[April 24, 2024, 08:12:40 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by WhiteTrash
[April 24, 2024, 07:58:02 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by MU82
[April 24, 2024, 04:38:12 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Uncle Rico
[April 24, 2024, 04:09:20 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Futbol Talk  (Read 799959 times)

Matt Heldt The Milk Man

• Walk-On
Re: Futbol Talk
« Reply #2300 on: November 19, 2018, 10:06:42 AM »
Ronaldo with a completely bogus red card today.

Ronaldo is a bum. He scores over half of his goals on penalty and he didn't deserve to win the champions league or the Ballon D'or. If it that dickhead Ramos didn't injure Mo Salah and give Karius a concussion, Liverpool would have easily won and should have. Benzema's goal was the most special thing iv'e ever seen in my life and Real Madrid is terrible now. Messi is one thousand times better than Ronaldo and should be beating him in Ballo n D'ors right now, and don't @ me, but Ronaldo ain't even the best player on Juve. Dybala is 1000000000000000000% better.

NWarsh

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #2301 on: November 19, 2018, 11:48:51 AM »
Ronaldo is a bum. He scores over half of his goals on penalty and he didn't deserve to win the champions league or the Ballon D'or. If it that dickhead Ramos didn't injure Mo Salah and give Karius a concussion, Liverpool would have easily won and should have. Benzema's goal was the most special thing iv'e ever seen in my life and Real Madrid is terrible now. Messi is one thousand times better than Ronaldo and should be beating him in Ballo n D'ors right now, and don't @ me, but Ronaldo ain't even the best player on Juve. Dybala is 1000000000000000000% better.

Not here for a Messi/Ronaldo debate, but wouldn't the highlighted suggest that Ronaldo is not terrible?  You also mention the final against Liverpool last year, how about the previous 2 years?  I get it, you are a hater, but you have to recognize talent when there is talent.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #2302 on: November 19, 2018, 12:02:57 PM »

This is one of the most preposterous things Ive ever seen written about soccer, and that is saying something.  I'm a huge Liverpool supporter and saying they should have easily won is silly.

Ronaldo's career percentage of goals from the spot is 15%, Messi's is 13%, so you're argument is trash like the rest of that post.  Dybala is supremely talented but he has a penchant for disappearing, and he can't carry a national team like Ronaldo has for a decade.  He also doesnt have the pace or aerial ability of Ronaldo.  But sure, 10000000% better is accurate.  Especially with the whopping 2 goals he has in Serie A this year.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #2303 on: November 19, 2018, 12:46:12 PM »
At no point over the last decade has Ronaldo ever been worse than the second best player in the world.  This is a fairly well established fact.  The only year since 2006 where he finished worse than second in the Ballon d'Or voting was 2010 when Barcelona won the league and Champions League double, and had all three finalists (Xavi and Iniesta also got a vote boost that year for winning the World Cup).  The only reason that Barca didn't win the treble was because they lost the Copa Del Rey Final to Ronaldo's Real Madrid, with Ronaldo scoring the only goal in a 1-0 win.  The Ronaldo/Messi debate will go on forever, but to say that Ronaldo was worse than 2nd best in the World, and an all time great makes you look like you know nothing about the sport.

I'm a huge Liverpool supporter and saying they should have easily won is silly.

Think they can hang with City this year?

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #2304 on: November 19, 2018, 03:31:24 PM »
Think they can hang with City this year?

If anyone can, its them.  This team is the fulfillment of the vision that Klopp has had and they are so fun to watch, but City is a juggernaut.  Visionary manager and tactician, and more money than God behind the squad, its tough.  Really wish the Reds hadn't dropped the 2 points late against Arsenal, can't give that up if you want to keep with them.  If LFC stay within 5 points or so come late Jan, it could get fun.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #2305 on: November 20, 2018, 09:03:03 AM »
If anyone can, its them.  This team is the fulfillment of the vision that Klopp has had and they are so fun to watch, but City is a juggernaut.  Visionary manager and tactician, and more money than God behind the squad, its tough.  Really wish the Reds hadn't dropped the 2 points late against Arsenal, can't give that up if you want to keep with them.  If LFC stay within 5 points or so come late Jan, it could get fun.

On any given day, both LFC and MCFC have a good enough XI to beat anyone in the world.  The problem for LFC is that they can't play their best XI all 38 games.  They've added depth nicely with The Ox (get well soon), Keita, Fabinho, and Shaqiri.  The problem is, that I don't think I've ever seen a team with the depth that City has.  They've been without arguably their best player for essentially the entire premier league season, and haven't missed a beat, and their second XI could probably finish top half.

Matt Heldt The Milk Man

• Walk-On
« Reply #2306 on: November 26, 2018, 10:07:56 AM »
On any given day, both LFC and MCFC have a good enough XI to beat anyone in the world.  The problem for LFC is that they can't play their best XI all 38 games.  They've added depth nicely with The Ox (get well soon), Keita, Fabinho, and Shaqiri.  The problem is, that I don't think I've ever seen a team with the depth that City has.  They've been without arguably their best player for essentially the entire premier league season, and haven't missed a beat, and their second XI could probably finish top half.

That's Big facts. My previous post was boneheaded so just disregard that cause I was a bit fed up. Man City has an unbelievably good team in the fact where they don't even have to start Gabriel Jesus. Liverpool made great moves during the summer with their signings, but I just don't know if they would be able to edge out City. I hope it comes close because that would be a great last few weeks to see.

Matt Heldt The Milk Man

• Walk-On
« Reply #2307 on: November 26, 2018, 10:08:55 AM »
Predections:

Who is going to win the champions league this year?

Plaque Lives Matter!

• Starter
« Reply #2308 on: November 26, 2018, 10:40:19 AM »
Predections:

Who is going to win the champions league this year?

Tough call this year. But I am feeling Dortmund. PSG can beat anyone with their attack too.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #2309 on: November 26, 2018, 11:30:13 AM »
That's Big facts. My previous post was boneheaded so just disregard that cause I was a bit fed up. Man City has an unbelievably good team in the fact where they don't even have to start Gabriel Jesus. Liverpool made great moves during the summer with their signings, but I just don't know if they would be able to edge out City. I hope it comes close because that would be a great last few weeks to see.

Jesus hasn't been playing for two reasons.  1) His return so far this year has been poor.  1 goal, 1 assist in 10 appearances.  2) Aguero has been on fire to start the year.  8 goals, 4 assists in 13 appearances (tied for 1st in the golden boot race).  As for the title chase, as long as it is closer than it was last year, I think most neutral fans will be happy.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #2310 on: November 26, 2018, 11:42:57 AM »
Tough call this year. But I am feeling Dortmund. PSG can beat anyone with their attack too.

As much as clubs prioritize the Champions League, I think Dortmund's primary goal will be the Bundesliga.  Currently 9 points clear of Bayern, and you know they really want to end that 6 year streak Bayern are currently on.  PSG's front three is as good as any in the world, but they always underachieve in the Champions league.  French Ligue 1, 14 wins out of 14, 7 goals conceded.  Champions league, 1 win (against Red Star Belgrade), 2 Napoli draws, and a loss to Liverpool.   

Based off current form, (draw pending), I would predict a Barca, Liverpool, City, and Juve semi, with any of them good enough to win it all.  A lot of teams have enough talent to make a run though, and given that upsets happen over two legs there are probably another half dozen that could.  All-in-all, I would say that it's too early to call.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #2311 on: November 26, 2018, 11:54:27 AM »
As much as clubs prioritize the Champions League, I think Dortmund's primary goal will be the Bundesliga.  Currently 9 points clear of Bayern, and you know they really want to end that 6 year streak Bayern are currently on.  PSG's front three is as good as any in the world, but they always underachieve in the Champions league.  French Ligue 1, 14 wins out of 14, 7 goals conceded.  Champions league, 1 win (against Red Star Belgrade), 2 Napoli draws, and a loss to Liverpool.   

Based off current form, (draw pending), I would predict a Barca, Liverpool, City, and Juve semi, with any of them good enough to win it all.  A lot of teams have enough talent to make a run though, and given that upsets happen over two legs there are probably another half dozen that could.  All-in-all, I would say that it's too early to call.

Atletico could also muck it up too. 

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #2312 on: November 26, 2018, 12:01:05 PM »
Atletico could also muck it up too.

Yea, they're part of the half dozen or so that I think have enough talent to make a run.  My heart breaks for them, because they'll never have as much money as Real, or Barca, but they play the soccer version of the "Old Big East".  Stout defending, grinding out victories, give nothing away cheaply.  To lose two champions League Finals to your cross town rivals in a 3 year span is brutal (Imagine back to back Final Four loses to ND).  Their new stadium is also gorgeous BTW. 

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #2313 on: November 26, 2018, 04:16:54 PM »
Yea, they're part of the half dozen or so that I think have enough talent to make a run.  My heart breaks for them, because they'll never have as much money as Real, or Barca, but they play the soccer version of the "Old Big East".  Stout defending, grinding out victories, give nothing away cheaply.  To lose two champions League Finals to your cross town rivals in a 3 year span is brutal (Imagine back to back Final Four loses to ND).  Their new stadium is also gorgeous BTW. 

And I believe that stadium is hosting the final this year.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #2314 on: November 26, 2018, 06:52:49 PM »
http://www.espn.com/soccer/manchester-city/story/3709783/united-states-and-columbus-crew-goalkeeper-zack-steffen-in-talks-with-manchester-city

I'm not a big fan of Carlisle, but I don't think that he'd report something like this without fairly solid sources.  Almost 0% chance that Steffen would ever make the 1st team, but Man City certainly know what they're doing when it comes to evaluating young talent.  If this is true, the most likely scenario is that he goes out on loan once or twice, before being sold (currently doing something similar with US international Erik Palmer Brown, on loan at Dutch club Breda).  Nonetheless, it would be a great step up for a very promising US international.

Plaque Lives Matter!

• Starter
« Reply #2315 on: November 28, 2018, 04:10:58 PM »

Fair point. You don't often see Bayern in this state. My Eintracht boys are narrowly ahead of them too and playing some good ball. I didn't really have the analysis you had in it, just kinda went on gut feeling. I am a little blinded by flashy play sometimes. Mbappe is just so fun to watch.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #2316 on: November 29, 2018, 02:19:09 PM »
Gregg Berhalter officially named coach of the USMNT.  Was with Columbus Crew.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #2317 on: November 29, 2018, 02:38:53 PM »
Gregg Berhalter officially named coach of the USMNT.  Was with Columbus Crew.

I hope he does well, but I'm uninspired by this. Not convinced he's the dynamic leader we need. I'm a bigger fan of Vermes, or Reyna as a longer term answer that knows the youth system well. And why did it take so long? They needed what, 13 months to hire a guy who was always right there?
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #2318 on: November 29, 2018, 02:47:36 PM »
I hope he does well, but I'm uninspired by this. Not convinced he's the dynamic leader we need. I'm a bigger fan of Vermes, or Reyna as a longer term answer that knows the youth system well. And why did it take so long? They needed what, 13 months to hire a guy who was always right there?

Agree that it took far too long, but managing country is much different than club,  I'm going to withhold judgement until at least the Gold Cup.  Anything less than a Finals appearance and I'll be concerned.  I also doubt that he'll be around for 2026, which is ultimately what we should be building towards (I personally think that Qatar is going to be a sh ! t show for reasons that have nothing to do with the sport).

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #2319 on: November 29, 2018, 02:53:17 PM »
I don't know, at least under Gulati it was always a two cycle plan. Arena got two. Bradley got extended and was in the second when fired, same for Klinsmann. I think one cycle is always enough. I guess for now up just wait & hope you're right.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #2320 on: November 29, 2018, 03:00:43 PM »
Arena got the (deserved) extension because of the quarterfinal appearance in '02.  Bradley didn't make it through his second cycle, and neither did Klinsmann.  I certainly hope that we have learned our lesson.  I also think that the job will be very desirable prior to the 2026 WC.  Hosting, combined with the fact that all of our current young talent will be in their prime, you'd think we'd be able to swing for the fences with a manager at that point.

Either way, 2026 is a long way off, and I can now start looking forward to this summer with all three group stage games, plus the final within reasonable travel distance.  Has the potential to be a lot of fun.

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #2321 on: November 29, 2018, 10:44:05 PM »
Two things

#1 - The Berhalter decision is garbage. His teams aren't good at anything.

https://www.lowedownstats.com/team/columbus-crew-sc/

#2 - My site now has Champions League stats. yeah baby let's talk some crap now.

https://www.lowedownstats.com/league/ucl/
A warrior is an empowered and compassionate protector of others.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #2322 on: November 30, 2018, 09:56:54 AM »
Two things

#1 - The Berhalter decision is garbage. His teams aren't good at anything.

https://www.lowedownstats.com/team/columbus-crew-sc/

#2 - My site now has Champions League stats. yeah baby let's talk some crap now.

https://www.lowedownstats.com/league/ucl/

I'm a little bit confused by your website.  The link you provided shows Columbus as  20ish in most categories.  Yet if you view the league as a whole (https://www.lowedownstats.com/league/mls/)  they are both near the top of the table and the bottom.  There are also 32 teams listed.  If you entered some data as "Columbus", and some as Columbus Crew SC", wouldn't that cause both sets of data to be incomplete, and therefore inaccurate?  You seem to have a similar problem in most your league tables (although to a lesser extent).  Am I just reading this wrong?

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #2323 on: November 30, 2018, 10:13:38 AM »
I'm a little bit confused by your website.  The link you provided shows Columbus as  20ish in most categories.  Yet if you view the league as a whole (https://www.lowedownstats.com/league/mls/)  they are both near the top of the table and the bottom.  There are also 32 teams listed.  If you entered some data as "Columbus", and some as Columbus Crew SC", wouldn't that cause both sets of data to be incomplete, and therefore inaccurate?  You seem to have a similar problem in most your league tables (although to a lesser extent).  Am I just reading this wrong?

No, you're not wrong. There's a bug on the website that popped up after we introduced the Champions League. It required a little bit of extra effort to have a team like Man City in multiple leagues (EPL / CL), and it created the team page issue.

DAMMIT!
A warrior is an empowered and compassionate protector of others.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #2324 on: November 30, 2018, 10:18:07 AM »
No worries, I agree that Berhalter is far from the sexiest hire ever, I'm just excited that they finally have a full time coach.  Your data is usually really good, and I can't wait to see the updates when you get that bug worked out.   ;D

feedback