[Today at 08:40:42 AM]

Maximilian Langenfeld by tower912
[Today at 07:24:54 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by WhiteTrash
[April 18, 2024, 09:34:43 PM]

MU Gear by TallTitan34
[April 18, 2024, 07:27:40 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Take It To The Bank  (Read 60344 times)

Lennys Tap

• All American
Re: Take It To The Bank
« Reply #100 on: April 16, 2018, 07:26:50 PM »
Levels we haven’t seen since Al doesn’t = Al’s level.

I understand and concede that. Al levels are unreachable given the landscape that is college basketball today. Crean and Buzz levels are what I rooting for Wojo to surpass. That's what those "in the know" predicted in 2015 according to your post. He's got a ways to go, wouldn't you say?

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #101 on: April 16, 2018, 07:45:42 PM »
I understand and concede that. Al levels are unreachable given the landscape that is college basketball today. Crean and Buzz levels are what I rooting for Wojo to surpass. That's what those "in the know" predicted in 2015 according to your post. He's got a ways to go, wouldn't you say?

Villanova is currently laughing at your statement that it's unreachable. It's unlikely to reach but give me the option of 67-77 success under Al or Villanovas last 10 years I'd take Villanova every day and not even hesitate. And as much pride as you old timers have in Al you're lying if you say otherwise
« Last Edit: April 16, 2018, 07:55:18 PM by BagpipingBoxer »
Maigh Eo for Sam

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #102 on: April 16, 2018, 08:10:56 PM »
I understand and concede that. Al levels are unreachable given the landscape that is college basketball today.

Bulls*it!!!!!!

It can happen if there is a commitment to make it happen. It means the right people in the right places with the right team.

I admit, it is harder today given the diversity of teams in college basketball. But it is possible. If Duke can do it. If Villanova can do it. Forgodssake, if UConn can do it, we can do it too.

I hope Wojo is the right guy. A point guard and a deep run into the NCAA and I might be convinced. Al didn't win everything every year, but we were a contender every year and we were in the discussion.

Chick is right, I don't see an "A" grade for our team until we make the Final Four again!

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #103 on: April 16, 2018, 08:25:28 PM »
Villanova is currently laughing at your statement that it's unreachable. It's unlikely to reach but give me the option of 67-77 success under Al or Villanovas last 10 years I'd take Villanova every day and not even hesitate. And as much pride as you old timers have in Al you're lying if you say otherwise
I would take our days with Al over Nova's current stretch. We were the clear number 2 program after the incredible UCLA program . The top teams in that period were also much more powerful on a relative basis than they are today, which further supports MU's greatness. Not taking anything away from Jay Wright and Company but we were just at a different level . We struck fear into the hearts of our opponents.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #104 on: April 16, 2018, 08:34:49 PM »
I would take our days with Al over Nova's current stretch. We were the clear number 2 program after the incredible UCLA program . The top teams in that period were also much more powerful on a relative basis than they are today, which further supports MU's greatness. Not taking anything away from Jay Wright and Company but we were just at a different level . We struck fear into the hearts of our opponents.

You realize since 2009 alone they have more final fours and championships than us in 101 years of basketball...

Can't fix stupid
Maigh Eo for Sam

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #105 on: April 16, 2018, 08:46:36 PM »
You realize since 2009 alone they have more final fours and championships than us in 101 years of basketball...

Can't fix stupid

Championships, yes. Final Fours, no.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #106 on: April 16, 2018, 08:49:13 PM »
Championships, yes. Final Fours, no.

Sorry had a few beers tonight. My bad
Maigh Eo for Sam

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #107 on: April 16, 2018, 09:54:43 PM »

I agree. He has a long way to go. And I am rooting for Wojo to surpass the success Crean and Buzz as well. Which I think starts this year. I think Wojo adds a quality lead guard this offseason and we’re a top 4 BE team that graduates only Matt Heldt. I expect a team that hovers around the top 25 throughout the year and the following year is a top 15 team. I have confidence from this year forward we will be worrying about what our seed is and not whether we get into the NCAA Tournament.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #108 on: April 16, 2018, 10:47:04 PM »
I agree. He has a long way to go. And I am rooting for Wojo to surpass the success Crean and Buzz as well. Which I think starts this year. I think Wojo adds a quality lead guard this offseason and we’re a top 4 BE team that graduates only Matt Heldt. I expect a team that hovers around the top 25 throughout the year and the following year is a top 15 team. I have confidence from this year forward we will be worrying about what our seed is and not whether we get into the NCAA Tournament.

Hope you're right. If so, all Marquette fan are in for a special stretch.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #109 on: April 17, 2018, 12:04:04 AM »

I agree with this, and I definitely hope for it.

Is it "possible" that we'll ever get back to Al level? Technically yes, but realistically no, and just about everybody understands that. The landscape is so different, it's almost like two different games.

Come join us, young Joseph. We are Marquette!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Floorslapper

• All American
« Reply #110 on: April 17, 2018, 09:43:43 AM »

Top 4 Big East team for next season looks like about a Top 40 team.  No Big East team other than Nova even projected in Top 25 per the Value Ad numbers.  Good news is that we are at 26, and per value add should finish 2nd in conference WITHOUT a grad transfer lead guard.

I'll be pleased if Wojo can reach the levels of success of Crean.  I don't expect he'll be able to reach Buzz levels, because I just don't believe he is a good in-game coach.  We will win with talent - good news is Wojo has done well in that department in identifying and landing players who could all contribute and play. 

But, the hyperbole of suggesting we can approach Duke or the 70s with Wojo as coach is absurd.  I don't see anything in the last 4-years that leads me to believe he can juice a few extra wins out of a team through pure X's and O's, strategy, in-game adjustments.

DCHoopster

• Team Captain
« Reply #111 on: April 17, 2018, 09:50:12 AM »
Top 4 Big East team for next season looks like about a Top 40 team.  No Big East team other than Nova even projected in Top 25 per the Value Ad numbers.  Good news is that we are at 26, and per value add should finish 2nd in conference WITHOUT a grad transfer lead guard.

I'll be pleased if Wojo can reach the levels of success of Crean.  I don't expect he'll be able to reach Buzz levels, because I just don't believe he is a good in-game coach.  We will win with talent - good news is Wojo has done well in that department in identifying and landing players who could all contribute and play. 

But, the hyperbole of suggesting we can approach Duke or the 70s with Wojo as coach is absurd.  I don't see anything in the last 4-years that leads me to believe he can juice a few extra wins out of a team through pure X's and O's, strategy, in-game adjustments.

Until he signs a Top 20 kid or Top 50 kid not from Wisconsin, he will flounder.  Al signed Top 10 kids and Coach K top 5 kids, and this year 3 of them.  Needs a break through kid, to bad on Grimes, he would have been huge.  Running to Texas all the time, it is great MU likes to spend money on fuel.  That is for sure.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #112 on: April 17, 2018, 09:51:52 AM »

Agree that Wojo isn't as good of an in game coach as Buzz, but he has shown improvement, which I think is very important.  His first year here, a lot of the time the offense was whatever Carlino or Duane could get by themselves.  Same his second year with Henry.

The fact that he is riding the hot hand more, shows his development in this area. Riding Sacar against CU, then coming back the next game and running multiple set plays for Sacar.  Still too much hero ball with AR and MH this year, but significantly less than we had when Carlino was here.  If Wojo continues to improve his in game adjustment (he's behind Buzz, but ahead of Crean IMO), he could become an above average in game coach in a coupe of seasons. 

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #113 on: April 17, 2018, 10:17:44 AM »
Until he signs a Top 20 kid or Top 50 kid not from Wisconsin, he will flounder.  Al signed Top 10 kids and Coach K top 5 kids, and this year 3 of them.  Needs a break through kid, to bad on Grimes, he would have been huge.  Running to Texas all the time, it is great MU likes to spend money on fuel.  That is for sure.

K only recently started stacking his classes with one & dones. McD's AA's yes, but it wasn't always 3-4 top 5/10 players per class. That was 30 years down the road.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #114 on: April 17, 2018, 11:01:05 AM »
People praising Buzz Williams' in-game coaching either have an agenda or an extremely selective memory.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #115 on: April 17, 2018, 11:04:05 AM »
People praising Buzz Williams' in-game coaching either have an agenda or an extremely selective memory.

Disagree.    Buzz was a better in-game coach than either Crean or Wojo.    Perfect?   No.    Came up with some good stuff?    Absolutely.    Especially in the E-8 run.    End game defense against Butler... showed Brad something he had never seen before and wasn't on tape.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #116 on: April 17, 2018, 11:10:25 AM »
Disagree.    Buzz was a better in-game coach than either Crean or Wojo.    Perfect?   No.    Came up with some good stuff?    Absolutely.    Especially in the E-8 run.    End game defense against Butler... showed Brad something he had never seen before and wasn't on tape.   

Cool. You picked one good adjustment. Select 10 more and then put it up against the 10-15 times he failed to make adjustments whilst his team lost double digit leads in the second half.

None of these coaches are great. None of these coaches are terrible. Claiming either side of that coin definitively reeks of an agenda or purposely ignoring half of the evidence.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #117 on: April 17, 2018, 11:16:18 AM »
Cool. You picked one good adjustment. Select 10 more and then put it up against the 10-15 times he failed to make adjustments whilst his team lost double digit leads in the second half.

None of these coaches are great. None of these coaches are terrible. Claiming either side of that coin definitively reeks of an agenda or purposely ignoring half of the evidence.

So a coach has to bat 1.000 in order to be good?  No one said Buzz was perfect, but IMO and many others he is better than both Wojo and Crean.  Wojo is getting better, which is why I think he can eventually be a better in game coach than Buzz, but right now, Wojo's resume of in game adjustments is not as good as Buzz's.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #118 on: April 17, 2018, 11:30:07 AM »

We basically agree, but view it differently.  I don't think Buzz was great.  I would grade him as a B-BC.  Crean a D.  Wojo C- incomplete.  IMO, of the 3, Buzz was better. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #119 on: April 17, 2018, 11:32:50 AM »

Buzz's coaching in the early going was rough, at best. I'll never forget how Brian Gregory of all people coached circles around him when MU played Dayton at the Sears Centre in Buzz' first year. And, at the risk giving Chico's reason to gloat, Stew "The Legend" Morrill made him look bad in the first game of the tourney that year.
But Buzz learned and got better every year, and is a solid (not great) in-game coach today.

Although the critics don't care to admit it, Wojo is on a similar trajectory. He's gotten better, and there's no reason to believe he won't continue to do so. And remember, he arrived at MU with less coaching experience and less head coaching experience than Buzz.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #120 on: April 17, 2018, 11:54:32 AM »
I never thought Buzz was an in game coach. Actually thought he was very weak. He brought other skills to the job.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #121 on: April 17, 2018, 12:12:01 PM »
No.

Look what his brother did as a frosh.

Then look at their respective rankings.

Then look at JayBee's LNH post: http://latenighthoops.com/joey-hauser-advanced-stats-adidas-uprising/#.WtSkMi7waUk

If healthy he'll likely be BEast freshman of the year
Love Sam, but if he was on Villanova as a freshmen he would of hardly played. The same goes for this year's freshmen. They played a lot more than they would have, if they were on a top 10 team. They got great opportunities, because the team was not great.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #122 on: April 17, 2018, 12:19:51 PM »
Sorry had a few beers tonight. My bad
Yeah, you are right. Can't fix stupid.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

WindyCityGoldenEagle

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #123 on: April 17, 2018, 12:23:51 PM »
I never thought Buzz was an in game coach. Actually thought he was very weak. He brought other skills to the job.

I thought one of his best in game attrtibutes was lengthening games down the stretch when we were trying to pull off a comeback in the final minutes. Fouling, substitutions, use of timeouts, play calling, etc in those scenarios were very solid imo.

Floorslapper

• All American
« Reply #124 on: April 17, 2018, 12:48:44 PM »

How about this:  With a team of 7 scholarships players and none over 6'6", Buzz decided to play at a slow tempo all season and played at 284th in country.  Shorten the game.  Smart.

Please just try to make ONE good point here Jersey guy.

Buzz's results speak for themselves.  Your continued hate for Buzz is comical, while trying to suggest Crean and Wojo are comparable coaches.

feedback