collapse

* Recent Posts

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by GoldenEagles03
[April 27, 2024, 11:54:22 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 10:13:14 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by tower912
[April 27, 2024, 08:53:54 PM]

Banquet by tower912
[April 27, 2024, 07:39:53 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 04:23:26 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by mugrad_89
[April 27, 2024, 12:29:11 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[April 27, 2024, 08:16:25 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: The State of MU’s Campus  (Read 7564 times)

warriorchick

• All American
Re: The State of MU’s Campus
« Reply #150 on: August 05, 2023, 10:58:56 AM »
UCF. Pay as you go is an option. Most students don’t get the plan.
Oh and door dash is a popular way for students to get food these days. Ask my bank account. :'(

You should give flyer Jr a set amount each month and make her budget. That is what we did with our kids when they got off the dorm food plan.
Have some patience, FFS.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #151 on: August 05, 2023, 01:11:57 PM »
You should give flyer Jr a set amount each month and make her budget. That is what we did with our kids when they got off the dorm food plan.
I agree with this analysis.[/b]
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #152 on: August 05, 2023, 02:27:23 PM »
I think it's amazing that some people are saying this building is remotely attractive.  There is nothing redeeming about it aesthetically.  It blends ugly with some glass.

As if they rammed two ugly out of date structures together.  It's four boxes with no outdoor indoor transition.  No overhangs, no greenery.  The straight edges do nothing but make the building feel like a dressed up warehouse.  Clean lines are one thing, but what the hell is this thing?  Skinny tall windows on the brick portion evoke brutalist feelings, like the University took a shipping container and covered it in bricks... which is not great for a building as front and center and new as this monstrosity.  Without being there, I can feel the wind whipping off the cold depressing edges of this building cutting through three layers of clothing in January.    Imagine visiting Marquette that time of year and this is what you see whan you're driving east down Wisconsin ave.  Bricks.  A slice of glass.  And then another flat brick facade.  The entire building is a study in repulsion.  It's the worst looking building on that corner, and by a long shot.  The Walgreens across the street has more character.   I cannot express in words how much I loathe this building's design.

Contrast the Business school with the Engineering building diagonal from it.  Windows outnumber bricks, crenelations break up the top edge of the building, the inviting overhang gives students a chance to adapt to the conditions... room to open an umbrella, zip a coat, or dig out a hat or mittens.  Is the building perfect?  No.  Does it suffer from a lot of 'sameism' as a lot of new construction in the last ten years?  Sure.  The same could be said about the Law building.  But at least both are interesting to look at, or look from.

You can't rip on the Wehr builds and not find this equally hideous.  It competes with the Hamel music building on the UW campus for the ugliest university building constructed in Wisconsin recently.

panda

• All American
« Reply #153 on: August 05, 2023, 02:28:55 PM »
I think it's amazing that some people are saying this building is remotely attractive.  There is nothing redeeming about it aesthetically.  It blends ugly with some glass.

As if they rammed two ugly out of date structures together.  It's four boxes with no outdoor indoor transition.  No overhangs, no greenery.  The straight edges do nothing but make the building feel like a dressed up warehouse.  Clean lines are one thing, but what the hell is this thing?  Skinny tall windows on the brick portion evoke brutalist feelings, like the University took a shipping container and covered it in bricks... which is not great for a building as front and center and new as this monstrosity.  Without being there, I can feel the wind whipping off the cold depressing edges of this building cutting through three layers of clothing in January.    Imagine visiting Marquette that time of year and this is what you see whan you're driving east down Wisconsin ave.  Bricks.  A slice of glass.  And then another flat brick facade.  The entire building is a study in repulsion.  It's the worst looking building on that corner, and by a long shot.  The Walgreens across the street has more character.   I cannot express in words how much I loathe this building's design.

Contrast the Business school with the Engineering building diagonal from it.  Windows outnumber bricks, crenelations break up the top edge of the building, the inviting overhang gives students a chance to adapt to the conditions... room to open an umbrella, zip a coat, or dig out a hat or mittens.  Is the building perfect?  No.  Does it suffer from a lot of 'sameism' as a lot of new construction in the last ten years?  Sure.  The same could be said about the Law building.  But at least both are interesting to look at, or look from.

You can't rip on the Wehr builds and not find this equally hideous.  It competes with the Hamel music building on the UW campus for the ugliest university building constructed in Wisconsin recently.

Whats you’re top 5 ugliest buildings in Wisco ?

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #154 on: August 05, 2023, 02:52:40 PM »
Whats you’re top 5 ugliest buildings in Wisco ?

Mosse Humanities, Van Vleck, new business school, your house, yo mommas house.

But for real, those first three are god awful and only the third one is new.

panda

• All American
« Reply #155 on: August 05, 2023, 02:55:22 PM »
Mosse Humanities, Van Vleck, new business school, your house, yo mommas house.

But for real, those first three are god awful and only the third one is new.

My mother rents so screw you

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #156 on: August 05, 2023, 02:57:22 PM »
My mother rents so screw you

That's her job, and I pay that rent.  It's just an ugly building to match her. ;D

panda

• All American
« Reply #157 on: August 05, 2023, 03:00:03 PM »
That's her job, and I pay that rent.  It's just an ugly building to match her. ;D

That doesn’t even make sense

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #158 on: August 05, 2023, 03:50:10 PM »
She does and actually stays under it. It’s just the $ amount for a door dash meal kills me.