Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Recruiting as of 5/15/24  (Read 8720732 times)

Gato78

• Team Captain
Re: Recruiting as of 7/15/16
« Reply #2725 on: August 02, 2016, 09:54:23 PM »
What if Duane's dad wanted MU to get more active recruiting Kostis  Antetenkoumpo? Does that change the hypothetical?

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #2726 on: August 02, 2016, 09:55:24 PM »
I'm going to go out on a limb and say there's a higher likelihood of Freeport's hypothetical striking closer to the truth considering his sources than MUFINY's hypotheticals being anywhere near reality.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #2727 on: August 02, 2016, 09:59:12 PM »
I'm going to go out on a limb and say there's a higher likelihood of Freeport's hypothetical striking closer to the truth considering his sources than MUFINY's hypotheticals being anywhere near reality.
So I guess what your saying is you don't have anything to add to the conversation.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #2728 on: August 03, 2016, 08:24:55 AM »
So I guess what your saying is you don't have anything to add to the conversation.

He is simply reminding people that Freeport generally knows what he is talking about.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #2729 on: August 03, 2016, 08:59:54 AM »

Your history is you look at a team photo and make decisions based on the smiles of the players:

1) Henry loves school and loves his brother = Four Years!
2) Luke is poised for a big year!
3) Duane and his Dad are Wojo's tireless recruiters
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #2730 on: August 03, 2016, 09:08:44 AM »
Your history is you look at a team photo and make decisions based on the smiles of the players:

2) Luke is poised for a big year!

I agree with this analysis.

Freeport Warrior

• All American
« Reply #2731 on: August 03, 2016, 09:24:20 AM »
Bravo, Lens!

Duane's dad coached Henry too, NY.
Is he close with the Ellensen family? How did he take the "you have a scholly, you don't" sitch?
Duane's dad also coached Sandy and was a part of getting him to MU. Does he like the way Wojo is using his former player? Is he close with his fam? Is there a defacto "gripe group" that smiles on the outside but is fuming on the inside? Press releases, instagram photos, twitter retweets, hashtags are all PR. There are so many agendas and back office strategy sessions going on it would make your head spin. The next thing you are going to tell me is that Herro isn't looking too move on from McCabe next summer because they have a photo on twitter that says #bros4life.

Could Duane end up helping recruit TL? It is surely possible, but I BELIEVE it is certainly not a given considering all that has gone down, and that Duane's positive involvement is entirely dependent upon his future play, role, father's happiness, etc., etc.

NotAnAlum

• All American
« Reply #2732 on: August 03, 2016, 09:36:57 AM »
I know someone who has remained close friends with Duane through HS and College.  What she has told me matches well with Freeport's assessment.  Duane's role with the team hasn't worked out the way he expected.  He doesn't feel the bond with Wojo that he did with Buzz and his staff.  He is a "team player" when hosting recruits etc but what he or his Dad would tell someone who they consider a "friend" that's a different matter.  I wouldn't count on a "ringing endorsement".

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #2733 on: August 03, 2016, 09:44:32 AM »
Outstanding discussion.  Thanks Freeport.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #2734 on: August 03, 2016, 09:46:25 AM »
Of course if that Hypothetically were the case, I would agree with the analysis.

I think reality is Duane had more minutes as a sophomore even though he was hurt, Wojo believed in him in the clutch and he had the longest leash of any kid on the team as Wojo left him in one game after going something like 2-15 from the field. None of the newbies are going to take Duanes minutes unless Duane completely collapses which is unlikely. Duanes dad worked hard to deliver the MU offer for Terrence. Duane has scored almost 800 points in two years so it could hard be labeled a disappointing experience from a basketball perspective and he is clearly growing as a young man so what is not to like. 

Yes the two guys leaving are a countervailing force. Obviously much discussion pro and con on this website about Deonte leaving, but McKay was barely here and he left under the prior administration.

Iowa State is tough competition no doubt about it. Hoping we can make our case because I believe Terrence is a kid whose stock is steadily rising. Would be a real force on the floor at some point paired with Ike Eke.

I question the decision of you being allowed to own a keyboard.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #2735 on: August 03, 2016, 09:50:56 AM »
Bravo, Lens!

Duane's dad coached Henry too, NY.
Is he close with the Ellensen family? How did he take the "you have a scholly, you don't" sitch?
Duane's dad also coached Sandy and was a part of getting him to MU. Does he like the way Wojo is using his former player? Is he close with his fam? Is there a defacto "gripe group" that smiles on the outside but is fuming on the inside? Press releases, instagram photos, twitter retweets, hashtags are all PR. There are so many agendas and back office strategy sessions going on it would make your head spin. The next thing you are going to tell me is that Herro isn't looking too move on from McCabe next summer because they have a photo on twitter that says #bros4life.

Could Duane end up helping recruit TL? It is surely possible, but I BELIEVE it is certainly not a given considering all that has gone down, and that Duane's positive involvement is entirely dependent upon his future play, role, father's happiness, etc., etc.

That means there are two questions here.

1. Has Wojo truly been "unfair" to Duane, Sandy and the Ellensons?

2. Has the relationship with "Ike" soured to the point that it is going to significantly damage the recruitment of Playground Warriors in the coming years?

Interesting discussion.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #2736 on: August 03, 2016, 09:51:32 AM »

He is simply reminding people that Freeport generally knows what he is talking about.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #2737 on: August 03, 2016, 09:54:20 AM »
What this all reminds me about is that it takes several years for a new coaching staff, even if successful, to go to battle with 'their' guys.  Wojo might not be the collective Wilson's cup of tea.  Fine.  They've found a way to co-exist for 2 going on 3 years.  But to assume a family sponsored future pipeline does seem like a reach.  Personally, I think it more likely that Duane's role is at best flat this year and that we'll be speculating about a grad transfer situation in 9 months.  And the beat goes on.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #2738 on: August 03, 2016, 09:55:58 AM »

2. Has the relationship with "Ike" soured to the point that it is going to significantly damage the recruitment of Playground Warriors in the coming years?

Interesting discussion.

Would this be Duane's dad rather than Ike Eke?  Pardon my ignorance.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #2739 on: August 03, 2016, 09:58:48 AM »

Interesting discussion.

Those are excellent questions.  I think in the case of Duane and Sandy at least, their play is what has dictated their minutes and usage.  In my admittedly inexpert opinion, I'd even say Duane got more than a fair shake last year given his play. 

Given the machinations Freeport has pointed out, it makes me wonder to what degree if any Duane's more than fair shake was influenced by Wojo having to consider the longer term implications from the recruiting angle.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #2740 on: August 03, 2016, 09:59:14 AM »
What this all reminds me about is that it takes several years for a new coaching staff, even if successful, to go to battle with 'their' guys.  Wojo might not be the collective Wilson's cup of tea.  Fine.  They've found a way to co-exist for 2 going on 3 years.  But to assume a family sponsored future pipeline does seem like a reach.  Personally, I think it more likely that Duane's role is at best flat this year and that we'll be speculating about a grad transfer situation in 9 months.  And the beat goes on.

This transition seems to be taking much longer than I remember in other situations....seemed more binary where the player committed/re-committed and seemed like integrate and support the new coaches or left. 

Maybe I am forgetting the endless ambiguity that has occurred elsewhere.  Or maybe we had more underclassman that stayed in the fold.  Just seems like this should be behind us by now.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #2741 on: August 03, 2016, 10:03:05 AM »
Duane's dad also coached Sandy and was a part of getting him to MU. Does he like the way Wojo is using his former player?

I disagree with how Sandy was used as well. Wojo played him more than he should have.

I wouldn't worry as much about this with Lewis. He's coached by his dad, so the influence Ike might have is less than normal.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #2742 on: August 03, 2016, 10:08:25 AM »
Those are excellent questions.  I think in the case of Duane and Sandy at least, their play is what has dictated their minutes and usage.  In my admittedly inexpert opinion, I'd even say Duane got more than a fair shake last year given his play. 

Given the machinations Freeport has pointed out, it makes me wonder to what degree if any Duane's more than fair shake was influenced by Wojo having to consider the longer term implications from the recruiting angle.

Super interesting question.  Personally, I hope Wojo hasn't been influenced by it at all.  But given the Ellenson saga I'm not sure it hasn't played some factor.  The funny thing is that Playground Warriors really haven't delivered 'studs' to MU (apart from one year of HE with a pretty high pricetag).

Last year their players started off all in the starting rotation (if I'm counting and remember correctly).  This year I'd expect zero.

Freeport Warrior

• All American
« Reply #2743 on: August 03, 2016, 10:43:57 AM »
I know someone who has remained close friends with Duane through HS and College.  What she has told me matches well with Freeport's assessment.  Duane's role with the team hasn't worked out the way he expected.  He doesn't feel the bond with Wojo that he did with Buzz and his staff.  He is a "team player" when hosting recruits etc but what he or his Dad would tell someone who they consider a "friend" that's a different matter.  I wouldn't count on a "ringing endorsement".
Here's the thing, Ike (Duane's dad, Glow) is a huge presence in MKE ball. Plenty of lovers and haters. Dude has major, major ego, but the bottom line is that he is a winner. He gets great players and he wins tourneys. He is also a homer parent (we've all been there) who thinks his son is the second coming. Add the fact that he also considers himself a "basketball mind" and put the pieces together. His son excels and plays a major role and he is a great ambassador. He feels his son isn't used properly or slighted and it goes the other way. Your stat line, usage metrics blah, blah, blah don't factor in how they feel, rationally or irrationally.

I don't mean to rip on you NY, but your post about how DW gives us an edge is pretty rudimentary analysis. It made me laugh.

Freeport Warrior

• All American
« Reply #2744 on: August 03, 2016, 10:54:38 AM »
The funny thing is that Playground Warriors Elite really haven't delivered 'studs' to MU (apart from one year of HE with a pretty high pricetag).

Freeport Warrior

• All American
« Reply #2745 on: August 03, 2016, 10:58:01 AM »
Didn't see this before NAA -- last line nailed it.

HoopsterBC

• All American
« Reply #2746 on: August 03, 2016, 11:21:27 AM »
Didn't see this before NAA -- last line nailed it.

Duane I am sure thought he was going to be a pro, in high school he was the star, now his ex teammate, Diamond Stone, a lot younger is getting paid.  Duane is to
small to be a 2 in the pros, and has shown he can not really play the 1.  His size is a detriment, hurt last year supposedly and is at best a streak shooter.  This should
be his year, lets see if he shines.  The difference this year, he has competition for playing time.  Lets see if he grasp that, and becomes the player every one was hoping
he was going to be out of high school.  Also,  Terrance Lewis is not going to make or break the program.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #2747 on: August 03, 2016, 12:55:44 PM »
Here's the thing, Ike (Duane's dad, Glow) is a huge presence in MKE ball. Plenty of lovers and haters. Dude has major, major ego, but the bottom line is that he is a winner. He gets great players and he wins tourneys. He is also a homer parent (we've all been there) who thinks his son is the second coming. Add the fact that he also considers himself a "basketball mind" and put the pieces together. His son excels and plays a major role and he is a great ambassador. He feels his son isn't used properly or slighted and it goes the other way. Your stat line, usage metrics blah, blah, blah don't factor in how they feel, rationally or irrationally.

I don't mean to rip on you NY, but your post about how DW gives us an edge is pretty rudimentary analysis. It made me laugh.
I understand and have a lot more experience in Youth Sports and College Recruiting ,and the intersection thereto when the kid actually hits the Collegiate scene, than You might think. 

The point I am trying to make is Duane is well respected by Terrence Lewis and he will be able to help point out to Terrence a lot of things in ways that resonate with a rising High School Senior.  In particular what Terrence pathway is to playing time as a wing in the MU system, how strength and conditioning program works, dealing with academics etc . You would be surprised at how kids will give other kids good quality advice, even if their own circumstances are not optimal.

Duane has played a role in recruiting in the past and was a huge proponent of Matt Heldt for example. So all I was saying was hopefully he gets to spend time with him on the official visit and help work the order.

The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #2748 on: August 03, 2016, 01:28:20 PM »

It's less an indictment of you and more a testament that Freeport has, over the years, earned my respect time and time again. When he speaks, I tend to listen. There are very few that speak with his level of knowledge, authority, first hand connections, and courtesy.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

NotAnAlum

• All American
« Reply #2749 on: August 03, 2016, 01:30:26 PM »
Duane has played a role in recruiting in the past and was a huge proponent of Matt Heldt for example.

Not to pick on you but Heldt committed well before Duane played a game for Wojo.  Besides it was this last year where if you were to ask Duane he got disconnected from Wojo.  Like I said Duane is a team player and will stand behind the team in recruiting.  But the Duane, who was the recruiter in chief for the program, is no more.