[Today at 11:00:09 AM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by BobWildLoyalist
[Today at 10:36:31 AM]

Banquet by muwarrior69
[Today at 08:43:40 AM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by MU82
[Today at 07:00:36 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Futbol Talk  (Read 803378 times)

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
Re: Futbol Talk
« Reply #3400 on: June 30, 2021, 02:23:49 PM »
Good call, Zig.

Looks like Mendes is our new chairman.

Official, Nuno in at THFC.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #3401 on: June 30, 2021, 02:40:45 PM »
Jadon Sancho to Man U apparently a done deal.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #3402 on: June 30, 2021, 02:42:50 PM »
Official, Nuno in at THFC.

I don't hate this, but maybe because I'm just glad the circus is over (maybe?).

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #3403 on: June 30, 2021, 02:47:40 PM »

Weird timing, you'd think that they'd have waited until after the Euros to announce.  I guess he wasn't playing much anyways.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #3404 on: June 30, 2021, 03:12:24 PM »

I'll believe it when I see him in a Man U kit.  Feel like its been a "certainty" since 2019.

I don't hate this, but maybe because I'm just glad the circus is over (maybe?).

He's a good manager.  Given they were supposedly that close to Gattuso, I think its a massive win

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #3405 on: July 02, 2021, 01:14:34 PM »
Full marks to the Swiss and Sommer has been marvelous, but my god the Spanish have to be the most disappointing power player of the tourney.  Other than destroying Slovakia, they were terrible against Sweden.  Scuffling against Poland.  And then they nearly choked late against Croatia.

They've been a heavy favorite all game, and cant find a second goal, even with the last 30 min up a man.  Just brutal.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #3406 on: July 02, 2021, 01:32:40 PM »
The fighting Federers make it to PK. That being said, I want Spain to win. Their food is much better.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #3407 on: July 02, 2021, 02:26:39 PM »
The fighting Federers make it to PK. That being said, I want Spain to win. Their food is much better.

Paella > Fondue

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #3408 on: July 02, 2021, 02:43:32 PM »
Paella > Fondue
Yes. Also
Iberico de Belotta  Ham>Swiss Steak. Dont know any other Swiss meats
« Last Edit: July 02, 2021, 02:51:51 PM by lawdog77 »

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #3409 on: July 02, 2021, 02:51:38 PM »
For those that want to see a clinic on how VAR should be utilized, turn on this Belgium v Italy match. Italian goal correctly ruled off after a quick review. Belgium pen confirmed after a quick review. Textbook example of how to correctly use VAR. Well done.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2021, 03:03:04 PM by Its DJOver »

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #3410 on: July 02, 2021, 02:53:10 PM »
I enjoy watching Italy  play. Its the futbol version of 40 minutes of hell
« Last Edit: July 02, 2021, 03:25:36 PM by lawdog77 »

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #3411 on: July 02, 2021, 04:40:36 PM »
Yes. Also
Iberico de Belotta  Ham>Swiss Steak. Dont know any other Swiss meats

Ah....yes.  There's also sopa de ajo lawdog.  The Spanish Garlic Soup.  It's absolutely tremendous and quite easy and inexpensive to make.  The key however is NOT to cook the bread in the soup.  Grab a cookie sheet, and cut up a baguette into cube sized pieces with a little olive oil and smoked paprika.  Crisp up those bad boys and then drop then into the soup.  As for Swiss food?   Rotsi is impossible not to like.  How can you go wrong with hash browns with Gruyere cheese inside? 

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #3412 on: July 02, 2021, 05:51:54 PM »
There are so many good Spanish foods. I loved walking through Barrio Santa Cruz in Seville, stopping at the endless amounts of bars gettting their tapas. Not to mention the eclectic dining in Barcelona, classical cuisine in Madrid, Ferran Adria.

The second match had me conflicted.  I love moules et frites, but Italy has the wider variety.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #3413 on: July 02, 2021, 06:06:54 PM »
There are so many good Spanish foods. I loved walking through Barrio Santa Cruz in Seville, stopping at the endless amounts of bars gettting their tapas. Not to mention the eclectic dining in Barcelona, classical cuisine in Madrid, Ferran Adria.

The second match had me conflicted.  I love moules et frites, but Italy has the wider variety.

Ha!!  Hard to compete with Italy foodwise...it's most often a mismatch.  Of course there is Belgian beer and waffles along with the moules et fries. 

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #3414 on: July 02, 2021, 06:32:38 PM »
Of course there is Belgian beer and waffles along with the moules et fries.

Belgian beer aside, Belgian food sucks.  It’s heavy and dense and seems to mirror the weather.  Frites are tasty but lord knows I don’t want them with every meal.   The best food I’ve had in my many trips there is at the myriad global restaurants in Antwerp and Brussels due to the large immigrant population

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #3415 on: July 02, 2021, 07:03:50 PM »
Honestly, Roberto Martinez should have resigned as soon as the final whistle blew.  Nothing against the Italians, they have a strong squad, but he was completely outclassed by Mancini. His inability to get DeBruyne on the ball, create chances for Lukaku, or realize that Doku was getting whatever he wanted down the left was baffling.  Just straight up got outmanaged, no other way to put it.  Blew the best chance for their "golden generation" to get any silverware.  Yes the WC is only 18 months off, and DeBruyne, Lukaku, Carrasco and Tielemans will still be producing, but how many more knocks does Hazard have?  Their backline is also 35, 34, and 32 respectively, throw in Witsel at 32, Mertens at 34, and not a ton coming through the youth ranks.  Borderline criminal that he couldn't get more out of them.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #3416 on: July 03, 2021, 10:43:16 AM »
Okay, today's first match is a tossup:
Stegt flæsk med persillesovs vs Vepřo Knedlo Zelo

Honestly, I don't know much about either cuisine.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #3417 on: July 03, 2021, 10:52:50 AM »
Okay, today's first match is a tossup:
Stegt flæsk med persillesovs vs Vepřo Knedlo Zelo

Honestly, I don't know much about either cuisine.

You're not missing much.  Although there are several very good restaurants in Copenhagen.  :)

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #3418 on: July 11, 2021, 05:40:49 PM »
Think you can very much call into question Southgate's substitutions here.  I get that Rashford and Sancho are good, young attacking players, but if you're bringing someone on that late, it's just to take a pen.  I'd much rather have the more experienced players out there, and both the young guys missed, and both with pretty poor pens.  Also giving the last kick to Saka over Grealish, Sterling, even Shaw? Not sure I see the reasoning behind that.

jutaw22mu

• All American
« Reply #3419 on: July 11, 2021, 06:31:53 PM »
Should have put the mouth breathing mumbler in the 5 spot and Saka in the middle somewhere.  Hard enough to be 19 and taking a PK, even harder when it is for all the marbles. 

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #3420 on: July 11, 2021, 07:38:35 PM »
Think you can very much call into question Southgate's substitutions here.  I get that Rashford and Sancho are good, young attacking players, but if you're bringing someone on that late, it's just to take a pen.  I'd much rather have the more experienced players out there, and both the young guys missed, and both with pretty poor pens.  Also giving the last kick to Saka over Grealish, Sterling, even Shaw? Not sure I see the reasoning behind that.

He brought them on in place of Kyle Walker and Henderson, who almost have more caps than Sancho and Rashford combined.  Both have played in massive moments and won big silverware.  Both would have been much better options.  The time to bring on Rashford was 30 min before if he was going to

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #3421 on: July 11, 2021, 10:43:24 PM »
Southgate is trying to protect his guys. There are absolutely people who did not want to take a penalty.

Shaka I don’t get, but Rashford did hit a big one against Colombia in 2018. Woulda been half tempted to throw Pickford in there at 5 after his huge save. One of the best penalty saves I’ve ever seen.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #3422 on: July 12, 2021, 07:07:45 AM »
Nice to know that the U.S. doesn't have a monopoly on racist d-bags.

https://apnews.com/article/europe-sports-soccer-international-soccer-world-cup-d5f2aa978ad8bd8d74994bcd2528edfa?utm_source=Sailthru&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=New%20Campaign&utm_term=Morning%20Wire%20Subscribers

LONDON (AP) — Three Black players who missed penalty kicks for England in the decisive European Championship shootout against Italy on Sunday night were subjected to racist abuse online, prompting the English Football Association to issue a statement condemning the language used against the players.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #3423 on: July 12, 2021, 08:02:49 AM »
Nice to know that the U.S. doesn't have a monopoly on racist d-bags.
So, you're happy there is racism in other parts of the world?

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #3424 on: July 12, 2021, 01:33:51 PM »
Southgate is trying to protect his guys. There are absolutely people who did not want to take a penalty.

Shaka I don’t get, but Rashford did hit a big one against Colombia in 2018. Woulda been half tempted to throw Pickford in there at 5 after his huge save. One of the best penalty saves I’ve ever seen.

Really?  I think the timing of it was pretty epic obviously, but it was kind of a crap take from a normally brilliant penalty taker in Jorginho.  He didn't do his normal hop, sort of hesitated, and then sort of scuffed one.  Even if Pickford broke late he could have saved it with ease.  I feel like in terms of pure save quality, Donarumma had one equally as good as stopped a slow low roller.

feedback