Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Recruiting as of 5/15/24  (Read 8615132 times)

MU82

• All American
Re: Recruiting as of 8/15/21
« Reply #30175 on: August 27, 2021, 07:55:42 AM »
I'll admit, I thought the NCAA would at least attempt to regulate it. I didn't expect them to throw up their hands and say "have at it."

They had years to get in front on this, to try to have at least some influence on it. But rather than spend those years working on it, they spent all their effort and resources trying to stop it.

By the time they realized they were the equivalent of an ant trying to push a boulder up a mountain, it was too late for them to have a say ... hence the surrender.

The next few years will be a very interesting time in college sports. I'm glad the young men and women who work tirelessly and risk injuries to make the games we love possible -- the athletes -- finally have the same chance to benefit financially that every other student at their universities have had.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #30176 on: August 27, 2021, 08:37:10 AM »
They had years to get in front on this, to try to have at least some influence on it. But rather than spend those years working on it, they spent all their effort and resources trying to stop it.

By the time they realized they were the equivalent of an ant trying to push a boulder up a mountain, it was too late for them to have a say ... hence the surrender.

The next few years will be a very interesting time in college sports. I'm glad the young men and women who work tirelessly and risk injuries to make the games we love possible -- the athletes -- finally have the same chance to benefit financially that every other student at their universities have had.

I never really believed, and still don't, that there is any reasonable way to regulate NIL.

It was always going to be a crap-show.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #30177 on: August 27, 2021, 08:44:18 AM »
I never really believed, and still don't, that there is any reasonable way to regulate NIL.

It was always going to be a crap-show.

I agree with this completely.  Really in what world do people think that NIL wasn't going to serve to entice players to certain schools?  Or that the schools wouldn't be involved?  Has no one been paying attention to recruiting the last fifty years?

Having it all out in the open is better than the under-the-table nonsense we have seen previously.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #30178 on: August 27, 2021, 08:57:18 AM »

I agree with this completely.  Really in what world do people think that NIL wasn't going to serve to entice players to certain schools?  Or that the schools wouldn't be involved?  Has no one been paying attention to recruiting the last fifty years?

Having it all out in the open is better than the under-the-table nonsense we have seen previously.

Certainly More money to the player versus the system, handlers, etc. 

Could Nike do a sponsorship for players and as part of it steer them to certain schools?   

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #30179 on: August 27, 2021, 02:56:49 PM »
I'll admit, I thought the NCAA would at least attempt to regulate it. I didn't expect them to throw up their hands and say "have at it."

This was an inevitable conclusion.  Everyone who defended NIL to the death as an organized process that would have rules and regulations was kidding themselves. 

Now that doesn’t necessarily make it bad that these athletes are making additional money in addition to the money they were already making in goods and services.  It does make it more likely that smaller schools will likely slowly be marginalized because they cannot compete financially with the alumni bases and fans of the large public institutions.

For as much as %100 of the people on this site love MU basketball, %75 percent seem to be rooting for its demise by being ignorant of the fact that NIL tilts the playing field away from us rather than towards us. 

No longer is the coach of at a University the ace in the hole that can change the trajectory of a program.  Shaka is not as important as NIL money.   A perceived advantage in the spring with his hire has been neutralized.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #30180 on: August 27, 2021, 03:04:54 PM »

For as much as %100 of the people on this site love MU basketball, %75 percent seem to be rooting for its demise by being ignorant of the fact that NIL tilts the playing field away from us rather than towards us. 

Because I don't believe this to be the case.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #30181 on: August 27, 2021, 03:07:03 PM »
This was an inevitable conclusion.  Everyone who defended NIL to the death as an organized process that would have rules and regulations was kidding themselves. 

I don't think it was inevitable but it is what has happened so far. The NCAA has deliberately chosen to not regulate it.

I can't speak for others, but for me, how it impacted MU was irrelevant. It simply was the right and ethical thing to do. For me, that trumps how it impacts our basketball program.

That being said, I don't think it tilts the playing field as much as people are predicting.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #30182 on: August 27, 2021, 03:21:08 PM »

Because I don't believe this to be the case.
I believe it is the case, that this tilts the field away from a relatively small institution like MU and towards the massive state schools and their equally massive alumni base.

Curious, why do you think that is not the case?
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #30183 on: August 27, 2021, 03:22:25 PM »
I don't think it was inevitable but it is what has happened so far. The NCAA has deliberately chosen to not regulate it.

I can't speak for others, but for me, how it impacted MU was irrelevant. It simply was the right and ethical thing to do. For me, that trumps how it impacts our basketball program.

That being said, I don't think it tilts the playing field as much as people are predicting.

I hope you are right Fluff and TAMU.  But I do not have a good feeling about this and won’t until I see MU affiliated recruits pulling in some good money through endorsements.  Hope this happens before our new coach, or any coach for that matter, leaves over the frustration of not being able to pay the going rate to their recruits.

Warrior Code

• All American
  • Undefeated since 1960
« Reply #30184 on: August 27, 2021, 03:47:34 PM »
NIL will absolutely play a (potentially huge) role, but guys still want to play for coaches/programs that can get them to the league. That isn't going to change. If a player thinks Shaka can get him pro money, he might be willing to forego a few clams while in college. There are limits, of course - if someone out there wants to pay a kid $1 million to play for Youngstown State, he might pick the Penguins over "our" $100,000 offer - but for a lot of these kids, the NBA is the lifelong goal.

That said, I think we do have A) enough alumni with resources and B) no football so we should be fine, sooner or later. Maybe not consistently dropping "5-star quarterback with Alabama, Clemson, and Ohio State competing for his services" pay days, but enough to entice some nice players and play in meaningful games in March.

I hope, anyway.
Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBCode and smileys may be used in your signature.

Ben Golds Five

• Starter
« Reply #30185 on: August 27, 2021, 04:10:29 PM »
Here's a wacky idea.  How about we get back to recruiting in this thread and go talk about NIL here: https://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=62065.175

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #30186 on: August 27, 2021, 07:16:25 PM »
It's wild to me that anyone believed NIL wouldn't be clear and blatant inducement. That's basically peak naivete.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #30187 on: August 27, 2021, 07:49:09 PM »
It's wild to me that anyone believed NIL wouldn't be clear and blatant inducement. That's basically peak naivete.

Oh that I completely expected and didn't care about. I just thought it would be somewhat regulated. So far,  I'm wrong
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #30188 on: August 27, 2021, 10:41:31 PM »
Does it strike anyone else here as silly that the NCAA can still put coaches/programs on probation for contacting a kid in “quiet” period or giving a kid a ride or a tshirt but put no limits on the cash bribes that businesses can pay those same kids?

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #30189 on: August 29, 2021, 09:22:14 AM »

Now that doesn’t necessarily make it bad that these athletes are making additional money in addition to the money they were already making in goods and services.  It does make it more likely that smaller schools will likely slowly be marginalized because they cannot compete financially with the alumni bases and fans of the large public institutions.

No longer is the coach of at a University the ace in the hole that can change the trajectory of a program.  Shaka is not as important as NIL money.   A perceived advantage in the spring with his hire has been neutralized.

bingo!!  i believe this will ruin college sports however.  it took so long to get a semblance of college sports to achieve some parity from a performance standpoint.  now with NIL, it's going to go back to the big dogs being first to the buffet while all the others get the leftovers.  the mid majors will become the minor league feeders to the big markets and whoever espn, cbs et.al. designate to be on the big screen. 

there will be growing pains, but change will be hard to come by.  it will all have to go thru "the big guys".  yes, i'm a free market guy, but not monopolies.  i believe this NIL thing will tilt the playing field to big money and the rules become very vague.  may the best lawyer win

the big allure to college sports has been the drive to get better thru winning and losing.  now, it's going to be all that, but it's putting the smaller markets at an immediate disadvantage.  how many mid majors are going to have that diamond in the rough, under the radar guy turn into a ja morant or a greek freak ?
don't...don't don't don't don't

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #30190 on: August 29, 2021, 09:39:32 AM »
  bingo!!  i believe this will ruin college sports however.  it took so long to get a semblance of college sports to achieve some parity from a performance standpoint.  now with NIL, it's going to go back to the big dogs being first to the buffet while all the others get the leftovers.  the mid majors will become the minor league feeders to the big markets and whoever espn, cbs et.al. designate to be on the big screen. 

there will be growing pains, but change will be hard to come by.  it will all have to go thru "the big guys".  yes, i'm a free market guy, but not monopolies.  i believe this NIL thing will tilt the playing field to big money and the rules become very vague.  may the best lawyer win

the big allure to college sports has been the drive to get better thru winning and losing.  now, it's going to be all that, but it's putting the smaller markets at an immediate disadvantage.  how many mid majors are going to have that diamond in the rough, under the radar guy turn into a ja morant or a greek freak ?

So, nothing is changing then.  6 of 10
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #30191 on: August 29, 2021, 09:49:49 AM »
There has been zero parity in college football for years and years. I mean, what's gonna happen with NIL? Alabama, Clemson, Ohio State and only a few others will be legit championship contenders? How will that be different from what's taken place the last decade?

College basketball is more difficult to thoroughly dominate the way Bama does in football because the professional league that college basketball feeds does not mandate a 3-year commitment from the athletes the way football does. But let's not fool ourselves about there having been more than a dozen serious title contenders the last many years.

I never once argued that it would be an orderly process once rules were changed to let athletes control their own names, images and likenesses -- a right their fellow students, including those on scholarships, have had forever. Indeed, I and most others here said that the change could be very messy, especially at first ... but significant change often has significant "growing pains."

We simply argued that it was the right thing to do for the athletes who work tirelessly for our enjoyment.

NIL will only "ruin" college sports for those who let it be ruined in their minds. After all, if it's all about competitiveness, college football has been "ruined" for years.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #30192 on: August 29, 2021, 10:36:53 AM »

Based upon this…..seems like SS should have stayed at UT.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #30193 on: August 29, 2021, 11:26:16 AM »
What has to happen if you want to compete in this environment is to have your cities corporate world pay for players, if it is Kohls, Harley, Miller, Gruber, ULIne pay up
to get players to come to MU, the question I have for a company in basketball, the best players last 1 year.  then gone.  Now if there that good, they will have to sign
a 3 or 4 year contract with the player no matter where he goes.  Like Johnathon Taylor with UW credit union.  Will a Milwaukee company do that, we will see.  I do
know the corporate world execs paid out Wojo out of there own pocketbook.  Fed X is paying the Memphis players, lets see how that works out for Fed X.  Are those
kids really college students, will they go to class after the first semester, doubt it.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #30194 on: August 29, 2021, 12:23:44 PM »
Are those
kids really college students, will they go to class after the first semester, doubt it.

How is it different from Derrick Rose at Memphis 14 years ago (and so many like him before and since)? How is this different from the 1-and-done Kentucky groups that have gone pro en masse?

Universities with top basketball programs have tolerated this ever since the 1-and-done situation became "a thing." Even those with stellar academic reputations such as Duke and UNC.

One step toward eliminating this situation would be for the NBA to eliminate its rule mandating a year between preps and the league. Because you know who didn't go to college only to stop going to class after the first semester? LeBron, Kobe, Eddy Curry, Kwame Brown, etc.

Now ... how 'bout this recruiting thread, eh?

panda

• All American
« Reply #30195 on: August 29, 2021, 02:10:27 PM »

“I will not standby by and watch all of the top players start going to just Duke and Kentucky!” #notmycollegebasketball

Lol
« Last Edit: August 29, 2021, 03:12:33 PM by panda »

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #30196 on: August 29, 2021, 03:01:45 PM »
How is it different from Derrick Rose at Memphis 14 years ago (and so many like him before and since)? How is this different from the 1-and-done Kentucky groups that have gone pro en masse?

Not only leaving after 1 year, but quitting school as soon as the season is over.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #30197 on: August 29, 2021, 06:57:37 PM »
Not only leaving after 1 year, but quitting school as soon as the season is over.

And you know what? I don’t blame them. They simply used the system to their advantage, just as the system has been using athletes for generations.

This pearl-clutching that certain programs are gonna have an advantage with NIL ignores what we all have known to be true since way before anyone ever heard of the acronym.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #30198 on: August 29, 2021, 08:00:49 PM »
What has to happen if you want to compete in this environment is to have your cities corporate world pay for players, if it is Kohls, Harley, Miller, Gruber, ULIne pay up
to get players to come to MU, the question I have for a company in basketball, the best players last 1 year.  then gone.  Now if there that good, they will have to sign
a 3 or 4 year contract with the player no matter where he goes.  Like Johnathon Taylor with UW credit union.  Will a Milwaukee company do that, we will see.  I do
know the corporate world execs paid out Wojo out of there own pocketbook.  Fed X is paying the Memphis players, lets see how that works out for Fed X.  Are those

Congrats on legitimately being the first person I’ve ever seen type “Fed X”

Ben Golds Five

• Starter
« Reply #30199 on: August 29, 2021, 09:49:38 PM »