[Today at 09:11:45 AM]

Where is Marquette? by rocky_warrior
[Today at 09:10:49 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Spotcheck Billy
[Today at 07:22:54 AM]

Dallas bars tonite by Marquette Gyros
[Today at 06:59:41 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Recruiting as of 3/15/24  (Read 8340797 times)

Silent Verbal

• All American
Re: Recruiting as of 6/15/19
« Reply #18275 on: June 23, 2019, 04:14:39 PM »
Was Dainja an actual, legitimate target for us who we thought we could get, or just pie in the sky?  Like, did we appear in any of his “Top 5” lists or anything of that nature?

I’m just trying to figure out the level of disappointment in missing out on him.  The article someone posted in this thread recently on Dawson Garcia was not encouraging.  It seems like we’re throwing everything we have at him; he took his visit during the Nova game and Wojo offered to build the program around him, yet all he could talk about in that article was how excited he was to hear from Kentucky.  Have to think he’ll go blue blood if he gets an offer.

Suggs also seems like his recruitment is wide open, even though he listed us as a front runner.  My guess is he picks Gonzaga in the end.  Not sure how many more chances we’ll have to land a blue chipper for 2020.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #18276 on: June 23, 2019, 04:17:07 PM »
Was Dainja an actual, legitimate target for us who we thought we could get, or just pie in the sky?  Like, did we appear in any of his “Top 5” lists or anything of that nature?

I’m just trying to figure out the level of disappointment in missing out on him.  The article someone posted in this thread recently on Dawson Garcia was not encouraging.  It seems like we’re throwing everything we have at him; he took his visit during the Nova game and Wojo offered to build the program around him, yet all he could talk about in that article was how excited he was to hear from Kentucky.  Have to think he’ll go blue blood if he gets an offer.

Suggs also seems like his recruitment is wide open, even though he listed us as a front runner.  My guess is he picks Gonzaga in the end.  Not sure how many more chances we’ll have to land a blue chipper for 2020.

Danja was a legit target.  Would have been a good get for sure.  Disappointing losing him to Baylor.  That’s recruiting.  Highs and lows and always be recruiting, never stop
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #18277 on: June 23, 2019, 04:33:31 PM »

So you want to know if we were in a top 5 list for one guy, but then say that a guy who says we’re in his top 3 probably isn’t all that interested anyway and will land at Gonzaga?

The Garcia article was a UK source. He talked about Marquette in an article shorty before the UK article.

Chances are greater that we don’t land any specific kid than it is we do land any specific kid. There are a lot of schools recruiting these kids.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #18278 on: June 23, 2019, 04:56:16 PM »
But don't act shocked and offended that this comes up with a university with a long track record of improprieties, and a coach whose been suspended and had his program placed on probation for recruiting violations.

I'm not shocked. I literally said "MU fans are gonna accuse Scott Drew of cheating." I expected exactly this. But just like some players are bought, some aren't. Some are recruited legitimately. And I've always questioned the idea of "that program cheated and that's how they got the recruit from us." If that's the case that Dainja is on the take, and that was the motivation behind his recruitment, he or his handlers no doubt solicited offers from the other schools recruiting him. And as far as I can tell, we were still recruiting him. If a dirty recruit signs elsewhere and you were still after them, it sure looks like you're okay with being involved with dirty recruitments. Accusing a rival of cheating to get a recruit you were after indicates your own program is comfortable with the same type of cheating.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #18279 on: June 23, 2019, 05:03:47 PM »
I'm not shocked. I literally said "MU fans are gonna accuse Scott Drew of cheating." I expected exactly this. But just like some players are bought, some aren't. Some are recruited legitimately. And I've always questioned the idea of "that program cheated and that's how they got the recruit from us." If that's the case that Dainja is on the take, and that was the motivation behind his recruitment, he or his handlers no doubt solicited offers from the other schools recruiting him. And as far as I can tell, we were still recruiting him. If a dirty recruit signs elsewhere and you were still after them, it sure looks like you're okay with being involved with dirty recruitments. Accusing a rival of cheating to get a recruit you were after indicates your own program is comfortable with the same type of cheating.
I invested little energy on Dainja . question for those who did,is he a player a corrupt program will actually cheat for ?
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #18280 on: June 23, 2019, 05:05:31 PM »
I invested little energy on Dainja . question for those who did,is he a player a corrupt program will actually cheat for ?

He's ranked in the 40-50 range depending on the source. If Brian Bowen can get $100,000 then someone would definitely pay for a player as well-regarded as Dainja is.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #18281 on: June 23, 2019, 05:17:45 PM »
He's ranked in the 40-50 range depending on the source. If Brian Bowen can get $100,000 then someone would definitely pay for a player as well-regarded as Dainja is.

Was Bowen getting offered that when he was like a top 10 recruit or something?
Maigh Eo for Sam

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #18282 on: June 23, 2019, 05:21:51 PM »
Was Bowen getting offered that when he was like a top 10 recruit or something?

I think he was in the low teens to 20s. Fringe 5-star.

I mean, honestly, for some programs a 4-star or even high 3-star could be program changing enough to warrant buying them. I'm not saying he certainly wasn't bought, but that some automatically jump to that conclusion as though it's a given because he's from Minnesota and going to Texas seems like they are just telling themselves a narrative they want to believe.

If Marquette is getting beat routinely because other schools are paying more, there's probably a problem with the guys we are recruiting.

MomofMUltiples

• All American
« Reply #18283 on: June 23, 2019, 06:05:03 PM »
As we’ve known for a long time, kids choose other schools for lots of reasons. Doesn’t matter why. Next man up.

Counting the days until we actually have some basketball to talk about.
I mean, OK, maybe he's secretly a serial killer who's pulled the wool over our eyes with his good deeds and smooth jumper - Pakuni (on Markus Howard)

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #18284 on: June 23, 2019, 08:02:32 PM »
Mark Miller  tweeted:

"Former Bloomer standout 2020 WG Gabe Madsen (6-5), who now attends Rochester Mayo High School in Minnesota, is hearing from a load of NCAA Division I programs. Marquette coaches making Madsen a high priority along with many others."

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #18285 on: June 23, 2019, 08:13:01 PM »
I'm not saying he certainly wasn't bought, but that some automatically jump to that conclusion as though it's a given because he's from Minnesota and going to Texas seems like they are just telling themselves a narrative they want to believe.

Exactly. When a Markus from out west or Torrence from out east ends up in a place like Milwaukee do people assume things about MU? I don't.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #18286 on: June 23, 2019, 08:18:05 PM »
Interesting. A local 2022 kid commits to Kansas.
https://twitter.com/WisBBYearbook/status/1142889142080221184
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #18287 on: June 23, 2019, 08:20:50 PM »
Interesting. A local 2022 kid commits to Kansas.
https://twitter.com/WisBBYearbook/status/1142889142080221184
More of a TX kid.  He transferred to Washington earlier this year.

jonny09

• Team Captain
« Reply #18288 on: June 23, 2019, 08:21:23 PM »
Exactly. When a Markus from out west or Torrence from out east ends up in a place like Milwaukee do people assume things about MU? I don't.

Markus was a Stan Johnson relationship    Period. He does not end up at MU otherwise.  Was not a “Wojo” get. 

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #18289 on: June 23, 2019, 09:38:36 PM »
Markus was a Stan Johnson relationship    Period. He does not end up at MU otherwise.  Was not a “Wojo” get.

And Stan Johnson doesn't end up at MU without Wojo....so all of "Stan's gets" are "Wojo's gets" as well.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #18290 on: June 23, 2019, 09:45:01 PM »
Chances are greater that we don’t land any specific kid than it is we do land any specific kid. There are a lot of schools recruiting these kids.

This.

I am always a little disappointed when a kid who seems a legit target chooses to go elsewhere. I'm a fan. I want the best players at Marquette.

But I get over it. Just as a player can't dwell on a missed FT for the next 4 games, Wojo can't dwell on a missed recruit. He has to go on to the next one. And that's how I am.

It doesn't mean I want fewer great recruits. I just try not to get too uptight over things out of my control.

Idiocy ... for the reason TAMU perfectly stated.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #18291 on: June 23, 2019, 10:11:56 PM »

Wait ... are you suggesting an assistant coach-player relationship was crucial to landing a recruit?
Whoa.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #18292 on: June 24, 2019, 12:48:07 AM »

Could it possibly be because Marquette hasn't self punished its basketball program with its current head coach due to NCAA recruiting violations or had their program pop up in connection with just about every single player that has had their name brought up in the FBI NCAA cases?

Nah, of course it couldn't be because of that!
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #18293 on: June 24, 2019, 06:08:42 AM »
the feds recent bust of the pay to play programs has had to have put a little salt peter on the adidas of the b-bal world.  either recruits have to realize they're not in a "sellers' market right now or many of the schools have moved on to their "plan B's".  in any event, the amounts being thrown around has had to have chilled a little.  have to ask sean or book   
don't...don't don't don't don't

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #18294 on: June 24, 2019, 09:04:12 AM »
                       ---Al McGuire

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #18295 on: June 24, 2019, 09:45:50 AM »

Silent Verbal

• All American
« Reply #18296 on: June 24, 2019, 12:43:08 PM »
In more important news.....Kansas offered one of our top targets

https://twitter.com/dawson23lee/status/1143150005018124292?s=21

I was lucky enough to see the great standup comedian Mitch Hedberg perform live about a year before he died.  He didn’t have anything memorized and just came out with a list of jokes to read from.  When one joke was met with silence, he took a moment, got out a pen, and said, “Cross that one OFF the list!”  And he got a big laugh for it. 

I think that quote applies to Garcia and Marquette at this point.  On to the next one, I guess.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #18297 on: June 24, 2019, 01:12:43 PM »
I was lucky enough to see the great standup comedian Mitch Hedberg perform live about a year before he died.  He didn’t have anything memorized and just came out with a list of jokes to read from.  When one joke was met with silence, he took a moment, got out a pen, and said, “Cross that one OFF the list!”  And he got a big laugh for it. 

I think that quote applies to Garcia and Marquette at this point.  On to the next one, I guess.

I'm not ready to go,there yet.......just want everybody to be realistic and understand what we are up against .........hard to beat out the blue bloods but you keep trying while casting a wide net.......which Wojo has done in 2020.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #18298 on: June 24, 2019, 01:19:32 PM »
                       ---Al McGuire

muguru

• All American
« Reply #18299 on: June 24, 2019, 01:33:59 PM »
I'm not ready to go,there yet.......just want everybody to be realistic and understand what we are up against .........hard to beat out the blue bloods but you keep trying while casting a wide net.......which Wojo has done in 2020.

That's all well and good, but sooner or later in order for the program to get to the next level, you MUST beat out blue bloods, for kids like this. You have put in more work, recruited him longer, you have done everything necessary. It shouldn't be that a blueblood that hasn't spent near as much time as you have on someone, "swoop" in after you have a gazillion offers already, and offer you and that's where you end up going.

Someday, I hope, some kid will put a blueblood in it's place when something like this happens..Say something along the lines of when asked about that Duke offer "You know, they waited so long to offer me, the other Coaches have put in their time and done a great job recruiting me, schools xxx are my leaders. If Duke really wanted me, why weren't they there from the beginning"?? All it takes is one kid to say something like that.

Regardless...you have to win some of these battles once in awhile to ultimately become one of them.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

feedback