[April 19, 2024, 11:10:31 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by Scoop Snoop
[April 19, 2024, 09:34:36 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[April 19, 2024, 05:04:53 PM]

NIL Future by MU82
[April 19, 2024, 03:21:43 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Recruiting as of 3/15/24  (Read 8433004 times)

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
Re: Recruiting as of 5/15/19
« Reply #17925 on: June 09, 2019, 04:13:07 PM »
https://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=58792.0

it was locked immediately. wouldve been useful if the guru vs. the world debates couldve stayed in there but we all know they wouldnt have. guru finds a way to irrationally complain about every possible topic.

there should be a real underboard. the meat suckers and the guru can hyperventilate about the state of the program and leave those who simply want to root for the guys who want to be warriors to do so.
The underboard exists, is alive and well, beware of the underboard.....
Goal is National Championship

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #17926 on: June 09, 2019, 04:27:20 PM »
Guru no one has mid major expectations on here. You just seemingly have these fanciful and unreasonable expectations for this program. Marquette compared to all D1 schools is a top program. Maybe not top 10 but not to many notches down. Wojos recruiting has been pretty damn solid(on paper). Yes some guys didn't pan out, but keep recruiting the ranked kids and results will come eventually. Hell we were top ten last year and before the hausers left we were projected to be a top 5ish team next season so just what the hell man? Sorry the reality is we aren't just magically going to start pulling in Duke, KU, or Ohio St recruits consistently. Get over it.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #17927 on: June 09, 2019, 04:49:53 PM »
Guru no one has mid major expectations on here. You just seemingly have these fanciful and unreasonable expectations for this program. Marquette compared to all D1 schools is a top program. Maybe not top 10 but not to many notches down. Wojos recruiting has been pretty damn solid(on paper). Yes some guys didn't pan out, but keep recruiting the ranked kids and results will come eventually. Hell we were top ten last year and before the hausers left we were projected to be a top 5ish team next season so just what the hell man? Sorry the reality is we aren't just magically going to start pulling in Duke, KU, or Ohio St recruits consistently. Get over it.

And I have said, for the most part, I have liked  Wojo's recruiting. he has done a good job there. How come when I talk about wanting to be Elite and winning a National Championship, I get told my expectations are unreasonable?? But other people here have said they want Multiple National championships, and they don't get told that?? Same message, different messenger, that has to be it.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #17928 on: June 09, 2019, 05:21:23 PM »
And I have said, for the most part, I have liked  Wojo's recruiting. he has done a good job there. How come when I talk about wanting to be Elite and winning a National Championship, I get told my expectations are unreasonable?? But other people here have said they want Multiple National championships, and they don't get told that?? Same message, different messenger, that has to be it.

No. It's not about who the messenger is. It's not about how high your expectations are. It's about the timeline.  You want everything to happen RIGHT MEOW OR ELSE!
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #17929 on: June 09, 2019, 05:27:28 PM »
No. It's not about who the messenger is. It's not about how high your expectations are. It's about the timeline.  You want everything to happen RIGHT MEOW OR ELSE!

Where have I said that?? Would that be my preference that they have more immediate success?? Abso freaking lutley. Do I think they should have been more successful then they have been the last 5 years?? Yes. But I don't think I have ever once thought, or said that they should have won a National Championship these last five years, have I??

It's really about, for me, I want them to do it ASAP, so I know they did, and don't have to keep wondering if they will. I may not be around by the time they possibly win one again. Isn't it always better feeling to have the known than the unknown??

I don't like waiting in lines either..I don't like it taking a lot of time to get to my car after an MU game(I park as close as i possible can), I don't like waiting for ANYTHING. I have been that way since I was young. I have many other things I would rather be doing, than waiting for things...just the way I am.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2019, 05:33:48 PM by muguru »

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #17930 on: June 09, 2019, 05:30:02 PM »
It IS a problem regardless..I'm NOT deflecting anything..15 top 100's in 10 years..IS NOT enough as far as I'm concerned. Maybe it is to you and others, and that's okay. You don't win "multiple national championships" with only 15 top 100 recruits in 10 years. Now, there is an addendum to that..if you are getting say a top 25-50 recruit certain years, then it can maybe be pulled off...but if you are living in the "bottom" 100, that's not a recipe for multiple national championships. That HAS to, at some point, increase.

I mis spoke and said they had 15 top 100 recruits in 20 years..whether it's in half that time or not, it's STILL a problem as far as I am concerned, in regards to where i want to see this program go.

It's 18 in the last 10 years. And if we add in transfers, Jamil Wilson, Luke Fischer, and Ed Morrow, who all played 3 years at MU it is 21.

Ed Morrow was 53 on ESPN, and easily in the RSCI top 100.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #17931 on: June 09, 2019, 05:35:29 PM »
Can we save the arguments for a different thread please? I come here to share and receive recruiting information.....as I think most others do.

If I wanted to read complaints about the program I can do it in 20 other threads. My god this site is almost becoming unbearable.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #17932 on: June 09, 2019, 05:38:06 PM »
It's 18 in the last 10 years. And if we add in transfers, Jamil Wilson, Luke Fischer, and Ed Morrow, who all played 3 years at MU it is 21.

Ed Morrow was 53 on ESPN, and easily in the RSCI top 100.

Again I was using the Paint Touches tweet, they said 15 in the past 10 years..and I don't think transfers were included in that, just players that committed to MU out of high school. And they used RSCI 100.

Paint Touches
‏ @PaintTouches
Jun 4

But one thing I do think is particularly curious, despite not grabbing the elite talent, only 5 out of 15 RSCI top-100 #mubb players in the last 10 years have exhausted their eligibility at MU.

Paint Touches
‏ @PaintTouches
Jun 4

And I like to take the RSCI consensus because an aggregate is usually better than a single data point, but it isn't some foolproof marker. The second best #mubb recruit in RSCI's eyes since 1998 is Jajuan Johnson, ranked a 30. (Henry is tops at 9).

Paint Touches
‏ @PaintTouches
Jun 4

But don't take that as some marker of incoming doom. It had 0 RSCI top-100 recruits in the 2006, 2007, 2008 classes. There was so much existing talent (The Amigos) those years didn't require top classes.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #17933 on: June 09, 2019, 05:39:34 PM »
Can we save the arguments for a different thread please? I come here to share and receive recruiting information.....as I think most others do.

If I wanted to read complaints about the program I can do it in 20 other threads. My god this site is almost becoming unbearable.

Find some recruiting news and I'd be happy to talk about it. I love recruiting and following it, but...there isn't anything going on right now. I'd love to hear about a commit soon, but that's unlikely to happen.

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #17934 on: June 09, 2019, 05:39:44 PM »

you must be new here :D. Despite the fact you have 3000 posts

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #17935 on: June 09, 2019, 05:39:48 PM »

+10000

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #17936 on: June 09, 2019, 05:43:03 PM »
Again I was using the Paint Touches tweet, they said 15 in the past 10 years..and I don't think transfers were included in that, just players that committed to MU out of high school. And they used RSCI 100.

Paint Touches
‏ @PaintTouches
Jun 4

But one thing I do think is particularly curious, despite not grabbing the elite talent, only 5 out of 15 RSCI top-100 #mubb players in the last 10 years have exhausted their eligibility at MU.

Paint Touches
‏ @PaintTouches
Jun 4

And I like to take the RSCI consensus because an aggregate is usually better than a single data point, but it isn't some foolproof marker. The second best #mubb recruit in RSCI's eyes since 1998 is Jajuan Johnson, ranked a 30. (Henry is tops at 9).

Paint Touches
‏ @PaintTouches
Jun 4

But don't take that as some marker of incoming doom. It had 0 RSCI top-100 recruits in the 2006, 2007, 2008 classes. There was so much existing talent (The Amigos) those years didn't require top classes.

Paint Touches was also wrong. They are wrong on 2007 too, Mbakwe was in that class and 91 in the RSCI top 100.

And it is fine that you used faulty data from Paint Touches. But you have been corrected on here by numerous people and continue to use incorrect numbers.

Now I'll return to the normally scheduled recruiting programming.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #17937 on: June 09, 2019, 05:59:19 PM »
Where have I said that?? Would that be my preference that they have more immediate success?? Abso freaking lutley. Do I think they should have been more successful then they have been the last 5 years?? Yes. But I don't think I have ever once thought, or said that they should have won a National Championship these last five years, have I??

It's really about, for me, I want them to do it ASAP, so I know they did, and don't have to keep wondering if they will. I may not be around by the time they possibly win one again. Isn't it always better feeling to have the known than the unknown??

I don't like waiting in lines either..I don't like it taking a lot of time to get to my car after an MU game(I park as close as i possible can), I don't like waiting for ANYTHING. I have been that way since I was young. I have many other things I would rather be doing, than waiting for things...just the way I am.
Guru- I really like the fact you have high standards and you demand excellence now. Keep up the good posting  work and hopefully we have a great season this year.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

muguru

• All American
« Reply #17938 on: June 09, 2019, 06:09:19 PM »
Paint Touches was also wrong. They are wrong on 2007 too, Mbakwe was in that class and 91 in the RSCI top 100.

And it is fine that you used faulty data from Paint Touches. But you have been corrected on here by numerous people and continue to use incorrect numbers.

Now I'll return to the normally scheduled recruiting programming.

My last comment on this...regardless of whether it's 15 in 10 years or 18 in 10 years...to ME it's not enough...Strictly MY opinion(which I am entitled to), just as others are entitled to theirs.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #17939 on: June 09, 2019, 06:28:43 PM »

+1. I still go into the Hanging threads, but almost without fail now I see guru arguing with some Scoopers and just move to the next thread, only to see the same thing and move on, wash, rinse, repeat.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

muguru

• All American
« Reply #17940 on: June 09, 2019, 06:39:30 PM »
+1. I still go into the Hanging threads, but almost without fail now I see guru arguing with some Scoopers and just move to the next thread, only to see the same thing and move on, wash, rinse, repeat.

Don't blame me...people weirdly feel the need to respond to seemingly everything I post...Of course in disagreement. They must have a complex or something

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #17941 on: June 09, 2019, 07:12:47 PM »
Don't blame me...people weirdly feel the need to respond to seemingly everything I post...Of course in disagreement. They must have a complex or something

It must be everyone else and not u.  Fine, can i just ask you to post recruiting related information on this string only? You can argue with the reat of the board in every orher string.
Thx
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #17942 on: June 09, 2019, 07:31:24 PM »
So...uh...lets get this one back on the rails? Maybe make a "guru and the good ol days of perfection and never settling for less" thread and leave this one to solely talk about recruiting?
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

monkeyman34

• Starter
« Reply #17943 on: June 09, 2019, 07:39:16 PM »
So, who are we recruiting?  anyone yet for the '19-'20 season?  who are top guys we are focusing on for the '20-'21 season? K, Thx, Bye

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #17944 on: June 09, 2019, 08:11:00 PM »
It IS a problem regardless..I'm NOT deflecting anything..15 top 100's in 10 years..IS NOT enough as far as I'm concerned.

Okay...so let's actually break it down.

2009 (6): 3 Top-100 players (Cadougan, Maymon, Williams), 2 NJCAA All-Americans (Buycks, DJO), 1 sub-100 recruit (Mbao)
2010 (5): 2 Top-100 players (Blue, Jones), 1 NJCAA All-American (Crowder), 2 sub-100 recruits (Smith, Gardner)
2011 (3): 1 Top-100 players (Anderson), 2 sub-100 recruits (Mayo, Derrick)
2012 (3): 1 Top-100 player (Taylor), 1 NJCAA All-American (TJ Taylor), 1 sub-100 players (Ferguson)
2013 (5): 3 Top-100 players (Johnson, Burton, Duane), 1 NJCAA All-American (McKay), 1 sub-100 player (Dawson)
2014 (1): 1 Top-100 player (Cohen)
2015 (5): 3 Top-100 players (Ellenson, Cheatham, Heldt), 2 sub-100 players (Carter, Anim)
2016 (3): 3 Top-100 players (Bailey, Howard, Hauser)
2017 (4): 4 sub-100 players (Cain, Elliott, John, Eke)
2018 (1): 1 Top-100 player (Hauser)

So that's 36 recruits. Of those 36, by my count, 18 were top-100 players. Another 5 were JUCO All-Americans. I'm going to guess those are recruits we aren't complaining about, especially as 4/5 were really solid D1 players. So your gripe is with the 13 sub-100 players. So let's look at those:

Hits (6): Gardner, Derrick, Anim, Cain, Elliott, John

Gardner, Anim, & John way overdid expectations. Cain & Elliott were solid freshmen & at least look like solid role-players. I know some will argue Derrick, but he was a reliable role-player for 4 years. That's plenty for a 3-star recruit. It isn't his fault that he was forced into a larger role.

Push (3): Mayo, Carter, Eke

Mayo & Carter both had productive moments, but the potential they flashed largely went unrealized & neither finished their careers here. Eke the jury is still out on.

Misses (4): Mbao, Smith, Ferguson, Dawson

Only one lasted more than one season, and none made it to Christmas of their sophomore year. All were obviously overmatched at this level.

So basically, your entire gripe seems to be 4/36 recruits (11.1%) over the past 10 years that didn't work out. I mean, all four were disappointing, but they accounted for 5 total years of scholarships, so it's not like there was much invested in them.

Further, in that time we also added RSCI top-100s Jamil Wilson, Luke Fischer, Katin Reinhardt, Ed Morrow and sub-100s Trent Lockett, Matt Carlino, Koby McEwen, & Joseph Chartouny. I would argue that so far, 6 of those (all the top-100 players as well as Lockett & Carlino) were hits, Chartouny was a miss, and McEwen is currently a push. And all of those players used the rest of their eligibility at Marquette after committing.

So honestly, on the basis of 44 players, there are 5 that seem to have completely failed to meet your standards. Maybe the problem is less the players and more your standards. Also, it's worth noting that of the Wojo sub-100 recruits, Eke and Carter are the only two that aren't hits. Wojo has largely been hitting on his reaches & transfers. Of the 19 players he brought in, 10 were top-100 (including Morrow & Reinhardt) and of the other 9, most were quality adds (Anim, Cain, Elliott, John, Carlino, McEwen) with only Chartouny & Carter truly disappointing (again, jury out on Ike).

(And sorry, I've been busy at work and had most of this written earlier, but haven't had a chance to post until now, and I'm not letting the work go to waste.)
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #17945 on: June 09, 2019, 09:01:30 PM »
Niels Lane  was visiting Va Tech this weekend. He has done an unofficial with us, hoping we get an official this fall. In the meantime here is some recent highlights. The camera angle gives a good perspective of his game. Can do a lot of different things .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0Q48kM4do8
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

muguru

• All American
« Reply #17946 on: June 09, 2019, 10:09:43 PM »
Moved to different thread

« Last Edit: June 10, 2019, 06:59:54 AM by muguru »

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
                       ---Al McGuire

TheTulsaWarrior

• Starter
« Reply #17948 on: June 10, 2019, 09:24:09 AM »
Herm, you're a treasure in a wasteland. 

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #17949 on: June 10, 2019, 09:53:24 AM »
I see that others have jumped in in defense of the thread. Thank you.  I've been out of pocket some these last few days.  Stay on track guys.  I know we all (mostly) appreciate it.

feedback