[Today at 10:35:42 AM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by Viper
[Today at 10:34:23 AM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by withoutbias
[Today at 10:29:19 AM]

NM by tower912
[Today at 08:24:31 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Take It To The Bank  (Read 60398 times)

wadesworld

• All American
Take It To The Bank
« on: January 01, 2015, 06:22:46 PM »
A lot of silly posters around here crying about where we're at as a program and questioning Wojo's coaching. Some have said Wojo must think he can just show up and the Duke connection will just lead to MU becoming Duke. You can put all your money on 2 things. 1) Wojo isn't relying on any sort of past to get him to where he'd like to be in the future. 2) In 2 seasons we'll be much closer to Duke than we are to what we saw last season and what we'll see the rest of this season.

Take this season for what it is. A transition year. Wojo looks for different things in a player than what Bert did. Doesn't make 1 better than the other. Just different. There are different ways to win. You could tell from day 1 that a guy like Burton wasn't going to fly with Wojo if he didn't change his style of play. From the coming out and clearly being unhappy with the performance at Madness to the disgusted look on his face when Burton missed a crowd pleasing dunk while up about 50 vs. Wisconsin Lutheran College you can tell Wojo demands fundamental play from everyone regardless of whether it's a pickup game or a National Championship game. I, for one, am perfectly fine with that. Right now he has 1 player who Bert recruited that Wojo decided he could mold into a player he would like to see and a 1 year rental. Wojo chose more or less none of the players on this roster. I have heard from multiple people the sentiment of "just wait until he had his players in and he'll have this program where it hasn't been since the 70s." Maybe it's just Duke favoritism, but I have a feeling these people will be proven right. He has a vision and his first recruiting class shows he also has a plan.

This year will be more frustrating than any in a while. But after this we will see the transformation of a program. And it's going to be a joy.

R-E-L-A-X
« Last Edit: January 01, 2015, 06:24:32 PM by wadesworld »
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
Re: Take It To The Bank
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2015, 06:38:44 PM »
I agree with all of this, but are there people who thought we'd be good this year? I didn't. Are there people who think Wojo has done a bad job? I'm not sure I've seen any.

This roster is a disaster and that's not Wojo's fault. We played as bad a second half yesterday as we have all year. We will win games and so will DePaul.

brandx

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2015, 06:40:59 PM »
A lot of silly posters around here crying about where we're at as a program and questioning Wojo's coaching. Some have said Wojo must think he can just show up and the Duke connection will just lead to MU becoming Duke. You can put all your money on 2 things. 1) Wojo isn't relying on any sort of past to get him to where he'd like to be in the future. 2) In 2 seasons we'll be much closer to Duke than we are to what we saw last season and what we'll see the rest of this season.

Take this season for what it is. A transition year. Wojo looks for different things in a player than what Bert did. Doesn't make 1 better than the other. Just different. There are different ways to win. You could tell from day 1 that a guy like Burton wasn't going to fly with Wojo if he didn't change his style of play. From the coming out and clearly being unhappy with the performance at Madness to the disgusted look on his face when Burton missed a crowd pleasing dunk while up about 50 vs. Wisconsin Lutheran College you can tell Wojo demands fundamental play from everyone regardless of whether it's a pickup game or a National Championship game. I, for one, am perfectly fine with that. Right now he has 1 player who Bert recruited that Wojo decided he could mold into a player he would like to see and a 1 year rental. Wojo chose more or less none of the players on this roster. I have heard from multiple people the sentiment of "just wait until he had his players in and he'll have this program where it hasn't been since the 70s." Maybe it's just Duke favoritism, but I have a feeling these people will be proven right. He has a vision and his first recruiting class shows he also has a plan.

This year will be more frustrating than any in a while. But after this we will see the transformation of a program. And it's going to be a joy.

R-E-L-A-X

+1000

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2015, 06:41:32 PM »
I agree with all of this, but are there people who thought we'd be good this year? I didn't. Are there people who think Wojo has done a bad job? I'm not sure I've seen any.

This roster is a disaster and that's not Wojo's fault. We played as bad a second half yesterday as we have all year. We will win games and so will DePaul.

Agreed. Just think some people have been overreacting given that there was never a reason to think we'd be any good this year. Maybe it's a small minority who just happen to post way too much for their own good.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2015, 06:44:31 PM »
Are there people who think Wojo has done a bad job? I'm not sure I've seen any.

Have you read the literary works of Willie Warrior and DuaneWade?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2015, 06:53:38 PM »

Written in crayon.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2015, 07:48:51 PM »

Written in crayon.
At least Willie can write, Sultan, while all you do is psychobabble---in bubbles.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2015, 07:58:40 PM »

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2015, 08:02:05 PM »

You don't have them on ignore?

Actually I blame you for actually reading their useless drivel, you should know better.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2015, 08:25:08 PM »
Great post, wadesworld.  Agree 100%.

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2015, 08:56:02 PM »
absolutely a great post....thank you for shining light on the more plausible (and glass 2/3rds full) reality.

one question...you say "he has 1 player who Bert recruited that Wojo decided he could mold into a player he would like to see..."  i assume you are referring to Du. W but i've viewed Luuuuke as a Bert "recruit".  was Luke bound for MU regardless of the coach or program situation because he was so home/double mint sick?

brandx

« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2015, 08:57:32 PM »
absolutely a great post....thank you for shining light on the more plausible (and glass 2/3rds full) reality.

one question...you say "he has 1 player who Bert recruited that Wojo decided he could mold into a player he would like to see..."  i assume you are referring to Du. W but i've viewed Luuuuke as a Bert "recruit".  was Luke bound for MU regardless of the coach or program situation because he was so home/double mint sick?

Think he meant Cohen.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2015, 09:08:53 PM »
Think he meant Cohen.

Correct. The only player on the team beyond Carlino that Wojo decided was worth a spot was Cohen, and even Cohen committed when Bert was our coach.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2015, 09:14:21 PM »
You don't have them on ignore?

Actually I blame you for actually reading their useless drivel, you should know better.

I'm thoroughly against putting people on ignore as a general process.  I think everyone usually has something useful to say at some time. 

That said, those two are the only ones I have ever put on ignore.  Says a lot about their content, or lack there of.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2015, 09:14:59 PM »
We also only have 7 players getting playtime. Were going to get run on at the end of games, theres nothing that we can do about it unless Wojo starts giving the Twins playing time.

naginiF

• All American
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2015, 09:15:10 PM »
Think he meant Cohen.

AH!  yesterday's DNP must've put him in my blind spot as the only one from last year's recruiting class to stick.

Sorry if Cohen's absence was covered in another thread but i avoid Scoop like FoxNews.com after a loss.  a position which was validated after a quick review of thread topics  :-\

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2015, 09:18:42 PM »
AH!  yesterday's DNP must've put him in my blind spot as the only one from last year's recruiting class to stick.

Sorry if Cohen's absence was covered in another thread but i avoid Scoop like FoxNews.com after a loss.  a position which was validated after a quick review of thread topics  :-\
Yesterday it felt like I was watching CNN and a plane just disappeared.

jakeec

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2015, 10:30:50 PM »
Yea, I do think Wojo will get Marquette headed the right direction in the new Big East.  They should be able to compete there most years.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2015, 10:42:20 PM »
Such a troll.

Texas Western

• All American
« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2015, 10:52:29 PM »

R-E-L-A-X
Wojo has demonstrated  that he is a good recruiter and certainly has the program in the right direction in that regard. Unfortunately , he has not demonstrated that he is anything more than an average game coach.  Also I don't think he understands how to motivate the kids on the team. In addition he has no flexibility.  He is going to live or die with Derrick and Carlino. Net result we have a mediocre team. I originally thought we would be a fun team to watch but that is not the case. These kids have no enthusiasm and look like they are playing out the string .

I consistently pointed out all summer long that my biggest concern was Carlino and his impact on team chemistry. Players generally don't like playing with selfish chuckers .  Wojo has done a terrible job managing this issue.  

Wojo has never been a head coach and it shows.

naginiF

• All American
« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2015, 11:06:11 PM »

Wojo has I've never been a head coach and it shows.

FIFY

Shark

• All American
« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2015, 12:36:23 AM »

21rooster

• Starter
« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2015, 07:12:59 AM »
Texas Western, are you serious?  Wojo has no flexibility?  After opponents went man-to-man for the first couple games, Ohio State goes to a zone...and for the first time, I see a Marquette team that knows how to move the ball against a zone...flexibility.  Fast forward to the Orlando tournament...after Omaha's guards blow past MU's guards, MU surprises its opponents by going to a zone...flexibility.  MU loses a key player in Burton, but Luke comes in and makes an immediate impact...flexibility.  In Luke's first game against Arizona State, other guards are playing extremely well in the first half, so Derrick hardly plays that half...flexibility.  North Dakota figures out how to shut Luke down with double- and triple-teams, and the other guys on the court don't space properly...Wojo moves Luke away from the basket, and Derrick suddenly gets player of the game...flexibility.  Wojo is working with eight guys, seven of whom Buzz left behind for a lesser job.  Last game was clearly disappointing, but how much better than 8-5 did you think this team would be right now? 

These kids have no enthusiasm?  Have you seen JJJ this year versus last year?  Have you seen a minute of Juan's games this year?  Has Luke been playing like he has no enthusiasm?  How about Duane?  The Bradley Center has been near full just once, and half of that crowd was wearing red.  Even if you somehow aren't seeing enthusiasm from the team so far, you may want to reserve judgment until the cupcake home games are done. 

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2015, 07:26:10 AM »
Wojo has demonstrated  that he is a good recruiter and certainly has the program in the right direction in that regard. Unfortunately , he has not demonstrated that he is anything more than an average game coach.  Also I don't think he understands how to motivate the kids on the team. In addition he has no flexibility.  He is going to live or die with Derrick and Carlino. Net result we have a mediocre team. I originally thought we would be a fun team to watch but that is not the case. These kids have no enthusiasm and look like they are playing out the string .

"Playing out the string" after one conference game.

Scoop can be so damn f*cking priceless sometimes....

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2015, 07:55:28 AM »
Wojo has demonstrated  that he is a good recruiter and certainly has the program in the right direction in that regard. Unfortunately , he has not demonstrated that he is anything more than an average game coach.  Also I don't think he understands how to motivate the kids on the team. In addition he has no flexibility.  He is going to live or die with Derrick and Carlino. Net result we have a mediocre team. I originally thought we would be a fun team to watch but that is not the case. These kids have no enthusiasm and look like they are playing out the string .

I consistently pointed out all summer long that my biggest concern was Carlino and his impact on team chemistry. Players generally don't like playing with selfish chuckers .  Wojo has done a terrible job managing this issue.  

Wojo has never been a head coach and it shows.

Yeah why live or die with Derrick and Carlino when you could just instead cut the rotation down to 5?!  Brilliant!

Carlino has shot the ball less than 10 times in all but 5 of our games.  He has shot the ball more than less than 15 times in all but 1 of our games, and he scored 38 points in that game.  He has more than 3 turnovers in just 2 games this season, and has an assist:turnover ratio of 2:1 (not outstanding, but not awful either).  As I said in another thread, Carlino has shown that he is willing to defer to the hot hand when he isn't hot.  The problem is, there was no hot hand against DePaul.  Somebody had to shoot the ball.   Shots just weren't falling.  Just one of those games.