that might just be because we've been thought of as a top school with him for so long.

HoopsterBC

• All American
« Reply #2766 on: August 04, 2016, 09:25:13 AM »
Bailey won't be here until 2018 right?

Also, is John the guy we've been recruiting the longest for this class? I think him along with McKinley Wright and Tre Jones were the first guys Wojo was mentioned recruiting for 2017. I feel good about our chances with him. Although that might just be because we've been thought of as a top school with him for so long.

Correct,  Bailey will not be available till 2018-19 season,  2 year mission, unless he decides differently.  Long way off.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #2767 on: August 04, 2016, 10:04:46 AM »
A few thoughts...

• Based on offers, it definitely looks like they want two more PF/C types in this class and a scorer.
  • John visits next month, I have a feeling him and Tillman are the top targets. Getting both would be a coup, and despite neither being 7-footers, both fill enough space that they could probably adjust to either the 4 or the 5 at this level.
  • Epperson feels like a wildcard. Getting a ton of late offers, and while we were one of the first (and he has been on campus at least a little) his stock could rise. From what I've heard, he might be the least college ready and needs to bulk up. Personally, he'd be third on my big man list after John and Xavier.
  • No idea where we really are with Fernando, French, or Donnie Tillman (though Donnie did sound very interested based on previous comments). Guessing there's mutual interest, but think they are all back seat to Xavier and John.
  • For wings, I'm really warming to Jordan Nwora. Watching him, I think he's a more versatile scorer than Terrence Lewis. Not as strong, but longer and has room to add muscle. While Lewis seems like a pure catch and shoot guy from deep, Nwora seems better at creating his own shot. Can score on the run, moving right, catch-and-shoot, and has some mid-range ability as well. The 6'8" frame is also very nice as he could play 3, 4, or (if he bulks up) maybe even some 5.
  • Bailey is the forgotten man, but it will be interesting to see what he looks like when he gets here. Will be a 20-year-old freshman, is already 6'8" or 6'9", and has 2 years to work on his body. Our frontcourt could get very good, very fast depending on how 2017 finishes. I'm a lot less worried about Luke graduating if we have Heldt (Jr), Eke (So), Tillman/John (So), and Bailey (Fr) all available, especially if there's one more guy there in 2017.
  • In 2018-19, we project to have Carter as a senior and Howard as a junior. We could really use a PG in that class, especially if we don't get one in 2017 (seems unlikely). Joey Hauser looks like the top priority, and as nice as Tyler Herro would be, a true point like Courtney Ramey or Ayo Dosunmu might fit our needs better than another wing scorer. If they think Herro can play the point (and we can keep him away from Arizona) I'm all for it, but how often has he had to play that role with Old Man McCabe next to him?
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Brewtown Andy

• All American
    • Anonymous Eagle
« Reply #2768 on: August 04, 2016, 10:13:07 AM »
Bailey is the forgotten man, but it will be interesting to see what he looks like when he gets here. Will be a 20-year-old freshman, is already 6'8" or 6'9", and has 2 years to work on his body. Our frontcourt could get very good, very fast depending on how 2017 finishes. I'm a lot less worried about Luke graduating if we have Heldt (Jr), Eke (So), Tillman/John (So), and Bailey (Fr) all available, especially if there's one more guy there in 2017.

I would lean towards not expecting Brendan Bailey to get a lot of time to hone his physique between now and August of 2018.  He might be better than your average 18 year old at his height, but expecting him to have a junior's body, or even a sophomore's, with a freshman's eligibility is probably going to be a mistake.
Twitter - @brewtownandy
Anonymous Eagle

HoopsterBC

• All American
« Reply #2769 on: August 04, 2016, 10:14:09 AM »
A few thoughts...

• Based on offers, it definitely looks like they want two more PF/C types in this class and a scorer.
  • John visits next month, I have a feeling him and Tillman are the top targets. Getting both would be a coup, and despite neither being 7-footers, both fill enough space that they could probably adjust to either the 4 or the 5 at this level.
  • Epperson feels like a wildcard. Getting a ton of late offers, and while we were one of the first (and he has been on campus at least a little) his stock could rise. From what I've heard, he might be the least college ready and needs to bulk up. Personally, he'd be third on my big man list after John and Xavier.
  • No idea where we really are with Fernando, French, or Donnie Tillman (though Donnie did sound very interested based on previous comments). Guessing there's mutual interest, but think they are all back seat to Xavier and John.
  • For wings, I'm really warming to Jordan Nwora. Watching him, I think he's a more versatile scorer than Terrence Lewis. Not as strong, but longer and has room to add muscle. While Lewis seems like a pure catch and shoot guy from deep, Nwora seems better at creating his own shot. Can score on the run, moving right, catch-and-shoot, and has some mid-range ability as well. The 6'8" frame is also very nice as he could play 3, 4, or (if he bulks up) maybe even some 5.
  • Bailey is the forgotten man, but it will be interesting to see what he looks like when he gets here. Will be a 20-year-old freshman, is already 6'8" or 6'9", and has 2 years to work on his body. Our frontcourt could get very good, very fast depending on how 2017 finishes. I'm a lot less worried about Luke graduating if we have Heldt (Jr), Eke (So), Tillman/John (So), and Bailey (Fr) all available, especially if there's one more guy there in 2017.
  • In 2018-19, we project to have Carter as a senior and Howard as a junior. We could really use a PG in that class, especially if we don't get one in 2017 (seems unlikely). Joey Hauser looks like the top priority, and as nice as Tyler Herro would be, a true point like Courtney Ramey or Ayo Dosunmu might fit our needs better than another wing scorer. If they think Herro can play the point (and we can keep him away from Arizona) I'm all for it, but how often has he had to play that role with Old Man McCabe next to him?

I have seen some footage of Bailey, looks more like Reggie Miller,  might play the 2 or 3 but does not have the physical being right now to be a power player, more
of an outside threat.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #2770 on: August 04, 2016, 10:32:31 AM »
I have seen some footage of Bailey, looks more like Reggie Miller,  might play the 2 or 3 but does not have the physical being right now to be a power player, more
of an outside threat.

Good thing he has 2 years to bulk up.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #2771 on: August 04, 2016, 10:37:30 AM »
Yes, one more big.  Theo John is a huge priority for us.
I agree with this analysis.
            ---Al McGuire

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #2772 on: August 04, 2016, 10:53:11 AM »

Class balance is important. Having a class with only forward and centers could harm us in 3 to 4 years. I think we need at least one guard in this class.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

fjm

• All American
« Reply #2773 on: August 04, 2016, 10:56:15 AM »
Class balance is important. Having a class with only forward and centers could harm us in 3 to 4 years. I think we need at least one guard in this class.

I completely agree and understand that. And I guess I'm looking from how Guard heavy we are. But that's a good point.

And as stated by I think brew, Bailey doesn't come until 2018, my bad. But he is listed in the 2017-18 class on the Scoop Scholarship table.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #2774 on: August 04, 2016, 11:10:56 AM »

It's idealistic, but I'd be giddy for an all forward class, say Eke, Tillman, and Nwora along with a great transfer big that allowed for an ideal 2018 class of Hauser, Herro, and a PG. We don't need a point in 2017 specifically, but we do need one before 2019.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

feedback