[March 27, 2024, 10:24:36 PM]

UNLEASH THE POWER OF SCOOP!!! by TallTitan34
[March 27, 2024, 10:20:50 PM]

Best MU team since 1977 by Galway Eagle
[March 27, 2024, 09:47:04 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Hallmarq
[March 27, 2024, 09:09:04 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Take It To The Bank  (Read 59859 times)

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
Re: Take It To The Bank
« Reply #75 on: April 15, 2018, 09:29:43 PM »
At the risk of over simplification, I need to see more complete players. We're fun to watch, exciting even, but we have too many guys who do one thing well (or elite even) but have glaring holes elsewhere in their game. Sam was probably the only exception on last year's team, and even he is short on quickness/athleticism. Those 70s teams included guys like Meminger, Chones, Lackey, Bo, McNeil, Luke, Tatum, Butch, etc., etc., etc. Crean had guys like Wade and Wes, Buzz guys like JFB and Jae. Wojo has a ways to go to get us back to where we were under TC. After that, Buzz. Then the 70s. Not impossible, but there's a long way to go. Getting this grad transfer PG would be a nice step, but there would still be miles to travel IMO.
Player development is going to be essential for our program to have more complete players. Right now we have 4 guys on the roster who  with continued development could possibly be complete players with athleticism and skills. 3 of them Jamal, Greg and Theo  have to make the classic big transition from freshman to sophomore . The good news was they were very solid defensively as freshman and all showed signs of meaningful Offensive upside. The fourth player , Ed Morrow, has to make the standard transfer sitting out a year transition. The good news there was he made  solid progress from his freshman year to sophomore year at the Big Ten Level  and  Ed should now, after a year working out and being with team,  be in a position to take his game up another notch.  2019 recruiting class has to be full of players with similar attributes as the 4 listed above.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #76 on: April 15, 2018, 11:45:39 PM »
Well glad I didn’t take that to the bank....

Hopefully soon we will be closer to Duke tho
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #77 on: April 16, 2018, 06:35:25 AM »
Well glad I didn’t take that to the bank....

Hopefully soon we will be closer to Duke tho

Best players going into next season: Hauser, Howard, Morrow, Hauser

Best players from Wojo’s first season: Wilson, Carlino, Fischer, Anderson

Definitely closer to Duke than to 2014-2015 MU.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #78 on: April 16, 2018, 06:58:36 AM »

Don't you think it's a little bullish to be saying J Hauser will unequivocally be the 4th best player when he's been injured for a year and hasn't played a minute of College ball yet?
Maigh Eo for Sam

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #79 on: April 16, 2018, 08:26:33 AM »
Don't you think it's a little bullish to be saying J Hauser will unequivocally be the 4th best player when he's been injured for a year and hasn't played a minute of College ball yet?

No.

Look what his brother did as a frosh.

Then look at their respective rankings.

Then look at JayBee's LNH post: http://latenighthoops.com/joey-hauser-advanced-stats-adidas-uprising/#.WtSkMi7waUk

If healthy he'll likely be BEast freshman of the year

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #80 on: April 16, 2018, 08:48:18 AM »

Did you feel the same way about Henry before he played a college game coming off a broken hand?

IMO Joey won't be as good as Henry, and won't put up the scoring numbers that he did Freshman year (although I hope he can shoot the 3 ball better), but both kids are really good talents and I expect Joey to be a solid contributor next year.

DCHoopster

• Team Captain
« Reply #81 on: April 16, 2018, 09:48:08 AM »
Did you feel the same way about Henry before he played a college game coming off a broken hand?

IMO Joey won't be as good as Henry, and won't put up the scoring numbers that he did Freshman year (although I hope he can shoot the 3 ball better), but both kids are really good talents and I expect Joey to be a solid contributor next year.

Henry played on a team with no talent, Wojo let him him do whatever he wanted.  Joey has a team with talent especially at the 3 and 4.  He
will be a piece next year to add to the team.  A star, not as a freshman or maybe not till he is a junior.  Only have one ball and Markus can be
like a black hole.  Hope he is a efficient has his brother, if so, MU will be good.  As I can see Morrow, Joey and Sam playing together alot this
year.  More importantly, hope the Hauser boys are healthy enough to play.  That will take to fall to see if that is true.  If not I can see Sam redshirting.  If that is the case, Joey will see lots of time on the court.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #82 on: April 16, 2018, 09:55:17 AM »

“In two years we will be much closer to Duke then we were last year or for the rest of this year”

That 2 year window is currently up from when you made that comment.

Next years roster(which should be very solid) is not a part of this.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #83 on: April 16, 2018, 10:09:13 AM »
“In two years we will be much closer to Duke then we were last year or for the rest of this year”

People seem to be really bad at interpreting math on this site. The first two years under Wojo we were sub-90 teams on kenpom. The last two we were 40+ spots better than either of the first two. It may not be elite, but it's a hell of a lot closer to Duke than when we weren't even making the NIT.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #84 on: April 16, 2018, 10:16:10 AM »
I could not care less about what happened in the past, unless it was building a foundation for the future. This upcoming year should paint a solid picture of what it is to come in years to follow. If it looks Duke like, worth the wait. If not, we all should be disappointed.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #85 on: April 16, 2018, 10:23:17 AM »
Player development is going to be essential for our program to have more complete players. Right now we have 4 guys on the roster who  with continued development could possibly be complete players with athleticism and skills. 3 of them Jamal, Greg and Theo  have to make the classic big transition from freshman to sophomore . The good news was they were very solid defensively as freshman and all showed signs of meaningful Offensive upside. The fourth player , Ed Morrow, has to make the standard transfer sitting out a year transition. The good news there was he made  solid progress from his freshman year to sophomore year at the Big Ten Level  and  Ed should now, after a year working out and being with team,  be in a position to take his game up another notch.  2019 recruiting class has to be full of players with similar attributes as the 4 listed above.

I didn't expect that you'd be the guy to throw Eke under the bus.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2018, 10:25:45 AM by 4everCrean »
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #86 on: April 16, 2018, 10:38:08 AM »
I didn't expect that you'd be the guy to throw Eke under the bus.
I still like Ike but we don't know when he can return to conditioning and playing D1 level intensity .  So left him off the bus for now.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #87 on: April 16, 2018, 11:58:21 AM »
People seem to be really bad at interpreting math on this site. The first two years under Wojo we were sub-90 teams on kenpom. The last two we were 40+ spots better than either of the first two. It may not be elite, but it's a hell of a lot closer to Duke than when we weren't even making the NIT.

You seem to be bad at math.

In either form.

1. It’s 3 years right now.

2. Even if it wasn’t 3 years. Being in the NIT at 19-13 is much closer to a team missing the NIT at 20-13 then it is being a fu cking top 2 seed in the NCAA tourney.

The fact you would even try to argue otherwise has to be the dumbest thing I’ve ever read, literally.

That said, we are moving in a good direction. We are not even remotely close to being a perennial top 2 seed tho.

Good lord.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #88 on: April 16, 2018, 12:18:06 PM »

Right. Which is why I said this:

So what you’re saying is you made up your story? Got it. Thanks for confirming.

I’d say the results confirmed we were closer to Duke than the 13-19 first year record Wojo had due to an entirely bare cupboard Bazz left. So again, thanks for providing a quote that has nothing to do with what you claim I said. 2 years after that quote, which was coming off of a 13-19 season, we were an NCAA Tournament team losing to the same opponent Duke lost to a whopping one round earlier than Duke lost to them. So, that checks out. Appreciate it!

And this was stated:

Looks pretty spot on to me. Marquette in 2015 Kenpom was 93, in 2017 we were 32 and Duke was 14.

Should’ve taken it to the bank. Would’ve made some money.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Floorslapper

• All American
« Reply #89 on: April 16, 2018, 01:04:43 PM »
Right. Which is why I said this:

And this was stated:

Should’ve taken it to the bank. Would’ve made some money.

Except we made the tournament using the "empty cupboard" remnants from Buzz...

I do applaud your efforts to stand behind your clearly ill-conceived projection suggesting we'd be approaching the Al years once Wojo had all his own guys (which he did this year).

Now, I will say we were fun to watch.  So.  There's that.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #90 on: April 16, 2018, 01:16:21 PM »
You seem to be bad at math.

In either form.

1. It’s 3 years right now.

2. Even if it wasn’t 3 years. Being in the NIT at 19-13 is much closer to a team missing the NIT at 20-13 then it is being a fu cking top 2 seed in the NCAA tourney.

The fact you would even try to argue otherwise has to be the dumbest thing I’ve ever read, literally.

That said, we are moving in a good direction. We are not even remotely close to being a perennial top 2 seed tho.

Good lord.

So bad at math and reading comprehension. 2 years from that post we were in the NCAA tournament. In the third year we were a bubble team and in the NIT.

Also, the comparison was not that we would be closer to Duke than we were to Marquette in years one or two under Wojo but that we would be closer to Duke in year 3 and beyond than we were at the time of the post. Even if we were in the 80s on kenpom, we would be closer to Duke now than we were in Wojo's first two years. Frankly, any improvement from years 1 and 2 in years 3 and beyond would make that prediction accurate.

If we want to talk about things that are literally dumb, keep posting, you're doing a bang up job at displaying your own failings.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

GrimmReaper33

• Starter
« Reply #91 on: April 16, 2018, 02:12:24 PM »
Yea, I think it's pretty obvious the bold initial post about being close to Duke at this point clearly meant, we'll be within 50 spots of Duke on KenPom.    ::)

Wish I would've taken that to the bank three years ago!

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #92 on: April 16, 2018, 02:41:57 PM »
We are pretty much at the Rick Majerus level right now. Unfortunately, Dwayne Johnson could not stay eligible and so the Majerus era ended early and we didn't get to see it play out at MU. Hopefully , the story has a better ending this time around.
                       ---Al McGuire

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #93 on: April 16, 2018, 05:38:08 PM »
Except we made the tournament using the "empty cupboard" remnants from Buzz...

I do applaud your efforts to stand behind your clearly ill-conceived projection suggesting we'd be approaching the Al years once Wojo had all his own guys (which he did this year).

Now, I will say we were fun to watch.  So.  There's that.

What empty remnants? Duane Luke and JJJ? Karin Howard Sam and Rowsey were all as equally important or more so than any of the three leftovers.
Maigh Eo for Sam

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #94 on: April 16, 2018, 05:54:54 PM »
Yea, I think it's pretty obvious the bold initial post about being close to Duke at this point clearly meant, we'll be within 50 spots of Duke on KenPom.    ::)

Wish I would've taken that to the bank three years ago!

You should've.  You would've made some money and saved yourself the embarrassment of this post.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #95 on: April 16, 2018, 06:43:15 PM »
It's like people want Marquette to be bad so they can end up saying "I told you so."

Goose

• All American
« Reply #96 on: April 16, 2018, 06:51:10 PM »
Chi town

I really hope that is not true. Nothing would make me happier than Wojo taking program to high level. I would be waiting in line to say congrats. Don’t confuse frustration as hoping to be right. I am not sold he can do it, but hoping he does.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #97 on: April 16, 2018, 06:55:12 PM »
It's like people want Marquette to be bad so they can end up saying "I told you so."

It's actually nothing like that. To me, this whole "closer to Duke" stuff is silly. What I'd like to "take to the bank" is Wade's (and others) prediction that Wojo will take the program to a level not seen since the 70s. That's a bridge pretty far right now.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #98 on: April 16, 2018, 06:59:50 PM »
Lenny

I would love to see Buzz like success in near future. Truthfully, at this point the success is only seen by true optimists. I would be mildly optimistic if next year shows real progress. To talk about Al success is literally insane at this point. Trust me, I have lived a life dreaming big and hope that happens down the road. But, at this point it is silly to even debate.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #99 on: April 16, 2018, 07:19:20 PM »
Levels we haven’t seen since Al doesn’t = Al’s level.

feedback