'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

2024 Coaching Carousel by willie warrior
[Today at 03:50:16 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 01:02:54 AM]

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by CountryRoads
[Today at 12:05:42 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[March 28, 2024, 08:47:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: And Newbill Speaks to Rosiak..  (Read 73394 times)

NersEllenson

• All American
And Newbill Speaks to Rosiak..
« on: August 05, 2010, 05:19:51 PM »
Sorry to rehash..but thought this might get lost in Rosiak blog.  Doesn't sound very good for those of us who wanted to exenorate Buzz of any wrongdoing in the Newbill recruitment.  IF Newbill is willing to say it to the MU beat writer...seems to me it probably was a Buzz-cut situation.  Hopefully it doesn't happen again. 

Philadelphia guard D.J. Newbill, who would have been an incoming freshman but ultimately was released from his scholarship when Wilson transferred in from Oregon, has signed with Southern Mississippi.

I actually got a hold of Newbill recently, but he was hesitant to talk about what actually went down.

In fact, the only question he answered was whether his signing was considered "soft" -- meaning Newbill was aware of the possibility that he might not wind up at MU if the program were able to add another player like Wilson, yet signed anyway.

"They didn't tell me that," he said. "Come on. I could have went to West Virginia, Georgetown, Florida State -- you think I'm going to go there if they're telling me something like that?"

Newbill then said he had to take a phone call from his coach, and would call me back. I have yet to hear back from him.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

GGGG

• All American
Re: And Newbill Speaks to Rosiak..
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2010, 05:21:10 PM »
"They didn't tell me that," he said. "Come on. I could have went to West Virginia, Georgetown, Florida State -- you think I'm going to go there if they're telling me something like that?"

Exactly.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2010, 05:22:26 PM »
As I expected. For all the Buzz excuse makers, have at it!
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2010, 05:34:50 PM »
I don't care one way or another.  I have nothing to defend since I have no problem with oversigning.  

But FSU was filled up for the '10 class last fall and already had their 4 star guard, G Town already had a 4 star guard and didn't take another.  And WVU used the open scholly on a big.  

Just cause the kid says he had offers doesn't mean it's the case, the way things played out says those schools weren't even in the market for a guard.

MUCam

• All American
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2010, 05:38:08 PM »
The plain reality is that this Newbill situation created three distinct groups and one extreme minority group.

(1) One group will lay all the blame at Newbill's feet and refuse to accept any blame attributable to Buzz or MU.

(2) The second group will call for Buzz's head, citing his unconscionable acts as evidence that he is not representing MU in the right manner.

(3) The third group, and hopefully the majority group, will simply say that they will never know what happened, and furthermore, that they don't need to know what happened to know that the appearance of impropriety is enough to make it not sit well. This final group will acknowledge that it takes two to tango, and that at the very least, Buzz put himself in a position where he was vulnerable to accusations. The only hope of this group is, that regardless of who's at blame, that Buzzs learn from the situation and hopefully does not find himself in it again.

(4) I fall in the fourth group, which is admittedly the extreme minority group. My group blames the whole Newbill mess on Trevor Mbakwe.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2010, 05:43:12 PM by MUCam »

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2010, 05:53:53 PM »
The plain reality is that this Newbill situation created three distinct groups and one extreme minority group.

(1) One group will lay all the blame at Newbill's feet and refuse to accept any blame attributable to Buzz or MU.

(2) The second group will call for Buzz's head, citing his unconscionable acts as evidence that he is not representing MU in the right manner.

(3) The third group, and hopefully the majority group, will simply say that they will never know what happened, and furthermore, that they don't need to know what happened to know that the appearance of impropriety is enough to make it not sit well. This final group will acknowledge that it takes two to tango, and that at the very least, Buzz put himself in a position where he was vulnerable to accusations. The only hope of this group is, that regardless of who's at blame, that Buzzs learn from the situation and hopefully does not find himself in it again.

(4) I fall in the fourth group, which is admittedly the extreme minority group. My group blames the whole Newbill mess on Trevor Mbakwe.
How about a fifth group, that puts the blame on Tim/Jeronne Maymon?
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2010, 06:02:22 PM »
Good luck to Newbill at So. Miss and let's move on.

All this talk about a player that nobody on here knows. Like I've said he's a big boy, he will be fine.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2010, 06:35:24 PM »
Good for Rosiak for pressing the questions.  They needed to be asked.  I know some here would prefer to sweep this under the rug but I am sorry, it was not a good situation.

So much for some saying Rosiak is a shill for Marquette.  Lord knows you would never get an inquiry like this from Potrykus.

Hope Buzz learns something from this situation.

mosarsour

• All American
  • IV
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2010, 06:57:15 PM »

+1

lurch91

• All American
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2010, 07:01:56 PM »
I think the take-away in all of this is I hope Buzz learns from this situation.   I'm not pointing figners to say he was wrong, but in his two seasons on Marquette he's signed one player that got to summer school to find out he was in way over his head and allowed his release (Roseboro) and signed another player that he possibly felt could/would be in the same position but released him before he even got to summer school.

Buzz needs to possibly be more selective in who he offers scholarships too, or who he accepts them from.

I hope he works it out, because I don't want this to become a regular summer activity (cutting ties with incoming freshman recruits - Roseboro and Newbill).

FrennA

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2010, 07:09:42 PM »
I'm with you MUCAM.....
Some say that Trevor invented the Cesarean Section when he round-house kicked his way out of his mother's womb.  I guess it was then when he decided he never wanted to be inside a woman again!

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2010, 07:10:52 PM »

How about this group

No one is calling for Buzz's head, that's bizarre and ridiculous.  Own up to your commitments, don't do this crap again.  We shouldn't be automatically calling the kid, his parents and his coaches liars.  And, the head coach should deliver the news to the kid directly.

Most of all, we simply shouldn't be accepting LOI's unless we plan on honoring them, but that doesn't mean we are calling for Buzz's head.  That's the group I'm in

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2010, 07:15:24 PM »
Interesting, but until we've heard both sides, who can really know?

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2010, 07:41:17 PM »
why wasn't he asked about his paperwork situation?  Oh that's right.  He made up some excuse to get off the phone while promising to call back but never did.  sounds totally blameless, right?

and I do wish this whole thing never happened and that we don't make a habit of it.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2010, 07:47:09 PM »
Monarch called the coach, how do you knoiw that buzz didn't call DJ?

Big Daddy Z

• Starter
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2010, 08:01:37 PM »
a lot about nothing that will never happen...must be a slow time in sports.

MUCam

• All American
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2010, 08:28:35 PM »
I'm with you MUCAM.....
Some say that Trevor invented the Cesarean Section when he round-house kicked his way out of his mother's womb.  I guess it was then when he decided he never wanted to be inside a woman again!

You are preaching to the choir here, my man.

Mbakwe had to be at the bottom of this giant scandal. That dude's tears don't cure cancer.....which is actually a shame, seeing as all he does is cry. Giant baby.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2010, 08:38:30 PM »
Monarch called the coach, how do you knoiw that buzz didn't call DJ?

This is the first thing you've said in 5 years that makes any sense.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

El Duderino

• Team Captain
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2010, 09:09:03 PM »
How about this group

No one is calling for Buzz's head, that's bizarre and ridiculous.

No it's not bizarre or ridiculous, calling for his head though would be extremely ridiculous.

Even if Buzz did the worst case scenario here and Buzz-cut the kid because he felt Wilson was a better player, it would be a wrong thing to do, but hopefully something Buzz learned a serious lesson about what shouldn't be done again.

I don't know if that's exactly what happened, but if that was the case, i'd give Buzz one mulligan so long as it's never done again and chalk it up as a mistake by a young coach acting overzealous in a desire to build Marquette into a big time winner. Just as sometimes recruits aren't perfect and make mistakes, coaches can also make mistakes, especially first time head coaches.

This situation regardless of how it actually went down has received quite a bit of attention and if Buzz is a smart man, he won't put himself in a spot where it can happen again. If that ends up being the case going forward, the situation with Newbill will be dropped in my mind at least.

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2010, 09:52:52 PM »
What if this is a policy and only gets exercised when someone like a Jamil Wilson is available.  Maybe every year there is a lowest desired recruit that could get the LOI pulled if a Jamil Wilson type of player is ready to transfer to Marquette. It just actually happened this year and Newbill was the lowest recruit coming in.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2010, 10:15:57 PM »

I call BS!  If that's the case, some other high Div I school would have made room for him with a cut of their own.  Newbill's living in a dream world.  I wish him the best, and hope he exceeds expectations at Southern Miss.

DJ - feel free to prove me and Buzz wrong, I'll be proud of you.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2010, 10:29:26 PM »
I think the take-away in all of this is I hope Buzz learns from this situation.   I'm not pointing figners to say he was wrong, but in his two seasons on Marquette he's signed one player that got to summer school to find out he was in way over his head and allowed his release (Roseboro) and signed another player that he possibly felt could/would be in the same position but released him before he even got to summer school.

Buzz needs to possibly be more selective in who he offers scholarships too, or who he accepts them from.

I hope he works it out, because I don't want this to become a regular summer activity (cutting ties with incoming freshman recruits - Roseboro and Newbill).

You're exactly right as to what the "takeaway" should be for Buzz.  I'm sick of hearing how "don't do it again" is the lesson learned.  You go into late June with a full roster, every year.  If you don't you're pretty much self-imposing a one scholarship penality in most years, or taking a bottom of the barrel player which is the same difference.  It's not every year a Top 100 recruit wants to transfer in at the end of June and there's an incoming recruit that for whatever reason you're comfortable with cutting.  The "mistake" is taking the commitment in the first place, not in failing to "honor" it by pretending you want the player around for a year before you cut them.  Seems like we've seen a ton of posts recently about unheard of, "up and comers" or unknowns that we're supposedly being mentioned with, so hopefully if that's the case they're DJOs and not players who we'll take without knowing.

I call BS!  If that's the case, some other high Div I school would have made room for him with a cut of their own.  Newbill's living in a dream world.  I wish him the best, and hope he exceeds expectations at Southern Miss.

DJ - feel free to prove me and Buzz wrong, I'll be proud of you.

Was puzzled by that as well - he didn't mention being offered by Georgetown and Florida State way back in January.  Did anyone?  Next we're going to hear that he passed on Duke and Kansas.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2010, 10:39:51 PM »
Sorry to rehash..

but he was hesitant to talk about what actually went down.

Newbill then said he had to take a phone call from his coach, and would call me back. I have yet to hear back from him.

Some of you are not sorry to rehash.  When you're able to believe in things you make up, it's easy to come to a conclusion that makes you feel good.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

MarqBB77-03

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2010, 10:44:52 PM »
While we will never know exactly what happened, Newbills comment made me a bit disappointed.  If we make a commitment to a kid, we should stick with it.  That is what the Marquette program and the University is all about.  I also would think the University Administration is disappointed. 
"When I'm losing, they call me nuts. When I'm winning, they call me eccentric."  Al McGuire

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2010, 11:06:25 PM »
Sad to see that some here call B.S. or continue to call the kid, his parents and coaches liars.  That will certainly reflect well with other recruits visiting the board.   ::)

Jay Bee....Ners is so far up Buzz's hole, he's the last guy that gets satisfaction out of this and he started the thread.

Atwiz, we have heard both sides of the story....MU's side was leaked to the appropriate parties that put their version out there.  To think we haven't heard the MU side is not correct.

To this day, there are still some people on this board that actually think it's no big deal to not honor commitments.  Strange to say the least.

feedback