[March 27, 2024, 11:34:10 PM]

Kam Jones 1st Round Mock - The Ringer by PGsHeroes32
[March 27, 2024, 10:40:15 PM]

Katz has MU in Final Four by MurphysTillClose
[March 27, 2024, 10:24:36 PM]

Best MU team since 1977 by Galway Eagle
[March 27, 2024, 09:47:04 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Futbol Talk  (Read 787949 times)

Pakuni

• All American
Re: Futbol Talk
« Reply #2350 on: January 11, 2019, 01:30:05 PM »
Congrats to MU goalkeeper Luis Barraza, taken 12th overall in the MLS draft today.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #2351 on: February 02, 2019, 05:13:38 PM »
So...two games into the Berhalter era and two wins. Surprisingly only the third USMNT coach ever to accomplish that feat, though these were friendlies. Still, better to get the results than not.

These were MLS player rosters. The two guys that jumped out most were Djordji Mihailovic and Sebastian Lletget. Mihailovic was excellent in both games, while Lletget came off the bench late today and tallied a goal and assist against Costa Rica. Great story for him, he suffered a Lis Franc injury at the same stadium in a USMNT game last year and had this date circled as his targeted return date. Coming back and playing as well as he did was excellent. If only it had been a qualifier that punched our ticket to Qatar, someone would be writing the movie script already.

Good ball movement and control overall. The players seemed more ambitious than I'm accustomed to. Good play to release runners on through balls and insure we were more often than not going downhill. I'll be interested to see how that works against full international squads and with our full roster. I'm not sure we have the personnel for such a downhill, attacking approach (especially what we saw the last 30 minutes against Costa Rica).

What he does with the defense is interesting. It's a 4-3-3, but Berhalter likes to push one of the defenders up into the midfield to give more of an attacking 3-4-3 look. Again, it worked in these games, but I'm afraid more seasoned teams will be better at finding the gaps. It also requires having defenders that have the pace of fullbacks and physicality of centerbacks. That's not always an easy ask. It also requires a fullback that is as comfortable playing as a central mid as he is at the back.

All in all, a successful Camp Cupcake, a few new names (Zack Steffen also looked good when called upon) and fine results. I think what I liked most was that the managerial approach actually looked creative. It also looked like when were were experimenting, it was purposeful experimentation. It wasn't the stalwart approach of Arena or the helter-skelter Klinsmann or the bunker Bob. I have no idea how it will work, but I think the next couple years will at the least be interesting.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #2352 on: February 24, 2019, 10:13:51 AM »
As much as United Liverpool is always hyped, I gotta say, that was a letdown. Hoping for a better game in the league cup final.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #2353 on: February 24, 2019, 01:33:51 PM »
As much as United Liverpool is always hyped, I gotta say, that was a letdown. Hoping for a better game in the league cup final.

Dont know about a better game, but holy crap.  Kepa vs Sarri. Kepa refuses to come off.  Then kepa lets in 4/5 in the shootout.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #2354 on: February 24, 2019, 01:39:03 PM »
Dont know about a better game, but holy crap.  Kepa vs Sarri. Kepa refuses to come off.  Then kepa lets in 4/5 in the shootout.

That was by far the most entertaining part of that final. If Sarri doesn't get top 4 I think he's gone. Overall disappointing games considering 4 of UKs elite were involved.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #2355 on: February 24, 2019, 02:01:24 PM »
Chelsea is an absolute sh!tshow right now. Roman not allowed in the UK, significant transfer ban, Sarri has completely lost control of that locker room, Hazard is going to be gone.

Honestly it’s pretty entertaining stuff. Chelsea could be in a world of hurt over the next couple of seasons.

BookerSil

• Walk-On
« Reply #2356 on: February 25, 2019, 06:29:13 AM »
I don't care much for Chelsea, but I love Hazard. He's gotta go, man. He's wasting his best years in Chelsea.
Guys should make use of probiotics for men for sure.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #2357 on: February 25, 2019, 07:23:42 AM »
So excited for the future of the USMNT to go to that crapshow

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #2358 on: March 07, 2019, 09:58:33 AM »
Here are the revised UCL Rankings after the quarterfinals are set.

https://www.lowedownstats.com/league/ucl/

1. Man City
2. Bayern
3. Atleti

The site also has 2019 MLS and Liga MX.
A warrior is an empowered and compassionate protector of others.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #2359 on: March 07, 2019, 10:13:53 AM »
Interesting since the quarterfinals aren't set yet.  I'm very much looking forward to the second leg of the Liverpool v Bayern tie.  It will also please me greatly to see Ronaldo get knocked out.  Almost as much as watching Real and PSG collapse worse than Marquette.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #2360 on: March 07, 2019, 11:37:13 AM »
Interesting since the quarterfinals aren't set yet.  I'm very much looking forward to the second leg of the Liverpool v Bayern tie.  It will also please me greatly to see Ronaldo get knocked out.  Almost as much as watching Real and PSG collapse worse than Marquette.

Surprised ManU hasn't signed Ole to a permanent contract by now.  That was half an academy team that took down PSG.

Matt Heldt The Milk Man

• Walk-On
Re: US vs. Spain
« Reply #2361 on: March 07, 2019, 12:54:20 PM »
Like everyone else noted, Freddy Adu has been given his chances. I'm not saying Freddy may not be successful in a different system, but with Bob at the helm, Adu doesn't have a good situation for his talents.

If it really is a club issue with Chandler, and not his possible move to joining the German national team, I'm okay with his exclusion.

Teal Bunbury should definitely have been given a roster spot over Wondolowski.

I can't believe they only brought Bedoya in once Feilhaber got injured. Bedoya is playing much better than Rogers currently.

I think we need to move on from Onyewu. He hasn't shown much of anything as of late. I would have preferred getting someone like Omar Gonzalez some experience.

I could also make a case for Brad Davis or Mixx Diskerud over Kljestan in the midfield. I don't think Sacha has ever produced much for the national team.

Edit: Basically, I think the US has to start getting younger sooner rather than later. The same core of players that carried us in the last two World Cups are going to be nearly useless come 2014

DAD?

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
Re: US vs. Spain
« Reply #2362 on: March 07, 2019, 01:57:35 PM »

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #2363 on: March 07, 2019, 02:10:23 PM »
Surprised ManU hasn't signed Ole to a permanent contract by now.  That was half an academy team that took down PSG.

Lets not get out of pocket.  I think it rather speaks to what a terrible job Mourinho had been doing. Man Utd is still stocked with talent like they always have been.  The only players missing from the squad yesterday compared to the starters that they fielded against Liverpool a bit back were Pogba, Mata, and Herrera.  Oh I guess Lingard too.   You have starters missing because of injury and you're still sending out national team regulars in their place.  This wasn't some plucky squad of nobodies.

Ole has been doing a fantastic job though.  No doubt in that

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #2364 on: March 15, 2019, 09:14:55 AM »
Interesting Champions League draw this morning.  The highlight match-up will most certainly be Barca v United, but I think that Ajax v Juve could be more interesting.  Ajax has a ton of young talent and Juve has a ton of old talent.  Based on their current form, I would expect City to beat Spurs, but if they're playing at the New White Hart Lane anything could happen.  I admittedly know very little about Porto, but Liverpool beat them 5-0 last year in the round of 16, so I would expect Liverpool to go through again.  City v Juve, and Barca v Liverpool would be my prediction for the semis.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #2365 on: March 15, 2019, 12:42:05 PM »
Interesting Champions League draw this morning.  The highlight match-up will most certainly be Barca v United, but I think that Ajax v Juve could be more interesting.  Ajax has a ton of young talent and Juve has a ton of old talent.  Based on their current form, I would expect City to beat Spurs, but if they're playing at the New White Hart Lane anything could happen.  I admittedly know very little about Porto, but Liverpool beat them 5-0 last year in the round of 16, so I would expect Liverpool to go through again.  City v Juve, and Barca v Liverpool would be my prediction for the semis.

Spurs and UAE City play each other three times in two weeks.  A PL match sandwiched between the CL ties.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #2366 on: March 15, 2019, 12:48:12 PM »
Spurs and UAE City play each other three times in two weeks.  A PL match sandwiched between the CL ties.

The EPL match is actually the weekend after their second CL game. Both in Manchester.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #2367 on: April 18, 2019, 09:35:46 AM »
hey folks - gonna pimp my stuff some more

Champions League Stats
https://www.lowedownstats.com/league/ucl/

1. Barcelona
3. Liverpool
4. Ajax
7. Tottenham

The website now has eight different leagues, including English League Championship, EPL, Ligue 1, Bundesliga, Serie A, La Liga, Liga MX, and MLS. Most of those have data back to 2015. It also has the last Men's World Cup and this year's Champions League. Also, the site is ugly and it has a dearth of articles, but the data is there!
A warrior is an empowered and compassionate protector of others.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #2368 on: May 07, 2019, 06:03:53 PM »
Well you just hate to see that. Couldn’t have happened to a nicer squad...

What an epic choke job by Barca. Messi just cannot get it done on the biggest stages.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #2369 on: May 07, 2019, 06:11:17 PM »
And that final goal was genius.    I don't remember seeing an entire side getting caught so off guard.    Perfect play by Liverpool.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #2370 on: May 07, 2019, 06:27:43 PM »

What an epic choke job by Barca. Messi just cannot get it done on the biggest stages.

Klopp really made some nice adjustments at halftime.  Messi was extremely dangerous in the first half, but then kind of vanished as they bottled him up.  That being said, he wasn't really pressing much at all in the second half.

Wijnaldum...what a super sub.  Beyond the 2 goals, he snatched the ball off a Barca boot at the edge of the 18 with green in front of them, I literally almost yelled "S***".

TAA continues to develop into a world class RB.  What a brilliant heady play.

And Origi, my god.  What a finish on the 4th and what a masterful controlled performance without Salah or Firmino.  This team is special.

Klopp was always my dream manager as an LFC supporter, but thought it was just a trendy Twitter pipe dream.  My expectations and excitement since his appointment have been completely justified.  3 European finals, an incredible run in the EPL this year, and even better, a roadmap for continued future success.  Just so much fun.

Ajax-Liverpool would be an AMAZING final. Either way, really hope to see some silverware finally return to Anfield.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #2371 on: May 07, 2019, 06:46:16 PM »

I'm guessing you're blinded by recency bias because the bolded is an absurd statement disproved by reality. 

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #2372 on: May 07, 2019, 06:49:54 PM »
I'm guessing you're blinded by recency bias because the bolded is an absurd statement disproved by reality.

I actually did a bit of research before posting that.

His record in finals isn’t great, for Argentina or Barca. Yea he has 3 CL trophies and has scored a ton of goal in Champions League play, but his performances in finals have been sub par. Think he has one goal in finals appearances?

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #2373 on: May 07, 2019, 07:31:47 PM »
I actually did a bit of research before posting that.

His record in finals isn’t great, for Argentina or Barca. Yea he has 3 CL trophies and has scored a ton of goal in Champions League play, but his performances in finals have been sub par. Think he has one goal in finals appearances?

If you're the type who equates scoring a goal to "performing" in a final, it will be a short discussion.

Club level, Messi has won more titles than every single player in the game's history except, what, two guys? He's actually won four Champions League titles which means your research was missing a piece.

Country level, Messi was absolutely dynamite in Copa America 2015 and 2016. It's not his fault alone they lost on penalties twice. He was superb against Germany in 2014. He put three golden chances on Higuain's platter.

I'm unsure if the last part of your post is a genuine question or a thought that trailed off. Surely you're aware of his Champions League Finals exploits if you did a bit of research.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #2374 on: May 08, 2019, 04:04:36 PM »
Spurs! Let's unnatural carnal knowledgeing go!