Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: And Newbill Speaks to Rosiak..  (Read 73914 times)

MUfan12

• All American
Re: And Newbill Speaks to Rosiak..
« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2010, 11:22:08 PM »
Sad to see that some here call B.S. or continue to call the kid, his parents and coaches liars.  That will certainly reflect well with other recruits visiting the board.   ::)

Ugh... I didn't want to be tied back into this debate, but the question has to be asked.

Did we expect to hear anything else from Newbill?

Hypothetically, say things went down as IWB detailed. Does anyone on here think he would come out and say "I took an offer knowing that could happen." Come on. Of course he's gonna give the quote he did, regardless of what actually happened.

And Rocky is 100% correct. If any of those schools wanted him that badly, he'd be on their campus right now. One way or the other.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #26 on: August 05, 2010, 11:43:17 PM »

And Rocky is 100% correct. If any of those schools wanted him that badly, he'd be on their campus right now. One way or the other.

Really....so they would bail on their own LOI committed players?  I don't think so.  I've asked time and time again for examples of players being cut AFTER their LOI and the only examples that are provided is when a kid gets in major trouble with the law or doesn't get test scores.

Why would other schools bail on their LOI's like we did?  Seems they got it right, not the other way around. Stop making excuses for a bad bad mistake on our part and lets hope like hell we learn from it and don't do it again.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #27 on: August 05, 2010, 11:46:55 PM »
Good for Rosiak for pressing the questions.  They needed to be asked.  I know some here would prefer to sweep this under the rug but I am sorry, it was not a good situation.

So much for some saying Rosiak is a shill for Marquette.  Lord knows you would never get an inquiry like this from Potrykus.

Hope Buzz learns something from this situation.

Unfortunately, DJ only answered ONE of the questions Rosiak asked, claiming offers to WVU, Georgetown and FSU. I'm sorry, but guys with offers like that don't end up with Southern Miss as their best option in August, let alone June.

That he wouldn't answer other questions and never kept his promise to call Rosiak back also gives me pause.

That said, I hope that Buzz can avoid this kind of drama in the future. Not accepting a LOI unless you're sure you really want a guy (no "conditions") would be a welcome policy going forward.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #28 on: August 05, 2010, 11:51:58 PM »
I've asked time and time again for examples of players being cut AFTER their LOI and the only examples that are provided is when a kid gets in major trouble with the law or doesn't get test scores.

Stop making excuses for a bad bad mistake on our part and lets hope like hell we learn from it and don't do it again.

And while we're compiling these lists, find me guys who had an LOI signed, without an application for admission submitted. A week before starting classes. That still doesn't add up.

I'm not making excuses. I just refuse to accept everything from the Newbill camp as gospel.

And for the record, I'm not a fan of the conditional LOI either. But I still have a very hard time believing in this case, that is wasn't communicated.

Best of luck to DJ.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #29 on: August 06, 2010, 12:00:09 AM »
I don't get it. Chicks says we have heard MU's side of the story through the leak to IWB. Chicos thinks it's wrong for people to question a kid now saying he had offers from certain schools that he had never before mentioned having offers to and his coach who was supposedly fired as a result of an athletic director's jealousy of his success (does that make any sense whatsoever? Wouldn't an AD WANT success in the program? Maybe this guy has a history of lying, resulting in his firing if he had so much on court success?) who, after posting here for a while, admits he hasn't been involved in DJ's recruitment, all of a sudden disappears after people start finding out more about it? The only truths we have heard for sure is DJ was a few days from moving in yet admittedly not sent in his application or signed up for the Pro-Am. We heard this from Newbill's camp. He wouldn't lie about those things.

So we are wrongfor questioning these people, but it's OK to accuse MU of lying, as you clearly believe? You state we heard MU's side through their leaking information to IWB, yet you clearly believe Newbill's camp stating they didn't
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #30 on: August 06, 2010, 06:47:23 AM »
Best of luck to DJ, but, until MU's side of the story is heard, the jury is out.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #31 on: August 06, 2010, 07:03:23 AM »
To this day, there are still some people on this board that actually think it's no big deal to not honor commitments.  Strange to say the least.

Strange indeed.  Didn't Crean sign a 10 year deal at Marquette around 2006?

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #32 on: August 06, 2010, 07:43:26 AM »

Oh snap!
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #33 on: August 06, 2010, 08:22:54 AM »

That's a double showcase winner, Titan.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

GOMU1104

• All American
« Reply #34 on: August 06, 2010, 08:24:11 AM »
I have it in pretty damn good authority that Georgetown was never going to be an option for Newbill.

Who cares anymore. Good Luck at Southern Miss.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #35 on: August 06, 2010, 09:17:54 AM »
Is that prior to Newbill's signing of the LOI?

I don't think we can come right out and say "well if he didn't go to Gtown or WVU then he must be lying" because after his release he could not go to a Big East school. Not saying this at all to discount your information GOMU because I'm looking at this without any source of info, just saying that many of us can't make a blanket statement. However, he could have gone to FSU, I don't know their scholarship situation when this all went down. So I am pretty skeptical of that whole statement due to that and the fact that it seems Georgetown and FSU have kind of come out of nowhere as far as I know. We heard about WVU. 

As for Chicos' statement that it is so wrong to presume this kid is lying, I admit I'm hoping/looking for the best possible way for MU to come out looking ok in this. I'm an MU fan, not a DJ Newbill fan so it is natural I guess. However, I think it goes deeper than just intense fanhood. He was hurt and let down no matter which version of events are true (his or IWB's). It was near the end of summer and it looked like he was going to go to his dream school, but then something changed and he couldn't(by his version he had his LOI pulled out of nowhere. By IWB's version the risk didn't pay off in his conditional offer). Either way when discussing something where you were let down or disappointed, don't most people exaggerate things or say things that make themselves look better? I'll be the first to admit I do. That's why I don't think it is wrong or us being terrible people to be skeptical about what Newbill says.

I think it is wrong to just blindly assume that he is telling the truth and IWB is lying. Also, it is wrong to blindly assume that he is lying and IWB is telling the truth, but with the application stuff and some of the other things, it makes it easier for me to see IWB's story.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #36 on: August 06, 2010, 09:27:27 AM »
MU's English Dept. probably has enough on it's plate. Better that DJ gone to USM.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Les Nessman

• Team Captain
« Reply #37 on: August 06, 2010, 09:47:04 AM »
No it's not bizarre or ridiculous, calling for his head though would be extremely ridiculous.

Even if Buzz did the worst case scenario here and Buzz-cut the kid because he felt Wilson was a better player, it would be a wrong thing to do, but hopefully something Buzz learned a serious lesson about what shouldn't be done again.

I don't know if that's exactly what happened, but if that was the case, i'd give Buzz one mulligan so long as it's never done again and chalk it up as a mistake by a young coach acting overzealous in a desire to build Marquette into a big time winner. Just as sometimes recruits aren't perfect and make mistakes, coaches can also make mistakes, especially first time head coaches.

This situation regardless of how it actually went down has received quite a bit of attention and if Buzz is a smart man, he won't put himself in a spot where it can happen again. If that ends up being the case going forward, the situation with Newbill will be dropped in my mind at least.

I am a big buzz fan. I've liked what direction he is taking the program but I also think this situation with Newbill is an unfortunate one. The thing I don't understand is why anyone on here thinks he is going to learn some sort of lesson from this. Besides the outcry of a handful of MU BBall junkies on a message board, there hasn't really been any negative repercussions about letting Newbill go and signing Wilson. If anything, he came out on top. He got a better basketball player with D-1 experience. What leads anyone to think he is going to learn from an error in judgement when he actually benefitted from it? Positive feedback doesn't decrease behavior, it increases it.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #38 on: August 06, 2010, 09:49:31 AM »
Since I had made my position clear in an overly long rant quite awhile ago, I wasn't going to say anything, BUT there is a whole different can of worms being brought up here.

Many are now seizing upon DJ's hesitance to talk about this as giving them pause or somehow validating MU.  Isn't the opposite THE EXACT reason that we were discounting phillycoach and others.  Here is a young man who is hurting and thought he had secured a spot he really wanted, only to have it (no matter what happened, there is no other way for him to see it than) ripped out from underneath him.  I say that not to overdramatize or attempt to pretend to know what happened, merely to empathize with how I'm sure DJ feels.  

And while all of his camp have come out and gotten into a sh!t flinging contest, DJ refuses to do that, even when given the obvious opportunity to do so.  He doesn't bash Buzz, or pretend to be able to speak to things beyond his own mind.  All he attests to is that he wouldn't have taken the purported insecurity of a soft offer when other hard offers were on the table.  Beyond that, he doesn't even call Rosiak back, likely because he doesn't want to talk about this anymore.

Stand up kid, particularly in the face of his camp who acted far less admirably. For shame to anyone that says otherwise.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #39 on: August 06, 2010, 10:04:24 AM »
Sad to see that some here call B.S. or continue to call the kid, his parents and coaches liars.  That will certainly reflect well with other recruits visiting the board.   ::)

As opposed to others who are all to willing to conclude that Buzz is a liar. That will certainly reflect well with other recruits visiting the board.  ::)

Again from the moment this thing started, what I find absolutely pathetic and appalling is people, motivated by the distaste for Buzz Williams being hired as MU's coach, willing to give the benefit of the doubt to a handful of people they have never met, as opposed to Buzz Williams who has done nothing but represent himself and the University extremely well in the two years he's been here.  Certainly makes sense to me.

mu-rara

• All American
« Reply #40 on: August 06, 2010, 10:19:09 AM »
Chicos, et. al,

While we may find this distasteful, if Buzz doesn't produce on the court, nobody (especially you Chicos), will look back and say:  "But he kept his commitments".

Unfortunately, this is the way the game is played now.  Put on your big boy pants and get out there.

MUBasketball

• All American
« Reply #41 on: August 06, 2010, 10:21:49 AM »
Jay Bee....Ners is so far up Buzz's hole, he's the last guy that gets satisfaction out of this and he started the thread.

Pot, meet kettle? Why don't you tell us what Crean had for breakfast.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #42 on: August 06, 2010, 10:27:24 AM »
Yup! Here we go with the excuses that this is the way the game is played, etc.

In other words,

THE ENDS JUSTIFY THE MEANS
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

MUBasketball

• All American
« Reply #43 on: August 06, 2010, 10:34:06 AM »
This is SO tired and SO played.

Can't we all just agree it was an unfortunate situation, hope it never happens again, and move on? End of story. Move on.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #44 on: August 06, 2010, 11:22:08 AM »
As most know - I'm a HUGE Buzz fan.  We will never know the exact story from Buzz's perspective..unless Rosiak point blank asks him:  Many have speculated that the Newbill scholarship release was simply due to a better player coming available - Jamil Wilson.  What is your reaction to that?  You mentioned a combination of factors led to Newbill's release - what were those factors?

I'm not 100% saying Newbill's account is all truth - As I believe - per NCAA rules - he can't come out and say that his offer was "soft" - and that he was told he could be going to prep school..because the NCAA discourages this practice.even though we know it happens - Villanova...

At the end of the day, we all hope this type of situation does not happen again in the future..and most of us have an attitude of Let's Win at ALMOST All Costs.  We don't need to give Buzz a complete black eye over this - but rather a live and learn..and hope that this was a 1-time mistake of being overzealous in his desire to return MU to Elite status.  He deserves/earned a pass..and let's move on..even though I felt it was relevant to bring to light Newbills comments.

"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #45 on: August 06, 2010, 11:31:52 AM »
This is SO tired and SO played.

Can't we all just agree it was an unfortunate situation, hope it never happens again, and move on? End of story. Move on.
In the words of the great Rodney King, "Can't we all just get along?"
Move on and don't read the posts.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

Canadian Dimes

• All American
« Reply #46 on: August 06, 2010, 12:19:00 PM »
When Crean oversigned and had to let Suanders go the Crean lovers all Creaned their pants with relief that "he could not get into school" and tommy naismith did not have to go back on a commitment.

Only lesson to be learned here for Buzz iS next time he oversigns like the great Crean, is to not tell the truth and simply say "he could not get into school"

Boy there are alot of fools on this board.  Top 30 recruit versus a top 400 2 guard of which we already have 5 of. 

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #47 on: August 06, 2010, 12:21:37 PM »
Another thread with a lot of guesses and suppositions.  Folks, you need facts!  You are welcome to your opinions, but thats all they are.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #48 on: August 06, 2010, 12:36:58 PM »
Another thread with a lot of guesses and suppositions.  Folks, you need facts!  You are welcome to your opinions, but thats all they are.

I don't know what's less interesting - the fact that we're still discussing this or the fact that people without facts are claiming they know the facts.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #49 on: August 06, 2010, 12:43:09 PM »
I don't know what's less interesting - the fact that we're still discussing this or the fact that people without facts are claiming they know the facts.

This is awesome. Any bets as to how many pages this newest, newbill thread will go. Where is MU84 when we need him. One post from him is surely worth a page.

feedback