Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Recruiting as of 5/15/24  (Read 8757089 times)

SaveOD238

• All American
Re: Recruiting as of 2/15/20
« Reply #24850 on: March 02, 2020, 08:53:34 PM »
OD whats the chances he goes to MU?

I talked to Tyrese briefly in the hallway today.  Told him I'd heard about the offer and congratulated him.  I asked if he was excited and he said yeah, but he's not a kid to show a ton of emotion.  He said it was his 14th offer.

Based on my earlier conversations with Tyrese, he has indicated that MU is one of, if not his favorite, potential destination.  Sounds like he goes frequently to games since he's had several unofficial visits.  Family (he lives with his brother since both of his parents have passed) is important and no where is closer to home than MU.  Coach Bennett thinks highly of MU and was a grad assistant in Crean's last year (which explains the early TAMU offer from Buzz).

It also helps that he walks past Marquette flags in a half dozen classrooms, mine included, daily.  If I had to guess, I'd give us at least a 60% of landing Tyrese.

Markusquette

• All American
« Reply #24851 on: March 02, 2020, 09:49:54 PM »
I talked to Tyrese briefly in the hallway today.  Told him I'd heard about the offer and congratulated him.  I asked if he was excited and he said yeah, but he's not a kid to show a ton of emotion.  He said it was his 14th offer.

Based on my earlier conversations with Tyrese, he has indicated that MU is one of, if not his favorite, potential destination.  Sounds like he goes frequently to games since he's had several unofficial visits.  Family (he lives with his brother since both of his parents have passed) is important and no where is closer to home than MU.  Coach Bennett thinks highly of MU and was a grad assistant in Crean's last year (which explains the early TAMU offer from Buzz).

It also helps that he walks past Marquette flags in a half dozen classrooms, mine included, daily.  If I had to guess, I'd give us at least a 60% of landing Tyrese.

Thank you sir.

WarriorPride68

• All American
« Reply #24852 on: March 02, 2020, 10:04:37 PM »

It also helps that he walks past Marquette flags in a half dozen classrooms, mine included, daily.

Instant classic

🏀

• All American
« Reply #24853 on: March 02, 2020, 11:04:41 PM »
Tell the DNC we are nothing but Des Moines!

DM is a great time. Very underrated.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #24854 on: March 03, 2020, 10:11:27 AM »
DM is a great time. Very underrated.

Talk about a brand that died, Drake University, never came back to the heights of the early 70's, yes, I have been there
nice small town.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #24855 on: March 03, 2020, 11:20:00 AM »
Great writeup on Tyrese Hunter today:

It’s the time of year where we are starting to identify guys that could see their stock soar during the spring and summer months. Currently ranked No. 96 nationally in the class of 2021, Racine (Wisc.) St. Catherine’s point guard Tyrese Hunter just might be one of those guys.

Set to run in Nike’s EYBL with Milwaukee-based Phenom University-Team Herro, Hunter has led his team to a 22-0 record while averaging 21 points. 6.7 rebounds, 3.7 assist and 3.0 steals per game.

Those numbers have earned him offers from Bradley, DePaul, Illinois-Chicago, Loyola-Chicago, Marquette, Miami (Ohio), Minnesota, Murray State, South Dakota State, Texas A&M, UC Davis, Wisconsin-Milwaukeea and Wright State. Of those he’s been on campus unofficially at Loyola, Marquette, Miami and Wright State. More recently, Alabama, California, Kentucky, Missouri and UNLV among others have been in touch.

He has quickness, he can shoot and he’s going to get every chance to move up the rankings and offer boards. Antonio Curro of NY2LA Sports and Phenom U is certainly a believer.

“Tyrese Hunter is on the cusp of taking off nationally,” Curro told Rivals.com. “He's a high character young man with an exceptional work ethic who is very coachable. He has explosive athleticism and quickness that he pairs with excellent handles, nice vision, an ability to score at each level, and high-level defensive ability both on and off the ball.

“He's a fierce competitor who brings it every night on both ends of the court and he's pound for pound one of the most explosive pure athletes in the country. He's a potential top 25-50 national lead guard with McDonald's and Jordan Brand All-American potential. He will be one of the most exciting players in the Nike EYBL this upcoming spring and summer.”

https://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/news/three-point-play-josh-christopher-yoeli-childs-tyrese-hunter
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #24856 on: March 03, 2020, 11:22:42 AM »
Per Evan Daniels from Friday:

Things haven’t changed on Karim Mane’s timeline. There are multiple decisions for him to make – college or NBA Draft? And then if college, which college? My gut says that Mane opts for college and if I had to pick a school today it would be Marquette. But Mane has maintained to 247Sports that he won’t make any decisions about his future or even potential new visit dates until after his high school season, which ends March 21. We’ll see something come to fruition once that timeline passes. It also wouldn’t surprise me to see Mane gauge feedback from NBA executives during the pre-draft process.

Unrelated to Mane, Caleb Furst committed to Purdue, so he can be removed from the board
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #24857 on: March 03, 2020, 11:25:45 AM »
Per Evan Daniels from Friday:

Unrelated to Mane, Caleb Furst committed to Purdue, so he can be removed from the board

Mane + best available grad transfer big + best available sit out transfer is the best use of the three remaining schollies, IMO. 
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

Aircraftcarrier

• Team Captain
« Reply #24858 on: March 03, 2020, 11:29:30 AM »
As long as Mane can play some point and handle the ball,because if Torrence gets injured season will be over.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #24859 on: March 03, 2020, 12:24:37 PM »
As long as Mane can play some point and handle the ball,because if Torrence gets injured season will be over.

#fakenews
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Markusquette

• All American
« Reply #24860 on: March 03, 2020, 12:38:43 PM »
Is there a chance Dawson or Oso may see some time as a point forward next year?

Aircraftcarrier

• Team Captain
« Reply #24861 on: March 03, 2020, 12:45:06 PM »
Fake news.Just like when Keith Stewart was kicked off the team and Logtermann had to play point or when Travis went down and Markus Jackson was the main ball handler.Those were some great times.I guess you are counting on Koby McEwen again next year.The most important position on the team is PG and MU is lacking big time.I repeat if Torrence goes down the season will be over without a capable replacement

TedBaxter

• All American
« Reply #24862 on: March 03, 2020, 12:45:35 PM »
Dexter Akanno played point most of the time at Blair Academy last year, so he may be able to help some.
If You Aren't All In For Marquette Basketball, Move On

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #24863 on: March 03, 2020, 01:07:31 PM »
Is there a chance Dawson or Oso may see some time as a point forward next year?

No.  But they will be able to grab the defensive rebound and start the break themselves at times.

Koby will play point as will Symir.  Greg and Dexter (and if we get Karim, Karim as well) will be the depth we need.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #24864 on: March 03, 2020, 01:12:56 PM »
Koby will play point as will Symir.  Greg and Dexter (and if we get Karim, Karim as well) will be the depth we need.
I think we all need to prepare for a .500 season next year.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #24865 on: March 03, 2020, 01:17:03 PM »

I doubt that, I'd expect more of a Henry Ellanson type of year. Decent, purple bug wins to smile at, overall positive record for the books but nothing to hang your hat on.
Maigh Eo for Sam

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #24866 on: March 03, 2020, 01:22:16 PM »
Depends hoos coachin' da teem, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #24867 on: March 03, 2020, 01:22:43 PM »

Maybe.  There will be a lot of shots opening up.  The hope would be Symir makes a big freshman to sophomore leap and can be the lead guard, which could let Koby move off the ball and play more of a Sacar type of role, and if you can get either Cain or Bailey to find some sort of consistency I think there's a chance the team will be in the Tournament again next year.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #24868 on: March 03, 2020, 01:29:54 PM »
Maybe.  There will be a lot of shots opening up.  The hope would be Symir makes a big freshman to sophomore leap and can be the lead guard, which could let Koby move off the ball and play more of a Sacar type of role, and if you can get either Cain or Bailey to find some sort of consistency I think there's a chance the team will be in the Tournament again next year.

If we're in the tourney next year, then I'm team Wojo moving forward.  It's not an impossible task but it's gonna take some coaching up. 
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #24869 on: March 03, 2020, 01:52:07 PM »

Meh. 

McEwen, Bailey, Torrence, John, Elliott, Cain, Dawson, Lewis, Oso, Akanno is a decent start.

Get Mane and a legit grad transfer and this team should be about the same as this year recordwise IMO. 
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #24870 on: March 03, 2020, 01:54:56 PM »
If we're in the tourney next year, then I'm team Wojo moving forward.  It's not an impossible task but it's gonna take some coaching up.

What happens if they get Mane?  Would not be impossible then, just means the Frosh will have to play and play well.  I expect Dawson to be very good next
year with Mane.  Then build with the rest of the players, they should be more balanced next year and maybe Koby will be improved, can not be worse.  Truly,
if they get Mane I would have no problem with Koby transferring.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #24871 on: March 03, 2020, 02:00:18 PM »
The year I'd be more concerned about is two years from now. Next year we still have a very experienced team with at least 1 ready contributor. The year after we could potentially lose 4 graduates, and potentially Dawson if he's as good as it seems most McDonald's all Americans seem to be now days.

Not a huge fan of the leftovers unless Bailey comes out looking like his dad next year.
Maigh Eo for Sam

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #24872 on: March 03, 2020, 02:06:52 PM »

It will take some coaching up, but it will also just take a couple players taking advantage of the opportunity that's in front of them.  I think Koby will be much better next year than he has been this year.  I don't think the role he is in now plays to his strengths vey well.  I think Brendan can be more consistent just with more looks for him.

Personally, while I'm a "Projo" on here, it's simply because I'm a Marquette fan and want Marquette to do well, so I thus want Wojo to do well, since he's the one driving the bus for Marquette.  I didn't think this year's team was going to be very good going into the season.  I thought we'd be a bubble team.  I think the same of what we'll have going into next season.

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #24873 on: March 03, 2020, 02:12:34 PM »
Fake news.Just like when Keith Stewart was kicked off the team and Logtermann had to play point or when Travis went down and Markus Jackson was the main ball handler.Those were some great times.I guess you are counting on Koby McEwen again next year.The most important position on the team is PG and MU is lacking big time.I repeat if Torrence goes down the season will be over without a capable replacement

Whos better logterman, jackson or mcewen?
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #24874 on: March 03, 2020, 02:13:27 PM »

Not a huge fan of the leftovers unless Bailey comes out looking like his dad next year.

Maybe BB will be able to hit the High Notes that year.
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust