'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

2024 Coaching Carousel by willie warrior
[Today at 03:50:16 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 01:02:54 AM]

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by CountryRoads
[Today at 12:05:42 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[March 28, 2024, 08:47:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Recruiting as of 3/15/24  (Read 8340071 times)

tower912

• All American
Re: Recruiting as of 6/15/19
« Reply #18300 on: June 24, 2019, 01:38:31 PM »
Ja Morant did exactly that, guru.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #18301 on: June 24, 2019, 01:46:24 PM »
Have to say very disappointed in the Garcia news. Heard a lot of chatter on here and thought we were going to land him a couple of months ago. I have been a defender of Wojo's recruiting and not ready to throw in the towel, but not overly optimistic that 2020 class is going to match the lofty expectations some on here believed.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #18302 on: June 24, 2019, 01:51:26 PM »
Have to say very disappointed in the Garcia news. Heard a lot of chatter on here and thought we were going to land him a couple of months ago. I have been a defender of Wojo's recruiting and not ready to throw in the towel, but not overly optimistic that 2020 class is going to match the lofty expectations some on here believed.
The only way to get good candidates is to try and compete for them. I give credit to the staff for working and being in the game. It always helps to be associated with good talent .

We also have to be in the mix with the kids who will actually commit to MU. So by my way of thinking , we should be putting our priorities on the RJ Davis's of the world who are going to be choosing between us and similar schools. 
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #18303 on: June 24, 2019, 01:54:55 PM »
The goal of recruiting like a blueblood is silly and unrealistic.

The goal should be to win based on the best players you can get. That's what Tony Bennett has done......Few.....Wright......Beilein......Huggy....Bo...etc. None of them have recruited like a blue blood.....

Lots of good players......if you recruit 4 star guys....some will blowup and become 5 star guys and you will lose most of them........build a culture.....don't cheat....have stability.....and incrementally improve.....

No shortcuts.......

Ps I'm not going to turn this into a discussion of the state of MU's program........do it in one of the other threads.....if that is your thing.......I'm here to get and share information.....

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #18304 on: June 24, 2019, 02:00:39 PM »

The goal should be to win based on the best players you can get. That's what Tony Bennett has done......Few.....Wright......Beilein......Huggy....Bo...etc. None of them have recruited like a blue blood.....

Lots of good players......if you recruit 4 star guys....some will blowup and become 5 star guys and you will lose most of them........build a culture.....don't cheat....have stability.....and incrementally improve.....

No shortcuts.......

Ps I'm not going to turn this into a discussion of the state of MU's program........do it in one of the other threads.....if that is your thing.......I'm here to get and share information.....

One of the things that we don't know , is how hard MU is actually going after

No shortcuts.......

Pretty much what I am saying. Wojo does a good job of targeting players. As you point out some will blow up and that is life. Jordan Nwora was a great example of this a few years ago. Mu was  in early on, the mother liked our academics etc, but when Louisville showed up it was game over.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #18305 on: June 24, 2019, 02:12:40 PM »
That's all well and good, but sooner or later in order for the program to get to the next level, you MUST beat out blue bloods, for kids like this. You have put in more work, recruited him longer, you have done everything necessary. It shouldn't be that a blueblood that hasn't spent near as much time as you have on someone, "swoop" in after you have a gazillion offers already, and offer you and that's where you end up going.

Someday, I hope, some kid will put a blueblood in it's place when something like this happens..Say something along the lines of when asked about that Duke offer "You know, they waited so long to offer me, the other Coaches have put in their time and done a great job recruiting me, schools xxx are my leaders. If Duke really wanted me, why weren't they there from the beginning"?? All it takes is one kid to say something like that.

Regardless...you have to win some of these battles once in awhile to ultimately become one of them.

The problem is your version of sooner is different than others.  It’s a slow climb.  It took years for some of the programs you have mentioned, Gonzaga, etc, to get those kind of guys.  Will you have the patience?

I suspect, no.  And that is part of the problem of being a legacy with success.  If you never had it, then patience is doable.  If you tasted it in the past, you want it again and your patience level is shorter. 
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

muguru

• All American
« Reply #18306 on: June 24, 2019, 02:19:41 PM »

I agree with you 100%, and I think the late offers MU has been giving out is an indication of just that. It's disappointing, I really thought Wojo's recruiting would be exceptional at this point. It just hasn't been. I was wrong on that one. 2020 is such an important class too. Hopefully it still works out, but at this point, it's hard to be optimistic.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #18307 on: June 24, 2019, 02:33:50 PM »
Will you have the patience?

Sure, as long as by patience, you mean it happens now.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #18308 on: June 24, 2019, 02:38:42 PM »
The problem is your version of sooner is different than others.  It’s a slow climb.  It took years for some of the programs you have mentioned, Gonzaga, etc, to get those kind of guys.  Will you have the patience?

I suspect, no.  And that is part of the problem of being a legacy with success.  If you never had it, then patience is doable.  If you tasted it in the past, you want it again and your patience level is shorter.

If you happened to win the lottery, would you want your millions sooner rather than later?? Or, if they told you that for whatever reason you couldn't have it for 10-15 years, would you be patient??

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #18309 on: June 24, 2019, 02:40:51 PM »
That's all well and good, but sooner or later in order for the program to get to the next level, you MUST beat out blue bloods, for kids like this. You have put in more work, recruited him longer, you have done everything necessary. It shouldn't be that a blueblood that hasn't spent near as much time as you have on someone, "swoop" in after you have a gazillion offers already, and offer you and that's where you end up going.

Someday, I hope, some kid will put a blueblood in it's place when something like this happens..Say something along the lines of when asked about that Duke offer "You know, they waited so long to offer me, the other Coaches have put in their time and done a great job recruiting me, schools xxx are my leaders. If Duke really wanted me, why weren't they there from the beginning"?? All it takes is one kid to say something like that.

Regardless...you have to win some of these battles once in awhile to ultimately become one of them.
Kids are all about their NBA dreams. The teams that are big winners with big name coaches and have lots of kids in the NBA are going to get the best recruits.

Back in our glory days kids wanted to play for MU because we were bold and winning.

If MU wins the recruits will be there.

Otherwise we have to be smarter and luckier recruiting and that is a very hard thing to do.

---Al McGuire

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #18310 on: June 24, 2019, 02:57:39 PM »
If you happened to win the lottery, would you want your millions sooner rather than later?? Or, if they told you that for whatever reason you couldn't have it for 10-15 years, would you be patient??

The lack of patience has killed good things way too often in my opinion. 

I think your analogy is poor....winning the lottery means you won, the money is coming your way one way or another.  That is nothing close to comparable to whether your favorite team is winning fast enough for you.  One is unknown, the other is firmly known.

"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #18311 on: June 24, 2019, 03:22:36 PM »

What did you see on here that led you to believe that we would land him months ago?

What news with Garcia is disappointing?

What lofty expectations did you read here?
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #18312 on: June 24, 2019, 03:26:44 PM »

That is about as non-sensical a response as i think anyone could possibly come up with.  Guru, many of your posts cause me to simply shake my head, but that one takes the cake. Chicos is on ignore and he snuck in with a new screen name, may have to add you. I feel i am often dumber for reading your posts.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2019, 03:33:37 PM by Mr. Sand-Knit »
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #18313 on: June 24, 2019, 03:27:41 PM »
Why on earth would you be disappointed that a recruit we are targeting has been offered by a blue blood?  Does that not tell you that we were going after a top-level talent, which you have said repeatedly we need to do?  Makes zero sense. 

Why on earth would you put any stock in what somebody on here said?  Nobody here knows anything. 

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #18314 on: June 24, 2019, 03:32:40 PM »
I think you have to win on the court before those top recruits are going to be an ordinary occurance.  With the importance of our 2020 class i loved how we sat in Feburary, unfortunately the Hausers threw a tantrum and destroyed all team chemistry. 
That said we are coming off of an Ncaa appearance and a second place BE finish.  Hopefully Wojo can take that and the upward trend of his tenure and turn in a really solid class, but oh what could have been.
If anyone ever wants to question the importance of team unity just watch our last 8 games.  Its why i cannot understand those that wish the Hausers the best.  They s#it on the team, i wish them the worst.
Have a good day
« Last Edit: June 24, 2019, 03:34:25 PM by Mr. Sand-Knit »
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #18315 on: June 24, 2019, 03:44:01 PM »
New mantra=12 years ta judge derbye assurin' da coach has stability, wee kan goe up against blue bloods in recruitin', and da current fanbase dies off resultin' in a more patient group hoo don't no chit 'bout championship basketball and don't care, aina?
« Last Edit: June 24, 2019, 04:09:07 PM by 4everwarriors »
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

forgetful

• All American
Re: Recruiting as of 4/15/19
« Reply #18316 on: June 24, 2019, 04:00:14 PM »

Not to relitigate this, but I think you were the primary one that suggested we were going to land him, which was largely based on a simple misunderstanding of what others were saying (see below for one of a series of responses to you). Most were just enthusiastic that we were involved and being mentioned in interviews, no different than we are today.

Anytime you are talking about top 30 recruits, you are more likely to be left out, than to be the team that signs them.

You are the first person I have met who has said Dawson was pretty much a lock for us. He's a top target for us and we got an OV, but that's a long way from being a lock.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2019, 04:04:09 PM by forgetful »

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #18317 on: June 24, 2019, 04:01:50 PM »
What did you see on here that led you to believe that we would land him months ago?

What news with Garcia is disappointing?

What lofty expectations did you read here?

Both Garcia and Dainja were Mark Miller Crystal Ball (cristel bowel?) picks to come to MU. Mark is an alleged expert/insider so that would explain some of the optimism re both in recent months.

Dainja is now lost and Dawson is flirting with UK and KU. Disappointing.

In short, it looked like the 2020 class might be headed by a 5* PF and a 4.5* C. Not so much anymore.

withoutbias

• All American
« Reply #18318 on: June 24, 2019, 04:06:41 PM »

herein lies the problem with the meat eater bros of muscoop.  when a blue chip recruit like jalen suggs says that marquette along with 2 other schools are the front runners for him, or when a guy like nico mannion tweets hes down to 2 schools in mu and arizona, muscoopers share this information.  then muscoopers, rightfully, get excited about the possibility of a complete stud picking marquette over a number of blue blood programs.  not ONE person suggests that someone is a lock for marquette or that marquette got any sort of verbal commitment, just sharing what recruits literally are telling us and some excitement about it, all while knowing that beating out a blue blood is still going to be tough.  while this is going on all the meat eaters are silently sitting around just waiting to pounce, reading the shared tweets of the recruits themselves as scoopers claiming they have inside information on a kid committing to marquette.  and then when the blue blood wins out we get the condescending passive aggressive bs from the meat eaters, at which point the "slurpers" question why the meat eaters are so excited about marquette losing out on what wouldve been a ginormous get for the program which leads you to wonder if theyd rather see wojo, and thus marquette, lose because, well, it certainly seems that way.  and then the meat eaters get all defensive and play the victim card talking about how they were fans back when marquette were the warriors and the seats were full of real fans and al was allowed to be al and everyone is so soft now and how many miles they can hike with backpacks full of weights or miles they can swim or how tiny they make theo john look.

its tired.  its old.  and its sad.  but it certainly wont change.

ill take this all back if you can find one single post that says "marquette is going to land dawson garcia."  just one.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #18319 on: June 24, 2019, 04:14:16 PM »
Why on earth would you be disappointed that a recruit we are targeting has been offered by a blue blood? Does that not tell you that we were going after a top-level talent, which you have said repeatedly we need to do?  Makes zero sense. 

Why on earth would you put any stock in what somebody on here said?  Nobody here knows anything.

Let's say you were chasing after/pursuing your favorite celebrity crush..she likes you, but you aren't the only "offer" she has on the table. You have put in the work, pursuing her etc. This is a top level talent you are pursuing here....but, in the end, despite your best efforts, she chooses someone else..where did that get you?? Only one guy can say he landed her, and he's celebrating. Meanwhile, you(and the others that were chasing her for so long), came up empty handed, and now you have to go to your "fall back" option which is nowhere near as attractive as the celebrity you were just pursuing...basically you ended up having to "settle". What did chasing that celebrity crush for so long end up getting you?? Pretty much nothing, and in the end, because you didn't end up with her, all the pursuing you did meant absolutely nothing, other then you did end up with someone...the girl any average Joe could have, but she chose you because you were her best offer.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #18320 on: June 24, 2019, 04:18:49 PM »
Let's say you were chasing after/pursuing your favorite celebrity crush..she likes you, but you aren't the only "offer" she has on the table. You have put in the work, pursuing her etc. This is a top level talent you are pursuing here....but, in the end, despite your best efforts, she chooses someone else..where did that get you?? Only one guy can say he landed her, and he's celebrating. Meanwhile, you(and the others that were chasing her for so long), came up empty handed, and now you have to go to your "fall back" option which is nowhere near as attractive as the celebrity you were just pursuing...basically you ended up having to "settle". What did chasing that celebrity crush for so long end up getting you?? Pretty much nothing, and in the end, because you didn't end up with her, all the pursuing you did meant absolutely nothing, other then you did end up with someone...the girl any average Joe could have, but she chose you because you were her best offer.

There it is.  Shut down the thread....shut down the internets.

Oh boy is this good.

Bocephys

• All American
« Reply #18321 on: June 24, 2019, 04:23:20 PM »

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #18322 on: June 24, 2019, 04:29:38 PM »
That is why a lot of guys say go ugly early.
                       ---Al McGuire

muguru

• All American
« Reply #18323 on: June 24, 2019, 04:36:53 PM »
There it is.  Shut down the thread....shut down the internets.

Oh boy is this good.

You're damn right it's good, it is a spot on comparison.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #18324 on: June 24, 2019, 04:38:46 PM »
You're damn right it's good, it is a spot on comparison.

It’s so bad you are being mocked, but ok.  Similar to your Deane comparison to Wojo and other nonsense.  You are on a roll, don’t let me stop you big guy.

feedback