[Today at 09:41:46 AM]

NM by Uncle Rico
[Today at 08:59:21 AM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by DFW HOYA
[Today at 08:41:22 AM]

2024-25 Outlook by WellsstreetWanderer
[April 25, 2024, 10:03:37 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Volleyball Thread  (Read 235462 times)

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
Re: Volleyball Thread
« Reply #975 on: September 12, 2022, 10:42:33 PM »
Really. Reading this document from 2011 affords the accuser just about every protection there is and shows no presumption of "innocence" or protection towards the accused. In seems accused and perpetrator are almost used interchangeably.

https://www2.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ocr/letters/colleague-201104.pdf

1. You either didn't read this or didn't understand what you read. It affords the accuser and the alleged equal rights. If you do it for one, you must do it for the other.

2. This was not the only document created by the Obama administration on this topic. Under these regulations there was a presumption of evidence for the accused.

3. It doesn't use "alleged" and "perpetrator" interchangeably. It only uses the phrase "alleged perpetrator". The only time the word "perpetrator" appears without "alleged" in front of it is in a section explaining a school's responsibilities in cases where there is a finding of responsibility which means that the theoretical perpetrator is no longer alleged in that case.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #976 on: September 12, 2022, 11:17:00 PM »
Fun read.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #977 on: September 13, 2022, 05:46:38 AM »
So you agree that is acceptable for the media to report that an allegation was made, correct?

Whose reputation was ruined by the duke volleyball allegation? I could have missed it but I haven't seen the accused named anywhere.

Also, keep in mind that the Duke LAX players were not found innocent. That is a misconception. The prosecutor in that case was doing unethical and illegal things to try and make his case, but that doesn't mean that the defendants were innocent. It also doesn't mean that they were guilty. The reality is, in cases like this, it's very rare that all the facts ever come out.

It would seem BYU's reputation. The coach at USC cancels a women's basketball game and all it takes is the allegation to do that.

https://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/story/_/id/34510145/south-carolina-dawn-staley-cancel-byu-women-basketball-games-racial-incident-volleyball-game

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #978 on: September 13, 2022, 07:16:03 AM »
It would seem BYU's reputation. The coach at USC cancels a women's basketball game and all it takes is the allegation to do that.

https://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/story/_/id/34510145/south-carolina-dawn-staley-cancel-byu-women-basketball-games-racial-incident-volleyball-game

There are some of the same people that root for the Jazz that would attend a BYU women’s basketball game. Can’t blame coaches for not wanting to bring their teams into that environment.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

tower912

• All American
« Reply #979 on: September 13, 2022, 07:26:55 AM »
I believe the player heard something.
I believe BYU failed to find any corroborating evidence.

Both can be true.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #980 on: September 13, 2022, 07:29:47 AM »
I believe the player heard something.
I believe BYU failed to find any corroborating evidence.

Both can be true.

Whoa, whoa, whoa.  You’re missing a vast journalistic conspiracy to take down, checks notes, a single BYU volleyball fan
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #981 on: September 13, 2022, 07:50:12 AM »

A single basketball game got cancelled!? Where's my fainting couch?!

I'm sure there are some unreasonable people who believe that the alleged behavior of one fan at a volleyball game somehow reflects on BYU the institution. My guess is that this doesn't impact BYU as an institution in any meaningful way.
TAMU

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #982 on: September 13, 2022, 08:47:44 AM »

I'm sure there are some unreasonable people who believe that the alleged behavior of one fan at a volleyball game somehow reflects on BYU the institution. My guess is that this doesn't impact BYU as an institution in any meaningful way.

Agreed.  But at the same time, it seemed like a cheap way to score morality points that people seemed to wildly celebrate, granted online doesn't mean much, but still silly.

I have no love for BYU and think its an awfully odd place but I don't think playing there is suddenly forcing your team into some exceptionally racist nest of vipers like Jesse Owens in 1936.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #983 on: September 13, 2022, 10:42:44 AM »

So the USC basketball coach was unreasonable?

MU82

• All American
« Reply #984 on: September 13, 2022, 10:44:12 AM »
40 pages. Who knew that Scoopers had this much interest in MU volleyball?

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #985 on: September 13, 2022, 10:54:03 AM »

I think she is being unreasonable.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #986 on: September 13, 2022, 10:56:07 AM »
There are some of the same people that root for the Jazz that would attend a BYU women’s basketball game. Can’t blame coaches for not wanting to bring their teams into that environment.
Same can be, and has been said of Boston. Hopefully Shaka nixes any games against BC.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #987 on: September 13, 2022, 10:56:34 AM »
Illinois at Marquette Saturday at 6:00 PM is a good opportunity for Marquette.  Not sure Illinois won't get beat up in the Big Ten, so hopefully Marquette can get the win there and then their only opportunities left for big wins are against Creighton, who they never beat.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #988 on: September 13, 2022, 10:57:09 AM »
Same can be, and has been said of Boston. Hopefully Shaka nixes any games against BC.

Maybe that's why MU hasn't played at BC...in my lifetime, that I can remember.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #989 on: September 13, 2022, 10:57:41 AM »
Agreed.  But at the same time, it seemed like a cheap way to score morality points that people seemed to wildly celebrate, granted online doesn't mean much, but still silly.

I have no love for BYU and think its an awfully odd place but I don't think playing there is suddenly forcing your team into some exceptionally racist nest of vipers like Jesse Owens in 1936.

Honestly I've seen a lot more negative reactions to the move than positive ones so I think at best there was a was in the "morality points".

I think Coach Staley didn't want to play @BYU for unrelated reasons and found a way to get out of the game, while also gaining the another story to tell the parents of future recruits about how she will protect their daughter.

Honestly no, I think she was being strategic/cunning. I don't think her opinion of BYU the institution was affected by this at all.

If you're asking if I think cancelling the game was warranted, the answer is no.

Honestly, it can be said of virtually every fanbase. Every fanbase has at least a small population of fans with those inclinations.
TAMU

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #990 on: September 13, 2022, 12:23:36 PM »
40 pages. Who knew that Scoopers had this much interest in MU volleyball?

Yeah, as a volleyball fan (and creator of the thread), I was thinking about preemptively starting the new VB thread for when this one gets locked.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #991 on: September 13, 2022, 01:21:03 PM »
Yeah, as a volleyball fan (and creator of the thread), I was thinking about preemptively starting the new VB thread for when this one gets locked.

Not a bad idea.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #992 on: September 13, 2022, 01:39:59 PM »

Please. Any new threads just label "MU Volleyball Only" or "MU LAX Only"

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #993 on: September 13, 2022, 02:53:55 PM »
Please. Any new threads just label "MU Volleyball Only" or "MU LAX Only"

Two thoughts on this:
  • This thread was never intended to be solely MU Volleyball and I wouldn't want a new thread to be limited to that.
  • It wouldn't matter even if we did try to limit the thread to MU Volleyball. If people limited their posts to the subject of the thread we wouldn't be discussing this right now.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #994 on: September 14, 2022, 04:29:43 PM »
Kentucky vs. Louisville is on ESPN tonight.  I wish they would've picked one of the other marquee matchups from the non-con schedule because I don't think Kentucky is that good (unfortunately for Marquette).

One of the reasons I love women's volleyball is that the top teams schedule the most insane non conference schedules.  I'm just going through the current top 10 teams and looking at their early season schedules and these are most of the top 25 teams that those teams are playing:

#1 Texas: Ohio State (x2), Minnesota, Stanford
#2 Nebraska: Pepperdine, Creighton, Stanford, Kentucky
#3 Louisville: Western Kentucky, San Diego, Ohio State, Purdue, Kentucky, Stanford
#4 Wisconsin: Baylor, Marquette, Kentucky, Florida
#5 Ohio State: Texas (x2), Louisville, Georgia Tech, Pitt
#6 Minnesota: Baylor, Texas, Florida, Oregon, Stanford, Pepperdine
#7 Georgia Tech: Illinois, BYU, Ohio State, Arkansas
#8 San Diego: Pitt, Louisville, Ohio State (also play Utah and UCLA who are receiving votes)
#9 Stanford: Florida, Texas, Penn State, Minnesota, Nebraska, Louisville (this is insane...playing teams ranked 1, 2, 3, 13, and 20, 3 of them on the road and one neutral)
#10 Purdue: Just Louisville.  Really weak, comparatively.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #995 on: September 14, 2022, 09:50:17 PM »
Kentucky vs. Louisville is on ESPN tonight.  I wish they would've picked one of the other marquee matchups from the non-con schedule because I don't think Kentucky is that good (unfortunately for Marquette).

Well, turns out it was a great match.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #996 on: September 14, 2022, 10:19:21 PM »
Damn, Ole Miss sure does have a nice volleyball facility.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #997 on: September 14, 2022, 10:48:08 PM »

It’s my Favrite one.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #998 on: September 14, 2022, 10:56:01 PM »

It’s my Favrite one.

Thinking you are talking about Southern Miss.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #999 on: September 15, 2022, 06:58:55 AM »
Thinking you are talking about Southern Miss.
Oh that's right, Favre didn't meet the academic standards for Ole Miss.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

feedback