[Today at 02:25:52 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Frenns Liquor Depot
[Today at 10:35:42 AM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by withoutbias
[Today at 10:29:19 AM]

NM by tower912
[Today at 08:24:31 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Take It To The Bank  (Read 60399 times)

MUfan12

• All American
Re: Take It To The Bank
« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2015, 08:36:17 AM »
Correct. The only player on the team beyond Carlino that Wojo decided was worth a spot was Cohen, and even Cohen committed when Bert was our coach.

He wanted Shayok bad, but that ship had sailed with Brent.

But I agree with your original post. His teams will be a lot of fun to watch. Watching Heldt and Ellenson on Tuesday made me shake my head at the way Brent viewed recruiting. He would have never taken Heldt, and only had fleeting interest in Henry. But those two guys can play, and they know the game. Once the pieces are in place, MU will be a bitch to gameplan for. Guys at all 5 positions that can step out and shoot it, plus a good deal of size in the frontcourt. Can't wait.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2015, 08:39:16 AM »

But I agree with your original post. His teams will be a lot of fun to watch. Watching Heldt and Ellenson on Tuesday made me shake my head at the way Brent viewed recruiting. He would have never taken Heldt, and only had fleeting interest in Henry. But those two guys can play, and they know the game. Once the pieces are in place, MU will be a bitch to gameplan for. Guys at all 5 positions that can step out and shoot it, plus a good deal of size in the frontcourt. Can't wait.

#Respecttheprocess
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #27 on: January 02, 2015, 08:47:43 AM »

The way Buzz viewed recruiting got MU to an E8 and a BE conference championship.  Different priorities no doubt, but you can win all sorts of ways.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #28 on: January 02, 2015, 09:02:00 AM »
The way Buzz viewed recruiting got MU to an E8 and a BE conference championship.  Different priorities no doubt, but you can win all sorts of ways.

Very true. Maybe I should have said the way he recruited HS players. Those results were far more mixed once JUCOs weren't a real option.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #29 on: January 02, 2015, 09:48:54 AM »

I agree but did you ever feel with those guys we were a legit threat for the title? With all the JUCO AAs and POYs I still didn't see us ever getting to that level (not saying I wasn't overjoyed by our success) but at least now I could see us getting to that level in time with good player development.
Maigh Eo for Sam

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #30 on: January 02, 2015, 10:08:14 AM »
I agree but did you ever feel with those guys we were a legit threat for the title? With all the JUCO AAs and POYs I still didn't see us ever getting to that level (not saying I wasn't overjoyed by our success) but at least now I could see us getting to that level in time with good player development.

I pretty much view being in the final 8 and winning a major conference championship as a "legit threat for a title."  And rankings, optimism, and potential are nice, but that's a long way from on-court success.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #31 on: January 02, 2015, 10:40:04 AM »
A lot of silly posters around here crying about where we're at as a program and questioning Wojo's coaching. Some have said Wojo must think he can just show up and the Duke connection will just lead to MU becoming Duke. You can put all your money on 2 things. 1) Wojo isn't relying on any sort of past to get him to where he'd like to be in the future. 2) In 2 seasons we'll be much closer to Duke than we are to what we saw last season and what we'll see the rest of this season.

Take this season for what it is. A transition year. Wojo looks for different things in a player than what Bert did. Doesn't make 1 better than the other. Just different. There are different ways to win. You could tell from day 1 that a guy like Burton wasn't going to fly with Wojo if he didn't change his style of play. From the coming out and clearly being unhappy with the performance at Madness to the disgusted look on his face when Burton missed a crowd pleasing dunk while up about 50 vs. Wisconsin Lutheran College you can tell Wojo demands fundamental play from everyone regardless of whether it's a pickup game or a National Championship game. I, for one, am perfectly fine with that. Right now he has 1 player who Bert recruited that Wojo decided he could mold into a player he would like to see and a 1 year rental. Wojo chose more or less none of the players on this roster. I have heard from multiple people the sentiment of "just wait until he had his players in and he'll have this program where it hasn't been since the 70s." Maybe it's just Duke favoritism, but I have a feeling these people will be proven right. He has a vision and his first recruiting class shows he also has a plan.

This year will be more frustrating than any in a while. But after this we will see the transformation of a program. And it's going to be a joy.

R-E-L-A-X

I agree with much of this. I did not expect us to be good this year and I very much like what I've seen from Wojo as a coach, recruiter and representative of the university. Can he take our program to heights not seen since the 70s? That's a tall order, a steep hill to climb - but he's off to a very solid start.

It's not his fault that we shot it so poorly and turned it over so much down the stretch against DePaul. However, when we blow a 13 point lead in the final 11 minutes against a very weak opponent it's frustrating. It's even more frustrating when our team looks disorganized and back on their heels doing it. DePaul didn't really take the game or throw in a bunch of tough/desperation shots. In the last 11 minutes they made 1 of 4 3s, 1 mid range 2, 5 of 7 lay ups and 7 of 10 free throws and had 3 TOs. Meanwhile, we made 3 of 4 lay ups, 3 of 4 free throws, 0 of 8 3s and had 6 TOs. I think it's fair to ask the coaching staff why, with the game in our control, WE were the team launching 3s while our opponents shot lay ups and free throws. Shouldn't WE be the team attacking the basket and going to the line while we force our opponents to shoot desperation 3s to get back in the game? I'm relaxed and have no expectations for this year. I'm pretty much all in on Wojo. But I think the players and the coaches threw an easy W away on Wednesday.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2015, 10:43:34 AM by Lennys Tap »

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #32 on: January 02, 2015, 10:51:54 AM »

I pretty much view being in the final 8 and winning a major conference championship as a "legit threat for a title."  And rankings, optimism, and potential are nice, but that's a long way from on-court success.

While yes the elite 8 was great let's not pretend like we soared to it. Last second shot against Davidson, nearly a rotnie Clark repeat against butler then a beat down against Miami (that was awesome) but remember them ranking the sweet 16 teams? We were 15 ranking the elite 8 teams we were 8. I kinda felt like Xavier or Gonzaga in their respective elite 8 years they weren't really a threat to win it.

Now you're right rankings and on court success are worlds apart from eachother.  I just think based on what we have and are getting we have potential for a higher ceiling than before.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Tums Festival

• All American
« Reply #33 on: January 02, 2015, 11:04:21 AM »
A lot of silly posters around here crying about where we're at as a program and questioning Wojo's coaching. Some have said Wojo must think he can just show up and the Duke connection will just lead to MU becoming Duke. You can put all your money on 2 things. 1) Wojo isn't relying on any sort of past to get him to where he'd like to be in the future. 2) In 2 seasons we'll be much closer to Duke than we are to what we saw last season and what we'll see the rest of this season.

Take this season for what it is. A transition year. Wojo looks for different things in a player than what Bert did. Doesn't make 1 better than the other. Just different. There are different ways to win. You could tell from day 1 that a guy like Burton wasn't going to fly with Wojo if he didn't change his style of play. From the coming out and clearly being unhappy with the performance at Madness to the disgusted look on his face when Burton missed a crowd pleasing dunk while up about 50 vs. Wisconsin Lutheran College you can tell Wojo demands fundamental play from everyone regardless of whether it's a pickup game or a National Championship game. I, for one, am perfectly fine with that. Right now he has 1 player who Bert recruited that Wojo decided he could mold into a player he would like to see and a 1 year rental. Wojo chose more or less none of the players on this roster. I have heard from multiple people the sentiment of "just wait until he had his players in and he'll have this program where it hasn't been since the 70s." Maybe it's just Duke favoritism, but I have a feeling these people will be proven right. He has a vision and his first recruiting class shows he also has a plan.

This year will be more frustrating than any in a while. But after this we will see the transformation of a program. And it's going to be a joy.

R-E-L-A-X

This board is most definitely schizophrenic. After the Omaha game the world was coming to an end, yet after Arizona St. we're a threat to win 20 games and make the tournament. Now after Wednesday there are people wondering if we can beat any of the teams in the conference. It's both funny and sad. This year's team is part of a work in progress, both in terms of the coaches and the players. Just let it play out and keep the faith that the program is on the upswing.
"Every day ends with a Tums festival!"

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #34 on: January 02, 2015, 11:11:42 AM »
However, when we blow a 13 point lead in the final 11 minutes against a very weak opponent it's frustrating. It's even more frustrating when our team looks disorganized and back on their heels doing it. DePaul didn't really take the game or throw in a bunch of tough/desperation shots.

This was really difficult to watch. As DePaul clawed their way back in, we just looked out of sorts and on our heels. I mean, we controlled the game for 28 minutes, had it well in hand, then suddenly just went into a shell. Where was the confidence we had exuded building the lead in the first place? Poor defensive changes, too many threes, we played like we were getting taken behind the woodshed when most of the game we had them pinned there. Made very little sense and was really frustrating to see.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #35 on: January 02, 2015, 11:34:58 AM »
Wojo has demonstrated  that he is a good recruiter and certainly has the program in the right direction in that regard. Unfortunately , he has not demonstrated that he is anything more than an average game coach.  Also I don't think he understands how to motivate the kids on the team. In addition he has no flexibility.  He is going to live or die with Derrick and Carlino. Net result we have a mediocre team. I originally thought we would be a fun team to watch but that is not the case. These kids have no enthusiasm and look like they are playing out the string .

I consistently pointed out all summer long that my biggest concern was Carlino and his impact on team chemistry. Players generally don't like playing with selfish chuckers .  Wojo has done a terrible job managing this issue.  

And you can tell this based on a 8-4 record and ONE conference  game, I think you should use another compass.

" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

jsheim

« Reply #36 on: January 02, 2015, 11:55:50 AM »
This is what I want...

I want to win this year...not have a "play out the year and we'll be good next year" attitude.

I want Wojo to know he's learning how to coach and respect the players he has...not be a "can't wait until I get rid of all those Buzz rejects and finally own this team" kind of ego-driven guy.  I'm thinking he's the first guy.

I want to hope on a 10-11+ win year and get to the Tournament....not be a realist and say 6-7 wins and everybody who says otherwise is a "pie-in-the-sky" idiot.

I want to keep hoping when we're down by 10 to Villanova with 4 minutes left....rather than cursing Derrick Wilson for bricking his last two free-throws.

I want to be a fan this year and next year even though my son would have graduated this May.

If I can't have all that...then I want out of MUScoop because otherwise it would be a dreary place...

MUMountin

• All American
« Reply #37 on: January 02, 2015, 12:24:29 PM »

R-E-L-A-X

Agreed--going into the season, I believed that this would be an up-and-down year.  We'd lose a few games we shouldn't, and maybe win a few games we shouldn't.  I think the relative success of Orlando tourney and the glittering debut of Luke Fischer against ASU (before anyone knew what he was capable of) and the cupcakes made us all hope that the sunrise was coming sooner than we all originally expected.  This loss to DePaul just helped reaffirm my original expectations for this season, so while momentarily disheartening, not the end of the world.

The reality is that with a short bench (#s) and team (height), we were going to struggle to eek out a tourney bid this season.  In some ways, I feel like this loss helps bring expectations back down, and to learn to just enjoy this season for what it is--a growing year, both for the players and Wojo himself. 

Important to remember that Wojo is, in some ways, a freshman himself, and will have some growing pains to go through.  But, as we like to remember, the best part about freshman is that they become sophomores--it'll happen.

Texas Western

• All American
« Reply #38 on: January 02, 2015, 12:31:56 PM »

I want to win this year...not have a "play out the year and we'll be good next year" attitude.

This is where I am at.  There is no reason  we have to declare this a transition year.  We have enough talent, Wojo just has to learn how to use it properly.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #39 on: January 02, 2015, 01:07:18 PM »
I agree with much of this. I did not expect us to be good this year and I very much like what I've seen from Wojo as a coach, recruiter and representative of the university. Can he take our program to heights not seen since the 70s? That's a tall order, a steep hill to climb - but he's off to a very solid start.

It's not his fault that we shot it so poorly and turned it over so much down the stretch against DePaul. However, when we blow a 13 point lead in the final 11 minutes against a very weak opponent it's frustrating. It's even more frustrating when our team looks disorganized and back on their heels doing it. DePaul didn't really take the game or throw in a bunch of tough/desperation shots. In the last 11 minutes they made 1 of 4 3s, 1 mid range 2, 5 of 7 lay ups and 7 of 10 free throws and had 3 TOs. Meanwhile, we made 3 of 4 lay ups, 3 of 4 free throws, 0 of 8 3s and had 6 TOs. I think it's fair to ask the coaching staff why, with the game in our control, WE were the team launching 3s while our opponents shot lay ups and free throws. Shouldn't WE be the team attacking the basket and going to the line while we force our opponents to shoot desperation 3s to get back in the game? I'm relaxed and have no expectations for this year. I'm pretty much all in on Wojo. But I think the players and the coaches threw an easy W away on Wednesday.

Bingo. When your team isn't hitting from the perimeter but you have built an advantage, take it to the hoop. MU had the match-up on the inside and didn't exploit its hand. Double and triple teaming on Luke opened up the perimeter for sure, but it also opened up driving lanes that should have been exploited to win the war of attrition.

Don't mind losing a Big East game even to DePaul, but if the vets aren't getting it done, would rather lose with our future in the game. Playing it safe with veterans at the end is a rerun from Bert's last year. Been there, done that.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #40 on: January 02, 2015, 01:14:12 PM »

I thought Marquette had a real big chance at a championship with Crowder and DJO as seniors. Until Otule went down against Washington.

21rooster

• Starter
« Reply #41 on: January 02, 2015, 01:18:42 PM »
TXWest, I don't mean to keep going after your posts, but this is the argument I just don't understand.  I've seen a few people write that the talent is there.  Let's take a look at the eight guys we have.  

1.  Derrick Wilson: After thousands of pages devoted to the topic, no comments are needed.  
2.  Duane Wilson: I agree on the talent...but like all Freshman, consistency isn't there yet...though it's getting there.    
3.  Matt Carlino: BYU fans said it: he'll win some for you and lose some for you.  Some days he hits everything, even with a man in his face.  Other days, DePaul happens.  
4.  JuJuan Johnson: Talent is starting to come through over the last five games, but he's still a work in progress.  After seemingly no development under Buzz, I love the progress this year...but it takes time.  
5.  Juan Anderson: Seems to be playing to his potential...is being used well this year.  
6.  Sandy Cohen: Bright future, but even he acknowledged that the transition has been tough...see yesterday's JS article.  
7.  Steve Taylor Jr.: He showed flashes as a Freshman, but injuries and playing out of position (out of necessity) have not helped.  DePaul was a great example...with Luke in foul trouble, Steve was back at the 5.  
8.  Luke Fischer: Yes, I agree about the talent.  However, the last three games have demonstrated the importance of on-the-court experience.  He has the skillset, but it will take a few games (for him and his teammates) to adjust to double-teams.  He'll get it, but he's only seen double-teams for three games so far.  

Sum it up.  We have three guys getting their first meaningful college hoops minutes.  Of the remaining five guys, one is playing out of position (we've probably been spoiled by Lazar, Jimmy and Jae in the past).  Two are seniors playing the best basketball of their careers, even if the ceiling isn't as high as some would like.  One is playing exactly as advertised by fans at his last school (and has single-handedly given us a win), and one seems to be flourishing in recent games after a disappointing Freshman year.  

This is a transition year.  That doesn't mean we can't have success, but there is a clear transition happening.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2015, 01:20:41 PM by sroirraw »

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #42 on: January 02, 2015, 01:21:17 PM »
This is where I am at.  There is no reason  we have to declare this a transition year.  We have enough talent, Wojo just has to learn how to use it properly.

I disagree with this.  I think Wojo has some growing pains, but we are nominally playing 7 players right now and one of them is Derrick Wilson.  Do you know of any teams with 7 players on the roster with only 1 taller than 6'7" that can win now against Nova and Georgetown, etc?  Not to mention while learning a new system and staff?

I just don't think there is any reason to think this team can win now and whats more, win what?  An outside shot at the tournament?  Let Wojo and the players learn from this season, establish a firm foundation for many successful years to come.

#respecttheprocess
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #43 on: January 02, 2015, 01:30:13 PM »

I don't think anyone declares anything.  Wojo will do what he feels is right to win this year.  Next year he will do the same.  That being said, we have talent on this team, but it lacks experience...and vice versa.  I think the expectations that we will make the tournament this year are misguided.  I said NIT at the beginning of the year, and I see no reason yet why to adjust that either way.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #44 on: January 02, 2015, 01:37:51 PM »
I disagree with this.  I think Wojo has some growing pains, but we are nominally playing 7 players right now and one of them is Derrick Wilson.  Do you know of any teams with 7 players on the roster with only 1 taller than 6'7" that can win now against Nova and Georgetown, etc?  Not to mention while learning a new system and staff?

I just don't think there is any reason to think this team can win now and whats more, win what?  An outside shot at the tournament?  Let Wojo and the players learn from this season, establish a firm foundation for many successful years to come.

#respecttheprocess

I agree with you on all points. I just don't think we should get too excited about next season as well. Let's face it. We'll have one senior, 3 juniors, 2 sophs and 4 freshman for next year as of now. I think Henry will be the only frosh ready to play and even he will have to adjust to playing at the next level.

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #45 on: January 02, 2015, 01:39:27 PM »

I don't think anyone declares anything.  Wojo will do what he feels is right to win this year.  Next year he will do the same.  That being said, we have talent on this team, but it lacks experience...and vice versa.  I think the expectations that we will make the tournament this year are misguided.  I said NIT at the beginning of the year, and I see no reason yet why to adjust that either way.

I'd be very happy with an NIT appearance and I think games like that will only help the development, hell in the context of this season I might accept a CBI bid.  I know the BE is a much better conference this year, but MU went 9-9 last year and missed the NIT.  8-9 wins in conference this year will be tough.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #46 on: January 02, 2015, 01:44:07 PM »
I'd be very happy with an NIT appearance and I think games like that will only help the development, hell in the context of this season I might accept a CBI bid.  I know the BE is a much better conference this year, but MU went 9-9 last year and missed the NIT.  8-9 wins in conference this year will be tough.

I just think they are better than they played Wednesday.  I think this is going to be one of those years that good shooting means we win games we shouldn't...and vice versa.

Texas Western

• All American
« Reply #47 on: January 02, 2015, 10:39:58 PM »
TXWest, I don't mean to keep going after your posts, but this is the argument I just don't understand.  I've seen a few people write that the talent is there.  Let's take a look at the eight guys we have.  

1.  Derrick Wilson: After thousands of pages devoted to the topic, no comments are needed.  
2.  Duane Wilson: I agree on the talent...but like all Freshman, consistency isn't there yet...though it's getting there.    
3.  Matt Carlino: BYU fans said it: he'll win some for you and lose some for you.  Some days he hits everything, even with a man in his face.  Other days, DePaul happens.  
4.  JuJuan Johnson: Talent is starting to come through over the last five games, but he's still a work in progress.  After seemingly no development under Buzz, I love the progress this year...but it takes time.  
5.  Juan Anderson: Seems to be playing to his potential...is being used well this year.  
6.  Sandy Cohen: Bright future, but even he acknowledged that the transition has been tough...see yesterday's JS article.  
7.  Steve Taylor Jr.: He showed flashes as a Freshman, but injuries and playing out of position (out of necessity) have not helped.  DePaul was a great example...with Luke in foul trouble, Steve was back at the 5.  
8.  Luke Fischer: Yes, I agree about the talent.  However, the last three games have demonstrated the importance of on-the-court experience.  He has the skillset, but it will take a few games (for him and his teammates) to adjust to double-teams.  He'll get it, but he's only seen double-teams for three games so far.  

Sum it up.  We have three guys getting their first meaningful college hoops minutes.  Of the remaining five guys, one is playing out of position (we've probably been spoiled by Lazar, Jimmy and Jae in the past).  Two are seniors playing the best basketball of their careers, even if the ceiling isn't as high as some would like.  One is playing exactly as advertised by fans at his last school (and has single-handedly given us a win), and one seems to be flourishing in recent games after a disappointing Freshman year.  

This is a transition year.  That doesn't mean we can't have success, but there is a clear transition happening.
My argument is that I am not ready to give up the season.  To me saying this is a transition year is giving up. Maybe that is my old fashioned way of looking at it. My belief is that each primary member of our team has shown several times that they are able to compete well at a high level. Sandy still getting there but showing flashes. So to my way of thinking it is putting the pieces together in a cohesive way.

For example, I really think a guy like Carlino should be used more in the fashion the old Piston teams used Vinnie "The Microwave " Johnson. He would come off the bench and heat it up. If he is not hot he comes out.   Similarly, Derrick has value, but more in my mind as a 10-15 minute of intensity guy, not a 35 minute take the life out of your offense guy. I guarantee if JJJ get the minutes Derrick gets he would be averaging in the high teens scoring. I want to see Duane and JJJ paired together more often and not just because they were head bands. They are both lightning quick and that makes match ups difficult.  I want to see STjr in the game with Luke. He likes to play with his face to the basket up high and I think that works well with Luke. Happy with Juan getting max minutes, as he is showing up every game. Also JJJ is the type of kid who doesn't need a lot of rest. The way he plays he could go 36 minutes easily. So I would prefer that Wojo have our fortunes this year tied to Duane and JJJ, rather than Derrick and Carlino.

I think an experienced game coach could do a lot with our kids. I know there are some that say Buzz couldn't get much out of our kids last year, why expect Wojo to do any better. My contention is that Buzz did a lousy job last year, and in my mind was more of a Lefty Driesall type. A great recruiter but only an average game coach.

I am willing to give Wojo the time to learn on the job.  However, that doesn't mean I am not going to point out where I think he is weak. It is an internet fan board after all. lol.  To be fair I have said that he is doing a great job in terms of recruiting and marketing the program.

Tom Izzo went 16-16 and 17-12 his first two years on the job at Michigan State. I think we have talent to do better than that.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #48 on: January 03, 2015, 12:17:49 AM »
My argument is that I am not ready to give up the season.  To me saying this is a transition year is giving up. Maybe that is my old fashioned way of looking at it. My belief is that each primary member of our team has shown several times that they are able to compete well at a high level. Sandy still getting there but showing flashes. So to my way of thinking it is putting the pieces together in a cohesive way.

For example, I really think a guy like Carlino should be used more in the fashion the old Piston teams used Vinnie "The Microwave " Johnson. He would come off the bench and heat it up. If he is not hot he comes out.   Similarly, Derrick has value, but more in my mind as a 10-15 minute of intensity guy, not a 35 minute take the life out of your offense guy. I guarantee if JJJ get the minutes Derrick gets he would be averaging in the high teens scoring. I want to see Duane and JJJ paired together more often and not just because they were head bands. They are both lightning quick and that makes match ups difficult.  I want to see STjr in the game with Luke. He likes to play with his face to the basket up high and I think that works well with Luke. Happy with Juan getting max minutes, as he is showing up every game. Also JJJ is the type of kid who doesn't need a lot of rest. The way he plays he could go 36 minutes easily. So I would prefer that Wojo have our fortunes this year tied to Duane and JJJ, rather than Derrick and Carlino.

I think an experienced game coach could do a lot with our kids. I know there are some that say Buzz couldn't get much out of our kids last year, why expect Wojo to do any better. My contention is that Buzz did a lousy job last year, and in my mind was more of a Lefty Driesall type. A great recruiter but only an average game coach.

I am willing to give Wojo the time to learn on the job.  However, that doesn't mean I am not going to point out where I think he is weak. It is an internet fan board after all. lol.  To be fair I have said that he is doing a great job in terms of recruiting and marketing the program.

Tom Izzo went 16-16 and 17-12 his first two years on the job at Michigan State. I think we have talent to do better than that.

There is no talent on this roster.  People keep saying this.  There simply isn't.  You want to cut Derrick and Carlino out of the rotation, a rotation that is already down to 7 guys.  So let's cut it down to 5?  Because that would work great.

Steve has played maybe 3 good games in 2 1/2 seasons at Marquette.  JaJuan has played maybe 1 good game against a quality opponent at Marquette.  Duane and Luke are, for all intents and purposes, freshman who are showing inconsistencies.  Juan is an effort guy who is looked upon to be a star.  The roster is beyond thin in numbers, height, and talent.  It is the definition of a transition year.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

connie

• All American
« Reply #49 on: January 03, 2015, 09:35:40 AM »
There is no talent on this roster.  People keep saying this.  There simply isn't.  You want to cut Derrick and Carlino out of the rotation, a rotation that is already down to 7 guys.  So let's cut it down to 5?  Because that would work great.

Steve has played maybe 3 good games in 2 1/2 seasons at Marquette.  JaJuan has played maybe 1 good game against a quality opponent at Marquette.  Duane and Luke are, for all intents and purposes, freshman who are showing inconsistencies.  Juan is an effort guy who is looked upon to be a star.  The roster is beyond thin in numbers, height, and talent.  It is the definition of a transition year.
I won't say "no" talent, but it is pretty hard to argue any of the other points you make.
"Let's be careful out there."  Phil Esterhaus