collapse

* Recent Posts

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[Today at 12:00:10 AM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[April 28, 2024, 11:58:04 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 09:55:19 PM]

Banquet by Skatastrophy
[April 28, 2024, 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[April 28, 2024, 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[April 28, 2024, 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Futbol Talk  (Read 801756 times)

Its DJOver

• All American
Re: Futbol Talk
« Reply #3425 on: July 12, 2021, 01:41:37 PM »
Honestly, all the pens that weren't converted were pretty poor, Sancho's being the worst. Other than Jorginho scuffing his shot, and Rashford not even getting it on frame, they were all at poor heights, not nearly close enough to a corner, and with not nearly enough pace.  At this level there's really no excuse for not being able to do exactly what Kane or Maguire did; right in a corner, with pace, no chance of stopping it even if you guess right.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #3426 on: July 12, 2021, 04:45:09 PM »
Honestly, all the pens that weren't converted were pretty poor, Sancho's being the worst. Other than Jorginho scuffing his shot, and Rashford not even getting it on frame, they were all at poor heights, not nearly close enough to a corner, and with not nearly enough pace.  At this level there's really no excuse for not being able to do exactly what Kane or Maguire did; right in a corner, with pace, no chance of stopping it even if you guess right.

Totally agree.  You have Sancho who scores at a high rate in Germany, Rashford who has 55 goals in the Prem, Jorginho who, while not  a goal scorer is a stud known for amazing ball placement…and they all can’t muster a good strike but Maguire, who literally scores about once a year on a header, laces a perfect belter

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #3427 on: July 12, 2021, 07:21:39 PM »
Totally agree.  You have Sancho who scores at a high rate in Germany, Rashford who has 55 goals in the Prem, Jorginho who, while not  a goal scorer is a stud known for amazing ball placement…and they all can’t muster a good strike but Maguire, who literally scores about once a year on a header, laces a perfect belter

It's more mental than anything really.  I thought this was pretty funny last season, you have the most expensive squad in the history of club soccer, and you can't convert a PK to the point that the keeper is trying to take them.

https://talksport.com/football/834067/ederson-penalty-man-city-tottenham/

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #3428 on: July 29, 2021, 10:44:07 PM »
Well I think this second penalty awarded to Mexico might be my new record holder for least favorite use of VAR ever.

Edit: ball don't lie.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #3429 on: July 29, 2021, 11:00:19 PM »
Yea, I know I'm biased, but this is one of the more one sided officiated games I've seen in a while. Though TBF if all teams play the way they did tonight, US loses in the finals regardless. Need a much better performance.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #3430 on: July 29, 2021, 11:29:36 PM »
Again, I know I'm biased, but I thought Canada was the better team. Let's see what happens Sunday. On paper, should be a Mexico walk in the park.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #3431 on: July 30, 2021, 11:49:26 AM »
Turner have any real chance of supplanting Steffan for the WCQs?

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #3432 on: July 30, 2021, 11:50:40 AM »

He should. Has been notably better. Seems like playing in MLS does more for your form than sitting front row at City games.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #3433 on: July 30, 2021, 01:03:37 PM »

Don't forget about Horvath.

Suddenly, US has a ton of depth at keeper.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #3434 on: July 30, 2021, 01:32:15 PM »
I've mentioned it a bunch about how penalties at the top level should be converted 100% of the time.  US put on a clinic, Dutch had some very poor pens.  I think there is an argument to be made that the Dutch were the better team overall today, but if half your penalties are that poor, you can have no complaints.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #3435 on: July 30, 2021, 01:54:23 PM »
Don't forget about Horvath.

Suddenly, US has a ton of depth at keeper.

I mean the US always has.  Thats been their international top level strength for 25 years.

After Meola (who probably would have been a Euro level keeper if he was a decade later) you had Keller and Friedel who played in England for close to 2 decades each.  Plus the 3rd string was Sommer who was sneaky solid and actually played in the PL before them.

Then Tim Howard arrived, say no more.  But that also brought Marcus Hahnemann into even more depth, again played a long time in the UK.  Then Guzan as well.

Then over the last 5-6 years you add Horvath, Steffan.  Replace your reliable 3rd string MLS keeper in Rimando with Sean Johnson.  Now Turner is emerging.  And you got David Ochoa and Chituru Odunze waiting in the wings.

If the US's whole national development was like their keepers, they'd have been a WC contender years ago.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #3436 on: July 30, 2021, 10:50:24 PM »
The US keeper depth has been poor since Howard retired. Guzan was a fine backup, but he was never close to what Friedel, Keller, or Howard were in their primes, and no one the past few years have been close to that.

Horvath lost his job at Brugge & is headed to the Championship. Steffen has more appearances for the US than his European clubs since moving overseas. But no one else has reached their potential enough to supplant either of them.

The position used to be a strength but it's been years since we had one elite keeper, much less many. I hope it gets back there, but right now all of our best players are field players.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #3437 on: August 01, 2021, 10:00:52 PM »
Very impressed with the B team tonight

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #3438 on: August 01, 2021, 10:36:37 PM »
Very impressed with the B team tonight

Bump

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #3439 on: August 02, 2021, 12:34:35 AM »
Amazed. Berhalter has pulled all the right strings of late. Thoughts...

• First half, Turner was immense. Showed why he should be GK1. I thought the ref style would hurt us because we had so many breakaways called back (at least 3) and Mexico was creating so many more chances that those fouls hurt us proportionally more.
  • Acosta was massive. Got in everywhere, took smart fouls when needed, came up with the winning assist. Man of the match.
  • Defense won this. Felt a bit like the Bradley days. Good organization at the back along with some luck.
  • Berhalter has pulled all the right strings of late. I've been critical generally, but he's done well to shut out high powered offenses like Qatar and Mexico, made all the right subs (he really gets the 5 sub/3 window format), and really put together deep squads.
  • This was fun. It's been awhile since the USMNT was fun to watch. Bring on the Qualifiers.

injuryBug

• Team Captain
« Reply #3440 on: August 02, 2021, 09:34:56 AM »
Defense seemed to be working very well together.  anytime someone was open it was only for split second and the rotations were done very well to help eachother out.

Nice to have basically 2 different teams win tournaments this summer

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #3441 on: August 02, 2021, 09:42:43 AM »
Last night was a good night for MLS soccer development people.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #3442 on: August 02, 2021, 10:00:07 AM »
Amazed. Berhalter has pulled all the right strings of late. Thoughts...

• Berhalter has pulled all the right strings of late. I've been critical generally, but he's done well to shut out high powered offenses like Qatar and Mexico, made all the right subs (he really gets the 5 sub/3 window format), and really put together deep squads.
  • This was fun. It's been awhile since the USMNT was fun to watch. Bring on the Qualifiers.

Same feeling here.  Ive been critical of Greggggg and hated the hire.  But he's REALLY been strong the last year or so.  Put together good lineups, has a good feel for chemistry, this is really fun stuff.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #3443 on: August 04, 2021, 05:03:17 PM »
The inflated transfer fees of English players in the PL is always hilarious, especially defenders.  Ben White isn't super young, only has 2 caps at age 23 (24 by the start of next season) and hes worth $70MM.  Absurd.

But that doesn't make $140MM for Grealish any less shocking.  Just insanity

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #3444 on: August 04, 2021, 05:14:22 PM »
The inflated transfer fees of English players in the PL is always hilarious, especially defenders.  Ben White isn't super young, only has 2 caps at age 23 (24 by the start of next season) and hes worth $70MM.  Absurd.

But that doesn't make $140MM for Grealish any less shocking.  Just insanity

If Grealish is 140, Harry Kane is...200?

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #3445 on: August 04, 2021, 06:43:19 PM »
Eh, it's an absurd amount of money, but given the players age and quality, I get it.  Plus if Kane doesn't happen this summer, and all they have come in is Grealish, their likely net spend won't be bad at all.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #3446 on: August 05, 2021, 12:59:16 PM »
https://www.fcbarcelona.com/en/football/first-team/news/2207655/leo-messi-not-staying-at-fc-barcelona

Wow, PSG or City are about to get one of the best free transfers ever.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #3447 on: August 05, 2021, 07:32:07 PM »
While the roster construction sucked (almost all the attackers were 32+) it would be pretty cool for Rapinoe and Lloyd to walk into the sunset with braces to secure an Olympic medal. No, it wasn't gold, but it was still a great potential walk-off. Pinoe's goals were two of the best you'll ever see. Brilliant score on a direct corner and a magnificent first-touch volley.  I really hope they call their careers, Pinoe will be 38 and Lloyd 41 when the next World Cup comes around.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #3448 on: August 05, 2021, 08:47:37 PM »
While the roster construction sucked (almost all the attackers were 32+) it would be pretty cool for Rapinoe and Lloyd to walk into the sunset with braces to secure an Olympic medal. No, it wasn't gold, but it was still a great potential walk-off. Pinoe's goals were two of the best you'll ever see. Brilliant score on a direct corner and a magnificent first-touch volley.  I really hope they call their careers, Pinoe will be 38 and Lloyd 41 when the next World Cup comes around.

Rapinoe had a nice Olympics, which was surprising cause she was horrid during the WC, despite what a bunch of goals off of penalties would say.

Lloyd will call it.  But I would be shocked if Rapinoe doesn't try to play.  Whether they keep her in the squad is another story

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #3449 on: August 05, 2021, 09:37:47 PM »
Saw the stat somewhere (can't remember where) that since Jan 2020, the only country in the America's that had sent more players to Europe than the US was Brazil.  Literally today, Sam Vines moves to Belgium, Gianluca Busio moves to Italy, and there's talk of Sargent heading to Norwich.  Busio is only 19, but has a very high ceiling IMO.  Keeping track of all the new players heading overseas is a very good problem to have.