collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: The State of MU’s Campus  (Read 7541 times)

Coleman

• All American
Re: The State of MU’s Campus
« Reply #100 on: May 30, 2023, 03:15:54 PM »
Totally false.  Marquette does not have the monopoly on campus.  Sodexo does.  Their agreement with Marquette gives them that.  If it is some sort of official function on campus, you are required to order all of your food and drinks from Sodexo. 

My daughter was in charge of a pancake breakfast fundraiser for her sorority's charity, and she was not allowed to hold it on campus unless they bought all the food from Sodexo.  That would have meant little or not profit, so they wound up having it in the common area of a nearby apartment building (the Marq before the school purchased it) so they could make their own pancakes and buy juice, syrup, etc. from Costco.

TL;DR - Marquette has no stake in making on-campus food a monopoly.

So when Freshmen buy a meal plan on their Marquette Card, MU doesn't see a dime of that? They let Sodexho run this monopoly with nothing in return? (genuinely asking, not trying to be a little sh*t)
« Last Edit: May 30, 2023, 03:18:55 PM by Coleman »

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #101 on: May 30, 2023, 03:29:05 PM »
So when Freshmen buy a meal plan on their Marquette Card, MU doesn't see a dime of that? They let Sodexho run this monopoly with nothing in return? (genuinely asking, not trying to be a little sh*t)

I don't know exactly how it works, but I don't think it's Marquette's goal to profit off of the meal plan.  It's a service that needs to be  provided to students.

When it's contract time, I am sure that every interested company submits a bid to the University, which tries to choose the plan that will meet students' needs best at the most reasonable price to the student.

Regarding the monopoly I was talking about (and I am way oversimplifying things), they probably give Marquette a better deal in exchange for having a monopoly on all food service on campus.  For all I know, that might be a pretty standard clause in college food service contracts.
Have some patience, FFS.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #102 on: May 30, 2023, 03:52:35 PM »
chick, you by and large have it right. It is simply outsourcing of food service for both students and for on-campus catering. Marquette grants them a "monopoly" for a fixed term. Marquette might make SOME money off of it though. For instance, sometimes the outsourced firm will agree to sponsoring a certain dollar amount of various campus events. It's pretty standard at most institutions - it's pretty rare to see schools of Marquette's size to run a food service with its own employees.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #103 on: May 30, 2023, 03:59:32 PM »
If Marquette isn't making a significant profit off of food plans, why do they require students that live in the dorms to have a food plan?  I know most would anyway because it's hard to find ways to cook for yourself, but why isn't it an option rather than a requirement?
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

• All American
« Reply #104 on: May 30, 2023, 04:12:29 PM »
If Marquette isn't making a significant profit off of food plans, why do they require students that live in the dorms to have a food plan?  I know most would anyway because it's hard to find ways to cook for yourself, but why isn't it an option rather than a requirement?

1. Because part of their food plan likely partly covers the fixed costs for equipment, etc.

2. The contract with the provider may require a minimum amount of participation.

3. Requiring a food plan at least in the first year is usually considered a best practice because it helps build connections with classmates, etc.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #105 on: May 30, 2023, 04:19:37 PM »
1. Because part of their food plan likely partly covers the fixed costs for equipment, etc.

2. The contract with the provider may require a minimum amount of participation.

3. Requiring a food plan at least in the first year is usually considered a best practice because it helps build connections with classmates, etc.

Also, most cooking appliances (other than a microwave) are prohibited due to fire safety reasons.
Have some patience, FFS.

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #106 on: May 30, 2023, 06:10:38 PM »
Also, most cooking appliances (other than a microwave) are prohibited due to fire safety reasons.

Bad ass alert, I had a toaster oven in my room. It was awesome
Bring back FFP!!!

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #107 on: May 30, 2023, 08:33:06 PM »
Bad ass alert, I had a toaster oven in my room. It was awesome

Weak.  We had a wood fired brick pizza oven in our room in Schroeder.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #108 on: May 30, 2023, 08:44:25 PM »
Pellet smoker in ours with the pizza oven attachment.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #109 on: May 30, 2023, 09:47:15 PM »
Norbs has a nice hot dog stand right off campus, I noticed.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #110 on: May 31, 2023, 04:26:50 AM »
Pellet smoker in ours with the pizza oven attachment.

and the lines forming out your door were endless

btw, i still can't get a pizza oven attachment.  no one has them until august i believe.  anyone know how to make these bad boys could be a rich man
« Last Edit: May 31, 2023, 06:51:06 AM by rocket surgeon »
don't...don't don't don't don't

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #111 on: May 31, 2023, 01:16:50 PM »

and the lines forming out your door were endless

btw, i still can't get a pizza oven attachment.  no one has them until august i believe.  anyone know how to make these bad boys could be a rich man

Just get one of these bad boys and never look back.

https://ooni.com/

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #112 on: June 01, 2023, 05:23:47 AM »
Just get one of these bad boys and never look back.

https://ooni.com/

i've heard those oonies are really really good, but expensive.  i also have a weber natural gas grill plus the smoker/grill. last thing i need is ANOTHER grill.  just need the adjunct to the smoker
don't...don't don't don't don't

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #113 on: June 01, 2023, 07:58:36 AM »
I don't know exactly how it works, but I don't think it's Marquette's goal to profit off of the meal plan.  It's a service that needs to be  provided to students.

When it's contract time, I am sure that every interested company submits a bid to the University, which tries to choose the plan that will meet students' needs best at the most reasonable price to the student.

Regarding the monopoly I was talking about (and I am way oversimplifying things), they probably give Marquette a better deal in exchange for having a monopoly on all food service on campus.  For all I know, that might be a pretty standard clause in college food service contracts.

Depends on what you mean by profit. A GAAP profit, inclusive of fully allocated costs, no. But a strong contribution margin, yes. Like anything else, residence life expects to "cover its costs" and turn something back to the university. The "back to the university" is positive contribution margin designed to cover depreciation (which, based on what I knew about residence halls was NEVER reinvested back in the product), corporate overhead and other fixed costs without a corresponding revenue source.

The monopoly is a necessary requirement to make the fixed costs invested by Sodexo recoverable. There's an operating cost associated with setting up residence hall food services and if there's no monopoly, what's to keep someone from bringing in a competing catering service? I doubt anyone would be competitive in a university or corporate setting under those circumstances.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #114 on: June 01, 2023, 08:07:18 AM »
Depends on what you mean by profit. A GAAP profit, inclusive of fully allocated costs, no. But a strong contribution margin, yes. Like anything else, residence life expects to "cover its costs" and turn something back to the university. The "back to the university" is positive contribution margin designed to cover depreciation (which, based on what I knew about residence halls was NEVER reinvested back in the product), corporate overhead and other fixed costs without a corresponding revenue source.

The monopoly is a necessary requirement to make the fixed costs invested by Sodexo recoverable. There's an operating cost associated with setting up residence hall food services and if there's no monopoly, what's to keep someone from bringing in a competing catering service? I doubt anyone would be competitive in a university or corporate setting under those circumstances.
I agree with this analysis.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #115 on: June 01, 2023, 09:25:55 AM »

I'd be fine with requiring it the first year. Two years is a bit much, considering the costs of the food plan and Marquette in general.

College costs are becoming absolutely insane. These rules were put in place decades ago when things were cheaper. It is time to allow for more flexibility, and an easy place to start is not requiring people to live in expensive dorms and purchase expensive food plans their sophomore year.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2023, 09:28:54 AM by Coleman »

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #116 on: June 01, 2023, 09:33:00 AM »
I'd be fine with requiring it the first year. Two years is a bit much, considering the costs of the food plan and Marquette in general.

College costs are becoming absolutely insane. These rules were put in place decades ago when things were cheaper. It is time to allow for more flexibility, and an easy place to start is not requiring people to live in expensive dorms and purchase expensive food plans their sophomore year.

It would be pretty silly to live in the dorm and not have a food plan. Especially since there’s no where to eat on campus. I can’t imagine many students would choose that if offered
Bring back FFP!!!

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #117 on: June 01, 2023, 09:35:51 AM »
It would be pretty silly to live in the dorm and not have a food plan. Especially since there’s no where to eat on campus. I can’t imagine many students would choose that if offered

Sultan, are you aware of any campus that allows you to live in the dorms without a food plan?
Have some patience, FFS.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #118 on: June 01, 2023, 09:39:29 AM »
Sultan, are you aware of any campus that allows you to live in the dorms without a food plan?

I know at UW-Madison it was optional. My then-girlfriend lived in the dorms there and they were not required to buy a food plan. They had a system similar to Marquette Cash where you could load up your ID and pay for food as you went. I don't remember if you paid for food items a la carte, or if it was a flat fee per meal. But no plan required.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2023, 09:41:27 AM by Coleman »

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #119 on: June 01, 2023, 09:45:40 AM »
My friend's son went to George Washington U in DC.  My kid scratched off this school from her list after visiting and learning this.   They don't have dining halls at GWU and the meal plan was similar to the as mentioned Marquette Cash where you load up your ID and pay for food as you went at local establishments that supposedly had negotiated with GWU.   My kid thought that was too much work as to figure out where to eat lunch & dinner everyday and may be inconveniently located to your class schedule.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #120 on: June 01, 2023, 09:59:13 AM »
Dayton uses a 100% ala carte plan. While there is no need to figure out where to eat, the kids there have to deal with the hassle of budgeting their dining dollars. I was glad none of my kids attended a school where that was required. I know that my son in particular would have been calling me about halfway through the semester asking for more money in his meal plan.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #121 on: June 01, 2023, 10:07:33 AM »

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #122 on: June 01, 2023, 10:10:23 AM »
ABD

I agree with this analysis.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #123 on: June 01, 2023, 10:19:56 AM »
Dayton uses a 100% ala carte plan. While there is no need to figure out where to eat, the kids there have to deal with the hassle of budgeting their dining dollars. I was glad none of my kids attended a school where that was required. I know that my son in particular would have been calling me about halfway through the semester asking for more money in his meal plan.

To be clear, I have nothing against offering a meal plan for people like your son.

I just don't think it should be required.

• All American
« Reply #124 on: June 01, 2023, 10:31:54 AM »

Many public universities don't require a plan.