[June 10, 2024, 10:30:14 PM]

NM by mu_hilltopper
[June 10, 2024, 06:17:14 PM]

Lakers Going After Hurley by Uncle Rico
[June 10, 2024, 05:59:32 PM]

President Lovell Passes Away by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[June 10, 2024, 03:28:57 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Recruiting as of 5/15/24  (Read 8895718 times)

JakeBarnes

• All American
Re: Recruiting as of 4/15/20
« Reply #25525 on: April 16, 2020, 04:42:15 PM »
The G League “Select Academy” is not recruiting 2020 PG Karim Mane. He is currently NBA draft eligible. According to sources, the G League Select Academy is for players not eligible for the draft.

https://twitter.com/brookshansen247/status/1250858785255698434
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #25526 on: April 16, 2020, 05:20:24 PM »
No way to know as Torvik's projection model doesn't include the ability to add freshmen. I added Justin Turner on top of Carton and it took us from 59 (where we are now, despite the 53 projection) to 48.
So we'd be 53 without Dawson, Lewis, or Oso?
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #25527 on: April 16, 2020, 05:43:05 PM »
So we'd be 53 without Dawson, Lewis, or Oso?

No, it factors in committed freshmen, it just doesn't allow you to add uncommitted freshmen. There is a "Transfercast" feature that lets you add a transfer player, but there is no "Recruitcast" that does the same for an uncommitted recruit.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #25528 on: April 16, 2020, 06:12:46 PM »
Peter Yannopoulos
@PeteYannopoulos
·
1h
Karim Mane update: The Vanier star being patient & wishes to visit Coach Izzo & #MichiganSt. Teams potentially looking at virtual tours as creative alternatives. Wojo & Marquette still sitting strong. Other schools still in mix-I don’t anticipate KM to declare for #NBA
 draft #RDS
« Last Edit: April 16, 2020, 06:38:16 PM by muguru »
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

Markusquette

• All American
« Reply #25529 on: April 16, 2020, 06:52:37 PM »
Peter Yannopoulos
@PeteYannopoulos
·
1h
Karim Mane update: The Vanier star being patient & wishes to visit Coach Izzo & #MichiganSt. Teams potentially looking at virtual tours as creative alternatives. Wojo & Marquette still sitting strong. Other schools still in mix-I don’t anticipate KM to declare for #NBA
 draft #RDS

Not bad news at all.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #25530 on: April 16, 2020, 06:58:20 PM »
Peter Yannopoulos
@PeteYannopoulos
·
1h
 draft #RDS
Good info....
Goal is National Championship

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #25531 on: April 16, 2020, 07:56:04 PM »
Wait....multiple posters here said Mane was out on MU.

I'm confused

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #25532 on: April 16, 2020, 08:28:58 PM »
Wait....multiple posters here said Mane was out on MU.

I'm confused

I believe we were told he was 'gowne,' which must be French for undecided.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #25533 on: April 16, 2020, 08:55:50 PM »
No, it factors in committed freshmen, it just doesn't allow you to add uncommitted freshmen. There is a "Transfercast" feature that lets you add a transfer player, but there is no "Recruitcast" that does the same for an uncommitted recruit.
I see, thanks
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

Ben Golds Five

• Starter
« Reply #25534 on: April 16, 2020, 10:22:13 PM »
post deleted
« Last Edit: April 17, 2020, 03:53:17 PM by saucy1_23 »

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #25535 on: April 16, 2020, 11:41:56 PM »
re: Mane

You can sell him on being one of the Top 5 recruiting classes in America, the best at MU since Chones and Lackey were the same year with Allie.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2020, 12:23:20 PM by rocky_warrior »

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
Re: Recruiting as of 3/15/20
« Reply #25536 on: April 17, 2020, 12:06:36 AM »
#1 recruit Jalen Green just did.
https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/29043828/sources-top-high-school-player-jalen-green-enter-nba-g-league-pathway

That is a very interesting article they significantly changed the structure of the  NBA pathway program to compete against the Australian League model.

This new structure not only pays more it also is less risky the way the team is structured.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #25537 on: April 17, 2020, 12:15:04 AM »
You can sell him on being one of the Top 5 recruiting classes in America, the best at MU since Chones and Lackey were the same year with Allie.

This is a complete guess, but Karim Mane coming to Marquette should make that a top 3 class in the country and the best MU has had since the Al days no?

3 top 100 forwards and 2 top 50 guards is an elite class. Two players in the overall top 35 from their class. Three guys with legit NBA aspirations as of right now. I’ve definitely never seen something of that ilk at Marquette.

You could start a full lineup of with just the new class and finish in the top 3 in the BE imo.
DJ Carton
Karim Mane
Justin Lewis
Osasere Ighodaro
Dawson Garcia

Would get beat up inside defensively but man that would just be amazing

SaveOD238

• All American
« Reply #25538 on: April 17, 2020, 07:00:29 AM »
If after getting Carton we can also lock upon Mane, it would go a long way towards proving the "guards aren't coming to Marquette because they'd be blocked by Markus" theory.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #25539 on: April 17, 2020, 07:41:34 AM »
This is a complete guess, but Karim Mane coming to Marquette should make that a top 3 class in the country and the best MU has had since the Al days no?

3 top 100 forwards and 2 top 50 guards is an elite class. Two players in the overall top 35 from their class. Three guys with legit NBA aspirations as of right now. I’ve definitely never seen something of that ilk at Marquette.

You could start a full lineup of with just the new class and finish in the top 3 in the BE imo.
DJ Carton
Karim Mane
Justin Lewis
Osasere Ighodaro
Dawson Garcia

Would get beat up inside defensively but man that would just be amazing

Agreed. No excuses next year if the roster is this stacked.

Also I don't think they count transfers in the recruiting class rankings, could be wrong though. And Mane is generally under-ranked by a small to not-so-small amount, so his inclusion wouldn't move the needle a ton on paper.

But in reality, it would be a top 5 type influx of talent, agree with you there.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2020, 07:44:02 AM by Ellenson Family Reunion »

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #25540 on: April 17, 2020, 07:42:32 AM »
Agreed. No excuses next year if the roster is this stacked.

Well, they will be pretty young.  The Big East is an old man's league and we don't have much scoring coming back.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #25541 on: April 17, 2020, 07:44:39 AM »

Well, they will be pretty young.  The Big East is an old man's league and we don't have much scoring coming back.

Damn, it only took 90 seconds for the youth excuse!

dad's couch

• Starter
« Reply #25542 on: April 17, 2020, 07:51:37 AM »
How stacked is it? From the five guys you mentioned I see they have scored a total of zero point and zero rebounds in their college career except for Carton. Although every recruit ALWAYS live up to their billing so you are probably right. And I guess those five guys are way better than the guys Villanova and Creighton have coming back.

I'll play your game then. Since five of our most impactful players are all a total of a semester and half experience I see no reason why this team should be better than 11th. Any finish higher than that would be a masterful job by Wojo and his staff.

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #25543 on: April 17, 2020, 07:54:27 AM »

10 years to judge

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #25544 on: April 17, 2020, 08:01:41 AM »

It's not really an excuse.  Wojo is responsible for the performance of the team regardless of the circumstances at this point.  I'm just not expecting big things, and that's on Wojo.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #25545 on: April 17, 2020, 08:03:33 AM »

I tend to agree with your thinking here but there is enough veteran guys that asking them to pick up some of the scoring loss shouldn’t be a big ask.  Bailey and McEwen need to shoulder some of that.  They’ve shown enough flashes they can.  Will they be consistent enough is a legitimate concern.

Carton, should he be eligible, is going to have a lot of freedom to score the ball.  He does bring some experience, albeit not a ton but Ohio player a tough non-con and he got some Big 14 experience and it was the best league in the nation.

There’s a school of thought that teams that lose a ball dominant scorer can be better as they tend to be less deferential and more aggressive.  Time will tell.
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #25546 on: April 17, 2020, 08:21:30 AM »
I think it's fair to be excited about the possibility of landing Mane, but we should also have realistic expectations about what he can produce.  People tend to see "NBA prospect" and think they'll come in and dominate in every facet of the game.  Projected one-and-done and former MU target Quentin Grimes scored 8 ppg while shooting 34% from three, having a 12% assist %, and a 18% turnover % his Freshman year.  For reference, that's fewer points, higher shooting %, significantly lower assist % and a better TO% than Koby last year, who a lot of people are convinced is a dud.  Don't get me wrong, I want Mane, I think he would be a solid addition to the team, but he's not going to be Stockton out there from the word go.
I'll stick with my opinion on Gold.  He'll be in foul trouble within the first eight minutes.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #25547 on: April 17, 2020, 08:32:43 AM »
How stacked is it? From the five guys you mentioned I see they have scored a total of zero point and zero rebounds in their college career except for Carton. Although every recruit ALWAYS live up to their billing so you are probably right. And I guess those five guys are way better than the guys Villanova and Creighton have coming back.

I'll play your game then. Since five of our most impactful players are all a total of a semester and half experience I see no reason why this team should be better than 11th. Any finish higher than that would be a masterful job by Wojo and his staff.

Crean, who I don't consider to be a very good coach, was able to take a lesser recruiting class, senior Novak + Joe Champman & Dan Fitzgerald to a 4th place finish out of 16 teams. Carton/Mane/Garcia/Oso/Lewis would be significantly better than the 3 amigos haul on paper, and Bailey/Cain/Theo/Symir/Elliott are better than everyone but Novak from the '06 team.

Third out of 11 vs. 4th out of 16. Not unrealistic, and we should not expect anything less if that is our roster. Which is a good thing! By the way, that would be finishing behind Nova & Creighton, so that straw man does not apply.

dad's couch

• Starter
« Reply #25548 on: April 17, 2020, 08:51:41 AM »
In a vacuum yes. But there are so many other variables. Are some BE recruits under ranked? Are our guys over ranked? What do other teams have coming back? Some players make huge strides in a year for a variety of reasons. Some take a step back like Cheatham did. Experience does matter in college hoops. Duke and Kentucky. Duke arguably has a top 1-4 class every year but hasn't been to a Final Four in four seasons (not counting this year). Same with KY.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #25549 on: April 17, 2020, 10:28:34 AM »
https://247sports.com/college/basketball/recruiting/Article/Karim-Mane-Marquette-Michigan-State-Pittsburgh-Memphis-DePaul-146162622/

Marquette: The main thing is right now they signed a guard not too long ago but they told me the plan for me still hasn’t changed, it’s the same thing except now you’re going to play with better players, it’s still not sure if he will be available to play but even if he is that the plan they have for me does not change. What I like about them is the opportunity that’s right there and front of my eyes in terms of replacing Markus [Howard] and then after that just the style of play, people who are there, I feel like they’re good people.
Michigan State: I like the fact that the coaches have been through it all and the coach knows what he’s talking about at all times and even for them I have a big opportunity to come in right away and have a big role on the team so I like that too. Opportunities is the main thing for me obviously so that’s one of the things I’m looking at Michigan State, Marquette and all of the schools I’m looking at, they all have it. So that’s one of the things
Memphis: I really like how they play, the coaching staff obviously have all been in the pro game so they know what they’re talking about and what it takes to get you to the next level.
DePaul: For them it’s the situation basically. They want me to come in and have a big role because they need me. For them, I would come in and have a starting role right away and play alongside Charlie Moore and I’d have the ball in my hands more around the two. The plan they have for me is interesting.
Pittsburgh: Pittsburgh reached out not too long ago but their main pitch to me is just that they want me to come in and have a big role on the team. They didn’t specify that I would have a starting role or anything like that but they just view me as a player that would prosper in their style of play and situation.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

feedback