[Today at 04:39:02 PM]

NIL Future by Uncle Rico
[Today at 03:56:29 PM]

Shaka's 2023-2024 Season Accomplishments by LloydsLegs
[Today at 02:48:52 PM]

MU Gear by MUfan12
[Today at 01:31:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Futbol Talk  (Read 798407 times)

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: Futbol Talk
« Reply #2325 on: December 02, 2018, 08:36:45 PM »
No worries, I agree that Berhalter is far from the sexiest hire ever, I'm just excited that they finally have a full time coach.  Your data is usually really good, and I can't wait to see the updates when you get that bug worked out.   ;D

Okay, fixed. Here's my gripe with Berhalter.

Here's the Columbus Crew Aggregate Rank over the past four years, with offense and defense rankings.

2018: 16 (#21 offense; #10 defense)
2017: 8 (#13 offense; #6 defense)
2016: 12 (#5 offense; #16 defense)
2015: 8 (#3 offense; #12 defense)

In several years, they overperformed the stats. yay. That's what I'm talking myself into. Berhalter is good enough to get results despite poor stats.

On the other hand, does any of that scream, "success" to you? Shouldn't his teams have been good at things like offense or defense?

I haven't been this annoyed about a hire since Buzz. That's what else I'm talking myself into. Buzz got results.
A warrior is an empowered and compassionate protector of others.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #2326 on: December 03, 2018, 06:06:32 AM »
That's why the hire doesn't excite me. I'm just not convinced he has the schemes to compete at the highest level.

Totally off topic, did anyone see the finish of the Merseyside Derby yesterday? Liverpool had a ridiculously improbable miracle in the 6th minutes of 4 minutes of added time. Felt like Fergie time. Completely mishit ball careens high into the air, bounces off the top of the crossbar (I actually think Pickford may have slightly tapped it back toward play), bounces off the crossbar a second time, then falls right in front of goal where Divock Origi heads it in simple as could be. One of the most bizarre winning bounces you'll ever see.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #2327 on: December 03, 2018, 06:09:34 AM »
That's why the hire doesn't excite me. I'm just not convinced he has the schemes to compete at the highest level.

Totally off topic, did anyone see the finish of the Merseyside Derby yesterday? Liverpool had a ridiculously improbable miracle in the 6th minutes of 4 minutes of added time. Felt like Fergie time. Completely mishit ball careens high into the air, bounces off the top of the crossbar (I actually think Pickford may have slightly tapped it back toward play), bounces off the crossbar a second time, then falls right in front of goal where Divock Origi heads it in simple as could be. One of the most bizarre winning bounces you'll ever see.

That was ridiculous. Looked to me like pickford hit it slightly forward, then the crazy bounce.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #2328 on: December 03, 2018, 07:45:49 AM »

Turned it off to watch the Packer game...

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #2329 on: December 03, 2018, 08:20:15 AM »
I thought both derbies on Sunday were excellent.  I haven't met a Gunner who hasn't been impressed by Emery, and while the game wasn't a master class in defending, it had the perfect balance of scoring and chippy-ness that you'd expect. 

Liverpool really needed all three points in the Merseyside derby if they're going to keep pace with City.  Extremely fluky goal, but at the end of the day all that matters is the three points.  I personally think Klopp was extremely lucky not to get punished for running on the field like that.  I think it is similar to the Buzz on WVU logo thing.  Liverpool fans will love him for it, Everton fans will hate him for it.  Neutral fans will say that he probably shouldn't have done it, but did the right thing in apologizing right away.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2018, 08:24:01 AM by Its DJOver »

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #2330 on: December 11, 2018, 04:21:37 PM »
Good day for Spurs and the Liverpuds.

Bad day for Inter and Napoli, both headed to Europa.  Serie A not looking so hot, minus Juve.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #2331 on: December 18, 2018, 10:08:03 AM »
Jose officially sacked by Man U.  Timing makes sense, right after the Champions League draw, give the new manager time with the squad before the fixtures.  It'll be interesting to see who they target this summer.  Poch supposedly linked, but Real also want him and if Spurs have to give him up, I'm sure they would prefer to lose him to a Spanish club rather than a Prem rival.  Zidane has said he doesn't want the job, Simeone has said he doesn't want the job.  Doubt they're goiong to go with a club legend like Carrick, Butt, or Giggs.  Name I think they should look at, but probably won't, is Paulo Fonseca.  He's got a win % north of 75% in the Ukrainian League, and has a decent amount of Champions League experience, and most importantly, plays an attacking style.  Whomever they get has to be an offense first guy after 2.5 years of Jose.

TinyTimsLittleBrother

• Starter
« Reply #2332 on: December 18, 2018, 10:17:04 AM »
They aren’t hiring a guy from the Ukraine to manage United. United’s problems run way deeper than the manager. There structure is a mess which is why I doubt someone like Ponch would go there unless significant changes are made. It’s just easier to succeed at Tottenham right now - and it shouldn’t be.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #2333 on: December 18, 2018, 10:25:58 AM »
I agree that the hierarchy is completely screwed up right now, starting with Woodward, but I don't think they would disregard someone just because they're currently managing in the Ukraine.  He's gotten them into the round of 16 in the Champions League, won a domestic double and a domestic treble, and has had success in Portugal as well.  Considering none of the "big name" managers have shown any interest, I think that  he should be someone that at least gets a call about the job.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #2334 on: December 18, 2018, 03:18:40 PM »
Conte might be interested, but would Utd want another Chelsea reject?

MUEng92

• All American
« Reply #2335 on: December 18, 2018, 06:21:07 PM »
I grew up in the lean years as a Packer and Cub fan.  I was a fan for more than 2 decades before either won anything.  I didn't start watching soccer until the last decade, so for once from the start I got to choose a winner to follow in MUFC.  Then it all goes to hell. 

Maybe it's me...just in reverse this time

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #2336 on: December 18, 2018, 10:10:05 PM »
I grew up in the lean years as a Packer and Cub fan.  I was a fan for more than 2 decades before either won anything.  I didn't start watching soccer until the last decade, so for once from the start I got to choose a winner to follow in MUFC.  Then it all goes to hell. 

Seeing United being decent but not great is satisfying for me. I’m a Liverpool fan, but I’ve never developed the intense animosity for most of the other clubs, save Chelsea and Arsenal depending.

But United, man their supporters in the US. The Chicago RedEye morning paper had a feature on United fans in Chicago when they played at Soldier Field a couple years ago and almost every story was some terribly shallow front runner anecdote. Not even mentioning fav players that hooked them (My love for LFC was a direct result of Michael Owen obsession and becoming drawn in).

Just funny the same people that would make fun of Yankees/Lakers/Cowboys fans in the Midwest have no issue when it comes to United.

VERY interesting to see if the club can swallow their pride, examine the fudnamental issues and realize its more than just a manager or flashy high profile signing needed.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #2337 on: December 19, 2018, 08:29:15 AM »

They'll be back.  It may take some time, but there is too much money there for them not to right the ship at some point. 

This just goes to show how hard it is to replace a legend like Fergie.  I think it was a mistake to let him pick his own successor, and looking back, David Moyes was an extremely poor choice.  Then going with LVG was questionable because they were clearly looking for a long term guy, and he had never spent 3 full seasons with a club outside of the Eredivise.  Then I honestly believe that Jose was a panic hire.  The way things ended with him at Chesea, he should not have gotten a job that high profile within 5 months.  But their "noisy neighbors" were bringing in (IMO) the best tactician in the world, so in a panic, you only look at guys that have had success against him.  Klopp wasn't going anywhere at the time, and Jose was available. 

One interesting name that has already come up, that I didn't think of, is Laurent Blanc, he could be a good fit.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #2338 on: January 02, 2019, 08:39:55 AM »
Pulisic to Chelsea.  #Donedeal.  64 million.  Will finish this season on loan at Dortmund and make the move in the summer.  From a Chelsea perspective, it makes sense to deal in the winter as they may be facing an upcoming transfer ban.  Makes slightly less sense from a Dortmund perspective as I think they could have gotten more for him in the summer, although with that said, it's hard to turn down that kind of money for someone that had essentially turned into just a rotation player.

It'll be interesting to see who's at Chelsea next year, as I think this indicates that Hazard will finally get that move to Real that he wants.  Cesc, Willain, and Pedro are all 30+, and Morata has been a bust thus far.  Their midfield is solid with Kante, Jorginho, and Kovacic, but going forward, they'll have some question marks.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #2339 on: January 02, 2019, 08:41:29 AM »
He only had one year left on his contract.  That's a pretty hefty amount to pay for him given that.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #2340 on: January 02, 2019, 08:47:24 AM »
From a USMNT fan perspective, this move makes me nervous. Chelsea have shown no desire to develop young players, and have had a revolving door of managers.

From a rival fan perspective, I'm glad Liverpool didn't drop that much coin for a player who would be surplus to needs.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #2341 on: January 02, 2019, 08:50:26 AM »
It's a lot, but I try to look at the transfer fee divided by the expected number of quality years left.  For example, 100 mil for an already 33 Ronaldo is a crazy amount of money.  Even considering that he's one of the greatest ever, you're going to get, at most, 3 years.  So 33 mil per year plus wages.  Pulisic is only 20, so he's likely facing at least a decade of production.  Just over 6 mil a year plus wages is a lot easier pill to swallow.  Throw in that his jersey's are going to sell  like crazy, and you now have the biggest superstar in one of the largest untapped markets and it' a good business deal.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #2342 on: January 02, 2019, 04:36:46 PM »
From a USMNT fan perspective, this move makes me nervous. Chelsea have shown no desire to develop young players, and have had a revolving door of managers.

From a rival fan perspective, I'm glad Liverpool didn't drop that much coin for a player who would be surplus to needs.

Sounds like Hazard may be off to Madrid this summer, while Willian and Pedro are in their early 30s. He'll definitely get his chances. Of course, with Chelsea, if he isn't able to produce, they'll likely replace him or loan him. Really hope it works out, but I do understand the nervousness.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #2343 on: January 03, 2019, 08:09:04 AM »
All right Liverpool fans, if The Reds get all three points today, how confident are you about winning the league?

Curious from a neutral perspective.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #2344 on: January 03, 2019, 08:40:26 AM »
All right Liverpool fans, if The Reds get all three points today, how confident are you about winning the league?

Curious from a neutral perspective.

Long way to go, but 9 pts over Spurs and 10 over City would make me feel prettay prettay good. I'd take a draw in a heartbeat. They can't keep this form going over the course of 38 games, so the cushion would be nice.

I have seen a lot made of the prior title challenges. 13-14 was a high wire act, 08-09 was a final, desperate push at the end. This feels different. Far more solid at the back, and have proven they can grind out results.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #2345 on: January 03, 2019, 08:51:30 AM »
Long way to go, but 9 pts over Spurs and 10 over City would make me feel prettay prettay good. I'd take a draw in a heartbeat. They can't keep this form going over the course of 38 games, so the cushion would be nice.

I have seen a lot made of the prior title challenges. 13-14 was a high wire act, 08-09 was a final, desperate push at the end. This feels different. Far more solid at the back, and have proven they can grind out results.

VVD is the best center back in the prem right now.  I still think you overpaid for Alisson, but there was no way a title push could happen with Karius or Mignolet.  Also (not related to defense) but Shaqiri may be the best bargain of last summers transfer window.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #2346 on: January 03, 2019, 01:56:39 PM »
After today, Liverpool has one road game against a top 6 opponent.  (United)  Home games against Spurs and Chelsea.  They are done with City and Arsenal.

It is by no means wrapped up with a win today, but a nine point lead at this point would be tough to overcome.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #2347 on: January 03, 2019, 04:08:48 PM »
After today, Liverpool has one road game against a top 6 opponent.  (United)  Home games against Spurs and Chelsea.  They are done with City and Arsenal.

It is by no means wrapped up with a win today, but a nine point lead at this point would be tough to overcome.
It was either going to be 4 ,7 or 10, but ladies and gents, we have a title race. After last year this is great news. Admit I was rooting for city just because it means a title race.  Will certainly be a lot more fun down the stretch now.

Edit: Completely forgot about Spurs, Sultan is right.  I've just had the idea that it's going to be either City or Liverpool for a while now.  Think Spurs lack of depth will catch up with them soon, especially if they advance in the Champions League.

Edit #2: People say Football is a game of inches, well futbol is a game of 1.12 centimeters.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2019, 04:47:22 PM by Its DJOver »

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #2348 on: January 03, 2019, 10:56:05 PM »

City only has 1 top 6 road game too, at old Trafford.   Host spurs in April,  and goons and Chelsea in consecutive weeks in feb.

Spurs have the toughest road slate.  At city, chelsea and Anfield, Utd at Wembley and maybe goons at the new WHL.

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #2349 on: January 08, 2019, 02:05:57 PM »
Why Liverpool won't win:

They are only allowing 0.57 gpg. This is unsustainable. The defensive scoring percentage is #1 in the league at 21%. This is also unsustainable. The defense will regress to the mean.

Why Man City won't win:

Liverpool have a lead in the standings. Also, Man City is worst in the EPL at defensive SoT%. Seriously, they rank #20. That's bad for any team, let alone a title contending team.

Why Spurs won't win:

Spurs. Also, they rank #1 at offensive scoring percentage and #2 at defensive scoring percentage. *when* Spurs don't win the league, it'll be because either of these regress to the mean.
A warrior is an empowered and compassionate protector of others.