collapse

* Recent Posts

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[Today at 12:00:10 AM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[April 28, 2024, 11:58:04 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 09:55:19 PM]

Banquet by Skatastrophy
[April 28, 2024, 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[April 28, 2024, 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[April 28, 2024, 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Futbol Talk  (Read 802032 times)

JWags85

• All American
Re: Futbol Talk
« Reply #3350 on: June 07, 2021, 12:32:58 PM »
We did. Westbrook/popcorn.

I anticipate the shenanigans from last night's game will be top discussion on ESPN for the next couple weeks.

I doubt it.  ESPN has a deal with Liga MX and I think a deal with the Mexican National Team.  It will be disregarded like it has been for a decade plus.  It will pop up in interviews or the vignettes US Soccer does, but Mexican fans will continue to get away with it like they always have.  Curbing their standard chant like we saw towards the end of the game might happen, but I doubt the projectiles.  The only thing that may stop it is the players or governing body of Mexican soccer pleading for it, but thats unlikely.

Berhalter's starting lineup was bizarre. No idea why Tyler Adams didnt feature until so late if he was supposedly healthy.  No idea why Ream gets shredded for 85 min and Reggie Cannon doesn't come on until the 105th minute.  No idea why you bring in Musah and only play him 20 min in the last 3 matches, and none in the Nations League.

But I'll take a victory however you get it

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #3351 on: June 07, 2021, 12:43:04 PM »
If it were football, they would talk about it for the next month.

Basketball, a couple of weeks.

A National League soccer game?  You'll get a day.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #3352 on: June 07, 2021, 01:15:16 PM »
I doubt it.  ESPN has a deal with Liga MX and I think a deal with the Mexican National Team.  It will be disregarded like it has been for a decade plus.  It will pop up in interviews or the vignettes US Soccer does, but Mexican fans will continue to get away with it like they always have.  Curbing their standard chant like we saw towards the end of the game might happen, but I doubt the projectiles.  The only thing that may stop it is the players or governing body of Mexican soccer pleading for it, but thats unlikely.

Berhalter's starting lineup was bizarre. No idea why Tyler Adams didnt feature until so late if he was supposedly healthy.  No idea why Ream gets shredded for 85 min and Reggie Cannon doesn't come on until the 105th minute.  No idea why you bring in Musah and only play him 20 min in the last 3 matches, and none in the Nations League.

But I'll take a victory however you get it

Yup.

I am highly suspicious that chant first started in the 95th minute.

Concacaf is so chicken-crap when it comes to Mexico

I also don't understand Greg's initial lineup. Leaving Adams out is fine. But if you're going to play 3/5 at the back, you don't leave Ream isolated on one side by himself. And, when you see Ream getting abused repeatedly, you don't leave him in the game in the same position for a 2nd half.

Most of his subs were fine, but they were all making up for his initial blunder.

I don't agree with taking Reyna off as early as he did unless Gio asked for it.

I also don't agree with not cap-tying Musah, unless he asked to just observe.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2021, 01:18:52 PM by jesmu84 »

injuryBug

• Team Captain
« Reply #3353 on: June 07, 2021, 03:48:40 PM »
If it were football, they would talk about it for the next month.

Basketball, a couple of weeks.

A National League soccer game?  You'll get a day.

Look at Kyrie he almost got hit by a water bottle and the guy was arrested.  2 players did get hit by cups or bottles and nothing will happen.
would be nice to find a way to not have the mexican fans sitting so close to the field for our home games.  Christian should really pick a different corner to celebrate in

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #3354 on: June 07, 2021, 03:50:55 PM »
Look at Kyrie he almost got hit by a water bottle and the guy was arrested.  2 players did get hit by cups or bottles and nothing will happen.
would be nice to find a way to not have the mexican fans sitting so close to the field for our home games.  Christian should really pick a different corner to celebrate in

Lol.

Victim blaming? Really?

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #3355 on: June 08, 2021, 07:58:30 AM »
5 arrested, not quite sure how you can have sufficient "security footage" to arrest one person for throwing objects, but not the dozen that likely did?  Oh well, progress I guess.

https://www.denverpost.com/2021/06/07/us-mexico-concacaf-nations-league-final-arrests/

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #3356 on: June 09, 2021, 10:37:29 PM »
Two thoughts from tonight's (and the previous 2 games as well).  1. Why did we not see more of Adams and Aaronson?  They were both excellent tonight. 2. With the emerging talent up top (Sargent's been known for a while, but Dike, Hoppe, and Siebatcheu) Jozy should not be on the plane to Qatar.  He'll be 33 for the WC, and I would absolutely much rather have the younger players in that role.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2021, 10:40:57 PM by Its DJOver »

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #3357 on: June 09, 2021, 11:59:01 PM »
Two thoughts from tonight's (and the previous 2 games as well).  1. Why did we not see more of Adams and Aaronson?  They were both excellent tonight. 2. With the emerging talent up top (Sargent's been known for a while, but Dike, Hoppe, and Siebatcheu) Jozy should not be on the plane to Qatar.  He'll be 33 for the WC, and I would absolutely much rather have the younger players in that role.

HELLLLLLLLLL NAWWWWW.

Thanks for all the memories Jozy, but there is zero reason for an aging striker, who has had trouble staying healthy, playing in a second tier league to be on the roster over young potential studs playing week in and out against the top European competition.  Jozy has 20 goals total over the last 4 MLS seasons, so it’s not like he’s even been in fine  form.  He and Michael Bradley can post up and watch the matches together at one of their plush residences in T Dot bought with the huge checks they’ve cashed over the last 7-8 years.

I also want no part of Jordan Morris on that roster either, personally

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #3358 on: June 11, 2021, 03:34:56 PM »
HELLLLLLLLLL NAWWWWW.

Thanks for all the memories Jozy, but there is zero reason for an aging striker, who has had trouble staying healthy, playing in a second tier league to be on the roster over young potential studs playing week in and out against the top European competition.  Jozy has 20 goals total over the last 4 MLS seasons, so it’s not like he’s even been in fine  form.  He and Michael Bradley can post up and watch the matches together at one of their plush residences in T Dot bought with the huge checks they’ve cashed over the last 7-8 years.

I also want no part of Jordan Morris on that roster either, personally

I'm with you on Morris, but I'm pretty confident that he'll be there.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #3359 on: June 11, 2021, 03:47:11 PM »
I'm with you on Morris, but I'm pretty confident that he'll be there.

I still hold onto hope that somehow Berhalter doesn't make the WC as manager...which I know is highly unlikely.   But if he does, I agree with you.  He's still very much legacy USMNT and there are a couple darlings still in the pool.  Morris is one.  Zardes is another but I think his time has thankfully passed.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #3360 on: June 11, 2021, 05:05:25 PM »
I still hold onto hope that somehow Berhalter doesn't make the WC as manager...which I know is highly unlikely.   But if he does, I agree with you.  He's still very much legacy USMNT and there are a couple darlings still in the pool.  Morris is one.  Zardes is another but I think his time has thankfully passed.

Gregg will coach 2022. Which is fine, ultimately.

The big hire will be the coach for the 2026 cycle when this group is reaching its full potential and the WC is on home soil.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #3361 on: June 11, 2021, 07:30:04 PM »
Gregg will coach 2022. Which is fine, ultimately.

The big hire will be the coach for the 2026 cycle when this group is reaching its full potential and the WC is on home soil.

It will be interesting to see who coaches that cycle. Have to think with the lines of Pulisic, Reyna, McKinnie, Dest, & hosting you could shoot higher than we often seem to.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #3362 on: June 12, 2021, 11:55:07 AM »
Incredibly scary situation in Denmark right now.  Don't know why they kept the cameras on him as long as they did, cut to studio ffs.

Update: match has been suspended.  Only decision possible really.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2021, 12:11:57 PM by Its DJOver »

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #3363 on: June 12, 2021, 12:21:09 PM »
Incredibly scary situation in Denmark right now.  Don't know why they kept the cameras on him as long as they did, cut to studio ffs.

Match rightfully suspended.

Meanwhile, when Keyonte Johnson collapsed during the Florida/FSU game it continued.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #3364 on: June 12, 2021, 01:22:04 PM »
Scary stuff, looks like he's in the hospital and in stable condition.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #3365 on: June 12, 2021, 01:39:20 PM »

It’s restarted, now at halftime

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #3366 on: June 12, 2021, 01:51:20 PM »
It’s restarted, now at halftime

Yep, apparently Eriksen facetimed the team and told them to play on.  Still gotta be a tough situation for the players though.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #3367 on: June 12, 2021, 02:28:27 PM »
Yep, apparently Eriksen facetimed the team and told them to play on.  Still gotta be a tough situation for the players though.

Super rough.  They definitely have looked out of it.  Can’t even imagine

Update: apparently UEFA gave the option of finishing or playing tomorrow at noon.  SHEESH. Eriksen message or not, that’s still putting a team under the gun
« Last Edit: June 12, 2021, 04:13:09 PM by JWags85 »

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #3368 on: June 12, 2021, 10:19:52 PM »
Super rough.  They definitely have looked out of it.  Can’t even imagine

Update: apparently UEFA gave the option of finishing or playing tomorrow at noon.  SHEESH. Eriksen message or not, that’s still putting a team under the gun

But really what is UEFA supposed to do? 
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #3369 on: June 14, 2021, 03:29:34 PM »
I swear it feels like anytime Spain plays a non-elite team, they either waterfalls 3-4 goals or waste every chance and somehow scuff a late 1 goal win. No in between

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #3370 on: June 15, 2021, 12:30:46 PM »
Back to back matches of lesser teams largely playing for a draw, ugh.  At least Sweden had some decent counter attacking.  This Hungary-Portugal match has been beyond gross.

21Jumpstreet

• All American
« Reply #3371 on: June 15, 2021, 12:53:37 PM »
Back to back matches of lesser teams largely playing for a draw, ugh.  At least Sweden had some decent counter attacking.  This Hungary-Portugal match has been beyond gross.

I didn’t mind it, thought Hungary fought…until it fell apart entirely.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #3372 on: June 15, 2021, 02:12:35 PM »
I thought Hungary was way more aggressive than Sweden. I mean, Spain literally had over 85% of the possession. That’s ridiculous.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #3373 on: June 15, 2021, 05:04:13 PM »
I thought Hungary was way more aggressive than Sweden. I mean, Spain literally had over 85% of the possession. That’s ridiculous.

I dont disagree.  They were throwing men forward in the second half on counters, especially right after I posted that  ;D  But every time Portugal had possession in the Hungary half, there were 8-9 men around the 18 yard box.  It was just not at all entertaining, especially after that Spain/Sweden disaster.  The France/Germany match was 1-0, but infinitely more action and compelling viewing. 

Some people love uber defensive soccer and watching a team put up a wall that the opponent has to pick and prod at all match.  To me its horrid.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #3374 on: June 16, 2021, 07:25:41 AM »
How did Rudiger stay on the field yesterday.  His "bite" certainly wasn't as egregious as some of Suarez's, but it should still be a red, and there's no excuse for missing something like that with VAR, especially with all the hell Pogba was raising about it.

On a brighter note, this was really nice to see, especially Anthony Taylor at the end.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQiJtb0jVco

feedback