[April 22, 2024, 08:17:35 PM]

MU Alumni playing in European and Foreign Leagues Thread by mileskishnish72
[April 22, 2024, 04:17:36 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by WeAreMarquette96
[April 22, 2024, 01:49:31 PM]

[Paint Touches] Way-Too-Early roundup of MU rankings by tower912
[April 22, 2024, 01:29:28 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: And Newbill Speaks to Rosiak..  (Read 73856 times)

Nukem2

• All American
Re: And Newbill Speaks to Rosiak..
« Reply #50 on: August 06, 2010, 12:44:18 PM »
I don't know what's less interesting - the fact that we're still discussing this or the fact that people without facts are claiming they know the facts.
It is amazing that there really are few facts period.  Is anyone on this board privy to the "facts"...?  Seriously doubt it.  

muhoops1

• All American
« Reply #51 on: August 06, 2010, 12:46:27 PM »
What is he going to say?  Yeah I knew and everyone will think I'm a total dipcrap for thinking they wouldn't recruit over me.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #52 on: August 06, 2010, 01:14:18 PM »
What is he going to say?  Yeah I knew and everyone will think I'm a total dipcrap for thinking they wouldn't recruit over me.

No he could just say nothing, like he chose to do with everything else Rosiak asked him about.

Strokin 3s

• Team Captain
« Reply #53 on: August 06, 2010, 01:23:25 PM »
Is that prior to Newbill's signing of the LOI?

I don't think we can come right out and say "well if he didn't go to Gtown or WVU then he must be lying" because after his release he could not go to a Big East school. Not saying this at all to discount your information GOMU because I'm looking at this without any source of info, just saying that many of us can't make a blanket statement. However, he could have gone to FSU, I don't know their scholarship situation when this all went down. So I am pretty skeptical of that whole statement due to that and the fact that it seems Georgetown and FSU have kind of come out of nowhere as far as I know. We heard about WVU. 

I think it is wrong to just blindly assume that he is telling the truth and IWB is lying. Also, it is wrong to blindly assume that he is lying and IWB is telling the truth, but with the application stuff and some of the other things, it makes it easier for me to see IWB's story.

The bolded portion is incorrect.  Since he never enrolled he was free to go wherever he wanted.  That is a fact.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #54 on: August 06, 2010, 01:27:47 PM »

The bolded portion is incorrect.  Since he never enrolled he was free to go wherever he wanted.  That is a fact.

Incorrect.  Since he signed the LOI with MU he's not allowed to go to another BEast school unless there are extenuating circumstances.

Ari Gold

• All American
  • L.H.I.O.B.
« Reply #55 on: August 06, 2010, 01:31:03 PM »
It is amazing that there really are few facts period.  Is anyone on this board privy to the "facts"...?  Seriously doubt it.  

Facts are meaningless. You could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!

What we need is speculation and lots of it. Heap on as much speculation as one can.  And as much hate for players and coaches as one can as well. That way, when other potential recruits read these posts, they think these 200 fanboys are the majority of MU students and alums. That'll make em feel confident about playing here.

MUSF

• All American
« Reply #56 on: August 06, 2010, 01:46:59 PM »
Please stop with the "we don't know the facts" mantra.  Newbill has signed on with another D1 school and there are currently no indications that he will not qualify or has some outstanding legal/discipline issue that would prevent him from being eligible.  That indicates that there are really only three possible scenarios for the MU - Newbill saga.

1. Buzz and staff made it clear that the offer to Newbill was contingent upon no better options becoming available and Newbill agreed to sign anyway.  If this is the case, Newbill is now lying to save face.

2. Buzz and staff placed no conditions on their offer and pulled the schollie because a better option came up.  If this is the case, people close to the MU program are now lying to save face.

3. Buzz and staff made a conditional offer to Newbill and thought all involved parties understood the situation clearly.  Newbill was either kept out of the loop on the "conditions" of his offer by handlers or misunderstood the conditional nature of the offer.  If this is the case, neither party is lying and there was a communication breakdown somewhere.  This also would show why refusing to assume that DJ and his coaches are lying doesn't automatically imply that Buzz and MU are lying.

Many of us look at these three possible scenarios and think that MU doesn't really come away clean in any of them.  That is why many think we should simply honor all LOIs.  Those that keep saying, "we don't know the facts," are just trying to muddy the waters.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #57 on: August 06, 2010, 01:53:57 PM »
Amen MUSF.

MU blew this one. Here come the excuses.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #58 on: August 06, 2010, 02:02:56 PM »
Amen MUSF.

MU blew this one. Here come the excuses.

If they win a lot of games, they won't need excuses.

If they lose more than they should, this topic will never die.

Fans love wins. This is a fact.

Strokin 3s

• Team Captain
« Reply #59 on: August 06, 2010, 02:17:11 PM »
Incorrect.  Since he signed the LOI with MU he's not allowed to go to another BEast school unless there are extenuating circumstances.

Incorrect, he cannot sign another LOI, he is free to go anywhere since he was not admitted.

Letter Becomes Null and Void. This NLI shall be declared null and void if any of the following occur:

a.             Admissions Requirement.  This NLI shall be declared null and void if the institution named in this document notifies me in writing that I have been denied admission or, by the opening day of classes in fall 2010, has failed to provide me with written notice of admission, provided I have submitted a complete admission application.  It is my obligation to provide, by request, my academic records and an application for admission to the signing institution.  If I fail to submit the necessary academic credentials and/or application to determine an admission decision prior to September 1, the NLI shall be declared null and void.

http://www.ncaa.org/wps/wcm/connect/nli/NLI/NLI+Provisions/Letter+Becomes+Null+and+Void
« Last Edit: August 06, 2010, 02:30:49 PM by Strokin 3s »

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #60 on: August 06, 2010, 03:36:19 PM »
Incorrect, he cannot sign another LOI, he is free to go anywhere since he was not admitted.

Letter Becomes Null and Void. This NLI shall be declared null and void if any of the following occur:

a.             Admissions Requirement.  This NLI shall be declared null and void if the institution named in this document notifies me in writing that I have been denied admission or, by the opening day of classes in fall 2010, has failed to provide me with written notice of admission, provided I have submitted a complete admission application.  It is my obligation to provide, by request, my academic records and an application for admission to the signing institution.  If I fail to submit the necessary academic credentials and/or application to determine an admission decision prior to September 1, the NLI shall be declared null and void.

http://www.ncaa.org/wps/wcm/connect/nli/NLI/NLI+Provisions/Letter+Becomes+Null+and+Void

It's BEast conference specific.

http://www.msnsportsnet.com/content/BigEastTransfer.pdf

I'm pretty sure that Newbill was released from his NLI instead of it being declared null and void.  Is that true?
« Last Edit: August 06, 2010, 03:38:08 PM by Skatastrophy »

Strokin 3s

• Team Captain
« Reply #61 on: August 06, 2010, 04:12:19 PM »
If I fail to submit the necessary academic credentials and/or application to determine an admission decision prior to September 1, the NLI shall be declared null and void.

I highly doubt DJ will be submitting his application to MU any longer.

Marquette84

• All American
« Reply #62 on: August 06, 2010, 04:16:09 PM »
I'm not 100% saying Newbill's account is all truth - As I believe - per NCAA rules - he can't come out and say that his offer was "soft" - and that he was told he could be going to prep school..because the NCAA discourages this practice.even though we know it happens - Villanova...

First, the Villanova situation is different.  Villanova did not tell the player (Markus Kennedy) that he could not attend. They told him that if he did attend he would probably be a redshirt. Kennedy decided to defer college by a year so he could continue to play rather than sit out a season.

In fact, Villanova only has 11 scholarship players listed for 2010-11, so its hard to argue that Wright told Kennedy to go prep to sign a better player.
http://www.villanova.com/sports/m-baskbl/mtt/nova-m-baskbl-mtt.html

Second, the NCAA doesn't merely discourage "soft" NLIs or other extra conditions--they prohibit them outright, and the NLI voids all conditions that were previously placed.  The document is pretty clear to both sides.  

I fail to understand what part of "no-changes-or-additions" is so terribly confusing to you.  

Maybe its because you confuse a player who voluntarily chooses to attend prep school to avoid a redshirt with one who had his scholarship taken away/no option of a redshirt.

After all the posts and links to the exact language of the NLI outlining where the NLI prohibits such extra-contractual arrangements, you're still here suggesting that Buzz DID place extra conditions on Newbill's NLI, and fault lies with Newbill fault for not understanding them.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #63 on: August 06, 2010, 04:26:17 PM »
It's BEast conference specific.

http://www.msnsportsnet.com/content/BigEastTransfer.pdf

I'm pretty sure that Newbill was released from his NLI instead of it being declared null and void.  Is that true?

Yes, he was asked to sign a release.  I believe the coach himself said it was unfortunate because it disqualified him from going to any BE school.

If they win a lot of games, they won't need excuses.

If they lose more than they should, this topic will never die.

Fans love wins. This is a fact.

True.  If Wilson is an All-American in a few years and Newbill is just another CUSA player nobody's going to complain.  Reverse is true too, if it would turn out that Wilson is a disappointment, our guards aren't the best in the conference, and Newbill is averaging 15+.  Nobody remembers who Damian Saunders is if he's not on some NBA draft lists and Pat Hazel is still at MU and an NBA potential instead. 

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #64 on: August 06, 2010, 04:38:30 PM »
Please stop with the "we don't know the facts" mantra.  Newbill has signed on with another D1 school and there are currently no indications that he will not qualify or has some outstanding legal/discipline issue that would prevent him from being eligible.  That indicates that there are really only three possible scenarios for the MU - Newbill saga.

1. Buzz and staff made it clear that the offer to Newbill was contingent upon no better options becoming available and Newbill agreed to sign anyway.  If this is the case, Newbill is now lying to save face.

2. Buzz and staff placed no conditions on their offer and pulled the schollie because a better option came up.  If this is the case, people close to the MU program are now lying to save face.

3. Buzz and staff made a conditional offer to Newbill and thought all involved parties understood the situation clearly.  Newbill was either kept out of the loop on the "conditions" of his offer by handlers or misunderstood the conditional nature of the offer.  If this is the case, neither party is lying and there was a communication breakdown somewhere.  This also would show why refusing to assume that DJ and his coaches are lying doesn't automatically imply that Buzz and MU are lying.

Many of us look at these three possible scenarios and think that MU doesn't really come away clean in any of them.  That is why many think we should simply honor all LOIs.  Those that keep saying, "we don't know the facts," are just trying to muddy the waters.
I can think of a lot of other factors that might affect the situation.  For insta

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #65 on: August 06, 2010, 04:55:10 PM »
If I fail to submit the necessary academic credentials and/or application to determine an admission decision prior to September 1, the NLI shall be declared null and void.

I highly doubt DJ will be submitting his application to MU any longer.

Dude, you're full of assumptions, which isn't helping figure anything out.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/97488689.html
"Through a culmination of several things, we have decided to give D.J. Newbill his release," Williams said. "D.J.'s a great kid, he comes from a great family who we have established relationships with, and we're going to do everything we can to help him in his future, in whatever capacity that would be."

So according to Buzz, Newbill was released, so he can't go to another BEast school.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #66 on: August 06, 2010, 05:18:16 PM »
On the Badger board, but it's funny and appropriate

http://vodpod.com/watch/3092510-seinfeld-reservations

nyg

• All American
« Reply #67 on: August 06, 2010, 05:38:43 PM »

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #68 on: August 06, 2010, 06:42:20 PM »
On the Badger board, but it's funny and appropriate

http://vodpod.com/watch/3092510-seinfeld-reservations

Sorry, but its inappropriate here.  Have you ever considered that things wen downhill after his signing?  Buzz sticks by his guys as long as they work hard and do what is expected.  I sense in this case that was not happening (even before ever getting near campus)....??  A bad marriage annulled?

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #69 on: August 06, 2010, 07:52:16 PM »
Sorry, but its inappropriate here.  Have you ever considered that things wen downhill after his signing?  Buzz sticks by his guys as long as they work hard and do what is expected.  I sense in this case that was not happening (even before ever getting near campus)....??  A bad marriage annulled?

Ahhhhhh........the naivete of a teenager in their first crush. Everything is rosy at that time.

MedicineHatSpanker

• Starter
« Reply #70 on: August 06, 2010, 08:58:53 PM »
Strange indeed.  Didn't Crean sign a 10 year deal at Marquette around 2006?

Bravo!

MedicineHatSpanker

• Starter
« Reply #71 on: August 06, 2010, 09:02:58 PM »

This is awesome. Any bets as to how many pages this newest, newbill thread will go. Where is MU84 when we need him. One post from him is surely worth a page.

Him? Surely you mean HER.

MUSF

• All American
« Reply #72 on: August 06, 2010, 09:51:59 PM »
I can think of a lot of other factors that might affect the situation.  For insta

Great.  What are they?

PE8983

• Team Captain
« Reply #73 on: August 06, 2010, 10:00:22 PM »
For me, the easiest way to tell who's lying: Buzz said all along that someone was not coming and that player knew who he was.  That was way back in the spring.  So far, everyone else is here or will be here shortly, and supposedly enrolling for fall.  If that time comes, and everyone is here, then IMO, Newbill knew.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #74 on: August 06, 2010, 10:23:18 PM »

Only three?  I can just as easily fabricate a few more "possible" scenarios:

1) DJ asked for his release.

2) DJ failed to pass a physical exam to the satisfaction of the medical staff.

3) DJ submitted an application with only the words "I ain't filling out no damn application" written at the top.

4) DJ's commitment was contingent upon Coach Laws getting a job somewhere in Milwaukee.

5) DJ heard about boot camp and decided he wasn't up for it.

6) DJ mistakenly called Buzz "Coach Crean" the last time he talked to him.

7) DJ messed with Texas.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

feedback