[Today at 05:47:31 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[Today at 03:52:54 PM]

Marquette Football Update by TallTitan34
[Today at 09:41:46 AM]

NM by Uncle Rico
[Today at 08:59:21 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Futbol Talk  (Read 800561 times)

Its DJOver

• All American
Re: Futbol Talk
« Reply #2275 on: September 12, 2018, 01:15:41 PM »
If Pulisic is playing on the wing 40 weeks a year, I would rather see him playing there than in the middle. If he's playing in the middle, I'd rather see him there than on the wing.

Consider Ronaldo and Messi. Our hope is that Pulisic is one of the next great players in the world. For Portugal, Ronaldo has lifted them to great heights from the wing. There's no doubt he pulls the strings and is their best player from a wide position. The same is true for Messi and Argentina, but from the middle of the pitch. Wherever Pulisic plays, we are hoping he has the ability to take over a game from wherever he is on the pitch. And he'll be more comfortable doing that from whatever position his club team has him in for the vast majority of the year.
?????

Messi plays different positions for club and country.  At Barca he's on the right, with Dembele on the left, and Suarez through the middle.  Then they have Rakitic and Coutinho pulling the strings.  For Argentina he plays more of a natural no. 10, because they have strikers galore with Aguero, Icardi, and Higuain.  That's why Dybala didn't start a game for them at the WC.  He's one of the best no. 10's in the world, but the team is built around Messi so Messi plays out of position and pushes Dybala to the bench.

You also run into questions about what to do with Weah.  If both Pulisic and Weah play all year out wide for their clubs are you not going to play Weah because he plays the same position as Pulisic?  If you play them both, which is the best option IMO, Pulisic is less out of position in the middle than Weah would be on the left.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2018, 02:17:06 PM by Its DJOver »

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #2276 on: September 12, 2018, 03:56:29 PM »
I may have made my point poorly. The Messi/Ronaldo comparison was simply to illustrate that players can run a match from different positions on the pitch. The Dempsey story was why I prefer that players play similar to their club roles.

Can there be extenuating circumstances? Sure. A glut of players at one position or an absolute talent void at another, but all things being equal, I would want the best players to play in their natural club positions.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #2277 on: September 12, 2018, 04:11:44 PM »
You also run into questions about what to do with Weah.  If both Pulisic and Weah play all year out wide for their clubs are you not going to play Weah because he plays the same position as Pulisic?  If you play them both, which is the best option IMO, Pulisic is less out of position in the middle than Weah would be on the left.

I agree with this, and we'll have to see how they both develop. My inclination is that Weah would be better suited on the wing and Pulisic in the middle, but who knows if they both come good? Alternately, with Earnie Stewart taking the mantle, might he be thinking 4-3-3 as a potential formation? If so, I could see Weah as a wing forward and Pulisic (if he was most comfortable playing there) as a right-sided central midfielder that overlapped with him.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #2278 on: September 13, 2018, 09:30:28 AM »
I agree with this, and we'll have to see how they both develop. My inclination is that Weah would be better suited on the wing and Pulisic in the middle, but who knows if they both come good? Alternately, with Earnie Stewart taking the mantle, might he be thinking 4-3-3 as a potential formation? If so, I could see Weah as a wing forward and Pulisic (if he was most comfortable playing there) as a right-sided central midfielder that overlapped with him.

Earnie Stewart is the GM, not the coach, I doubt he would have any say over formations.  Regardless, while it's important to ask these queations about our talent going forward, I think that they are overshadowing the most complete defensive unit that we've had in a long time.  Not since the days of Cherundolo, Bocanegra, and Onyewu have I been this excited about our defensive prospects.

We've always been known for having above average keepers, I think Steffen looks more than capable of being able to continue that trend.  Brooks will continue to get everyday minutes at Wolfsburg (top tier German league).  Miazga is getting first team minutes at Nantes (top tier French league).  CCV just signed a new 5 year contract at Spurs, and given their defender situation (Alderweireld wants out and Vertonghen is already 31) he'll get his shot, plus if you were at the same academy that produced Gareth Bale and Harry Kane why would you leave.  Even a prospect like Palmer-Brown will be taken care of, Man City has spent half a billion dollars on their academy in the last decade, so even if he never plays for the first team its a good place to be.  Yedlin is an everyday player for Newcastle, Robinson is getting minutes at Wigan and could break through next year when he gets back to Everton, even guys like Shaq Moore and Tim Ream are at respectable clubs (Reus, 2nd division in Spain, and Fulham in the Prem although injured right now).  If all those guys continue to develop the way they have been, we might only need to score 1 or 2 goals a game becasue that's a very promising defense, both in quality and depth.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2018, 09:32:52 AM by Its DJOver »

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #2279 on: September 13, 2018, 07:40:44 PM »
Earnie is the GM, but all his interviews lead me to think that he will heavily, heavily consider playstyle. His Dutch roots, from lineage to playing career to administration, will likely influence the type of manager he hires. He may not directly dictate formation, but if he thinks total football is the way to go, it'll be a total football style manager he hires.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #2280 on: September 14, 2018, 08:52:54 AM »
Earnie is the GM, but all his interviews lead me to think that he will heavily, heavily consider playstyle. His Dutch roots, from lineage to playing career to administration, will likely influence the type of manager he hires. He may not directly dictate formation, but if he thinks total football is the way to go, it'll be a total football style manager he hires.

This is all true, but there are still reasons for worry surrounding the USSF hierarchy right now. 

Earnie is the first GM, and when they created that position, the notion of how much power the GM would have was extremely vague, one of the reasons that it took so long to fill.  They may have adjusted this, and I just missed it, but I believe that Earnie technically does not have hiring/firing power.  The one that actually has that is still Cordiero, and all Earnie can do is make his "recommendation".  If the position of GM is really just soccer adviser to the President, while the President runs the USSF like a business, then we're in for more of the same. 

Also this coaching search is taking a mysteriously long time.  Earnie was hired at the beginning of June, and while nothing was ever going to happen while the WC was going on, that ended 2 months ago, and based on what I've seen, the supposed shortlist is still the same half dozen names that its been since Cordiero won his presidency.  By the time the next friendly happens, we'll be more than a year removed from T+T.  Now that's still more than three full year before the next WC, but as you pointed out earlier, National team managers get significantly less time with their players than clubs do.  We've set ourselves up decently by scheduling a tough set of friendlies through November, but if the new HC isn't there to for them, they won't do nearly as much good. 

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #2281 on: September 14, 2018, 09:40:03 PM »
My guess is that they are big game hunting and striking out. I've long been a fan of Peter Vermes, but at this point just put someone you feel confident in into the position.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #2282 on: September 14, 2018, 09:52:53 PM »
At this point, I'd be okay with Vermes.  He's one of the three names that I've seen listed as favorites, along with Gregg Berhalter, and Tata Martino.  I'm still in favor of Tab Ramos, but I would be heavily against Martino, you can't manage the USMNT if you don't speak English.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #2283 on: September 19, 2018, 11:13:30 AM »
Americans in Champions League yesterday.  Weston McKennie started, played 90 min and got an assist for Shalke.  If he continues to get minutes and play well for club, expect big things in the future.  Christian Pulisic was a sub and got the game winner for Dortmund, although he himself admitted that it was very lucky.  Tim Weah was not included in PSG's squad.  A decision that I would agree with, too much too soon (playing at Anfield yikes) for a teenager not named Mbpappe.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #2284 on: September 19, 2018, 03:04:50 PM »
Ronaldo with a completely bogus red card today.

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #2285 on: October 11, 2018, 08:42:23 PM »
Can anyone explain to me why Michael Bradley is on the field tonite agaibst Columbia???!!!!  How can anyone over 28 or so even be considered for our player pool?  Pisses me off that he is out there!!!
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #2286 on: October 11, 2018, 08:46:56 PM »
Can anyone explain to me why Michael Bradley is on the field tonite agaibst Columbia???!!!!  How can anyone over 28 or so even be considered for our player pool?  Pisses me off that he is out there!!!

My guess would be Sarachan wanted to give him a swan song, not have his last cap be the T+T debacle. I don't expect to see him Tuesday, and I don't think whoever is named head coach will ever call his number.  Definently wont see him next summer at the Gold Cup.

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #2287 on: October 11, 2018, 09:28:48 PM »
My guess would be Sarachan wanted to give him a swan song, not have his last cap be the T+T debacle. I don't expect to see him Tuesday, and I don't think whoever is named head coach will ever call his number.  Definently wont see him next summer at the Gold Cup.

Well he proved he has no business being out there tonight.  He is such a passive player.  Always had great touch but is completely out of his element playing an attacking position.  Prolly best off playing a 5.  Unfortunately he played there tonight and got abused by the columbian attackers.  Time to move on.  Ruined his career by coming back to US.  What waste, alot of young guys could have benefited from those minutes
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #2288 on: October 11, 2018, 09:55:43 PM »
Some thoughts on the Colombia game.

I don't know how much rain Tampa got from the hurricane, but I thought it was a little odd watching pre-game (muted of course to avoid Lalas) that they were watering the field, and it definitely showed in the first half.  Ball was skipping everywhere, and that little extra touch you need when it is skipping like that was lacking on the US's part. 

Colombia's first goal, you just have to tip you hat to James.  Yes he turned off Saief too easily, but that was a world class finish.

Acosta's equalizer came off the same late run that Adams used to get the winner against Mexico.  Good things happen when you make a run into the six.  Ball wasn't intended for him, but he made the most of his opportunity.

The most impressive thing about Wood's goal was the pass from Weah.  Put it where only Wood could get it.  Other than the goal, Wood was pretty silent most of the night, but that's what happens when we only play one up top.

Colombia's equalizer was more about Miazga falling asleep and not checking his runner.  Most of the opportunities that Colombia got on the night were off mental mistakes, or lack of communication between Miazga, Brooks, and Steffan, so whatever was wrong there, needs to be addressed immediately.

Falcao's winner was the (im)perfect storm.  Both center back stayed up after the set piece hoping for another chance.  There's no need for this, one should have been dropping back.  Then Robinson is already on a yellow, and any foul there would have led to his dismissal.  Finally Bradley, who hasn't had the legs for a while now, simply watched as his man simply outpaced him to get get an easy finish.

Colombia's fourth is another where you just have to tip your hat.  Even if Steffan makes that save, they had another player right there for the tap in.  Yes more pressure should have been on James so ha can't make that cross, but he has so much skill that it might not have made a difference.

I thought Acosta was the best American out there tonight, but he had to do the work for two since Bradley had his trademark disappearance of 15-20 minutes.

I don't blame Sarachan for giving Bradley the nod.  Nobodies last memory with the National Team should be the biggest disappointment in history, but this better be it for him.  It's looking more and more like Berhalter is going to get the job, and with only 7ish months before the Gold Cup, he shouldn't be taking the time to give Bradley a proper send off.  Howard got one, Bradley got one, Dempsey would have got one if he didn't miss 6 months with an irregular heart beat.  I wound't be at all surprised if his official international retirement announcement come next Wednesday.  I always thought he was overrated, but he at least earned this as a send off.

Overall, we had some nice moments, but there are definitely things to improve upon.  It's good that Columbia brought a full squad so we could better gauge where we are.  Lets see what happens Tuesday, no reason we can't beat Peru, even with a youthful squad.

Oh, and congrats Chitown, Colombia were the better side.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2018, 11:49:15 AM by Its DJOver »

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #2289 on: October 12, 2018, 11:37:13 AM »
Some thoughts on the Columbia game.

Dude - Colombia

Also, the US had 5% shot quantity and 100% scoring percentage. Neither of those are any way to go through life.
A warrior is an empowered and compassionate protector of others.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #2290 on: October 12, 2018, 11:54:22 AM »
Dude - Colombia

Wow, that's embarrassing.  Noted and corrected

Also, the US had 5% shot quantity and 100% scoring percentage. Neither of those are any way to go through life.

I could have told you something similar was going happen as soon as the line-ups were announced.  Full strength Colombia, going up against a central midfield trio of Green, Acosta, and Bradley. I was somewhat surprised we were even able to create the chances that we did.  Overall I'm not as concerned about us going forward once we're full strength.  It's the defensive errors that worry me.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #2291 on: October 13, 2018, 12:07:22 PM »
The most impressive thing about Wood's goal was the pass from Weah.  Put it where only Wood could get it.  Other than the goal, Wood was pretty silent most of the night, but that's what happens when we only play one up top.

Colombia was the better team in the first half and for the balance of the game, but agreed that the second USA goal was excellent. Weah put the absolute perfect weight on that ball. Very impressively placed. Wood worked to get to it, but that was really impressive.

This game showed how tough this transition will be. The defense was mostly okay for the better part of 60 minutes, then it came apart at the end. The midfield really struggled to keep possession. I thought both Weah and Saief had impressive moments, but when you take Pulisic, McKinnie, and Adams all out, it's clear there's a step down. I suppose that bodes well for what the future of our midfield may look like, but hard right now. And up front...well, Wood couldn't do much on his own. We really need to find who that next guy will be. Whether Sargent, Novakovich, or someone else, I'd like to see the young guys get more time up there.

Personally, I was glad to see Bradley out there. I get that he's been a divisive figure, but he's been a crucial part of a lot of success. As captain, he was the easy person for people to go after with the T&T debacle, but that was a year-long process that had a lot more to do with what happened at the top than anything that should be placed on any individual player. I could see his experience being valuable in the Gold Cup next year.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #2292 on: October 13, 2018, 06:38:04 PM »
The midfield really struggled to keep possession. I thought both Weah and Saief had impressive moments, but when you take Pulisic, McKinnie, and Adams all out, it's clear there's a step down.

This is why I'm not too concerned with the lack of chances created.  It has also become painfully obvious that we need to play 2 up top, and I think one of those has to be Jozy.  He offers a dimension that no one else does.

The more concerning aspect was the defensive lapses.  Other than CCV, and the possibility of Tim Ream, Erik Palmer Brown, or Shaq Moore getting minutes, that's probably what our back line is going to look like for the next 5-10 years.  A lot of good chemistry can be formed by then, but if the likes of Brooks, Miazga, Robinson, Yedlin, and Steffen struggle, we don't really have any alternative.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #2293 on: November 17, 2018, 07:18:05 AM »

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #2294 on: November 17, 2018, 07:21:33 AM »
He hasn't been playing as much this year.  I don't see where he's going to get a lot of time at Chelsea either.  I don't know a great deal about tactics, but I also don't see their style as fitting him.  So he probably goes out on loan somewhere next year?

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #2295 on: November 17, 2018, 11:04:10 AM »
I could see a move to the Prem in the near future, but one, it won't happen in January, and two I honestly hope he doesn't go to a "big six" club.  He wouldn't get the minutes he needs.  No way he starts over Hazard, Pedro, Willian, or even RLC.  I'd much rather see him go to a club that is mid table.  Big enough to have no real threat of relegation, but small enough that he could be a focal part of the offense.  Right now, I'd probably list Bournemouth, Watford, or Burnley, although I think it'd be unlikely.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #2296 on: November 18, 2018, 11:31:20 AM »
I'd much rather see him go to a club that is mid table.  Big enough to have no real threat of relegation, but small enough that he could be a focal part of the offense.  Right now, I'd probably list Bournemouth, Watford, or Burnley, although I think it'd be unlikely.

If so, it would have to be a loan. No way any mid-table team is paying 40-60 million € for a player, You might be able to get a club like Everton to pay that kind of fee, but of the three you list, none have ever even paid 30M for a player.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #2297 on: November 18, 2018, 11:57:34 AM »
If so, it would have to be a loan. No way any mid-table team is paying 40-60 million € for a player, You might be able to get a club like Everton to pay that kind of fee, but of the three you list, none have ever even paid 30M for a player.

I wouldn't be opposed to a loan, although I think Dortmund would prefer to sell, and I also am not sure that the price would be to high for them.  Just looking at Bournemouth for example.  They're in the PL, so with the new TV deal, they're getting more and more money.  They also have players that other clubs are looking to buy that could create quite a bit of money for them.  Chelsea continues to be linked with Nathan Ake (currently valued at 25 mil, and you know Chelsea would pay more than that),  a number of clubs are looking at Callum Wilson (currently valued at 15 mil, but if he continues his form (6 goals in 12 games) his price will skyrocket.  His value will also increase due to his call-ups to the 3 lions, as well as his English Nationality).  Now they would have to buy a replacement for Ake, but they already have Josh King lined up to take over Wilsons role.  Again, I doubt that It'll happen, but I don't think it would be because of $$$. 

I'm not sure where Pulisic will end up (although I think it'll be for significantly less than the 70 mil quoted in the article), but my personal preference would be that if he moves to the Prem it would be somewhere where he could at least walk into the 18 man squad, if not the starting 11.  As you point out, Everton would be a very interesting landing spot.  We will see, sorry for the tangent.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #2298 on: November 18, 2018, 12:07:55 PM »
As you point out, Everton would be a very interesting landing spot.  We will see, sorry for the tangent.

I think it's a worthy topic. Pulisic right now looks like the linchpin of our future, where he ends up at from a club perspective will be important. I'd love for him to become the heir apparent to a top-10 in the world club, but as you note, him playing is most important. I'd rather him be a focal point at a mid-table club for 2-3 years before a move to a top-tier club than to languish on some big club's bench.

Disappointed by the USA/England match. After the early chance from Pulisic, England scored and we never really seemed likely to get back in it. With most of our first choice guys, I was hoping for some better chances. The biggest problem right now though is the continued presence of Sarachan. I don't know who the next manager will be, but for the love of god, just make a freaking hire so we can install a system and start getting these guys into roles they will actually be playing for the foreseeable future.

I understood waiting until after the World Cup, but we just passed the year mark that Sarachan has had the "interim" label on him. A year without a full-time manager when we have so many young guys that will need a structure to play in for the Gold Cup, then Qualifying and beyond? Make the damn hire.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #2299 on: November 18, 2018, 12:13:51 PM »
I think it's a worthy topic. Pulisic right now looks like the linchpin of our future, where he ends up at from a club perspective will be important. I'd love for him to become the heir apparent to a top-10 in the world club, but as you note, him playing is most important. I'd rather him be a focal point at a mid-table club for 2-3 years before a move to a top-tier club than to languish on some big club's bench.

Disappointed by the USA/England match. After the early chance from Pulisic, England scored and we never really seemed likely to get back in it. With most of our first choice guys, I was hoping for some better chances. The biggest problem right now though is the continued presence of Sarachan. I don't know who the next manager will be, but for the love of god, just make a freaking hire so we can install a system and start getting these guys into roles they will actually be playing for the foreseeable future.

I understood waiting until after the World Cup, but we just passed the year mark that Sarachan has had the "interim" label on him. A year without a full-time manager when we have so many young guys that will need a structure to play in for the Gold Cup, then Qualifying and beyond? Make the damn hire.

This.  So much this.  This x1000.

The only logical explanation is that they already have an agreement with either Vermes, or Berhalter, and were just waiting until their respective clubs were out of the MLS playoffs.  Vermes is in the Western Conference Finals with SKC, and Berhalter just got knocked out of the East with the Crew (but Sarachan had already named the squad so they let him have these last two games).  I would be extremely shocked if one of those two didn't get the job.