[Today at 08:17:02 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by bilsu
[Today at 07:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 05:04:53 PM]

NIL Future by MU82
[Today at 03:21:43 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: The State of MU’s Campus  (Read 7444 times)

wadesworld

• All American
Re: The State of MU’s Campus
« Reply #50 on: May 24, 2023, 08:30:36 AM »
Yeah, regardless of whether there are campuses in the middle of nowhere that have worse options, the food options at and around Marquette for students are a complete joke.  Sure you can get stuff Doordashed by paying double what you should be paying and getting your food after it's sat out for over a half hour.  And I get that there are reasons it is the way it is.  But the options are absolutely horrible.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #51 on: May 24, 2023, 08:37:36 AM »
We're destined for a picture of Mike Lovell with a giant scissors in front of a Panera.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #52 on: May 24, 2023, 08:59:38 AM »
You sound like a Wojo supporter. It’s bad, but it could be wayyyyy worse ! Lol

Ha. I was only responding to the claim that Marquette's situation was the worst in country. Sadly for college students everywhere, it is closer to the average than the worst.

Unfortunate reality is that most non-fast food franchise that tries to depend on college kids as their main source of customers is going to go out of business. Most college kids are broke, prioritize price over quality, have access to already paid for food on campus, and disappear for about a third of the year.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #53 on: May 24, 2023, 09:08:03 AM »
I’m pointing out to you that three very large institutions abut campus and that MU is actively killing leases of good partners. 

So while you’re correct in saying they don’t have an obligation I’m saying that there is a market.

Why is Marquette killing those leases? It's not run by dummies - they obviously have their reasons.  Do they have something else planned for the site? I don't know the answers, but I am sure they will be revealed eventually.

And if there is a market out there, then restaurants will open up elsewhere.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #54 on: May 24, 2023, 09:12:34 AM »
You sound like a Wojo supporter. It’s bad, but it could be wayyyyy worse ! Lol

Former campus restaurants as Marquette head coaches:  I think Wojo was the Dogg Haus.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #55 on: May 24, 2023, 09:15:29 AM »
Why is Marquette killing those leases? It's not run by dummies - they obviously have their reasons.  Do they have something else planned for the site? I don't know the answers, but I am sure they will be revealed eventually.

Making room for the new football stadium
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #56 on: May 24, 2023, 09:23:10 AM »

It's been a few since I have been back. Aside from Real Chili, what is the oldest establishment still remaining?

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #57 on: May 24, 2023, 09:24:59 AM »

More grass lots! Like where Gyro’s and Hegertty’s were
Bring back FFP!!!

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #58 on: May 24, 2023, 09:28:23 AM »
Pizza Shuttle delivers, hey

And the driver will likely do a keg stand and a bong rip with you too.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #59 on: May 24, 2023, 09:33:05 AM »
It’s middle of February, 2am, and you’re at last call at Murphy’s or Caffs. Hey, I got an idea…let’s walk to the third ward to get something to eat.

That's what Chili is for.

And how many businesses can actually stay in business relying on the drunk food business?

Another factor:  Who is going to work at these places?  Fewer and fewer Marquette students work these days, especially at non-glamorous jobs like fast food. Despite being one of the highest-paying jobs on campus,  MUPD  has resorted to signing and referral bonuses to get kids to drive LIMO, and they are still short-staffed.
Have some patience, FFS.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #60 on: May 24, 2023, 09:34:49 AM »

My guess?  They are going to knock down the entire block and build something new.
Have some patience, FFS.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #61 on: May 24, 2023, 09:35:18 AM »
That's what Chili is for.

And how many businesses can actually stay in business relying on the drunk food business?

Another factor:  Who is going to work at these places?  Fewer and fewer Marquette students work these days, especially at non-glamorous jobs like fast food. Despite being one of the highest-paying jobs on campus,  MUPD  has resorted to signing and referral bonuses to get kids to drive LIMO, and they are still short-staffed.

Yup.  Can’t wave a magic staffing wand at places like this and fill the positions.  Between the pay and hours, dealing with drunken college students?  Hard pass
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #62 on: May 24, 2023, 09:48:48 AM »
Making room for the new football stadium

Nah, The Tommy and Joani Crean Soccer Megaplex, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #63 on: May 24, 2023, 12:59:02 PM »
My guess?  They are going to knock down the entire block and build something new.

Agree, and it will probably be soul-less too!

Badgerhater

• All American
« Reply #64 on: May 24, 2023, 07:09:40 PM »
Your family has #MUWBB season tickets.

Where are you going before or after the game?

That is not enough customers to sustain much of anything.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #65 on: May 24, 2023, 10:03:24 PM »
I have not been on campus for many years, but I noticed that no one mentioned food trucks. Are they not working the campus area? It just seems that they are ideally positioned to serve an area where, unlike "bricks and mortar" restaurants, they can easily move on when students are not present- summer, semester and Spring breaks, etc.
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #66 on: May 24, 2023, 10:28:03 PM »
I have not been on campus for many years, but I noticed that no one mentioned food trucks. Are they not working the campus area? It just seems that they are ideally positioned to serve an area where, unlike "bricks and mortar" restaurants, they can easily move on when students are not present- summer, semester and Spring breaks, etc.

Excellent idea.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #67 on: May 25, 2023, 12:03:26 AM »

Students are broke, food trucks are expensive
TAMU

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #68 on: May 25, 2023, 05:52:44 AM »

Not all of them
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #69 on: May 25, 2023, 06:21:53 AM »
There's a taco truck near me that has authentic street tacos for $2 a piece-or 3 for $5-my favorite is steak, cilantro, and onions. That would kill on campus.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #70 on: May 25, 2023, 07:54:11 AM »

Very broad assumption. Not your style. I mean....how do you know this? All of them are broke? I'm guessing this is implied teal. 
« Last Edit: May 25, 2023, 08:16:05 AM by Scoop Snoop »
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #71 on: May 25, 2023, 09:01:22 AM »
Very broad assumption. Not your style. I mean....how do you know this? All of them are broke? I'm guessing this is implied teal.

You're kidding right? Vast majority of college students have very little disposable income.
TAMU

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #72 on: May 25, 2023, 09:06:19 AM »
There's a taco truck near me that has authentic street tacos for $2 a piece-or 3 for $5-my favorite is steak, cilantro, and onions. That would kill on campus.

Would it? That's $5 more than an already paid for meal at the dining halls. Undoubtedly it would get some business but if there was a market for it food tricks would go there.

TAMU opened a food truck park on campus a few years ago.  It closed within a year because students weren't going and that was before current inflation. It admittedly wasn't in the best location but it was still in a area with plenty of foot traffic
TAMU

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #73 on: May 25, 2023, 09:15:44 AM »
Would it? That's $5 more than an already paid for meal at the dining halls. Undoubtedly it would get some business but if there was a market for it food tricks would go there.

TAMU opened a food truck park on campus a few years ago.  It closed within a year because students weren't going and that was before current inflation. It admittedly wasn't in the best location but it was still in a area with plenty of foot traffic
I believe it would. Park on the street near the bars between 10 and 2 on Friday and Saturday night. That's the whole point of food trucks, being mobile and hitting the hotspots.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #74 on: May 25, 2023, 09:19:04 AM »
You're kidding right? Vast majority of college students have very little disposable income.
Yes. That's why the bars are empty every weekend.