[Today at 04:40:13 PM]

Dallas bars tonite by BrewCity83
[Today at 04:40:04 PM]

Where is Marquette? by Dr. Blackheart
[Today at 04:38:52 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by The Sultan of Semantics
[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Futbol Talk  (Read 788116 times)

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
Re: Futbol Talk
« Reply #3375 on: June 17, 2021, 02:21:46 PM »
Daniel Levy should hire Depaul or St John's ADs to handle their manager search.  JFC.  🤪🤪🤪

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #3376 on: June 17, 2021, 04:31:22 PM »
Gattuso's managerial career:

FC Sion: Sacked in under 90 days.

Palermo: Lasts 6 games after only winning 2 before being sacked

OFI Crete: Lasts 6 months, improvement!  Leaves due to supposed financial difficulties but had a winning percentage under 30% and made no friends there.

Pisa: Smartly drops down multiple levels.  Actually gets them promoted to Serie B, leaves suddenly after the season for vague reasons.  Comes back...they finish last and he quits again.

Milan:  Despite showing nothing but crap as a manager, somehow gets to manage the most successful Italian club, presumably because he was a legendary player.  Finishes 5th and 6th, no CL qualification...gets sacked.

Napoli: SOMEHOW ANOTHER TOP CLUB IN ITALY GIVES HIM A JOB.  Napoli misses the CL for the first time in 5 years, and then miss it again.  SACKED

Fiorentina:  In his quest to manage every respected club in Italy, Gattuso somehow gets the Viola gig...and then quits 2 weeks later due to friction with ownership.

In spite of this absolute s***show of a managerial career, Spurs are intrigued.  I mean, Italy loves their own, so I guess I can see what happened there.  But my god, how is anyone in England attracted to him for an opening?  Did Daniel Levy love him for a hot minute at Rangers 20 years ago?

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #3377 on: June 17, 2021, 05:09:22 PM »
Daniel Levy should hire Depaul or St John's ADs to handle their manager search.  JFC.  🤪🤪🤪

What a unnatural carnal knowledgeing mess.

Does this latest screwup fall on the new DoF though?

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #3378 on: June 17, 2021, 05:11:34 PM »
Gattuso's managerial career:

FC Sion: Sacked in under 90 days.

Palermo: Lasts 6 games after only winning 2 before being sacked

OFI Crete: Lasts 6 months, improvement!  Leaves due to supposed financial difficulties but had a winning percentage under 30% and made no friends there.

Pisa: Smartly drops down multiple levels.  Actually gets them promoted to Serie B, leaves suddenly after the season for vague reasons.  Comes back...they finish last and he quits again.

Milan:  Despite showing nothing but crap as a manager, somehow gets to manage the most successful Italian club, presumably because he was a legendary player.  Finishes 5th and 6th, no CL qualification...gets sacked.

Napoli: SOMEHOW ANOTHER TOP CLUB IN ITALY GIVES HIM A JOB.  Napoli misses the CL for the first time in 5 years, and then miss it again.  SACKED

Fiorentina:  In his quest to manage every respected club in Italy, Gattuso somehow gets the Viola gig...and then quits 2 weeks later due to friction with ownership.

In spite of this absolute s***show of a managerial career, Spurs are intrigued.  I mean, Italy loves their own, so I guess I can see what happened there.  But my god, how is anyone in England attracted to him for an opening?  Did Daniel Levy love him for a hot minute at Rangers 20 years ago?

Spurs reddit claims this all has to do with Jorge Mendes? Which is some sort of agent for players and managers?

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #3379 on: June 17, 2021, 05:22:47 PM »
Spurs reddit claims this all has to do with Jorge Mendes? Which is some sort of agent for players and managers?

Mendes a monster, one of the 2-3 most powerful agents in the soccer world.  Ronaldo, De Gea, James Rodriguez, Fabinho, then kind of a whos who of the Portugese soccer scene.  Funny enough, he's also Mourhino's manager.

That being said, it feels insanely short sighted even to placate Mendes.  Mendes' meddling and influence is what blew up the whole Fiorentina situation with Gattuso. Regardless, Gattuso could be coming to White Hart Lane with Bernardo Silva, Ronaldo, De Gea, and Fabinho along with him and it would still be a horrid hire.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #3380 on: June 17, 2021, 06:40:02 PM »
If they want to bring in another Mendes client, just hire Nuno Espirtio Santo.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #3381 on: June 17, 2021, 09:06:08 PM »

Who would have been an excellent hire, funny enough

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #3382 on: June 18, 2021, 07:47:17 AM »
My guess is that Spurs aren't going to be splashing much cash around the next few years because they have to pay for that stadium, and that's why high level candidates are balking.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #3384 on: June 23, 2021, 05:39:19 PM »
https://twitter.com/ReutersGraphics/status/1407809540133949446?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

Man, the two sides of this bracket look very uneven.  Going to be some truly great matches in the top half, and if a Cinderella story happens, feel like it's got to come from the bottom half.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #3385 on: June 24, 2021, 03:04:16 PM »
Karim Benzema scored two goals at the same time at 46:44.  1:44 into stoppage time, and 1:44 of the second half.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #3386 on: June 28, 2021, 03:31:30 PM »
I question France's tactics at times but boy do they score some pretty goals. That first goal from Benzema was something.

21Jumpstreet

• All American
« Reply #3387 on: June 28, 2021, 03:38:45 PM »
I question France's tactics at times but boy do they score some pretty goals. That first goal from Benzema was something.

An incredible 5 minutes, incredible turn of events. And, Pogba, oh my. He frustrates me but damn that was world class.

Edit: Okay SUI, world class goal!

Edit edit: Absolute scenes!
« Last Edit: June 28, 2021, 03:49:05 PM by 21Jumpstreet »

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #3388 on: June 28, 2021, 03:55:27 PM »
This is insanity.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #3389 on: June 28, 2021, 05:37:01 PM »
These knockout stage games have been such a huge step up from the group stage ones it's hard to believe it's the same competition.  A lot of "weaker" teams playing to the level of the "stronger" ones.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #3390 on: June 28, 2021, 07:32:42 PM »
These knockout stage games have been such a huge step up from the group stage ones it's hard to believe it's the same competition.  A lot of "weaker" teams playing to the level of the "stronger" ones.

The first halves have been like the group stages. Cagey, cautious, limited.  But second halves have been absolute chaos.

I think it’s interesting when you look at the “weaker” teams.  It’s not like the old Ukraine teams with Shevchenko, or B&H playing through Dzeko. Denmark, Switzerland, and even Austria have starting 11s pretty filled with guys who play not just in Germany or Italy, but for CL level clubs in those leagues.  They don’t have the France or Germany lineups filled with PSG/Bayern/Real/Barca guys but they have tons of talent who aren’t light on high level experience. So you have teams that given tight games or close moments and they are more than up for it.

The only true surprise for me was the Czechs, but that red had everything to do with it.   France going down was obviously crazy but the Swiss are far from minnows

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #3391 on: June 28, 2021, 09:51:13 PM »
Do soccer people like VAR? Because holy hell does it ruin the best moments of games.  Watching the Swiss wait to start celebrating to make sure VAR wasn't going to reverse for the keeper coming off his line bummed me out.  And the VAR reversals for an inch or two on offside calls is lame too.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #3392 on: June 28, 2021, 10:06:11 PM »
VAR in theory is a very good thing.  VAR in practice has very much been a mixed bag, mostly because different countries use it in different ways (surprisingly MLS is one of the leagues that executes it well).  VAR at the Euros has for the most part been well executed.  Some delayed celebrations is worth getting the call right IMO.  The amount of delay that has happened in various leagues since VAR's inception (over the most miniscule margins) has been way too excessive IMO and hurts more than it helps.  The fact that both offsides and handball rules have been tweaked multiple times over the last 2 years or so suggests that it may have gone too far and needs to be dialed back.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #3393 on: June 28, 2021, 10:33:07 PM »
VAR in theory is a very good thing.  VAR in practice has very much been a mixed bag, mostly because different countries use it in different ways (surprisingly MLS is one of the leagues that executes it well).  VAR at the Euros has for the most part been well executed.  Some delayed celebrations is worth getting the call right IMO.  The amount of delay that has happened in various leagues since VAR's inception (over the most miniscule margins) has been way too excessive IMO and hurts more than it helps.  The fact that both offsides and handball rules have been tweaked multiple times over the last 2 years or so suggests that it may have gone too far and needs to be dialed back.

That's all fair.  And for egregious calls, I agree its worth getting it right.  But for things like coming off the line early on a penalty or an inch or two on an offside call, that stinks.  I'm not sure how you fix that, especially on offside.  Those calls remind me a lot of out vs safe on a steal attempt in baseball.  Once you're looking at it on video, you have to make the correct call, but it flips from the spirit of the rule in real time to the letter on review.  For baseball steal attempts, if the throw beats the runner and the tag is close enough to make the ump think it was applied, I want to see that guy called out regardless of what is on the replay.  Similarly for offside, if momentum in real time makes the ref think one thing but it turns out a defender's arm position kept a guy on (can't remember which Euro game had a call reversed for that) then I'd rather have kept the original call. 

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #3394 on: June 29, 2021, 12:05:29 AM »
That's all fair.  And for egregious calls, I agree its worth getting it right.  But for things like coming off the line early on a penalty or an inch or two on an offside call, that stinks.  I'm not sure how you fix that, especially on offside.  Those calls remind me a lot of out vs safe on a steal attempt in baseball.  Once you're looking at it on video, you have to make the correct call, but it flips from the spirit of the rule in real time to the letter on review.  For baseball steal attempts, if the throw beats the runner and the tag is close enough to make the ump think it was applied, I want to see that guy called out regardless of what is on the replay.  Similarly for offside, if momentum in real time makes the ref think one thing but it turns out a defender's arm position kept a guy on (can't remember which Euro game had a call reversed for that) then I'd rather have kept the original call.

Agreed. I think it’s helpful for reviewing contact and other penalties.  And making offside checks.  But I HATE HATE HATE bringing out the colored line and watching for minuscule separations for offsides. A striker having his hand past a defender’s back foot by 6 inches while his entire body is otherwise onside has no real advantage but gets called back 95% of the time with VAR.  I also think they can be far too liberal with fouls in the lead up to goals as well.  I hate most of those reviews.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #3395 on: June 29, 2021, 03:49:38 PM »
Agreed. I think it’s helpful for reviewing contact and other penalties.  And making offside checks.  But I HATE HATE HATE bringing out the colored line and watching for minuscule separations for offsides. A striker having his hand past a defender’s back foot by 6 inches while his entire body is otherwise onside has no real advantage but gets called back 95% of the time with VAR.  I also think they can be far too liberal with fouls in the lead up to goals as well.  I hate most of those reviews.

I totally agree on the reversed calls when a player is a millimeter offsides, but I'm not sure what can be done about that. If you're going to review the play, and the review shows the play offsides - even just a fraction - you have to overturn it. Otherwise, you're saying "he was offsides, but not by much, so we'll allow a rules violation," which seems an even worse outcome to me.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #3396 on: June 29, 2021, 04:19:19 PM »
I totally agree on the reversed calls when a player is a millimeter offsides, but I'm not sure what can be done about that. If you're going to review the play, and the review shows the play offsides - even just a fraction - you have to overturn it. Otherwise, you're saying "he was offsides, but not by much, so we'll allow a rules violation," which seems an even worse outcome to me.

I don't have a good answer.  Maybe just make it replay instead of virtual graph paper?  Trying to find a way to keep the spirit of the rule without taking too much out of the game.  I mean, its the same with handballs IMO.  Great for reviewing arm/hand placement or position in and out of the box.  Terrible for microscopic determination of arm or chest or if it was a glancing contact.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #3397 on: June 29, 2021, 05:07:44 PM »
Couple options. 1, Give the refs a time limit.  Everyone wants the correct call, but if it takes more than 90 seconds looking at the screen, it's too close to the point that you should just go with whatever was called on the field. 2, Get rid of the "freeze frame and drawing line" thing.  I get it, by doing that, you can be 100% accurate, however, if you're doing that based on cameras that can't determine the exact nanosecond that the ball left the passers foot, you can't say that you're being 100% accurate.  Give the ref the ability to look at it in slow-mo, but again, if you can't determine on/off from 2 looks at slow-mo, it's too close to call, and you should go with the ruling on the field.  3, Expand the rule.  I know offsides is by definition a black or white determination, but prior to VAR, you would hear literally everyone say "if he's level, then he's on".  There is no being exactly level, so they were in a sense saying that if it's too close to call, give the benefit of the doubt to the attacker.  I see no reason why we can't continue to give the attacker this benefit. 

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #3398 on: June 29, 2021, 06:38:28 PM »
Euro knockout stage is drunk

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #3399 on: June 30, 2021, 10:58:02 AM »

Good call, Zig.

Looks like Mendes is our new chairman.